Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanaticism
Jan 7, 2019

Thanatosian posted:

On a resume:
*If it isn't requested in a particular format, send a .pdf; if it is requested in a particular format that isn't .pdf, you may want to send a .pdf in addition to that format, just because Word/RTF files can gently caress up formatting on different versions of their software

Consider never distributing your cv as a Word file. I've seen slave dealersconsultants' managers sprinkle some "extras" in said consultants' cv to make them more attractive to potential slave buyersemployers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Most recruiters will never go for that, but either way it's good form to always bring copies of the original to interviews so you can clear up any misconceptions the recruiter introduces.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

A job offer came in

35%+ pay rise, more holidays, more pension, commute cut... More enjoyable work.

I can't get my notice in quick enough, it feels like I've won the lottery right now.

I'm sorry to just but in and announce this but but I'm a long time lurker and I just needed to :yotj:

Edit: 9% bonus too :fh:

Biggz fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Biggz posted:

A job offer came in

35%+ pay rise, more holidays, more pension, commute cut... More enjoyable work :toot: ...

I can't get my notice in quick enough, it feels like I've won the lottery right now.

I'm sorry to just but in and announce this but but I'm a long time lurker and I just needed to :toot:

That's awesome! Grats!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone have tips for conveying the value of your work specifically when it comes to products or services that don't generate revenue, cost centers or "sexy"? I'm working on project where if it fails it could be potentially catastrophic and no one would be able to use computers. Or if we don't finish the user experience will be poor and the help desk will indefinitely have to work dozens of extra tickets a week.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 19, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Biggz posted:

A job offer came in

I'm sorry to just but in and announce this but but I'm a long time lurker and I just needed to :yotj:

Congrats!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone have tips for conveying the value of your work specifically when it comes to products or services that don't generate revenue, cost centers or "sexy"? I'm working on project where if it fails it could be potentially catastrophic and no one would be able to use computers. Or if we don't finish the user experience will be poor and the help desk will indefinitely have to work dozens of extra tickets a week.

The value of your work is the cost of not being able to do business.
Delaying or impeding your work is increasing the risk of ending in a situation where the company is unable to do business.

Time spent on UX development should be considered by the return on investment in man-hours not spent by using waiting on support, or spent on inefficient workflows, which can obviously be hard to quantify. One way to do it would be in multiplying decrease in workflow time by number of times a user will perform that workflow per week, multiplied by number of users of the feature. That way you can make a 16 hour investment in improving one workflow by 10 seconds grow to 20 man-hours increased productivity per week the product is in use.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oof, one day, five job applications and one resume sent to a local goon to possibly apply where he works. Someone either hire me or kill me, this is exhausting.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Biggz posted:

A job offer came in

Congratulations!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oof, one day, five job applications and one resume sent to a local goon to possibly apply where he works. Someone either hire me or kill me, this is exhausting.

Remember that it’ll all be worth it in the end. It might be a lot of work, effort and possibly outside of your comfort zone but there’s nothing more satisfying than putting in your notice at a lovely job with an awesome new one lined up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just hope I get an awesome one :(

At this point I have to accept drat near anything.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

You need a business impact analysis.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel you. It has been a few years since I job hunted and I forgot just how much work and how demoralizing it can be sometimes. Just stick with it it’ll all be worth it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have good resources for learning LDAP stuff for people who haven't done any automation for it?

I got a project where the IT manager wants me to make a script that automagically generates folders based on our LDAP users. So the end product is, I run a script, it looks at our LDAP user database and a folder I've created, edit: and populates that folder with a folder that has the name of a user if the folder doesn't already have it.

So the structure would read something like C:/ldapfolder/(ldapaccountname)

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 20, 2019

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone have good resources for learning LDAP stuff for people who haven't done any automation for it?

I got a project where the IT manager wants me to make a script that automagically generates folders based on our LDAP users. So the end product is, I run a script, it looks at our LDAP user database and a folder I've created, edit: and populates that folder with a folder that has the name of a user if the folder doesn't already have it.

So the structure would read something like C:/ldapfolder/(ldapaccountname)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/816313/how-to-assign-a-home-folder-to-a-user

This is probably what you're looking for. In fact you should be able to assign home folders in the user attributes in AD.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tab8715 posted:

Is this on a resume? Just do a rough guess and err on the side of arrogance. Otherwise hire a business analyst this poo poo is what they do

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I just did an application where they specifically said not to use HR speak and that four-letter-words were acceptable to describe a situation you faced at work if necessary. Hopefully I didn't scare them off with the story of the vendor whose Dynamics implementation could randomly take three hours to install :v:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Awful CompSloth posted:

Thanks, yeah I'm writing on my new resume about how I have some experience installing hardware in a desktop, configuring partitions, installing windows and Linux because I used to play around with different distros when I was 12 and 13 and I just took a UNIX class in college as well. Troubleshooting, configuring BIOS, removing viruses. All this poo poo is just from messing around on my PC since I was a kid, but I guess its better than nothing. Said I had experience with customer service from my retail jobs, a little bit on the phone too. And most importantly I said I'm very eager to learn more about these things and that I'm studying for the A+.
Would it be worth listing the tech classes I've taken in college or should I leave that for the job application? (Since it's the same school I figured I could def write it there)

try and get some ITIL experience /exposure etc - even if you download an audio book and say studying for my ITIL foundation certificate or something like that...

