Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'd use Amazon more if my delivery options weren't a 50% chance of my package vanishing from the apartment entryway, or driving 20 minutes to the closest locker.

And if Amazon wasn't more and more counterfeit crap to wade through every time you shop there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No thefts is one nice perk of living in a second story apartment.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RandomPauI posted:

No thefts is one nice perk of living in a second story apartment.

One day our package was marked "left in office" which apparently means everyone's amazon packages were dumped in a big pile next to the mailboxes, visible from 75 yards away in every direction and next to the main road.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Slippery posted:

That said, kids....don't go on Ebay drunk.

gently caress 'wear sunscreen' this is better advice I promise you

Was it Google that would make you do math problem if you tried to send an email at 4am?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Another dumb thing that's making me reconsider renewing Prime is Amazon's Small and Light Fulfilled by Amazon program which a growing number of sellers are taking advantage of. Personally, I think it's kind of abusive of the Prime logo in searches, and why so many of my orders are now taking 4 to 6 business days to arrive.

Per Amazon: "Products in the Small and Light program are eligible for Prime. Prime customers automatically qualify for free standard shipping (4 to 5 business days). Non-Prime customers continue to get free shipping (6 to 8 business days) without a minimum order requirement."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Oh, if you have prime you ought to be watching Mrs. Maisel.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I personally want to have my cake and eat it too; I’d buy everything online if I could but I also want there to be physical stores

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

To be fair, the problem with Amazon delivery is 100% caused by shipping companies. UPS and FedEx were designed around the concept of inter-business shipping, with business-to-home being something of an afterthought - deliveries to homes need to happen 5pm - 10pm, when people are there, not 9am - 5pm like happens now. And Amazon has caused a huge spike in the number of deliveries, but both companies are still intent on running with '90s levels of staffing, leading to burnout and lovely service.

Really, you should deliver by USPS as much as possible. They'll hold packages for you, will only deliver to mailboxes, and it's a federal crime to gently caress with those. Although if the post office gets overwhelmed and needs more staffing, it literally does take an act of Congress to make that happen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The only thing I order from amazon that aren't books or CDs/Blu-Rays are electric razor foils because gently caress trying to find those at a store.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Beachcomber posted:

Oh, if you have prime you ought to be watching Patriot.

Fixed that for you

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Fixed that for you

But not until you finish all your Mozart in the Jungle!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In terms of delivery to apartment complexes, there really really needs to be a main office with nothing but lockers for each apartment, so boxes can be tossed in and locked, rather than left outside.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does J. Random Amazon-Deliverer get the package in there?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

In terms of delivery to apartment complexes, there really really needs to be a main office with nothing but lockers for each apartment, so boxes can be tossed in and locked, rather than left outside.

:agreed:

Some neighborhoods near me (like where my folks live) have the big stacked mailboxes versus each house having one, plus they have 2-3 larger locked boxes at the bottom for bigger packages, each with their own key. Would be great to have a stack of lockers like that at apartments near the regular mailboxes. Basically they drop a package in the larger box, grab the key from inside it & put it in your regular mailbox so only you can unlock it.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jan 21, 2019

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Would be great to have a stack of lockers like that at apartments near the regular mailboxes. Basically they drop a package in the larger box, grab the key from inside it & put it in your regular mailbox so only you can unlock it.

That's a really good idea and I'm surprised I haven't seen it in the wild.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Seriously, and it'd probably easier to get landlords to do that than adding an extra room for delivery lockers.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:agreed:

Some neighborhoods near me (like where my folks live) have the big stacked mailboxes versus each house having one, plus they have 2-3 larger locked boxes at the bottom for bigger packages, each with their own key. Would be great to have a stack of lockers like that at apartments near the regular mailboxes. Basically they drop a package in the larger box, grab the key from inside it & put it in your regular mailbox so only you can unlock it.

You're describing a po box with parcel lockers. It exists at hundreds of post offices across america.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pick posted:

Shopping online is a chore, shopping in a store is a good way to get out, and it's fun, and you can see the stuff, and sometimes your friends are there.

Unless the store you want to shop at is a 3-hour drive from home and it's the only place where you can find most of the poo poo you want and need. At that point, online shopping becomes a godsend.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cowslips Warren posted:

My apartment has that. It's pretty swell. It's basically an "Amazon Locker" that any delivery company can shove your poo poo in. You get a text and email when something is delivered.

Subjunctive posted:

How does J. Random Amazon-Deliverer get the package in there?

They type in a code.

https://www.parcelpending.com

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're describing a po box with parcel lockers. It exists at hundreds of post offices across america.

You know what's even better than a PO box with parcel lockers at the post office? Having your mail delivered to your block.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

My apartment has that. It's pretty swell. It's basically an "Amazon Locker" that any delivery company can shove your poo poo in. You get a text and email when something is delivered.

They type in a code.

https://www.parcelpending.com

You know what's even better than a PO box with parcel lockers at the post office? Having your mail delivered to your block.

These things are the purest indication of places where no one should ever live--lovely developments build alongside highways with zero infrastructure, no sidewalks and no community

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Slanderer posted:

These things are the purest indication of places where no one should ever live--lovely developments build alongside highways with zero infrastructure, no sidewalks and no community

What? They’re in every apartment complex.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Zesty posted:

What? They’re in every apartment complex.

Yeah, exactly.

What?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
My apartment complex has those, sidewalks, and tons of connected families whose children play together so I respectfully disagree with part of your assertion

I am direclty adjacent to a major highway so that's fair

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Much better than the areas I see with a single mailbox on an ancient post where there's no lock, the maildude just opens and tosses in, so anyone can come by and get your mail.

