Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve literally had no problem with my feet getting cold or going numb. No socks?? Undoing buckles? No sir.

Some wool socks and ski boots, strap them up and go all day from first chair. If your extremities are cold then get that core temp up with some more layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have stiff boots and generally buckle them pretty tight. My feet get cold and my right big toe usually gets a little numb. Not miserable, but I do flip a few buckles up on the chair most of the time

No socks is madness though. Not just for comfort but also because they wick sweat away

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I can't imagine not wearing socks. Although if you have a comfortable enough liner it might not be too bad.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
For the sake of everyone around when you remove your ski boots please wear socks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think I'd rather stab myself than not wear ski socks.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HookShot posted:

I think I'd rather stab myself than not wear ski socks.

Same. Also ski boots are the worst but after 26 years of skiing I finally have boots that only hurt for the first hour or so. :dreams:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

As the past dozen or so posts demonstrate, individual experiences with ski boots varies wildly.

Some people have a weird shaped foot and can't ever quite manage to get comfortable. Some have poor circulation and are always cold/numb. Others ski stiff boots all day without any hassle.

Personally I have the Platonic Ideal of Lange Foot so my boots fit great.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

As the past dozen or so posts demonstrate, individual experiences with ski boots varies wildly.

Some people have a weird shaped foot and can't ever quite manage to get comfortable. Some have poor circulation and are always cold/numb. Others ski stiff boots all day without any hassle.

Personally I have the Platonic Ideal of Lange Foot so my boots fit great.

Don't forget about us guys with big calves. My boots caused a little soreness/coldness issues 2 years ago (and then I missed a season) but I didn't have any issues so far with them this season. I don't even remember if I popped the top buckles while having lunch on the second day.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I ski in a race boot all day every day for everything and I get numbness on a mildly cold day. I routinely open every buckle and the strap for lifts in that situation. I wear ultra thins, and there's a fair amount of customisation going on inside the boot for me. I have heaters.

I have heard of people not wearing a sock to try to make a very tight boot viable, and it is a thing people can do until the liner gets packed more. The issue is the liner will become disgusting in short order. Better off heating the liner and wearing the boot with your foot in it indoors to try to pack it faster; no sock in a boot is not a long term solution because you'll just ruin your liner.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Don't forget about us guys with big calves. My boots caused a little soreness/coldness issues 2 years ago (and then I missed a season) but I didn't have any issues so far with them this season. I don't even remember if I popped the top buckles while having lunch on the second day.
Do your boots have removable spoilers for big calves? My race boots came with them, but they're removable generally for women because our shorter legs mean the calves become an issue. Mine were taken out because of that, but it might solve your problem, too.

Disinterested posted:

I ski in a race boot all day every day for everything and I get numbness on a mildly cold day. I routinely open every buckle and the strap for lifts in that situation. I wear ultra thins, and there's a fair amount of customisation going on inside the boot for me. I have heaters.

I have heard of people not wearing a sock to try to make a very tight boot viable, and it is a thing people can do until the liner gets packed more. The issue is the liner will become disgusting in short order. Better off heating the liner and wearing the boot with your foot in it indoors to try to pack it faster; no sock in a boot is not a long term solution because you'll just ruin your liner.

High five minus-five-celcius-is-frostbite-weather race boot buddy!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Those of you who have hot-tronics: how do you know if the heater is doing its job? I cranked the battery up to high and put my hand inside/touched the heating pad at the toe of the liner and I couldn't detect any warmth. Wondering if it's really that subtle or if I had a bad install/short.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

How to make your ski area management look like assholes;

(from what I heard this wasn't posted by the main resort, instead by the concessions, but still)

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

man I quit working at mountains because of the increases in bullshit management rules, sucks to see it still happening. I just wanted to chill and ride in between teaching lessons but nooo, you can't be trusted to be a responsible employee and check in and out to see how busy it is, you have to be monitored at all times :rolleyes:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LostCosmonaut posted:

How to make your ski area management look like assholes;

(from what I heard this wasn't posted by the main resort, instead by the concessions, but still)

So dedicated to your poo poo job you’re considering spending the night there for free? Yeah, well double gently caress you!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
On boot chat, the best solution is to go to a trusted shop with good knowledgeable personnel, then ask them to help fit you into some comfortable snowboard boots. Hope that helps.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Mongoose posted:

On boot chat, the best solution is to go to a trusted shop with good knowledgeable personnel, then ask them to help fit you into some comfortable snowboard boots. Hope that helps.

