Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

freshlybaked posted:

Disappointed that fiddling with these remotes is just for moving big robot-shaped blocks out of the way instead of actually playing rock-em sock-em with these machines you've been fighting.

Yeah missed loving opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, Toko might have some objections about doing Robot Wars XXL in the building that contains Byakuya.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Wait, how is Sakura's person still alive? He was supposed to have less than a year to live when Sakura went to Hope's Peak and its been at least two years.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

grandalt posted:

Wait, how is Sakura's person still alive? He was supposed to have less than a year to live when Sakura went to Hope's Peak and its been at least two years.

Anime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grandalt posted:

He was too badass for disease to take him down so easily.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Alternatively like Nagito his fatal disease was less fatal than predicted. Maybe Mikan healed then both on Junko’s orders.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

grandalt posted:

Because sometimes, people beat the odds. The house always wins, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Random request: If there's somebody reading this that happens to be able to extract resources from this game, be it from the Vita or the PC version, I'm looking for a particular texture to do a thing with.

I spent about three hours trying with both the PC version and the Vita version and failed with both.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What engine does the game use? Ultimately it's probably a question for the Tech Support Fort, but if you can narrow that down it will help to direct that conversation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

NGDBSS posted:

What engine does the game use? Ultimately it's probably a question for the Tech Support Fort, but if you can narrow that down it will help to direct that conversation.

Well, here's my predicament:

- In my attempts to extract the PC version, I found several tools made for this purpose. The problem being that while I can apparently extract the files from the .cpk files that contain the files using QuickBMS, I'm stuck with .btx textures. These are supposed to be able to be converted with utilities like GXTConvert or Scarlet, but it doesn't work. There's even an issue on the Github for Scarlet that states that UDG's PC version does the textures slightly differently and therefore the extraction doesn't work, and there's a fix for the code listed, but it hasn't been implemented. So I'm not seeing a way forward here.

- In my attempts to extract the Vita version, I'm just straight stuck trying to extract the .psvimg files I transferred from my Vita copy. I tried using psvimgtools, both in the command line and the frontend version, but either way, the files just end up corrupted and I can't open simple PNG files from it, so I doubt the textures would work either.

The reason I'm asking here is because this seems to be a very specific problem either way - it's a bad sign when the less specific thing is trying to extract files from PS Vita games - so the most likely place to find somebody who knows about the very specific situation of trying to extract files from UDG in particular would be here, IMO, though I could ask in the Fort as well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

There's even an issue on the Github for Scarlet that states that UDG's PC version does the textures slightly differently and therefore the extraction doesn't work, and there's a fix for the code listed, but it hasn't been implemented. So I'm not seeing a way forward here.
This means there's a solution.

I found the issue you're referring to and if that fix does indeed solve it, it's a question of cloning the git repo, applying the fix, and recompiling the program to make an UDG-specific version for your usage.

I'd help you out but it's a C# project and I'm not familiar with the C# environment at all. But this would be very easy to do for any C# developer, so if you can find one to help you out that'd do the trick.

Edit: I asked someone on IRC if they can try, so hold on...

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Reading the issue in more detail (it's here for others who might care: https://github.com/xdanieldzd/Scarlet/issues/8 ), there seem to be two different issues:
1. For the .btx files, the header is different, and you can't decrypt them because of that.
2. For .shtx files, the colors are off.

Now, for issue 1, it seems you can fix that by hand.

I downloaded the Examples.zip in the first post in that issue thread and opened the file called "Example-DDS1DDS.decompressed.btx". If you can get your hands on a decompressed file like that, you're most of the way there.

Open that file in a text editor such as Notepad, Notepad++ or Sublime Text. You should see a whole lot of hexadecimal code. If it starts out with '4444 5331 4444' you got the right file! Just remove the '4444 5331 ' from the start of the file, save it change the extension to .dds and you should got a file you can open.
(In case you're wondering "4444 5331" is hex for that DDS1 string that is wrong according to that post)

If you CAN'T get the decompressed file that starts with '4444 5331' because you can't even decompress the compressed .btx file at all, things will be harder. In that case it MIGHT work to open the compressed .btx file in a text editor, look for the same code (44445331, there might be some spaces between the numbers), and delete that. Then try decompressing it and changing the file extension to .dds. If that doesn't work I'm kinda out of options.

