Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

GutBomb posted:

...And? It was made clear the whole time that the video was sponsored and while it didn’t tread any new ground it’s always nice to point out that VR doesn’t actually take a computer that costs a ton. The affordable part was the machine not the headset.

The video is called "Can you Game in VR on a Budget?" so someone looking to game in VR on a budget would benefit from knowing about this option, which I'm quite certain would've been mentioned if it weren't for the sponsorship. The sponsorship itself is clearly disclosed thankfully but that wouldn't help someone who's not already closely following this stuff. What I'm saying is it's about ethics in tech "journalism" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
LGR's terrible food videos seem like amazing GWS troll material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPmHwkdIpU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
YESSSSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TadWhAGTAbE

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know why the food videos exist. They're better than people putting like a pound of bacon and sauce on a sandwich (or find me one of those, I don't seek out his food videos so I don't know what's out there), but they've also never inspired me to make something like food should. They're solidly in the middle of not being gross but also being generic.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Theophany posted:

What the gently caress is this video? The bread is not from the 1980's and it can't play 8-bit audio.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

What the gently caress is this video? The bread is not from the 1980's and it can't play 8-bit audio.

At least we have some wood panel (ish) texture...

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Recently Linus uploaded a video where he built a computer with a custom water cooling loop using copper pipes. He said something along the lines of "we've done everything except copper" and a lot of the comments were along the lines of "what about the whole-room water cooling"? This intrigued me, "an idea so bad that even Linus wants to forget he ever had it?" so I looked up the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc

Don't miss the bit at 30 seconds into the video where Linus is standing on a 2nd floor windowsill next to an open window while using a rolling office chair as a brace to hold his balance.

There's 7 videos total available in a convenient playlist. Spoilers: nothing goes right, and the whole thing turns out to be pointless since they end up moving out of that building within a few months of doing all this work.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Mr.Radar posted:

Recently Linus uploaded a video where he built a computer with a custom water cooling loop using copper pipes. He said something along the lines of "we've done everything except copper" and a lot of the comments were along the lines of "what about the whole-room water cooling"? This intrigued me, "an idea so bad that even Linus wants to forget he ever had it?" so I looked up the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc

Don't miss the bit at 30 seconds into the video where Linus is standing on a 2nd floor windowsill next to an open window while using a rolling office chair as a brace to hold his balance.

There's 7 videos total available in a convenient playlist. Spoilers: nothing goes right, and the whole thing turns out to be pointless since they end up moving out of that building within a few months of doing all this work.

I've never water cooled a PC, but even I had to shake my head when Linus filled his reservoir with water straight from the yard hose, added just plain old automotive antifreeze with no biocidal additives, then was shocked when he practically had a brand new form of life growing in his water cooling loop. :laugh:

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
My favorite reaction to Linus of all time is in one of his recent videos mega build videos with his poo poo tonne of free nvidia titans, he's doing his regular awkward whining why something doesn't work when some dude off screen says "why do you make everything so hard!?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

snickothemule posted:

My favorite reaction to Linus of all time is in one of his recent videos mega build videos with his poo poo tonne of free nvidia titans, he's doing his regular awkward whining why something doesn't work when some dude off screen says "why do you make everything so hard!?"

For the heck of it I re-watched the "whole room water cooling project" thing recently, and in literally the first few minutes of the first video Luke was already dunking on the whole idea, saying he doubted it was going to be even remotely effective and that they should just have gotten a window AC unit. :laugh:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I was recently surprised to see Barnacules actually has been releasing videos, like once a month or so but he is releasing videos. The biggest reason I stopped watching Barnacules was the number of items he gets donated to him as well as the over usage of dumb jokes *ladies*. I cant really hate on someone for getting free poo poo like a robotic arm or a Peugot Sound computer worth $10K, I just don't want to support someone who gets free poo poo and then does not use it. I felt like Barnacules was either spending too much money, or being given too much free stuff, and not using the expensive tech enough in his videos. I'm not sure if I consider Barnacules better or worse than Linus, they both make immature jokes and waste a lot of money, only Linus is successful at whoring himself and Barnacules is not. I do think that lately Linus' tech videos are more informative than Barnacules, but that's not saying much. Linus and Barnacules both make me interested in the tech they are talking about without being as dry and professional as more educational, strictly technical videos.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Crotch Fruit posted:

Linus and Barnacules both make me interested in the tech they are talking about without being as dry and professional as more educational, strictly technical videos.

