Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

This Burial Ground movie is really something. The “kid” playing Michael is far more off putting than any of the zombies.

Just wait till you see how his/his moms story line ends up. That movies a “classic” for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drunkboxer posted:

This Burial Ground movie is really something. The “kid” playing Michael is far more off putting than any of the zombies.

Momma!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I fuckin' love Burial Ground.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In one of the (only?) Italian dubs he's just voiced by an raspy adult with a deep voice which makes it like 10X better/worse.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Just wait till you see how his/his moms story line ends up. That movies a “classic” for a reason

Ha yeah what a ending. The typo in the quote at the end also helps elevate it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alhazred posted:

You should read Martha Washington:

It bothers me a lot that her pants have no shading at all.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Edgar Wright is making a psychological horror movie set in London with a female lead. I need it in me now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

It's a little annoying that they're calling it his horror debut when his first well-known film is regularly considered one of the best zombie movies. I don't care if it's also a comedy, it's a horror movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe he only said so because Shaun doesn’t really try to be scary at all, so this his chance to flex those muscles.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe he only said so because Shaun doesn’t really try to be scary at all, so this his chance to flex those muscles.

It's the author of the article I'm griping about. They even say in it that Shaun doesn't count as horror, which is annoying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah. He can suck my rear end then.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Shaun is a genuinely scary movie, especially once they get to the bar and main cast members start dying. Plus it doesn’t get credit for having a very solid score, although off the top of my head I couldn’t say how much is lifted directly from the Goblin Dawn of the Dead score.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
People who don't like horror mixing with comedy definitely exist(not too long ago someone here said they felt that way) but they're like people who don't want their food mixing on the plate. They're missing out on some great combinations.

But that's the way some think about comedy, if there's any amount of it in the movie it's a comedy and ceases to be anything else.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror Comedy is my favorite version of both genres tbh. I can definitely take horror on it’s own, but comedy alone is a much harder sell for me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They go well together because the formulas for both are exactly the same, it’s a constant build and punchline, ad nauseum. Special effects people even refer to kills and stuff as “gags”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Horror and comedy are both very audience participatory as well. They share that interactive dna. I mean anyone who has seen a horror or comedy in a packed house vs watching the same movie alone on Netflix can definitely understand that in practice.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Shaun is a genuinely scary movie, especially once they get to the bar and main cast members start dying. Plus it doesn’t get credit for having a very solid score, although off the top of my head I couldn’t say how much is lifted directly from the Goblin Dawn of the Dead score.

The evisceration scene near the end is still one of the best kills from a zombie movie.

There's a lot of fun stuff with the music I still notice these days. I think it was a recent viewing that I just noticed that the opening pub scene is set to "Ghost Town" by The Specials.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just suddenly got reminded of Zombie Master, that old asymmetrical horror game where one player is in an RTS style commanding zombies and activating traps and the rest are playing an FPS as survivors. Someone made a custom Shaun of the Dead map that has you go from the flats all the way to the Winchester basement, including the sounds and musical cues. It was really simplistic but a lot of fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
How come nobody told me about Clancy Brown in Pet Sematary Two. I'd have watched it years ago.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Oh my god, he’s an absolute riot in that movie. Like he’s the entire reason to watch it.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I never saw the remake but holy cow if it's worse than The Rage: Carrie 2 I doubt I ever will. Though I didn't like, DESPISE Carrie 2, it was just wasn't very good.
I mean Carrie 2 has an ending where a bunch of Fred-Durst-looking proto-chuds get slaughtered, and I'm willing to take that where I can get it.

quote:

Wasn't there an attempt at a Carrie TV pilot a couple of times too as well as a made for TV movie in like 2009 or something? What a weird property.
Broadway. Musical.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

How come nobody told me about Clancy Brown in Pet Sematary Two. I'd have watched it years ago.

He's loving great in that movie too. Nobody plays rear end in a top hat sheriff step-dad better.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
One thing that article did right was linking the Don't trailer, because, by god, that looks like such an awesome movie.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Thinkin bout Clancy Brown watching rabbits gently caress.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

My Twitter Account posted:

Broadway. Musical.
There's also a musical episode of Riverdale that exclusively uses music from Carrie the Musical.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's also a musical episode of Riverdale that exclusively uses music from Carrie the Musical.

I need to start watching that show again because that owns

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

K. Waste posted:

One thing that article did right was linking the Don't trailer, because, by god, that looks like such an awesome movie.

That trailer is long overdue for one of those YouTube videos where they overanalyze and break down every single moment and frame, because there's just so much stuff there to unpack.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

King Vidiot posted:

That trailer is long overdue for one of those YouTube videos where they overanalyze and break down every single moment and frame, because there's just so much stuff there to unpack.

Wish granted, kinda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXrrWNstl0

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oh drat, Shudder's got a great looking doc coming out soon about black people in horror movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmyueIwsMlo

If you live in LA, they're going to premiere it at the Egyptian Theater on the 1st of February, and then they're doing a double feature on Feb. 2nd of Tales from the Hood and Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. :ghost::ghost::ghost:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 22, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

Because Pet Sematary 2 is never worth talking about.

ruddiger posted:

Oh drat, Shudder's got a great looking doc coming out soon about black people in horror movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmyueIwsMlo

If you live in LA, they're going to premiere it at the Egyptian Theater on the 1st of February, and then they're doing a double feature on Feb. 2nd of Tales from the Hood and Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. :ghost::ghost::ghost:

I might have to check these premieres out, I loved the one for Downrange I went to.

Speaking of which, does anyone feel like Shudder's momentum has slowed down dramatically and the selection isn't that great?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

s.i.r.e. posted:

Uh it has death by potato truck, so that is patently false.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Pet Sematary 2 is great because Clancy Brown is loving awesome and therefore it is also awesome. It's even more fun than the first film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone feel like Shudder's momentum has slowed down dramatically and the selection isn't that great?

I disagree with both statements. Pet Sematary 2 was good fun and Shudder had another strong year. A solid list of exclusives like Mandy, Cold Hell, Revenge and Better Watch Out, plus Joe Bobs marathons and the addition of some real heavy hitters like Halloween.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Pet Sematary 2 is a better Tales From The Crypt movie than Bordello Of Blood.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shaun and Hot Fuzz own. World's End does not own, however.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Compared to how Netflix has been, I'd say Shudder's still knocking it out of the park. While they're dipping into the original material/exclusives waters, they're still not sacrificing what has built them up so far. Netflix on the other hand's been cutting their movies catalog and going heavy on the original programming which might not appeal to everyone.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shudder just finished the year off with two Joe Bob marathons, how is that slowing down?

And Pet Semetary 2 is awesome, altho I know a lot of people turned off by the rabbit butchering scene (the song playing over that scene is fuckin sick tho).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI99uLJb_1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZVRQ3z5qE

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Compared to how Netflix has been, I'd say Shudder's still knocking it out of the park. While they're dipping into the original material/exclusives waters, they're still not sacrificing what has built them up so far. Netflix on the other hand's been cutting their movies catalog and going heavy on the original programming which might not appeal to everyone.

Not to defend a corporate entity, but I don't think Netflix is cutting that stuff cuz they want to. All the rights holders want a piece of that streaming pie now that Netflix proved how profitable it can be.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Speaking of Netflix, they’re bringing back Unsolved Mysteries.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/01/18/rejoice-netflix-is-bringing-back-unsolved-mysteries

BIGFOOT ENCOUNTER REINACTMENTS IMMINENT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The narrator will be key, that show wouldn't have had any legs without Robert Stack.