Then for part 2, the colour problem with the .shtx files, the person on IRC just made a special build of the program that should solve it. This build cannot be used for any game other than DR:UDG PC version.
However, they had to guess where to change the code exactly and had no good way of testing it, so they just sent me the new program. I will PM you a link to the special build of the program, can you let me know if it works?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 19, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Carbon dioxide posted:

I downloaded the Examples.zip in the first post in that issue thread and opened the file called "Example-DDS1DDS.decompressed.btx". If you can get your hands on a decompressed file like that, you're most of the way there.

Open that file in a text editor such as Notepad, Notepad++ or Sublime Text. You should see a whole lot of hexadecimal code. If it starts out with '4444 5331 4444' you got the right file! Just remove the '4444 5331 ' from the start of the file, save it change the extension to .dds and you should got a file you can open.
(In case you're wondering "4444 5331" is hex for that DDS1 string that is wrong according to that post)

For those wondering, this is what the problem I was running into was. So thanks to the help from Carbon dioxide, I have now created this:

And will be looking to use it in something special.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Wonderful Dead 005

Alright, time to continue on our way through Towa Hills. We have Masaru's and Nagisa's robot to move. And you know what that means!

More Monoku-Man!

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Activate

So, this one took me a bit. And it's not like that birthday puzzle where I could just gloss over my idiocy, here we have it all on video. As you might have noticed from the music not being the regular "It's A Monokuma World", but instead the track more associated with puzzles given to us by Monokuma kids, this is a bit of a different one.

We are given this hint.

On the other side, there are four pictures in this order.

Also, there's four Monokumas standing around in the room. If we Link up with them, we see this:

The Siren is looking at a 4.

The normal Monokuma is looking at a 9.

The Guard is looking at a 3.

And the Bomber is looking at an 8.

Now, with that information, I thought the password must be 3948. First the Bomber, then we have a mirror showing Komaru. Komaru = normal => next the normal Monokuma. Then the Siren, then the Guard. But that's not the answer. Instead, the mirror means that the number here is something only Komaru can see. And that...

...is this. Zero.

So that makes the correct password 3048.

That opens the gate...

...and lets us move on to Nagisa's room.

And just like before, we then move the robot out of the way using the controls we find in the room.

And just like before, we find a collectible near the robot after that.

Nagisa's father seemed to be considering that he hadn't been extreme enough in his methods.

Now, on to the next Monoku-Man room.

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

This one is relatively simple. Basically, you need to Move the right cars to free the way to shoot the car all the way at the end at the right time to flatten all the Junk Monokumas.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

Like this.

This lets us go to Masaru's room. There's something that looks like a collectible, but it's actually something we automatically pick up when we get close.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Just trust in Monaca, and even "brainrinsing" is easy as pie! As long as they wear the "Monokuma Head," everyone's our ally! If this keeps up, the paradise will be completed in no time... And when that happens, I'll bring peace to the entire world next!

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

He clearly means "brainwash."
Brainwashing... Does that really exist? I've only seen that in science fiction!
No... That level of technology was developed long ago. Technology like that...can't exactly be advertised to the public, can it?
I figured this was the case... The masterminds made the other kids wear those helmet things to brainwash them.
That's even more reason we gotta stop the adults from fighting the children. I mean, if they were under mind control, they aren't really to blame at all, right?
I know how you feel, but... It's better if you don't think about that.
...Huh? What do you mean?
I know that you're growing, but... I have a bad feeling about this. The way you've grown... I feel like this whole situation has been a setup.
Setup? By who?
The one who teamed up with that white-haired guy, trying to bring you all the way here...
And here you are, right in the kids' HQ. It's exactly as that person planned...
But even if that's true, if I just run away, I can't do anything about this war, right?
R-Right, but...

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

It's going to be alright. I don't know whose idea this was, or why they're doing this, but...
As long as we stop this violence, nothing else matters!
You're right... We've come this far. Only thing to do now is believe in ourselves and go for it.
You're really starting to sound like him now...
Huh? Y-You think so?
D-Don't blush! It's just like I said, brother complex!

After that, we move the robot away and free up the way forward.

Also, looking around, it seems like Masaru is a fan of Italian football club Juventus Turin...

...and the Brazillian national football team.

Once again, we get a collectible at the base of the moved robot.