Speaking of dry, educational videos, lately I've been watching a lot of the Explaining Computers channel on YouTube, which is hosted by Christopher Barnatt, a British university lecturer. The vids usually focus on single board computers like the Raspberry Pi and its ilk, and are about as dry as toast. But drat if they don't give me serious nostalgia flashbacks to when I was a kid and there'd be a short educational thing on PBS that was imported from the UK.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Speaking of dry, educational videos, lately I've been watching a lot of the Explaining Computers channel on YouTube, which is hosted by Christopher Barnatt, a British university lecturer. The vids usually focus on single board computers like the Raspberry Pi and its ilk, and are about as dry as toast. But drat if they don't give me serious nostalgia flashbacks to when I was a kid and there'd be a short educational thing on PBS that was imported from the UK.

Despite his style a number of his videos are pretty interesting. I have to admit I watch a number of youtubers that have a terrible style that would never be fit for traditional broadcast.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Devian666 posted:

Despite his style a number of his videos are pretty interesting. I have to admit I watch a number of youtubers that have a terrible style that would never be fit for traditional broadcast.

i mean that's the whole point of the medium is it not? i don't think most people watch youtubers for something as professional and rehearsed as broadcast tv; you're there for the ~authenticity~. i think brits do it well. or at least the british tv i grew up on was always kind of scrappy and low-fi compared to the american stuff so it warms the cockles of my heart etc

cameron gray is cool to put on in the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3amJsfcog

techmoan is cool idk if he's been mentioned here already. i wish he was my dad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E65KfMwTqY

computerphile is cool also. a lot of university people explaining computing concepts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-RbOKanYs

e: i like this guy who found all these workstations from the acclaim bankruptcy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3AW2dDXx1I

and druaga1 obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHZboNN12U

overall i think LGR is like the absolute king of this stuff though; the videos are incredibly well produced while still having this homely, cozy vibe. frankly i'd watch that poo poo if it was on tv, but i think the youtube format really suits him. the production value of linus et al (when he's trying really hard to do a big timey review, i actually kind of like his stream of consciousness fuckups) feels a bit wrong to me, like a sultana in a salad

Crotch Fruit posted:

I was recently surprised to see Barnacules actually has been releasing videos, like once a month or so but he is releasing videos. The biggest reason I stopped watching Barnacules was the number of items he gets donated to him as well as the over usage of dumb jokes *ladies*. I cant really hate on someone for getting free poo poo like a robotic arm or a Peugot Sound computer worth $10K, I just don't want to support someone who gets free poo poo and then does not use it. I felt like Barnacules was either spending too much money, or being given too much free stuff, and not using the expensive tech enough in his videos. I'm not sure if I consider Barnacules better or worse than Linus, they both make immature jokes and waste a lot of money, only Linus is successful at whoring himself and Barnacules is not. I do think that lately Linus' tech videos are more informative than Barnacules, but that's not saying much. Linus and Barnacules both make me interested in the tech they are talking about without being as dry and professional as more educational, strictly technical videos.

i really hate the guy's style so i don't generally watch him but apparently he's clinically depressed with ongoing mental health issues which prob explains the sporadic uploading. hope he's managing ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEl6JiffZg

Theophany posted:

idk im vegetarian and i'll still say that looks like a lovely snack fam

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 22, 2018

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Devian666 posted:

I think it's mainly because he's a university lecturer, so a lot of his stuff is very much in the "get the information across without a bunch of wackiness" vein. It's actually kind of refreshing because the dude is unabashedly a nerd, but not in the modern "I like pop culture things that are currently trendy" sense of today, but the old-school 1980s kind of nerd who likes computers and stuff like that and doesn't worry about whether or not it makes him look hip or cool.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Devian666 posted:

I think some youtube vidoes are approaching the standards of quality for broadcast TV with like good lighting and coherent plot lines, but so many youtubers go overboard with lame sex jokes. I can stand a sex joke every once in a while during a video, I cant stand Barnacules saying "ladies" every 30 seconds in his videos.

I think what I hate most on you tube videos are people who refuse to edit out their mistakes or make any sort of coherent plan before starting to record their video. Like if you search for a video on how to use a particular Word or Powerpoint feature there is a good chance you will find a 15 minute video from a 10 year old kid who bumbles his way around going "click this menu oh no wait that menu no maybe here" and still get the process completely wrong. I mean I like seeing some of the mistakes Linus made to understand "why didn't he just do X and be done in 5 minutes? Linus is so dumb" when you really see "X would have worked in 5 minutes BUT we tried it and. . .".

I also cant remember the last time I watched a video over 30 minutes long and I don't think I have ever watched a live stream. I don't want to watch someone fumble along trying to build something, I want the cliff notes "here is what I made, here is what I tried and why the super easy fast method fails".

