Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Resident evil 1 remake: it's good, but loving longggggggggggg

so much backtracking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tithin posted:

Resident evil 1 remake: it's good, but loving longggggggggggg

so much backtracking

The crimson head idea was cool since it makes the backtracking interesting.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh yeah, those were definitely a good addition. Really caught me off guard.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's only 2.5-4 hours long on replay, depending on the NG+ perks you've unlocked. Game is really fun to replay with those.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

And the randomiser mod adds endless replay potential.

Just disable random Tyrants.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think my problem with the concept of randomisers is that there's a high chance that they'd generate an unbeatable game?

Note: i've not looked into randomisers at all in the last ...12 to 18 months.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SeANMcBAY posted:

"interesting" to the extent i quit. (horrorwise, i'm a wimp)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Tempted to play REmake in advance of this coming out. Got to admit, since my daughter was born, I haven’t played this kind of thing. Maybe one night when she’s asleep I’ll see if I can do a three-hour run through with Jill.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

tithin posted:

I think my problem with the concept of randomisers is that there's a high chance that they'd generate an unbeatable game?

The guy who made the Remake randomizer specifically programmed the seeds to prevent this from happening like key items can always be obtained

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
When the randomizer puts the neptune sharks in the hallways of the mansion, it freaks me the gently caress out to see them swimming around.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Firstborn posted:

When the randomizer puts the neptune sharks in the hallways of the mansion, it freaks me the gently caress out to see them swimming around.

What's worse is when it shits out a bunch of Hunters around the Aqua Ring :allears:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekLxc7S0-C0

Basically they all moved away from each other and Life made getting together to record a pain.

And speaking of the Roosevelt Crew, I got in touch with Rirse to see about uploading all the old Harry Potter LP stuff. I hope that will happen soon but in the meantime, in case you didn't know, he has a lot of their old content on his channel like Mafia, BloodRayne, True Crime, etc.:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RirseDeBlood

It's so weird to look back at some of these videos, ten years old at the most, and to realize how much things have changed. You won't see an LP nowadays that liberally uses the R-Word, F-word or even the N-bomb at times. It was truly a different era, sorta the Wild West of LP'ing.

Wow I haven’t seen most of that stuff in ages! And I mean you will if you watch a PewDiePie video, heyooooo

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

7 year old's verdict on RE5's final boss fight: "It's tricky and it sucks."

I remember having lots of trouble with this section when co-oping with college friends, especially the part where Sheva needs to not fall in lava. It remains obnoxious as hell, which is disappointing because the rest of the fight has potential for fun and is much more forgiving, as I recall. But that instant death nonsense with little feedback about what is happening ruins the co-op for me and my son.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I still don't know exactly what you're supposed to do before the actual "fight" part in RE5. Chris is supposed to shoot Wesker to slow him down for Sheva I think? But every time (until it doesn't happen) I went boulder punching with Chris I would turn around and Wesker would be there squirming his tentacles around and I couldn't do a thing except wait as he slowly walked toward me (or I ran toward him) and get knocked off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know people think he's great but gently caress Weskers voice actor in 5. So fuckin bad

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

codo27 posted:

I know people think he's great but gently caress Weskers voice actor in 5. So fuckin bad

what are you smoking, its his best one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

D.C. Douglas is a hero of justice.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The first Resident Evil I bought was Code Veronica X for the PlayStation 2. I quit once I got to the mansion with all the Bandersnatchers jumping around because they scared the hell out of me.

I watched the hell out of the Wesker's Report DVD I got as a purchase bonus though.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

I still don't know exactly what you're supposed to do before the actual "fight" part in RE5. Chris is supposed to shoot Wesker to slow him down for Sheva I think? But every time (until it doesn't happen) I went boulder punching with Chris I would turn around and Wesker would be there squirming his tentacles around and I couldn't do a thing except wait as he slowly walked toward me (or I ran toward him) and get knocked off.

as Sheva when I was running and waiting for the boulder I would just use landmines to slow him down and that seemed to work well enough

I don't remember Chris being at risk at all during that section though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Frankston posted:

The first Resident Evil I bought was Code Veronica X for the PlayStation 2. I quit once I got to the mansion with all the Bandersnatchers jumping around because they scared the hell out of me.

I watched the hell out of the Wesker's Report DVD I got as a purchase bonus though.

Weskers report was cool

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, replaying RE7 and I had totally forgotten about that close quarters chainsaw fight. I died probably 10 times on my first play through.

Also 10 this time. God drat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just realized today I had the date wrong for RE2make and it's not coming out at midnight tomorrow. :smith:

Oh well, more time to finish Code Veronica. :dance:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

tithin posted:

Most properly made randomizers (like the Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time ones) are programmed with a "logic" that prevents unbeatable seeds from generating. Even if it's some cave off in the corner of the map with one single chest that you've completely forgotten the existence of, there's always a way to progress.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I've been occasionally watching the RE2 randomizer and... well, I'm very disappointed. Whoever is doing it is giving like piddly amounts of ammo (like a box with two pistol bullets) and it's an enemy randomizer. Never really cared for those in LTTP where you can sort of deal with that, but in a game where the enemies can be kind of tanky and some rooms clearly were never meant to have enemies or those specific enemies... yeah.

