Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Is it a bad sign when someone who was employed all year with a decent salary tells you their savings account total is actually down from last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dunno how many LEGO tm blocks did they acquire

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Murderball posted:

Is it a bad sign when someone who was employed all year with a decent salary tells you their savings account total is actually down from last year?

Maybe, maybe not. What were they saving for? Were they tapping the emergency fund?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Murderball posted:

could've bought equities or some poo poo

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

UAE BWM storytime:
I used to work with a guy who was quite a character. He hired me for my first career job. After I moved on and he’d been working for some other weather companies, we ended up back under the same corporate umbrella thanks to my referral, which was controversial because he had a well-earned reputation for being a drunk. He joined our UAE office.

He made it about a year when I get the news that he’s been instantly terminated (a big deal, we have 3 month notice periods so instant dismissal is rare). He was driving the company car and crashed, and instead of reporting to the police (mandatory) he towed the car back to our office and called a cab to the airport. He informed the boss what happened as he was boarding the plane.

If you gently caress up in the UAE, your recourse is to leave the country immediately and say goodbye to your life there because they will take your passport and put you in prison until you pay (which is never because you lost your job).

Epilogue:
He went back to Scotland for a while and presumably ran out of money because about 6 mo the later he was back in the Middle East trying to get a position at the last company in our industry he hadn’t yet worked for. He caught some kind of infection and died unexpectedly of sepsis. RIP Andy Swan. Middle East is BWM and BWL.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Wasn't there a goon addicted to joose (phenazepam) or some other long-life benzo that was working in UAE and was smuggling powder in so he could manage his habit, or was that another instant death penalty country like Saudi Arabia?

BWL but GWM for getting out of your debts by being beheaded.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you cant take a flight attendants passport, else they cant do the fuckin job

Sure they can. They just can't get off the plane ever again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Wasn't there a goon addicted to joose (phenazepam) or some other long-life benzo that was working in UAE and was smuggling powder in so he could manage his habit, or was that another instant death penalty country like Saudi Arabia?

BWL but GWM for getting out of your debts by being beheaded.

That's ohnonotme, who now posts as ohyesitsme.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you cant take a flight attendants passport, else they cant do the fuckin job

Maybe not? As long as I figure they don't try to actually go through customs anywhere I don't see it actually causing a problem.

Just your indentured servant trapped on a plane and the international terminals till they pay off the debt.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Many flight attendants only fly on domestic routes.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Just because something is selling for $4000 now doesn't mean it can be sold for $4000.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Switchback posted:

UAE BWM storytime:
I used to work with a guy who was quite a character. He hired me for my first career job. After I moved on and he’d been working for some other weather companies, we ended up back under the same corporate umbrella thanks to my referral, which was controversial because he had a well-earned reputation for being a drunk. He joined our UAE office.

He made it about a year when I get the news that he’s been instantly terminated (a big deal, we have 3 month notice periods so instant dismissal is rare). He was driving the company car and crashed, and instead of reporting to the police (mandatory) he towed the car back to our office and called a cab to the airport. He informed the boss what happened as he was boarding the plane.

If you gently caress up in the UAE, your recourse is to leave the country immediately and say goodbye to your life there because they will take your passport and put you in prison until you pay (which is never because you lost your job).

Epilogue:
He went back to Scotland for a while and presumably ran out of money because about 6 mo the later he was back in the Middle East trying to get a position at the last company in our industry he hadn’t yet worked for. He caught some kind of infection and died unexpectedly of sepsis. RIP Andy Swan. Middle East is BWM and BWL.

:stare:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
My dad withdrew his super (retirement fund, i.e. he's at retirement age), paying 15% tax to loan my brother 200k interest for him to buy a house. He thinks my brother can pay off the loan in under 5 years (lol) then he will loan my sister the money to so she can buy a house. Of course I'm next in line.

My brother: GWM.
Everyone else, BWM.

P.S There is no will.

P.P.S His original plan was to buy a set of apartments in TURKEY and somehow retire there. There's a very good chance he would have gotten swindled. At least now I guess the money stays in the family.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BattleMoose posted:

Many flight attendants only fly on domestic routes.