:agreed:

But I’m on my second and unfortunately last pair of black diamond factors and they fit me like a dream so idk maybe I just have the right socks.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Man that lesson at copper was the poo poo! What a great call. I actually missed my saturday lesson because I-70W traffic on saturday morning was so bad it took me an hour to get from frisco to copper (had to park at the conoco and hoof it to the bus stop). The parking lot bros were saying ~8000 people there that day?

So I rescheduled to Sunday and it was perfect. Huge crowds again, but only 2 other people in the adult blue level lessons with 2 instructors for us. The other snowboarders said they were green/blue and I told them I was blue/black so they took us up Union Creek Quad to a green run. Instructor said "alright guys, just show us how you ride and we'll start from there". Well once everyone was strapped up I kinda just hit the gas and flew down the mountain. When we met up again at the bottom the other instructor came up and was like "right so, here's what we're gonna do. other instructor is gonna take those two and work with them and you and i are going over to the blues and blacks". So basically I got private instruction at group lesson rates, I made sure to tip my guy well afterwards

I learned a looot about where I can improve my carving and I have a game plan for what to work on in future trips. The side perk of getting to skip every single lift line on a holiday weekend was loving sweet too. Totally worth the cost of entry (~160 with ikon discount)

I also got to do a free woodward intro session and do front flips off trampolines into foam pits. I don't know how people loving jump huge jumps because just the trampoline was giving me vertigo

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

private lesson for $160 is a nice one. glad it was so helpful.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The sneaky private lesson for public rates is the best.

I've found you can get it somewhat frequently if you're above ~advanced intermediate, because people at that skill level are generally happy with where they're at and don't see lessons as worthwhile.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Most everyone can benefit from taking a lesson every once in a while.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I couldn't

Except learning how to do jumps better and flips, how do I learn that without dying

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ante posted:

I couldn't

Except learning how to do jumps better and flips, how do I learn that without dying
https://www.momentumskicamps.com/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bawfuls posted:

I've found you can get it somewhat frequently if you're above ~advanced intermediate, because people at that skill level are generally happy with where they're at and don't see lessons as worthwhile.

Mt Baker is awesome for that. Did 2 advanced 'group' lessons there, but I was the only one on the group. My wife did several 'advanced beginner' lessons and only one time had another student in her 'group;.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am thinking of getting a BC ski setup for those trips with long flatish runouts that suck on my split. Plus I do enjoy skiing as well.

Any opinions on all the BC boots out there? I am probably going to put the Salomon Shift binding on the skis. My in bound skis are in decent shape but can be a bit relegated to rock duty. So go for a all around setup geared a bit more towards the BC. (since I have a number of snowboards and a split I just can't get all quivery with skis...)

Any thoughts on skis? I am going to try for as much on sale as I can get. Probably 100-100 in the waist and 172-176 in length. I don't really want to a super duper light ski honestly but not a crazy heavy on either.

Also you should all tell me that I shouldn't do any of this, I have enough gear, I am hurt and don't spend money from FOMO, etc. etc. etc....

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I’ve had QST 106s as a one ski quiver for a few seasons now and they do everything except bulletproof better than they should.

Counterpoint: I haven’t skiied anything else modern and I’m on tele.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

I’ve had QST 106s as a one ski quiver for a few seasons now and they do everything except bulletproof better than they should.