(Seriously, I watched one recently during the part where you play as Ada in the Sewer Treatment area, and four loving Mr. X units were in that hallway there. Not to mention the upstairs RPD waiting room save room having like eight Enhanced Lickers in it, or the east 1F office hallway having a log-jam of six poisonous Ivy plants chilling at the middle of the hallway in that bigger waiting area)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

*in very chief irons voice* everyone's gonna die!!!!!!

gently caress, I cannot wait to play this

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:blastu: edit: no confirmation yet if hardcore is also remixed like madhouse was.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking personally I’m a hardcore fan of the series that actually likes to beat the games.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

7 year old's verdict on RE5's final boss fight: "It's tricky and it sucks."

I remember having lots of trouble with this section when co-oping with college friends, especially the part where Sheva needs to not fall in lava. It remains obnoxious as hell, which is disappointing because the rest of the fight has potential for fun and is much more forgiving, as I recall. But that instant death nonsense with little feedback about what is happening ruins the co-op for me and my son.

You are a good parent.

Not being sarcastic, RE games are weirdly child appropriate. Kids give no poo poo bout gore. I'd have loved those games at that age.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

A Sometimes Food posted:

Not being sarcastic, RE games are weirdly child appropriate. Kids give no poo poo bout gore. I'd have loved those games at that age.

The thought isn't original to me, but it's interesting to point out that RE in general tends to follow well-meaning investigators and rescue personnel, rather than something like "The Walking Dead" where you're strictly out for your own personal survival. It's surprisingly uncommon in the zombie genre.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Resident Evil is weirdly wholesome and kind to a lot of its protagonists and outcomes and I always appreciated that in a genre that likes to be as doom and gloom as possible, while still being hard loving CORE about its gore and furor

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Good soup! posted:

*in very chief irons voice* everyone's gonna die!!!!!!

gently caress, I cannot wait to play this

Remember the commercial with that line in it? gently caress I can't believe my PC isn't ready for this. I've failed myself

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mountain Lightning posted:

I've been occasionally watching the RE2 randomizer and... well, I'm very disappointed. Whoever is doing it is giving like piddly amounts of ammo (like a box with two pistol bullets) and it's an enemy randomizer. Never really cared for those in LTTP where you can sort of deal with that, but in a game where the enemies can be kind of tanky and some rooms clearly were never meant to have enemies or those specific enemies... yeah.

(Seriously, I watched one recently during the part where you play as Ada in the Sewer Treatment area, and four loving Mr. X units were in that hallway there. Not to mention the upstairs RPD waiting room save room having like eight Enhanced Lickers in it, or the east 1F office hallway having a log-jam of six poisonous Ivy plants chilling at the middle of the hallway in that bigger waiting area)

I think one of the things that makes RE2 less suited to randomizers is just how linear the game is, even RPD is more linear than the mansion, though the lock randomizer does help.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's really telling how straightforward the locks are in RE2 after playing RE1. RE1 has ... 1? key I think that opens like 2 doors before you have to throw it away (I think Yawn's room and one other), but so many RE2 keys are done after you unlock a wing.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Black August posted:

Resident Evil is weirdly wholesome and kind to a lot of its protagonists and outcomes and I always appreciated that in a genre that likes to be as doom and gloom as possible, while still being hard loving CORE about its gore and furor

Hmm. I never really thought about it before but I guess you're right. Horrible things happen in RE games, but only to nameless, faceless people that are only rarely (and barely) humanized. The good guys and the bad guys are fairly clearly defined, the guilty eventually always get punished, and you're never really helpless. Gory as it is, I guess the morality of it all is pretty simplistic.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

codo27 posted:

Remember the commercial with that line in it? gently caress I can't believe my PC isn't ready for this. I've failed myself

I'm running on a GTX970, an i5-4590, and 8 gb of ram and it runs beautifully with everything on high to very high

not a monster rig by any means but :iia: how well this engine runs

Caros
May 14, 2008

Good soup! posted:

I'm running on a GTX970, an i5-4590, and 8 gb of ram and it runs beautifully with everything on high to very high

not a monster rig by any means but :iia: how well this engine runs

Pretty similar rig on my end, with similar results. Only oddity is that zombies out past a certain distance (30ish feet) have a weird stutter to their movement. Can't even really describe it other than. Them appearing fuzzy, like their frame rate has dropped compared to the rest of the game.

Going to see how it runs in the main game, and fiddle around with options. Definitely not game breaking though

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Black August posted:

My favorite kind of horror in any media is when protagonists actually kick rear end.

I have some ideas for a Silent Hill 2 remake.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Backhand posted:

Hmm. I never really thought about it before but I guess you're right. Horrible things happen in RE games, but only to nameless, faceless people that are only rarely (and barely) humanized. The good guys and the bad guys are fairly clearly defined, the guilty eventually always get punished, and you're never really helpless. Gory as it is, I guess the morality of it all is pretty simplistic.

I mean mostly. Steve Burnside is annoying but really doesn't deserve what he gets.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

I mean mostly. Steve Burnside is annoying but really doesn't deserve what he gets.

Well I mean, yeah, there are definitely some exceptions. Steve and Ben and Mikhail and Louis and Marvin and such. Gotta have those stakes and that human drama. It's definitely not gritty, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
RIP Mike, the best helicopter pilot in the series :(