You know, thinking about it, Masaru's abuse is strangely... normal compared to the other Warriors. Like, compared to getting psychologically abused to the point you develop monumental self-loathing and spend your entire life wearing a mask, child prostitution, and being turned into a walking experiment on talent, "just" having an alcoholic father that beats you is fairly normal in comparison.

Well, let's open the door and move on.

Hmph, what, she gets special treatment or something just because she's the mastermind?

Moving on, we get another really swanky looking office area.

Next to another panicking kid, we have another collectible.

Hrm.

Up the escalators, we find an elevator.

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

It's no use... It's not budging.
Do we need a card key like we did for the elevator at Towa Tower?
Then... We can't use this elevator, huh?
But it doesn't look like the other elevator's gonna move, so we have to work with this one.
Wait a minute... Would Haiji maybe have a card key? He is the heir to the Towa Group...
Even if he did, that coward mole is in the middle of a fight with his Big Bang Monokuma...

Wh-Why are you here!?
Same reason you're here. You're looking for the device to control Monokumas, right?
You too?
The Monokumas from all over Towa swarmed me all at once. Even with Big Bang, there were too many. So the plan's changed. Destroy the controller first, make the enemy lose their edge.
After the Monokumas are out of the picture, we're just dealing with kids. We can turn this around.
Is that...Shirokuma's advice?
...Hm? So what if it is?
Ah, no... Nothing.
But I had no idea you two were already here. No wonder we didn't run into too many of 'em.
Anyways...good timing. Do you have a card key for this elevator?
...No, we don't need a card key for this... This elevator only works with retinal identification.
Retinal? Is that an animal...?
Retinal means eye...

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

But... Why's it locked in the first place? This lock shouldn't be on unless it's been manually set. Last time I saw, it was open... So who locked it? Don't tell me... Is this also her doing? She trying to toy with me...?
Stop your creepy mumbling to yourself and open it. Your eyes will work fine, won't they?
No, the only thing that can release the lock is the eyes of Towa Group's chairman.
The chairman? Your father? You said... He was missing.
Missing, right... I only said that because... I didn't want to admit it... ...The old man is dead. The kids killed him.
What!?
Wait a minute, if he was killed, then retinal scanning isn't even gonna work anymore!
No, as long as we have his eyes, the scanner should still work. So... All we gotta do is bring the old man's body back here.
...H-His body!?
Yeah. I think that's what whoever locked this door wanted me to do. After all... His body is on this floor.
On this floor?
Yeah, on this floor for sure. He was killed right before my eyes.

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

You're...not coming with us?
If I have to go along with her sick little games... I'd rather give up entirely. Besides, it might be faster to just destroy this whole building with Big Bang Monokuma.
Wh-What're you talking about!? We're still *in* this building!
I know, I know. I'm just kidding.

So, we get to head out and try to find a corpse. Fun stuff.

Jeez, Toko. You're just doing it on purpose now.

Anyway, the game is totally set up to gently caress you here by ambushing you with a ton of Bombers in a situation where getting hit with a single grenade is a guaranteed death thanks to falling down the pit.

Thankfully, if you take things carefully, you can remove the danger by hitting one of the Bombers with Knockback early and blowing them all up that way.

This is your fault, Toko! Now Komaru's chipping away at the fourth wall too! Anyway, Knockback deals with the problems with ease. The present you see there contains 300 Monocoins, and there's a collectible nearby too.

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

MORE MONEY! I have to deselect some skills to get the SP for this, but it's worth it.

Moving on, we find the door to the chairman's office, and also some more scared Monokuma kids.

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

Ugh, I was so shocked I really drew out that last word...

...Hey, Toko...
Wh-What? Did you find it?
I did, but... What should I do...? It's laying on the floor... It's looking at me.
Y-You don't have to give me the details! I-If you don't think it'll work...
But if we give up now... We won't be able to get through... And then all the people of the town might end up like this... ...
...I'll do it... Yeah, I'll do it.

What's that paper bag? No, wait, never mind... I don't wanna know.
Yeah... Probably better if you don't. Okay, let's head back to the retinal scanning place...
Y-Yeah...

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

On our way back through the room with the pit, things get a bit hairy, with Guards on the main path and Destroyers and Bombers on the left and right to us. In fact, I game over here because like I said earlier, getting hit by a Bomber is pretty much a death sentence. The second time around, things go better.

Now, let's check out that elevator again.