It might sound weird that the advice isn't "learn how to fix even more poo poo" but...

one of my helpdesk guys at the moment is really good at fixing poo poo and can probably do all the stuff you can do up there - he probably knows loads of stuff I don't - particularly with clients, he's really good.

however - he cherry picks jobs that he is confident with or what he wants to do - but he tries to hide from stuff that he is not familiar with (i.e. servers) if you get a grasp of ITIL and express that you understand why you have to work in certain ways, especially if you can talk about why customer service is important your future boss (the dude interviewing you) will probably love you

you are obviously interested enough in technology and stuff so that side of things wont be an issue at helpdesk level I would guess.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GreenNight posted:

I mentioned food poisoning earlier today. It was not that, we've come to find out it's norovirus. It's coming out of both ends for 70% of our manufacturing staff and takes 3-4 days to get better.
Hoo boy good luck with that, that's a jackpot of lovely sicknesses to get.
I remember catching it off my niece and holy gently caress was it awful, explosive shits and vomit every 30 minutes on the dot to the point of downing rehydration salts to not die.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news! A few people in the main office (where I am) have gotten it now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

Good news! A few people in the main office (where I am) have gotten it now.

Hang a "out of order" sign on a toilet cubicle near where you sit. It'll give you a clear bee-line when you need it most.

Also hope you do okay/don't catch it :ohdear:.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I appreciate the concern. Luckily the IT room where I sit is at the back end of the building and barely anyone comes back here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Thread title is very relevant again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GreenNight posted:

I appreciate the concern. Luckily the IT room where I sit is at the back end of the building and barely anyone comes back here.

I don't suppose they'll let you work from home.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
lol yeah gently caress that I’d be working remote until it ravages the entire office and it’s safe to come back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

guppy posted:

I don't suppose they'll let you work from home.

I physically distribute workstations as part of my job.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's kinda of irresponsible of them to keep the office open if a norovirus is about. They really need to close it down for a few days, have janitorial staff bleach the bathrooms, counters, and door handles, and forbid anyone with symptoms from coming in until it passes.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

bull3964 posted:

It's kinda of irresponsible of them to keep the office open if a norovirus is about. They really need to close it down for a few days, have janitorial staff bleach the bathrooms, counters, and door handles, and forbid anyone with symptoms from coming in until it passes.

lol at the idea of any company actually doing this

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I feel real stupid today. I WFH and worked 4 hours today before I realized no one else was online and we had the day off. My wife works at a bank and the kids were out of school, but there’s several holidays they’re off I still have to work. I didn’t even think about it.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

skipdogg posted:

I feel real stupid today. I WFH and worked 4 hours today before I realized no one else was online and we had the day off. My wife works at a bank and the kids were out of school, but there’s several holidays they’re off I still have to work. I didn’t even think about it.

I got to the office and was wondering why the lights were off, by the time I got to my desk it was pretty clear something was up since no one was around.

I ended up sticking around for a few hours since I'd already gone all that way. There ended up being one other person, but they were there intentionally.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PBS posted:

I got to the office and was wondering why the lights were off, by the time I got to my desk it was pretty clear something was up since no one was around.

I ended up sticking around for a few hours since I'd already gone all that way. There ended up being one other person, but they were there intentionally.

I did that all the time when I worked downtown Chicago. *Usually* I was clued in by the sparsity of commuters on the train, look up the calendar, and head home without boarding. However, since this was a bank we had more than the usual number of holidays. So about once or twice a year I actually made it into the office (I was typically the first in at around 6:45am), I'd sit and work for a couple hours until I popped my head up and noticed not a single soul around. Check the corporate calendar, call myself a dumbass, and take the next train out.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Proteus Jones posted:

I did that all the time when I worked downtown Chicago. *Usually* I was clued in by the sparsity of commuters on the train, look up the calendar, and head home without boarding. However, since this was a bank we had more than the usual number of holidays. So about once or twice a year I actually made it into the office (I was typically the first in at around 6:45am), I'd sit and work for a couple hours until I popped my head up and noticed not a single soul around. Check the corporate calendar, call myself a dumbass, and take the next train out.

Yeah, I uber in. Didn't really have any reason to suspect something was up, I had other passengers with me going to the loop as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess it happens, but don't y'all have calendars?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sometimes I wake up on a sunday and get ready for work thinking my weekend is over.

The resulting sleep I get when going back to bed is probably the deepest sleep i've ever had, not counting the hospital sleep I had.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
An IT Project Manager vacancy appeared!

(... that I want) no idea if I will get it, but i think I'm in with a reasonable chance

Potential to relocate back to where my missus is from so that's good and probably WFH in the interim

It says 'competitive salary' which i am pretty sure is more than what i earn now - particularly with 10% bonus but I'd much rather know a number :(

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

Sometimes I wake up on a sunday and get ready for work thinking my weekend is over.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one who has done this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I’ve done that before. It’s amazing when you realise.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I’ve done that before. It’s amazing when you realise.

This happened to me this morning. I thought it was Tuesday, but it's really Saturday.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PBS posted:

One of my coworkers moved to the US from overseas ~4 years ago, and he still does this for like every single holiday. It was understandable at first, but the obligatory "hey is the office closed today? why did no one tell me about this?" Slack messages are just hilarious at this point. At least he has an extremely short walking commute.

dogstile posted:

The resulting sleep I get when going back to bed is probably the deepest sleep i've ever had, not counting the hospital sleep I had.

I have kids. I am getting up at 6:30 (if I'm lucky) every day of my life whether there's work or not :rip:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Docjowles posted:

I have kids. I am getting up at 6:30 (if I'm lucky) every day of my life whether there's work or not :rip:

I've still got 3 more years before I start thinking about having mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Docjowles posted:

:same: