Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

HenryEx posted:

Y'know what

this would probably fit right in here, even if it's not that surreal-

https://mangadex.org/title/33654/mr-villain-s-day-off

Not much to look at yet, but chp. 2 had a weird zen-trance like quality to it that i liked.

Pictured: the general of the alien army invading Earth on his day off

man Komi’s brother got into some nasty business after high school huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Senryu Girl
Someone is spying on Nanako and its NOT Prez.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Way of the House Husband

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

This manga... :kimchi:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Mr Villians Day Off is good hopefully more chapters come out

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A true man defends his wife's waifu with his lifu

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Mr Villians Day Off is good hopefully more chapters come out

Wish granted

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wholesome Succubus takes a turn for the teary ;_;

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wholesome is the right word, but man was I not ready for that gut punch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

For a manga with a character just hanging out in such a lewd outfit all the time, this is surprisingly wholesome and purehearted.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I thought you were linking to Yuutsu to Succubus-san at first, but I didn't see any updates for it.

If you like the other succubus one (which I'll read now, thanks!), you'll probably like this one.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm bummed yuutsu has not updated in so long. it's a perfect wish-fulfillment mang for weirdos like me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm bummed yuutsu has not updated in so long. it's a perfect wish-fulfillment mang for weirdos like me.
It hasn't had an update since the first volume was released so I fear there isn't much left to translate even if it gets picked back up in the future.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Is that the SECOND 'Stress goblin gets a supernatural caretaker' series?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crasical posted:

Art and media reflect the zeitgeist.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Crasical posted:

I can think of 3 off the top of my head

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'd posted one on the last page as well. It's not super common, but it's out there.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

chumbler posted:

Art and media reflect the zeitgeist.
Remember when portal fantasies were about wanting to return home, instead of loving around forever in the new world?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I guess writers and readers don't want to have a story where the main character learns some lessons through hardship and adversity, then passes up on a life of luxury and magic to return home to their own responsibilities with renewed courage and newfound drive. Why do that when instead you can build up your own kingdom and have a slave harem? :shrug: I don't know what the climate of Light Novels and the full variety of "another world" stories were like in Japan prior to the mid-00's boom. But most of the shows I remember getting my hands on prior to that were pretty weighted towards the cast trying to get back to Earth. Or in some rare cases the means of moving between Earth and wherever else was treated as a revolving door and movement between the two was pretty casual (Digimon Adventure 02 comes to mind).

Now I think the most common hook is the Main character(s) dying and then being reincarnated. So no return trip and it kind of hammers home the escapist mentality these stories ooze.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
A Story About The Time I Travelled To A Parallel World That Hadn't Wrecked The Climate Yet.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

90s nostalgia time-travel stories are 100% going to be a thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if anyone wants to go back to the time of t-shirts tucked into jeans.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

I guess writers and readers don't want to have a story where the main character learns some lessons through hardship and adversity, then passes up on a life of luxury and magic to return home to their own responsibilities with renewed courage and newfound drive.

I think this is partly because it's increasingly obvious that courage and drive get you precisely gently caress all in and of themselves. Sure, they're great attributes, but people are finally starting to wise up to the fact that actually plenty of people work hard and endure deprivation resolutely and don't get the house with the white picket fence and the two kids and a dog. :shrug: Possibly it's a side-effect of cheap internet access making the stories of "underdogs who didn't come out on top" more visible, versus the time when the only underdog stories you ever got to hear were the ones where they ended up millionaires and made the news.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I don't know if anyone wants to go back to the time of t-shirts tucked into jeans.

A time machine to yesterday would be p. sweet to have sometimes

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Youre a god drat moron if youd leave the dumbass harem rpg world to become an office worker

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
"I got transported to another world with cheat skills, but so did Big Boss and now everyone loves him?!?" my new light Novel coming out in April.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

ElBrak posted:

"I got transported to another world with cheat skills, but so did Big Boss and now everyone loves him?!?" my new light Novel coming out in April.