There's like two domestic routes in the uae, from abu dhabi to farjah and somewhere else

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enfys posted:

Just because something is selling for $4000 now doesn't mean it can be sold for $4000.

I've got a friend who is currently trying to liquidate his decades old LEGO Technics collection. Spoiler alert: stick to stocks. He was able to get $5000 for the Millenium Falcon quickly enough, but strangely there isn't quite the same demand for a tractor or logging truck. Fortunately he bought these all at MSRP, so still a good chance to make profit, it just won't be happening very quickly.

GWM was me borrowing every single one of his kits over the years and never spending a cent on LEGO.

(to be fair, he's almost broken even just based on the sale of the Falcon alone. Nearly $4500 profit on that one kit)

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Enfys posted:

Don't you get it? It cost $4000 so it's worth $4000.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mantle posted:

Don't you get it? It cost $4000 so it's worth $4000.

“I’ve invested $3,800 in this truck in the past year. No way I’m selling it for less than I paid into it.”

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

19 o'clock posted:

“I’ve invested $3,800 in this truck in the past year. No way I’m selling it for less than I paid into it.”

This is the sneaker market and I’m continually shocked at how people haven’t run into liquidity issues yet holding onto 6 year old pairs of Kevin Durant sneakers because they gotta get their 40% over MSRP.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

My dad withdrew his super (retirement fund, i.e. he's at retirement age), paying 15% tax to loan my brother 200k interest for him to buy a house. He thinks my brother can pay off the loan in under 5 years (lol) then he will loan my sister the money to so she can buy a house. Of course I'm next in line.

My brother: GWM.
Everyone else, BWM.

P.S There is no will.

P.P.S His original plan was to buy a set of apartments in TURKEY and somehow retire there. There's a very good chance he would have gotten swindled. At least now I guess the money stays in the family.

If he wants to throw money to foreign real estate might as well try Italy

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/...Cfna2LjhOyR5bK8

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm not really into following celebrities but an article turned up with Tori Spelling owing $87k to Amex. They went to court to sue for payment. So I decided to have a look into the latest on her finances. She has gone from $18m net worth to this.

https://popculture.com/celebrity/2018/09/30/tori-spelling-forced-pay-credit-card-debt-ignoring-lawsuit/

quote:

According to The Blast, court documents show Calvary SPV, a company that buys debt, won a default judgement against the former Beverly Hills, 90210 star in early September. The documents show that Spelling owes $5,043.32 after originally being sued by Citibank.

Spelling and her husband, Dean McDermott, have reportedly been in financial straits for years. In 2016, American Express sued Spelling over an unpaid bill with $37, 981.97 in charges. Back in April 2017, it was reported that the IRS "drained" the couple's bank accounts. They reportedly owed $707,487.30 in taxes from 2014 alone. In May 2017, a judge ordered them to pay $220,000 to City National Bank. McDermott has also reportedly had trouble paying child support to his ex-wife Mary Jo Eustace.

The bit about IRS draining their bank account was over a judgement for $338k. Pretty obvious she is spending a lot more than they are earning.

From another article they are renting the place they are living in for $7500 per month.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

This is the sneaker market and I’m continually shocked at how people haven’t run into liquidity issues yet holding onto 6 year old pairs of Kevin Durant sneakers because they gotta get their 40% over MSRP.

I used to work with a shoe collector. He was a short (5’6”-ish) white guy who played basketball in college. He had a “shoe guy” at some store in the mall that would hold the newly released collector shoes for him. He has spent thousands of dollars (that he can’t really afford) on Nikes that he doesn’t wear.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Isn't collecting those shoes like triple BWM because the rubber and adhesives holding them together rot with age?

Years ago I got a pair of shoes from my brother in law that had sat in his mom's closet for something like a decade and a half. I was a broke grad student, needed shoes, and he hadn't worn these in forever so he didn't mind. They literally fell apart on my feet walking around the university two days later. Big chunks of foam coming off, the soles just fell right off, the fabric started coming apart at the seams. They just went to pieces.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Shoes are the Funko Pops of the feet

And yeah they age like a peach. I had a pair of unworn Reebok Iverson Answer IV's in white that I left at my parents house for 15 years. They brought them to me the other day and they're now... yellow?