This is a very special scene. I very much recommend you watch it.

Okay, I'm taking it out of the bag...
Y-Yeah, you do it... Hurry up and do it already...
Don't rush me...

We hear the sound of the elevator unlocking.

That... We don't need it anymore, right? Just... Just throw it.
N-No, I can't! I'll get divine punishment!
Divine punishment, sensing ghosts... That's enough of your occult stories! Divine punishment is a fiction the living created. The dead have no power.
That...might be true, but...

...Huh?
Toko? Did you say something?
Huh? I didn't say anything.
Th-That's strange, for some reason... I thought I heard a voice...
I was *just* telling you to stop with that stuff!
Miss... Miss...
See! I hear it aga--

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

What...? What happened? What are you shouting about all of a sudden?
G-G-G-Ghost! The ghost of a severed head!
I told you, now's not the time for fooling around!
I'm serious!

I-I-I-I'm sorry! I was surprised, I dropped it on accident! I didn't mean to!
...Huh?

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

I-I'm really sorry! I apologize, please! Don't curse me!
Curse you...? There's no way I'd do something so lowly. I just...want you to listen.
L-Listen...?
Komaru, get a hold of yourself! You're hallucinating!
My name is Tokuichi Towa... I was the chairman of Towa Group in the past...
I-I know... You're Mister Haiji's father, right?

DUN

DUN

DUNNNNNN

Little sister...? Monaca!?

And when I attended elementary school, I was called the Li'l Ultimate Homeroom.

Hm, so you do know about Monaca. In that case, I can get right to the point. I beg you, no matter what, using any means necessary...stop Monaca from going out of control! If you let her do this, the name of Towa will be finished!
...This is bad, Komaru's chatting up an illusion! I gotta bring her back to her senses...
The ungrateful child, she forgets she is in my debt for taking her in, and revolts against me!?
Taking her in...?
...That whelp's mother was my mistress. But that bitch abandoned her responsibility and forced Monaca on me when she was a baby.
But isn't a father expected to raise his own child?
If her mother wasn't going to raise her, I wouldn't have tolerated the pregnancy at all!
Th-That's horrible...
I even let her stay in our home and raised her. I could have easily left her in an orphanage... But that child made me end up like this... She killed her own father! It's all that woman's fault! She's the one who made Monaca insane... I knew something was wrong the moment I noticed Monaca growing more rebellious...
Wait, "that woman"?
Even thinking about her horrifies me... Hm?

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

The power of Christ compels you!

Phew, looks like you're back to your senses... There's no way that stupid chant would work on a *real* ghost! You were dreaming it!
Dreaming...? But he told me a lot of things! About the Towa family...
Argh, it was all just a delusion!
...Really...? A delusion...?
Look, you're tired. Dream about stuff when you're in bed after this is all over.
I-I still don't get it, but...okay.

So, that just happened. Next time, we take the elevator to the upper levels, and meet a new ally!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yu Mo Gui Gwai Fai Di Zao.

Apparently in the Japanese scene she's just saying a bunch of random phrases in a vaguely mantra-ish way.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sometimes, the localisation decisions are Good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean this is a good twist but it's delivered in a really clumsy way.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

AIYYY JACKIE!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

AIYYY JACKIE!

Happy i'm not the only one who thought of that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dangit Ronpaul really is something else

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently in the Japanese scene she's just saying a bunch of random phrases in a vaguely mantra-ish way.

Which is what, in Toko's mind, proves that it was all just a delusion, since a real ghost (which don't exist) wouldn't have been scared away by a fake mantra spoken by someone who doesn't know anything about Buddhism.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

TheDavies posted:

Which is what, in Toko's mind, proves that it was all just a delusion, since a real ghost (which don't exist) wouldn't have been scared away by a fake mantra spoken by someone who doesn't know anything about Buddhism.

Maybe the ghost doesn't know anything about buddhism?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Something I'm curious about-Is Monaca, in the JP version, written in kanji or katakana? Because it's weird for someone to give an elder brother an actual Japanese name and his little sister an English one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait, where did fuckhead go? I know he said he couldn't be a part of the dad's body -> scanner process, but he's still around the building somewhere right? Asking him if Monaca was his sister all along and he was a fuckhead for not telling the girls would have cleared up the whole real/fake dilemma.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

Something I'm curious about-Is Monaca, in the JP version, written in kanji or katakana? Because it's weird for someone to give an elder brother an actual Japanese name and his little sister an English one.

