Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

a swedish is just a danish though

as is a norwedge and an iceman and a greenman

Danes are swedes with rocks inside (they mouths)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

Danes are swedes with rocks inside (they mouths)

So what's a swede with clams inside (they moufs)?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

florida lan posted:

doesnt this just describe regular coders

Probably, although in finance land a lot of websites are blocked limiting that capability. However, HookedOnAFeeling.cpp is a thing for at least a week whilst I disappear from contact. Data QA can enjoy the song playing back throughout the day.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

eschaton posted:

ah, as I understand the traditional greeting goes in your land, “perkele, tovarisch!”

or more formally "perkele salmiakki sauna kossu"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i wish canada had a sauna culture like finland it's so awesome

i'd kill for a sauna this week

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

saippuakivikauppias

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the language of morons

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wish canada had a sauna culture like finland it's so awesome

i'd kill for a sauna this week

saunas are supposed to be really good for you, too

I might be tempted to work a few extra hours if the boss has a sauna put in at the office

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

“look in video game development we don’t have time for unit tests. if it looks like it works then it works”, my manager said as he hit “run” in visual studio 2010 and then refused to make eye contact with me as it immediately crashed from a pure virtual function exception.

I had a lead ask me a few months ago what the point of a unit test was because it didn’t seem to test much. He proceeded to harp about how he wanted tests while rejecting any changes that would lead to testable structures. This lasted for about a month, in which time he wrote no tests. He often talks about how useful singletons are and extols the virtue of empty non-qualified catch statements. This is the type of brokebrained person that you get to deal with in games because they’re too connected to get the axe and too incompetent to get hired on with a reasonable dev team.

I’m in process of convincing my manager and the rest of the team to move perf critical portions of the code to ECS to trick my coworkers into writing testable code.

my manager and other teams managers are aware of my plot and in on it. a lead on a different team was against the shift in patterns until I explained that teaching ECS allowed an opportunity to teach people who thought they knew (but don’t know) reasonable practices what they should already be doing. they immediately understood and asked if I needed help getting the ball rolling.

games are terrible. still better than government work though.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Ctpa: manually editing a few dozen cosmos entries to change some fields to lowercase because somebody thought that our system make sense and was case insensitive. It does not and is not.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Finster Dexter posted:

saunas are supposed to be really good for you, too

I might be tempted to work a few extra hours if the boss has a sauna put in at the office

would one of those mil-spec ruggeredized laptops be able to work in a sauna?

assuming you didn't do anything stressful like launching atom, ofc

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gonadic io posted:

Ctpa: manually editing a few dozen cosmos entries to change some fields to lowercase because somebody thought that our system make sense and was case insensitive. It does not and is not.

cosmos db is just hilariously overprized json store yes?

if so, why?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Boiled Water posted:

cosmos db is just hilariously overprized json store yes?

if so, why?

Yep.

Why cosmos? We were integrating with azure iot hub and it was the least friction and hosted etc
Why json store? No idea and not a day goes by where I don't curse the original author. Our data is so hosed and conforms to no schema. Additionally because its not relational if we update one subdocument we have to go find all the places it's been copied to and make sure to change all its copies too. If only there was a way to specify this kind of relationship.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Cosmos db? More like cosmically poo poo amirite

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
But it's web scale

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Yep.

Why cosmos? We were integrating with azure iot hub and it was the least friction and hosted etc
Why json store? No idea and not a day goes by where I don't curse the original author. Our data is so hosed and conforms to no schema. Additionally because its not relational if we update one subdocument we have to go find all the places it's been copied to and make sure to change all its copies too. If only there was a way to specify this kind of relationship.

holy gently caress

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AggressivelyStupid posted:

holy gently caress

don't worry it's okay you see because we're replacing this solution

with kafka

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

stop

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

that is truly Kafkaesque

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gonadic io posted:

Yep.

:ohno:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Cosmos db? More like cosmically poo poo amirite

wikipedia posted:

Many developers have asked that Microsoft support real pagination through a Skip/Take mechanism. Skip/Take was first requested in late August 2014. To date, Microsoft keeps saying they're working on it.[18]

lol

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Cosmosdb is probably bad on purpose (and by design because NoSql) so they can sell you MS SQL.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Phenomenal Cosmic Power!

iity bitty user base

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
*going to incredible lengths to avoid tech and research that’s been battle-tested for over 30 years because it isn’t cool enough*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
*sees java on job posting*

*swipes left*

*dabs away*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

Yep.

this sounds exactly like the job i quit recently except we took it a step further and denormalized our subdocuments across different microservices (with their own dbs of course). you guys use scala too right? i think we've talked about this actually.

a user rapidly adding and removing an element from a list could easily cause situations where writes and deletes happen out of order owned

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the original design was supposed to be 'event sourcing' with a message queue but any concept of what that is or how it operates was abandoned to just use the queue as a lovely distributed database.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the original design was supposed to be 'event sourcing' with a message queue but any concept of what that is or how it operates was abandoned to just use the queue as a lovely distributed database.

gonadic io posted:

don't worry it's okay you see because we're replacing this solution

with kafka

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is almost certainly where my company is going. we're in the planning stages to gently caress up like this

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Java's source build system is so bad I would rather take PHP's garbage mess.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
ctps kotlin is quite nice but gradle files and the android documentation isn't

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Soiled Meat
don't use android

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

lol run

this was the biggest failure of my programming career. i tried hard to fix it. u can’t.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

lol run

this was the biggest failure of my programming career. i tried hard to fix it. u can’t.

This is the same place that is abandoning scala for go so yeah I'm on my way out, or trying to anyway. I'd already be gone if I wanted another scala job but I'm trying to find something in Haskell or rust or something and that's taking a while

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

This is the same place that is abandoning scala for go so yeah I'm on my way out, or trying to anyway. I'd already be gone if I wanted another scala job but I'm trying to find something in Haskell or rust or something and that's taking a while

ugh right i always get you and VikingOfRock confused.

godspeed.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm working on my parents website. it has no features that couldn't be done with a static page but i'm still using react because it's easier.

i am the problem.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i cant fathom what use case would be solved by static pages where using a static site generator is harder than setting up a SPA

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

brap posted:

i cant fathom what use case would be solved by static pages where using a static site generator is harder than setting up a SPA

mostly i've never used one and am not sure that learning one will be faster. maybe it would be.

e: i took some time to look at hugo and this is insanely easier just gonna switch. thanks for headups

e2: lol i found a template that can be easily modified to more or less match what i was building for my parents. i've already caught up to my several days of custom react development in 1 hour.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 22, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mostly i've never used one and am not sure that learning one will be faster. maybe it would be.

e: i took some time to look at hugo and this is insanely easier just gonna switch. thanks for headups

e2: lol i found a template that can be easily modified to more or less match what i was building for my parents. i've already caught up to my several days of custom react development in 1 hour.

webdev in a nutshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the other week i tried and failed to convince a coworker that maybe the 100% static "login denied because your subscription has expired" page didn't need to be built in vue, nor would it really benefit from it. granted, it'd still be a django template, but w/e. since the rest of the application is moving towards vue though the argument was that we don't want to maintain two different build and deploy pipelines for static assets. still not really convinced but fine, not worth fighting over