Everybody should watch that new Marie Kondo show btw. I think this thread in particular would enjoy it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Marie Kondo makes me feel so calm and happy. I also got hell of OCD tho so I could spend 14 hours just folding things into perfect little rectangles and ironing my socks. Bit of a balancing act.

GWM: getting so caught up in menial tasks that you forget to eat (and spend less money on food)

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

There was an episode in the Marie Kondo show where somebody who had bought hundreds and hundreds of pairs of shoes was going through them and some shoes he'd bought new years ago crumbled and fell apart as he took them out of the box, he'd never even gotten the chance to wear them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Jesus that's sad

Making me feel a lot better about curb rashing the poo poo out of my car last night

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I made someone mad:

Leperflesh posted:

My little sister, who I love but who makes bad decisions and then asks me for advice about them afterward, bought a lightly used hybrid SUV for >$18k, on a 78 month loan.

She is disabled (depression +PTSD) and is living on disability in the Seattle area.

She thought I'd approve and be really happy for her because this particular vehicle gets great safety ratings and great mileage! It has the room to transport her large works of art to the sci fi conventions she goes to to sell them for a little extra cash. It's sooo much better than the paid-for, ~20 year old subcompact that she had to pay $600 for a new transmission for because you know, ughhh, these maintenance costs were killlling her.

So yeah eventually I'm convinced she's gonna be trying to sell a 10 year old hybrid SUV which still has 4 years of payments owed, and is gonna be really upset to learn it's literally worthless.

I can't even really talk to her about it because it's so upsetting for her when she realizes how loving stupid a decision it was, and it's crippling her budget every month. Not everyone makes terrible decisions because they're morons, a lot of people just don't understand what the right priorities are, and let a sales person talk them into buying based on payments and features.

Plek posted:

How do you even get a 78 month loan for a used car? What bank was like 'yeah this is legit?' My condolences on the forever debt.

Slugworth posted:

I got one on a couple year old truck, because I have excellent credit but make garbage money. So, long term loan, but low interest rate and monthly payments. It's a bummer being locked in such a long loan, but the truck will outlive the loan, so eh, whatever.

Grakkus posted:

"I just got a job, my credit is bad, I have $4000 and I need something to drive. gently caress buying a 2-3k Honda, clearly the answer is to finance a GIGANTIC TRUCK". It's sort of hard to feel sorry for the guy.

Though that subprime loan bond poo poo should have been made illegal with huge punishments for doing it 10 years ago, how is it still a thing..

Cacafuego posted:

But you needed the truck, right?

Slugworth posted:

I needed a new (used) automobile and a truck best fits my lifestyle, while definitely not being an absolute necessity, yes. Trying to shame someone for having a vehicle that isn't 100% the most practical possible option for them is a super bizarre take in AI. For the record, the loan was 6 months longer than the one I had previously on my focus, and 12 bucks more a month.

I appreciate the concern/superiority, but the reason I have excellent credit is because I don't take on loans I can't afford??

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/chinese-man-who-sold-kidney-to-buy-iphone-ipad-now-bedridden-1978648

Man/child (17 year old) sells kidney for $4,500 AUD several years ago, buys iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with the money, and now his other kidney has failed.

I wouldn't visit the above site without an adblocker, it was bad enough with one.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly that Truck payment structure by Slugworth just made click something I have known and I think the thread knows, but never had in my mind as perfect of an example. Just how much credit and interest has been able to obfuscate the eroding of wealth in this country for most working people.

Makes garbage money like a lot of people... but as long as he has that mythical credit score to ensure he can stretch his dollar he is good! (as long as he never loses a job, gets sick, car breaks etc. because no one can save anything)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I really question whether it is actual deprivation or just relative deprivation that is at work there, honestly. Most people don't drive paid for cars until the wheels fall off, which is what all of our grandparents did and it served them well.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

therobit posted:

I really question whether it is actual deprivation or just relative deprivation that is at work there, honestly. Most people don't drive paid for cars until the wheels fall off, which is what all of our grandparents did and it served them well.

If you're in my age bracket, our grandparents cars only lasted for about three years before eating dirt or developing terminal rust holes.