I have no idea what character type this is, but it's written like this, which I do know comes out as "Monaka" from a lot of pictures in my fanart collection.

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, where did fuckhead go? I know he said he couldn't be a part of the dad's body -> scanner process, but he's still around the building somewhere right? Asking him if Monaca was his sister all along and he was a fuckhead for not telling the girls would have cleared up the whole real/fake dilemma.

Haiji is really just doing whatever. Just shows up, tells Komaru to behead a corpse and bring it back, fucks off, and then maybe shows up later again, if he feels like it.

Also, asking Haiji about whether Monaca is a Towa will probably not get a decisive answer. Consider what the other adults would do if they realized the mastermind behind this entire shitshow was actually a Towa and that Haiji was lying about that all this time. Things would, uh, not go well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yep, that's katakana for "Monaca".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's the same thing Professor X chants when he's using his mind powers in the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" video.

https://youtu.be/plQIf5fS8xw?t=78

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 20, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Now I'm worried about whether the pedophile with the child-destroying robot wants to gently caress his deranged little sister.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Haiji's always had an angry face when talking about Monaca thus far, so I'd imagine not.

McGavin posted:

That's the same thing Professor X chants when he's using his mind powers in the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" video.

https://youtu.be/plQIf5fS8xw?t=78

Yeah, it's from Jackie Chan Adventures.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Haiji's always had an angry face when talking about Monaca thus far, so I'd imagine not.

On the other hand, could it be that there's a reason why Monaca (if she is indeed the nebulous "her" Haiji keeps talking about) seems to be intentionally trying to gently caress with Haiji, trying to mentally torture him? Just asking questions here.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah I can't imagine a man lusting and resenting an object of lust at the same time, especially when said attraction has a whole bunch of social stigma around it

Glibness aside, casually revealing Haiji's pedophilia and then never bringing it up again would embody the haphazard spirit of Danganronpa writing...

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I believe that's Cantonese for "ghosts, ghouls and goblins get out now" (more or less). Not sure if it's ever used in real exorcisms but definitely not random.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No, I was making a reference and also sharing an unrelated fact.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

dotchan posted:

I believe that's Cantonese for "ghosts, ghouls and goblins get out now" (more or less). Not sure if it's ever used in real exorcisms but definitely not random.

Is basically is, and was a great Easter Egg to me hearing it on TV when growing up.

TheDavies posted:

Aren't there real Buddhist mantras that pop culture would lead you to believe are capable of exorcizing ghosts?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, last time, we had a close encounter of the spiritual kind, and now the elevator is unlocked.

But before that, we need to check this place out.

Some more Monokuma kids hiding here...

...and also a collectible.

Be of use? For what?
For proposing to Master, obviously! Once we're out of here, we'll make a vow right away!
Ah, you can't do that, Toko!
Can't? What do you mean I "can't"? Are you saying that Master rejecting me is a forgone conclusion? That I should just give up!?
No! I'm saying that if you keep talking like that, you're totally raising your death flag!
...Huh?
Oh, you don't know? A "death flag"?
Like, imagine in a mystery novel, when a bunch of people are trapped in a mansion... One guy always says something like, "there's no way I'm staying" and runs off alone. Talking like that or making a dumb decision pretty much means they're gonna die. A death flag.
I know what it *is*, I just don't believe in a stupid jinx like that!
Toko, no! That's also a death flag!
What, I can't say that either!?
Characters who don't believe in curses or the power of God *always* get killed off!
Th-That might be true, but...
Jeez, stop raising all those death flags! Now we're really in a pinch!
Jeez... How much do you believe in that stuff?
Since that's the case, we have no choice but to raise a survival flag!
...Huh?
In tear-jerking dramas, surgeries that have a low success rate always miraculously work, right? And in anime, whenever you think the main character is gonna lose, somehow they win! So we have to raise a survival flag! Activate, "Super Low Probability Principle!"
U-Um, okay...? What do we do?
What do we do!? The probability that we're going to defeat the children is a mere one percent!
Oh no! There's no way we can win against them! I'm just a normal high school girl and stuff!
...That's pretty much the first thing you told me when we met.
W-Well yeah! I've been trying to raise my survival flag ever since!
...The character who tries too hard dies early, too.

