Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
You know what was great? Working in a Costco that was going through an expansion/remodel. Went from the smallest warehouse in the Midwest to the biggest in the Midwest. It was so much fun working around contractors and them working around me. I'm so glad it's all over with now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jingleheimer posted:

You know what was great? Working in a Costco that was going through an expansion/remodel. Went from the smallest warehouse in the Midwest to the biggest in the Midwest. It was so much fun working around contractors and them working around me. I'm so glad it's all over with now.

This doesn't sound like it was a great experience at all though, OP?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

This doesn't sound like it was a great experience at all though, OP?

No it was not great. We were constantly moving stuff around, way more than usual. The bakery and deli were both shut down for 5 weeks each. We had to take a bunch of steel down and put more up elsewhere. It was very frustrating.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

priznat posted:

Oh another one that I haven’t seen in some time was in the costco made food section. It was a Korean Bulgogi Beef pre sauced stuff you take and stir fry and it was god drat excellent. Wish they would bring that back.

Still have them in Seattle :smuggo:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

priznat posted:

Yeah, I see the Stacy's pita chips at the supermarket but the bag sizes are puny and expensive I never get them.

I believe Stacy's copacks for Trader Joe's, and they're cheaper than the regular grocery store.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Pissed. So very pissed.

The giant beef ribs the commercial grade Costco had for the longest time are now boneless, small sections, and twice the price. Why gently caress with a good thing?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hasselblad posted:

Pissed. So very pissed.

The giant beef ribs the commercial grade Costco had for the longest time are now boneless, small sections, and twice the price. Why gently caress with a good thing?

whoa, back down off the ledge

Sometimes suppliers change, sometimes forever, sometimes not. Ask someone at Costco, they will help.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

vigorously shaking a costco associate by the shoulders screaming at them to fix your marraige

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

kirkland brand marriage counseling

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rex-Goliath posted:

kirkland brand marriage counseling
it even comes in twin packs! great value. praise be

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Pissed. So very pissed.

It's the drat millennials. They're afraid of bones because they're so pampered. Their mommies always cut up their meat for them and now they can only microwave chicken tenders. They're the ones you should hate. :hehe:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hypnolobster posted:

whoa, back down off the ledge

Sometimes suppliers change, sometimes forever, sometimes not. Ask someone at Costco, they will help.

They DID however still have the whole mutton carcasses.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

There was a 3 pack of 32 degrees men's undies that was nice but I think is out of the store. Please come back.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

priznat posted:

Oh another one that I haven’t seen in some time was in the costco made food section. It was a Korean Bulgogi Beef pre sauced stuff you take and stir fry and it was god drat excellent. Wish they would bring that back.

Bulgogi is very easy to make and I would suggest you do that via a recipe like this one:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/bulgogi-korean-grilled-beef/

Costco is amazing in all things EXCEPT some of the prepared food items. For instance, the poke is offensively expensive. It's like double the cost of making your own poke from the raw tuna in the meat section. Poke is easy. Bulgogi is easy. I have a guide to picking good quality raw tuna in this thread somewhere. If someone is interested ill drag it up and maybe even write some more about it.

This is my favorite poke recipe except I suggest you add a bit of mayonnaise, some spicy chilis, and some extra soy sauce:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/ahi-poke-hawaiian-raw-tuna-salad-recipe.html

When you get these items you are paying by the pound for extra water weight and things like onions. Stop the cycle. Make your own fuckin' food, it's better and way, way cheaper.

Anyways I've mentioned that sometimes Costco, on the rare occasion that it bestows its blessing, will carry the Yancey's Fancy Habanero Jalapeno cheese, a cheese created by the gods of this universe for those who love spicy cheese.

Well after literally months of looking for it every single time I go (which is a lot because I get gas there for my commute; roughly twice a week) I finally found the loving cheese again. Like any good disciple would, I bought an entire wheel of it for an exceptionally low price of $60.

Behold the lord and his savings:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Holy poo poo 3pack of exoficcio underwear for $25

Each pair is usually $26

Aww dang I looked for this after you posted and unfortunately we don't have it here. I ONLY wear Exofficio boxers so I was very sad.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 21, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gdamn i want somea dat cheese

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LMAO at Costco costing more than a regular store.

Costco is a good price on very high quality stuff. You can ultimately spend less shopping at regular grocery stores, but you're not buying the same items.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you're not using every bit of whatever you buy from Costco you're doing it wrong, but it does take some time to dial it in

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

If you're not using every bit of whatever you buy from Costco you're doing it wrong, but it does take some time to dial it in

This is a good and modest point. I am shamed to say that it took years for my fiancee and I to dial in the Costco savings, and I frequently wasted food. Though I am convinced that it wasn't any more expensive than paying extra at the supermarket, but still.

Now that we have figured out what we like and how much we like (and bought a chest freezer which EVERYONE who shops at Costco should have a loving chest freezer) the value of our shopping skyrocketed.

Praise be. If anyone is on the fence about getting a chest freezer, speak up and I will count the ways.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Taima posted:

...chest freezer...