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think it's mainly because he's a university lecturer, so a lot of his stuff is very much in the "get the information across without a bunch of wackiness" vein. It's actually kind of refreshing because the dude is unabashedly a nerd, but not in the modern "I like pop culture things that are currently trendy" sense of today, but the old-school 1980s kind of nerd who likes computers and stuff like that and doesn't worry about whether or not it makes him look hip or cool.
I simply cant convince myself to watch Chris Barnett's videos, for one I just don't really care a lot about SBCs, but his style is just too dry, I want to see videos that are more hands on and less talking. I don't mind some dry videos so long as it's still a little hands on and about an interesting topic, like Engineerguy's video on pop cans. Engineerguy later went on to do a 13 part series on candles and well, holy poo poo. On the one hand I'm intrigued and want to know what every last molecule is doing when my candle burns but it's still just a candle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I simply cant convince myself to watch Chris Barnett's videos, for one I just don't really care a lot about SBCs, but his style is just too dry, I want to see videos that are more hands on and less talking. I don't mind some dry videos so long as it's still a little hands on and about an interesting topic, like Engineerguy's video on pop cans.

Fair enough, though in the interest of fairness I should point out that a lot of his videos are pretty hands on re: building and testing the SBCs he reviews, upgrading his various work computers, etc. That said, his style is definitely not to everyone's taste, and if SBCs aren't your thing then yeah, there wouldn't be much else in his channel to grab your interest.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I also cant remember the last time I watched a video over 30 minutes long and I don't think I have ever watched a live stream. I don't want to watch someone fumble along trying to build something, I want the cliff notes "here is what I made, here is what I tried and why the super easy fast method fails".

I simply cant convince myself to watch Chris Barnett's videos, for one I just don't really care a lot about SBCs, but his style is just too dry, I want to see videos that are more hands on and less talking. I don't mind some dry videos so long as it's still a little hands on and about an interesting topic, like Engineerguy's video on pop cans. Engineerguy later went on to do a 13 part series on candles and well, holy poo poo. On the one hand I'm intrigued and want to know what every last molecule is doing when my candle burns but it's still just a candle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw
Have you seen Project Binky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX4lBvHDMs8
I mean cars are tech stuff after all. I'm pretty sure every video is over 30 minutes long but in no way could you describe what they're doing as fumbling.

Engineerguy's soda can video is amazing. It's perfectly presented and really eye-opening to see how much thought, skill and technology goes into even such a simple object that we don't think about at all.

For some more dry tech stuff, Computerphile has some interesting CS related videos. Most are probably not a big revelation to anyone who studied the subject or even self-taught hacks such as myself, but even then it can be quite fascinating as he often has has guest old-school professors or Brian loving Kernighan on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2Hsvxaf8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG2M4ttzBnY

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Who doesn't love Wendell? My knowledge on computer stuff isn't very deep but I can tell he knows his stuff inside and out, also has a stellar voice:
https://www.youtube.com/user/teksyndicate/

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Purgatory Glory posted:

Who doesn't love Wendell? My knowledge on computer stuff isn't very deep but I can tell he knows his stuff inside and out, also has a stellar voice:
https://www.youtube.com/user/teksyndicate/

i thought you were confused by linking to teksyndicate but apparently wendell took the teksyndicate youtube name and teksyndicate/formerly crit got the razethew0rld one?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

i thought you were confused by linking to teksyndicate but apparently wendell took the teksyndicate youtube name and teksyndicate/formerly crit got the razethew0rld one?

Yeah, I did a double-take when pasting it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

hahaha i never noticed that, nice coup d'etat

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
More than one poster ITT is jonesing for a LGR food fix

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

More than one poster ITT is jonesing for a LGR food fix

Seriously, I really loving wanted another LGR Food video. What's the freaking hold up?!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I misclicked an old LTT video and decided "what the heck, ill let it play". Linus' voice wasn't bad at all back then. I get that youtube/twitch personalities generally have to adjust their voice to appeal to a wider audience, but today's high pitched Linus sounds awful by comparison. I want to know if he's aware of the change.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

I misclicked an old LTT video and decided "what the heck, ill let it play". Linus' voice wasn't bad at all back then. I get that youtube/twitch personalities generally have to adjust their voice to appeal to a wider audience, but today's high pitched Linus sounds awful by comparison. I want to know if he's aware of the change.