Man, Komaru is *such* a dork, it's amazing. And that's why I love her, amongst other reasons.

So now, let's take the elevator.

♪ BGM: Let's Play With Monokuma

We find ourselves in a strange area with gated passages and Monokuma kids singing. And what's that over there?

Torn off Monokuma heads and... dentures?

This area really likes throwing Beasts at us. They're not particularly fun to deal with, but not a major problem since they don't attack in numbers, but one at a time.

The way this area works is that you're basically being herded in a specific way with the gates, but there's collectibles to be found by going off the direct path. This area also involves a lot of looking at the mape to make sure I'm not missing anything.

One room we can enter holds another collectible!

Something important?
We are...you know, f-friends...right? And friends discuss things like hopes and dreams, right?
Y-Yeah...?
Wh-Why don't you sound sure!? Am I wrong?
Well, there are different forms of friendship, after all...
Anyway, I realize that I don't know your dream. So tell me! What's your embarrassing dream for the future?
Um, well... It's not like outside of this town is peaceful, so it might not really matter what my dream is...
What, are you embarrassed or something?
W-Well a little! Aren't all dreams a little bit embarrassing?
My dream for the future is...greedy. It's embarrassing for me to think that far...
Oh just say it already. I won't laugh.
No... You're definitely gonna laugh.
What?! said I won't, so I won't! So just say it already!
...Promise you won't make fun of me?
Jeez, you're persistent. I promise.
Okay.. I've been thinking about it on and off since middle school... Um... I want to be a manga artist...
Or, I think that like... It might be nice to be one...
I see. That is very "you"...
...Wh-Why'd you get quiet?
Y-You're really not going to make fun of me for that!?
Well, you won't change my opinion that manga is trash, but I told you I won't make fun of you. And besides, the desire to *be* something is admirable. I would never make fun of that.
...Toko...
Wh-What? You're creeping me out...
It's nothing, I'm just glad that you're my friend. If I ever draw manga, I want you to be the first one to read it!
I-I can't imagine the day would come that I actually read a manga...
Huh, do you mean...?
Anyway! Manga or novels, none of that is going to get done unless we get out of this town! So let's hurry up and finish this!
Yeah! As long as we're together, everything will turn out right!

Interactions like this are just adorable. They've come so far since they first met.

Next up, we find another collectible in a dead end in the hallways.

Sock gossip. Also, sock social media, apparently. What the hell.

Another room on this floor we can enter, with some more Monokuma kids.

And another collectible!

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

Now we've maxed out our batteries in addition to our HP.

On to the next floor, which is mostly more of the same...

...except this time we run into a Monoku-Man room!

Hrm, looks like we're going to have another one of those "find the singing kid" puzzles.

Yeah, looks like we have t- hang on a second. Is that who I think it is?

Ah! You two! Please, help me! These perverted bear robots are gonna gang up on me!
...Ignore her.
There's no way I can do that!
Y-You're too trusting! She's that perverted girl who took away your virginity!
What!? No she didn't!
A Monokuma Kid is somewhere in this room, controlling them! Find that kid and friggin' kill 'em!
...You heard her.
I'm not going to kill them!

Basically, the Beast Monokumas move in a square around Kotoko, stopping at every corner to growl at her, which is our opportunity to move from cover to cover.

With that, it doesn't take long to find the kid - though I did gently caress this up once. Also, trust me, the kid is there. Komaru's just blocking it with her big head.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

See, the game believes me!

With the puzzle done, we're once again free to blast the Beasts into bits. And when we're done...

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

...Did I use that proverb right? I almost never say stuff like that, so I'm not sure. But just because you're not used to it doesn't mean you should give up. Like those tentacles...
Hey, why were you getting attacked?
It is highly unfortunate, but it appears I too have been betrayed!
For being so "unfortunate," you sure seem nonchalant about it.
Well, this is an act, too. If I stop acting, it would be bad. I would lose my cool like some miserable wretch... To put this much effort into betraying me... I'm boiling with anger!
You're talking about Monaca, right?

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

She was tricking us with all her talk about succeeding the will of Big Sis Junko. She even took advantage of the hope Big Sis Junko gave us... And she made everyone in the Warriors of Hope fight... No, more than that.

I think that was her doing. Masaru and Jataro probably ended up the same way.