Counterpoint: I haven’t skiied anything else modern and I’m on tele.

those are on the list for sure. I ride the Rocker2's right now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Take a look at the Nomad LT or whatever.

bawfuls posted:

Truth. I got a “private” steeps lesson at CB a few years ago that totally changed the way I approach skiing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I am thinking of getting a BC ski setup for those trips with long flatish runouts that suck on my split. Plus I do enjoy skiing as well.

Any opinions on all the BC boots out there? I am probably going to put the Salomon Shift binding on the skis. My in bound skis are in decent shape but can be a bit relegated to rock duty. So go for a all around setup geared a bit more towards the BC. (since I have a number of snowboards and a split I just can't get all quivery with skis...)

Any thoughts on skis? I am going to try for as much on sale as I can get. Probably 100-100 in the waist and 172-176 in length. I don't really want to a super duper light ski honestly but not a crazy heavy on either.

Also you should all tell me that I shouldn't do any of this, I have enough gear, I am hurt and don't spend money from FOMO, etc. etc. etc....
For boots, get whatever tech-compatible boot your preferred manufacturer makes. I presume you already know how to find ski boots that fit, and have gravitated towards a brand that seems to fit you best.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

4frnt raven is the hot poo poo touring ski right now and they're pretty reasonable at $600 retail, doubt you'll find them on sale tho

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

For boots, get whatever tech-compatible boot your preferred manufacturer makes. I presume you already know how to find ski boots that fit, and have gravitated towards a brand that seems to fit you best.

Looking around they pretty much all seem more or less the same. I am on Lange boots so kinda will have to see what fits best.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’ve been skiing Lange boots for a decade and the Freetour is my current boot. Fits and skis great, walk mode and WTR sole are great quality of life improvements even if I only tour a couple times a year.

I got that boot when it was new and the only tech fitting boot Lange made. Looks like now there are three different stiffnesses and two different last widths available with tech inserts and walk modes, so lots of options.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 23, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cool, I will check them out

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Are Langes good for narrow feet? I’ve been told Salomons are the best for narrow feet but when my current boots are finished I’d like to have a couple of options to shop.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lange makes the free tour 130 and 120 in a LV with a 97 last. The s/lab 120 has a 98 last.

Anybody skied the 4frnt hoji or BD Helios?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moot . posted:

Are Langes good for narrow feet? I’ve been told Salomons are the best for narrow feet but when my current boots are finished I’d like to have a couple of options to shop.

Yeah, they make 97mm lasts that are solid for narrow feet.

Fortunately they also make really good boots with 100mm lasts which works for me because my feet are roughly pancake shaped

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bawfuls posted:

I do this once a season, and have had it work more often than not. I'm unsure how much the instructors hate it. Last Saturday at squaw was a blackout day on ikon, and a lift ticket+ lesson package was only $50 bucks more than the window price. My wife and I essentially got a private instructor for a full day, which would normally be $800 or something ridiculous.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

I do this once a season, and have had it work more often than not. I'm unsure how much the instructors hate it. Last Saturday at squaw was a blackout day on ikon, and a lift ticket+ lesson package was only $50 bucks more than the window price. My wife and I essentially got a private instructor for a full day, which would normally be $800 or something ridiculous.

$800 is crazy. I think it was about the same in Whistler, my impression was that they were trying to encourage people towards the Max 4 small-group lessons, which I thought were great. The level 6 or whatever the advanced one was not really so much a lesson as really fun guided skiing with people a similar level.

(Just looked round here and it's Fr 450 in Verbier or 300-350 in smaller resorts)

(Re touring boots I bought some of the Salomon S/Lab X-Alps which look great in my living room, but I am still broken and not allowed to ski yet :( so no idea how they are in the snow)

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 23, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I was looking at some s/lab boots as well. Time to go try some stuff on, although it is hard in a sling...

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
there's going to be a new version of the hojiboot out next year with an alpine toe; I'm buying that

also a new version of the atomic hawx touring boot, which is also class-leading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Trying to spend less money, buy on sale if possible (although I will pay full price for boots). I will keep it in mind though.