Probably just has a better microphone. Or he's dropped something heavy on his nuts.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've found this channel as of late.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3rK4_AbQfu1Lv9GI1tKp4A/videos

While an Apple fan, he does manage to have very thoughtful views and clearly puts a great deal of effort into writing his script. Which is pretty rare on Youtube. He also actually does meaningful research. Which is nice.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

buglord posted:

i saw him out christmas shopping the other day and he was yelling at his kids and was even higher pitched than he is on video. maybe it's like that thing where you talk differently to dogs and children

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
If I see Linus making a dumb face next to a computer thing on my youtube recommendations again I'm suing Google

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!
I've been watching a bunch of LGR vids recently. Not just his vids focusing on ancient hardware (which are great), but also his video game ones, and when I ran across the one he did for Lionhead's The Movies, I remembered how much fun I had loving around making stupid machinima vids with that game. I'd lost my original copy years ago somehow, so I ended up seeking out and ordering a copy on eBay last night. Thanks LGR! :thumbsup:

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've been watching a bunch of LGR vids recently. Not just his vids focusing on ancient hardware (which are great), but also his video game ones, and when I ran across the one he did for Lionhead's The Movies, I remembered how much fun I had loving around making stupid machinima vids with that game. I'd lost my original copy years ago somehow, so I ended up seeking out and ordering a copy on eBay last night. Thanks LGR! :thumbsup:

If you like old stuff reviewed/played around with then you will absolutely love Techmoan.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Technology Connections for old things. He makes no attempt to hide that he's basically doing Wikipedia articles on video, but there's additional context of seeing the stuff/concepts work.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Sometimes I like Technology Connections but most of the time I would rather just read the Wikipedia article instead. What I like most about techmoan, LGR, or 8-bit guy is when they get hands on with old hardware and have to repair or restore it, I haven't seen that on technology connections. Technology Connections is still better than Linus.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 25, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Linus is at it again, reviewing a ridiculously cheap AliExpress monitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47WkAyjxESo

You'd think it would be like $50 but no, even if it's $200 Canadian pesos, you can still get a brand name 27" curved monitor for less so it's pretty dumb. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LC27...ps%2C449&sr=8-8

mewse
May 2, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Linus is at it again, reviewing a ridiculously cheap AliExpress monitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47WkAyjxESo

You'd think it would be like $50 but no, even if it's $200 Canadian pesos, you can still get a brand name 27" curved monitor for less so it's pretty dumb. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LC27...ps%2C449&sr=8-8

Reviewing as a Canadian:

The aliexpress is shown listed at $200 USD, looking it up myself shipping is 80-100 USD additional

That amazon link you put has 80 CAD for shipping. e: oh thats usd too

The aliexpress monitor seems to have warehouses in the states so maybe Linus is making the video for his american viewers?

mewse fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 21, 2019

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
If you are into old PCs then PhilsComputerLab is a really great channel, he has lots of videos with benchmarks and building tutorials that are super helpful.

Here's him building a 486 with a modern power supply and flash based storage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHIVGxNnkbA

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ziploc posted:

While an Apple fan, he does manage to have very thoughtful views and clearly puts a great deal of effort into writing his script. Which is pretty rare on Youtube. He also actually does meaningful research. Which is nice.

Rene Ritchee has been doing vlogs and regular appears among Leo Laporte's circle of crusty old 486-era tech mans when they discuss Apple. (I have old 90s issues of InfoWORLD with stories about NeXT and SPARC so I kid with respect but cmon).

On the subject of Apple videos, if you'd like Apple opinions and occasional throwbacks with a healthy dose of cynicism I enjoy Snazzy Labs. If you're into iOS, 91Tech is a guy who does a video or two a week about the value of old iDevices and whether you should buy/sell, he's pretty quiet and monotone and the videos are polished.

I would hesitate to suggest Simple Alpaca because he raises all the flags of a rich kid whose family owns the entire Apple consumer line and is trying to spin that into cash back by producing several videos a day comparing every iPhone ever made against one another twice a year and floating rumor bubbles. This is definitely a quantity over quality approach that will absolutely grate on some people's nerves, however he does very non-scientific tests between all the toys that he owns so if you're really curious how much faster an iPhone 8 can load the News app over an iPhone 7 after some minor bugfix OS update, there you are.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus took apart one of his $50,000 RED Digital Cinema 8K cameras. Why? To mod it with water cooling. Note that he took it apart completely blind and with no actual plan for how he was going to do the mod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFrK-l3VSzY

Ben Heck actually showed up in the comments to dunk on Linus:

quote:

Ben Heck Hacks
2 days ago
Of course this project is possible. But you're going to need far more skill than has been displayed in your other builds. I'd get on the horn with CNC mill operators/machinists ASAP and get whichever minion of yours is best with 3D design to start drawing the mating surfaces of all parts to be cooled.

Also for those wondering it would take about 35 million views for a YouTube video to pay for this camera. Not enough cats, dancing or Fortnite for that to happen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

Ben Heck actually showed up in the comments to dunk on Linus:

Holy man now I'm imagining ben heck watching the lovely heatsink series of videos and cringing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I get this overwhelming feeling that when the camera stops rolling, and with 50 grand worth of camera parts sprawled across his table, he turns to his staff, yells "CLEAN THAT UP!" then storms out the room.