Did something happen in Kroger recently, as in the last year or so? At my local one they stopped carrying a bunch of stuff and management all switched over and lots of regular cashiers disappeared.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Slanderer posted:

You’re correct about the outdoor ones, like the one clearly in this picture. It’s just screaming “Waukesha, Wisconsin” to me (Former speaker Ryan’s blood-red home district outside Milwaukee)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

there wolf posted:

Was it Google that would make you do math problem if you tried to send an email at 4am?

Oh man I remember that but can't remember if it was a joke or google or a dating website or what

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You’re correct about the outdoor ones, like the one clearly in this picture. It’s just screaming “Waukesha, Wisconsin” to me (Former speaker Ryan’s blood-red home district outside Milwaukee)

I lived in a nice community with sidewalks and parks and all sorts of poo poo like that and we had those. It is a mystery I guess.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Slippery posted:

I lived in a nice community with sidewalks and parks and all sorts of poo poo like that and we had those. It is a mystery I guess.

"Cluster mailboxes" have been a USPS requirement for new housing developments since 2012 or so. That's why some neighborhoods have them and others don't.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did something happen in Kroger recently, as in the last year or so? At my local one they stopped carrying a bunch of stuff and management all switched over and lots of regular cashiers disappeared.
Doesn't Kroger manage a bunch of other supermarkets? Maybe they're cutting back??

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

lavaca posted:

"Cluster mailboxes" have been a USPS requirement for new housing developments since 2012 or so. That's why some neighborhoods have them and others don't.

Yeah that makes sense, I just meant that the mailboxes aren't necessarily indicative of a lovely bleak hellscape, is all.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh dear I made Pick mad, what will I do?

Give her an expired Rockstar and hide under a truck.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Did someone say Blockbusters already? I'm pretty sure that company is pretty much done for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Doesn't Whole Foods have this thing now where you can have your Amazon packages sent there instead of being dropped off on your front doorstep? I know Newegg can send your poo poo to a FedEx store or Walgreens for pickup if you're skittish about home delivery.

They do, it's pretty much the exact same thing, the only reason I use the convenience store lockers is they are 24/7 and the parking is more convenient. I didn't know about the newegg thing, that is useful. UPS is doing deliveries to their store locations too but a lot of merchants still don't support it.

Some people were talking about P.O. boxes earlier but my local post office just has small mailboxes; they will keep larger packages sent to it, it involves waiting in line during work hours to pick stuff up which is not great.

Honestly though I don't even know what a medium quality store is anymore. Like obviously anything you buy at Walmart was made at bottom dollar but not everything bottom dollar is that bad these days.

Rick has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Jan 21, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think the Walgreens pickup is a FedEx partnership. I received an RMAd laptop from them since I didn't want rectangular marked computer package sitting on my porch for 3 hours.

Amazon also does returns through a drop-off table in some Kohls locations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

To be fair, the problem with Amazon delivery is 100% caused by shipping companies. UPS and FedEx were designed around the concept of inter-business shipping, with business-to-home being something of an afterthought - deliveries to homes need to happen 5pm - 10pm, when people are there, not 9am - 5pm like happens now. And Amazon has caused a huge spike in the number of deliveries, but both companies are still intent on running with '90s levels of staffing, leading to burnout and lovely service.

Really, you should deliver by USPS as much as possible. They'll hold packages for you, will only deliver to mailboxes, and it's a federal crime to gently caress with those. Although if the post office gets overwhelmed and needs more staffing, it literally does take an act of Congress to make that happen.

Good news, Amazon does the majority of their shipping through USPS, an entity whose infrastructure is infinitely shittier than that of FedEx and UPS. UPS and FedEx will also hold packages for you, this isn’t some new frontier in the shipping industry.

Even better news, Amazon now has their own contractor business model as well as using smaller, regional third party vendors who have little to no actual infrastructure of their own to build on. Amazon’s contractor model is incredibly predatory and the quality of driver the contractors are forced to hire because of Amazon’s pressure means that the customer service you’re getting from FedEx or UPS looks like white glove treatment in comparison.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Vietnamwees posted:

Did someone say Blockbusters already? I'm pretty sure that company is pretty much done for.

You're one of those people that pluralize all store names aren't you :haw:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Slippery posted:

That said, kids....don't go on Ebay drunk.

Ambien usage doesn't lead to racist rants on Twitter, it leads to mysterious purchases from anywhere you have a saved credit card. I apparently bought a hand mixer and a rubber crafting stamp from eBay last week.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

queserasera posted:

Ambien usage doesn't lead to racist rants on Twitter, it leads to mysterious purchases from anywhere you have a saved credit card. I apparently bought a hand mixer and a rubber crafting stamp from eBay last week.

They changed my Xanax prescription last week, and now I have two GURPS 4e hardbacks on the way that I have no memory of buying.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Vietnamwees posted:

Real talk: Netflix's days are numbered. Not like, immediately, and never underestimate the power of auto billing, but dropping all this money on original content people don't care about and the rights to Friends will not end well. Plus Disney and everyone else keeping streaming rights for themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Good news, Amazon does the majority of their shipping through USPS, an entity whose infrastructure is infinitely shittier than that of FedEx and UPS. UPS and FedEx will also hold packages for you, this isn’t some new frontier in the shipping industry.

Ok, so you hate the post office, we get it.

But they've been doing this kind of shipping for 200 years, there are post offices everywhere not just where UPS/FedEx thinks is profitable, and they're a valuable public institution deserving of your support.