I'd be down for a Metal Gear Solid Isekai.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

There is one, it's called Metal Gear Survive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jigoku San posted:

There is one, it's called Metal Gear Survive.
poo poo, it really is, isn't it

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Everyone already loves Big Boss, it's why he can shoot all your friends, throw you down the stairs and tie you to a balloon, and you'll still join his private army.

Plus he has the power of pocket-hamsters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Two new Gyaru & Dinosaur

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

halleys comet posted:

Youre a god drat moron if youd leave the dumbass harem rpg world to become an office worker

truth

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Then again, maybe we need a manga where a fantasy peasant gets Isekai'd over here and is all "Wait, you just poke them with a thing and my baby won't die of plague? And the Great Horned Evil One doesn't eat your firstborn? And this industrial loom makes more cloth in a second than the kingdom does in a year, so my child won't freeze to death?"

Though I guess most fantasy worlds just have cheerful peasants with gardens, rather than digging up frozen cabbage fields so they don't starve.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I think this is partly because it's increasingly obvious that courage and drive get you precisely gently caress all in and of themselves. Sure, they're great attributes, but people are finally starting to wise up to the fact that actually plenty of people work hard and endure deprivation resolutely and don't get the house with the white picket fence and the two kids and a dog. :shrug: Possibly it's a side-effect of cheap internet access making the stories of "underdogs who didn't come out on top" more visible, versus the time when the only underdog stories you ever got to hear were the ones where they ended up millionaires and made the news.

I mean this is pretty much true; spending your whole life working only to not get what you dream of, or attain great success. Then having someone moralize to you that sacrificing that 1 in a million chance at prophecy and success that you've attained by being pulled to some other world, just to go back to the mundane life you have in reality is a hard sell. Why would you give up riches, power, and glory just to work your normal 9-5? I'm reminded of a game I've never played but heard some things about, final fantasy tactics advance. Where the playable character and his friends get pulled into a magic book and he spends the entire game getting everyone to leave. Including his friend who is physically disabled but now has full use of his body inside the magic book. I don't know how it goes but how do you convince someone to go back to being wheelchair bound instead of staying in a world where reality is his bitch?

The only anime I think presents a legitimate reason not to linger was Now and Then, Here and There. Where the alternative to modern day japan is a blasted and hellish landscape.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it was his own brother who was in a wheelchair actually. The friend was bullied and had a dead mom and deadbeat dad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually, the author of Dansan Joshi (one of my fave comedies!) does an Isekai Manga where the supernatural agents themselves are working a 9-5 job. It's pretty great.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Sleepy Princess

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Everything about this manga is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Brought To You By posted:

I mean this is pretty much true; spending your whole life working only to not get what you dream of, or attain great success. Then having someone moralize to you that sacrificing that 1 in a million chance at prophecy and success that you've attained by being pulled to some other world, just to go back to the mundane life you have in reality is a hard sell. Why would you give up riches, power, and glory just to work your normal 9-5? I'm reminded of a game I've never played but heard some things about, final fantasy tactics advance. Where the playable character and his friends get pulled into a magic book and he spends the entire game getting everyone to leave. Including his friend who is physically disabled but now has full use of his body inside the magic book. I don't know how it goes but how do you convince someone to go back to being wheelchair bound instead of staying in a world where reality is his bitch?

The only anime I think presents a legitimate reason not to linger was Now and Then, Here and There. Where the alternative to modern day japan is a blasted and hellish landscape.

For FFTA, something a lot of people gloss over is that it wasn't just them pulled into that world. Reality restructured and everyone in their town is there in some capacity, including a bunch of kids who are forced into hellish existence as zombies.

Also they plan to break the world because the one kid is ruling it as a tyrant and loving things up for everyone because the book is giving him a ton of power to reshape reality, and you really don't want a traumatised child as your god.