Fleet age has been steadily rising for decades. The median car on the road is over ten years old now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jack2142 posted:

Honestly that Truck payment structure by Slugworth just made click something I have known and I think the thread knows, but never had in my mind as perfect of an example. Just how much credit and interest has been able to obfuscate the eroding of wealth in this country for most working people.
I mean, I'm perfectly willing to accept that loans shouldn't have to be a way of life for people - My understanding is there was a time when a mortgage was essentially sort of embarrassing for people to have. But that being said, this seems like a fair thread for discussing it.

So, my thinking on my loan is this - My last car purchase in 2007 was a 2006 focus, 6 year loan.

Is this already some sort of terrible mistake if I get a good interest rate and affordable monthly payments? Is it, essentially, bad to have a car loan over a certain amount of months? My thinking is a car is a fairly small loan, and at low interest rates, stretching it out 12-18 months longer than average results in a fairly negligible increase in what I would pay total. At that point, my only concern would be whether the car outlives the loan, which I fully expect my truck to do. If stretching out the loan a bit enables me to get a vehicle I like for the first time in my life, and I'm aware of the pretty modest total increase in price, but put myself in a position where I can quite comfortably make the payments, what's the harm?

And I do intend to drive the truck into the ground like I have every other previous car I've owned.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 21, 2019

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

If your last car loan ended in 2013 why didn't you have enough cash set aside by now to have more than $4000 down? Seems like you shouldn't have needed a 7 year loan on a used truck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

If you're in my age bracket, our grandparents cars only lasted for about three years before eating dirt or developing terminal rust holes.

Fleet age has been steadily rising for decades. The median car on the road is over ten years old now.

Yeah, the idea that old cars were somehow good is a weird Boomer idea that has trickled down to the next generation. Old cars were terrible. People used to poo poo their pants over cars hitting 100k because so many cars didn’t make it that far.

The shittiest 2019 Fiat is more reliable than 99% of new cars made before 1990.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, the idea that old cars were somehow good is a weird Boomer idea that has trickled down to the next generation. Old cars were terrible. People used to poo poo their pants over cars hitting 100k because so many cars didn’t make it that far.

The shittiest 2019 Fiat is more reliable than 99% of new cars made before 1990.

Yea, its crazy how bad old cars were. A friend of my dads used to collect old hot rods, he would fix them up, drive a few of them and sometimes sell one to finance the rest. He had some health issues crop and ended up selling all but one to pay for medical expenses. I remember him talking to my dad about how much effort it was to keep these running, even when brand new.

This video is a great example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

Before they removed the comments, it used to be full of old weirdos saying the Bel Air was sabotaged or damaged in advance, since it was made with AMERICAN STEEL and so on.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I guess I mean that my grandparents drove cars for 10 or 15 years and would repair rather that replace if feasible. We read a lot of stories in this thread about people who "had to" buy a new car, and in most cases, they needed to repair and maintain the car they had, or else go buy another beater for 2 grand.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

There are a lot of people, and some of them switch cars frequently. As has been said though, the median car age is something like 12 years old. Your grandparents are just average americans, not wise old sages.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

I mean, I'm perfectly willing to accept that loans shouldn't have to be a way of life for people - My understanding is there was a time when a mortgage was essentially sort of embarrassing for people to have. But that being said, this seems like a fair thread for discussing it.

So, my thinking on my loan is this - My last car purchase in 2007 was a 2006 focus, 6 year loan.

Is this already some sort of terrible mistake if I get a good interest rate and affordable monthly payments? Is it, essentially, bad to have a car loan over a certain amount of months? My thinking is a car is a fairly small loan, and at low interest rates, stretching it out 12-18 months longer than average results in a fairly negligible increase in what I would pay total. At that point, my only concern would be whether the car outlives the loan, which I fully expect my truck to do. If stretching out the loan a bit enables me to get a vehicle I like for the first time in my life, and I'm aware of the pretty modest total increase in price, but put myself in a position where I can quite comfortably make the payments, what's the harm?

And I do intend to drive the truck into the ground like I have every other previous car I've owned.

What's a "good interest rate?" What's an "affordable monthly payment?" What is a "fairly negligable increase in what I would pay total?"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Start your own thread for boring mycarchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Weatherman posted:

Start your own thread for boring mycarchat
I was literally called out over it and someone *else* posted it here. If it's off topic though, I'll gladly drop it.