She didn't believe in friendship or effort or victory... The Children's Paradise we dreamed of... It was never gonna happen, from the very beginning...
If that's true, then what is she really after?
I'm not sure... But she said something about The Successor to Junko Enoshima or something...
A successor?
She's twisting this whole situation to make a kingdom for herself, not a paradise for all. And as queen of her little kingdom, she probably wants to be the pampered Successor.
She's seriously the worst! She should just... choke on a bowl of poo and die!
Hey Toko... What do you think?
Well, first off, I still don't think we can trust her...
Saying things like "I was betrayed"... She probably just wants us to let our guard down.

If you still don't trust me... I'll let you in on a little secret. ...The whereabouts of that big fat liar, Monaca.
She should be inside The Excalibur, anchored at the rooftop helicopter port.
The Excalibur?
It's that big airship thingy you so courageously jumped out of. It's on top of Towa Hills.
If you know where she is, why don't you go find her yourself?
Well, I was planning to do just that! But that's when I got jumped by these Monokumas.
The device that controls the Monokumas... Is that in this Excalibur thing, too?
I'm guessing that liar poophead Monaca is holding on to it. She's controlling the Monokumas.
Jeez, her stupid "magic"... Getting all carried away with that controller...
You should snatch it from her. Then, you can give it to me for safekeeping.
S-Safekeeping!? You're just as bad as Monaca!
And more importantly, where's the hostage from Future Foundation? This is *crucial*!
You mean that blond guy who looks like he has really pretty nipples?
...Yeah, th-that's him! No doubt about it, Master *has* to have beautiful nipples!

Toko and Kotoko have some underrated chemistry.

The "Master" you're talking about is In the storage room on the top floor of Towa Hills. Buuut... The key to that room is in that liar poophead bitch Monaca's pocket.

You know, I don't think anybody has ever been described as a "poophead bitch". It's kinda like calling somebody a "meanie motherfucker". The two words just don't go together, despite both being insults.

Then all I gotta do is strip that brat down and snag that key!
Yeah, and after she's stripped down, bury her legs and let starving dogs come eat her!
You don't have to go that far... All we have to do is make her give us the key.
Ufufu, you're so kind, miss. But remember, the device that controls the Monokumas... Just leave it to me, you can trust me with it!

After all... I don't hate adults anymore. They're not Demons to me, not one bit!

She doesn't hate the adults anymore, huh? Don't make me laugh, you aren't *that* good at acting... Maybe we shouldn't have saved someone like her...
Right now, we know where we need to go, so let's get to the roof already!
Before there are more victims... We have to stop the kids and adults from fighting!
...Komaru, your eyes are scary...
...Huh?
I told you before, Master comes first. But if we can save the city while we're at it...
B-But...
Got it?
...Got it.

Alright then, that'll be it for this update. Next time, we'll continue making our way to the top, and see some familiar - and some unfamiliar - locations on the way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Goddamn, I want to like this game, but it keeps going "look at this little girl's panties. Lol."

She can totally be trusted with the controls!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

TheMcD posted:

After all... I don't hate adults anymore. They're not Demons to me, not one bit!

And? Whether or not you hate them is absolutely meaningless. You aren't forgiven. You haven't been redeemed. You are still a complete monster that deserves to rot in jail for the rest of your life at best. Burned at the stake at worst.

Don't do this, game. Do not loving dare try and pull a face turn on these creatures. Their tragic backstories do not absolve them of any possible wrong doings. You can't just pop a "well she was kind of being manipulated, even though she was still reveling in every moment of it" and think that erases all of her deeds.

Outside of that, Komaru shows once more why I like her so much. It's just too bad that she seems to be heading right for a hero trait that bugs the poo poo put of me. Also, Toko's corruption.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 21, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah no, I don't buy that one bit. Now that you're on the losing side everything is okay? gently caress off.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Jeez, stop raising all those death flags! Now we're really in a pinch!

:allears:

FoolyCharged posted:

Goddamn, I want to like this game, but it keeps going "look at this little girl's panties. Lol."

I'm pretty sure after she's saved, she falls over and exposes them again. I believe TheMcD just skipped over that part, though, much like Toko's comment to Komaru after she saves her from the sex machine.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 21, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The letter about the Alien looks like it was written by Haiji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Goddamnit, Kotoko. Why can't you just be dead?