Heresy, Stand up freezers are the only way to go. But yes you should have a freezer of some sort.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, stand up is the way to go. With our chest freezer we would always end up stacking the new stuff on the old stuff and lose track of it. With a stand up, I can see everything when I open the door because it has shelves. This means we actually eat the food instead of burying it and losing it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I want a fridge where the big part is the freezer and the small part is the refrigerator.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You obviously have both.

But if you're losing food in your chest freezer, maybe you're just bad at it, or don't have a nice one? Ours has organizational baskets all over the place to store whatever.

The problem is that stand up freezers are horribly inefficient because they drop the entire batch of cold air out due to gravity whenever you open it. That's why chest freezers are so efficient. They are also like 3-5x cheaper per square foot than a stand up freezer just in terms of the materials required to make a chest freezer versus a full size stand up freezer.

The best call is to have both. Use the stand up freezer for immediate access in your kitchen (you are paying a ton for that freezer, but the convenience is worth it), and the chest freezer for everything else, ideally in the garage or whatever. But if you are losing items in your chest freezer, I would contend that you're just bad at owning one and should improve. I think that if you itemized the cost of owning additional standing freezer space, you would be pretty surprised at how much money you wasted vs having a chest freezer.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I love my ancient gigantic stand up freezer that came with the house when I bought it, except for when it starts filling up with ice and I have to dethaw it every 4 years or so.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Holy poo poo 3pack of exoficcio underwear for $25

Each pair is usually $26

Which 'Stco? I need this in my life (we are talking the give n go boxer brief, yes?)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Which 'Stco? I need this in my life (we are talking the give n go boxer brief, yes?)

Yeah give n go. This was at the Waltham one

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

I liked the kale and mozz chicken burgs, but the apple and Gouda sausages are tastier and you get like 18 for a dollar more.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why actually buy anything just live off chicken wraps

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

had my first trip to costco today

nothing fancy, just essentials

did buy like 3 gallons of white vinegar for making pickles though. also a brita water filter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Went to a costco today and it was insanely busy for a Monday afternoon. Didn’t help they only had 4 registers going, though. Poco is the worst.

So many oblivious people blocking aisles, I got to just doing a perfunctory “scuse me” and then bonking into them :haw:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FizFashizzle posted:

had my first trip to costco today

nothing fancy, just essentials

did buy like 3 gallons of white vinegar for making pickles though. also a brita water filter.

Filter the vinegar then film yourself chugging it. Such is the verdict of the thread.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Looking for shelving today, it appears that the Baton Rouge Costco got rid of all the shelving, and stocked up half a warehouse full of furniture.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
There is some sort of organized raid by fans of failed football teams.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Mini nann and hummus cups. PBUC.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Peachfart posted:

I love my ancient gigantic stand up freezer that came with the house when I bought it, except for when it starts filling up with ice and I have to dethaw it every 4 years or so.

Deicing a freezer is super satisfying though

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
My freezer is full of dead kids.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Big Data posted:

My freezer is full of dead kids.

What kind of value did you get on that haul?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

Went to a costco today and it was insanely busy for a Monday afternoon. Didn’t help they only had 4 registers going, though. Poco is the worst.

So many oblivious people blocking aisles, I got to just doing a perfunctory “scuse me” and then bonking into them :haw:

It's a holiday today.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Schadenboner posted:

Filter the vinegar then film yourself chugging it. Such is the verdict of the thread.

This is the first thing I thought of as well, it must be done.

My local Costcos sell Field Roast brand vegetarian sausage, which is awesome and freezes well and each has about 20g of protein.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

LMAO at Costco costing more than a regular store.

Costco is a good price on very high quality stuff. You can ultimately spend less shopping at regular grocery stores, but you're not buying the same items.
Ehhhhhhh, for some stuff. Like I've gotten plenty of the exact same brand of chicken for cheaper at winco (just normally) or spendier places with weekly coupons (like albertsons/safeway). Their fruit and veg is like always more expensive too with some niche exceptions (like spinach) and the quality isn't any higher, actually the one or two times I got pineapples from costco they sucked, winco is way better, and I've mentioned this to other people in my area and they also confirmed they found costco pineapples to be garbage. I dunno how cause it's like the same brand (dole) as everywhere else but it is known.

As far as fresh produce costco is totally worth it for dairy, good quality fish/beef, and uh, that's about it. For non fresh stuff they might be cheaper but tbh I don't eat a ton of frozen foods. Really the discount on non food stuff should cover the membership though, bathroom and kitchen supplies alone will more than make up that fee. Plus you can always splurge on big packs of snacks for easy additions to a packed lunch or w/e, recently I've been plowing through their nut n berry pouch and it's a++ breakfast food and I was feeling some chips so I got a box of the snack packs for like 25 cents a bag which is a nice treat at lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think a couple areas they really fall flat on their nose with are their frozen/canned/dried staples, like I would absolutely get crates of beans or big ol bags of frozen broccoli etc from them at a bulk discount but they have to go with the froufrou organic stuff that's more likely to get recalled for health concerns at 2-3x the cost so it's always cheaper to just buy non organic stuff anywhere else and significantly cheaper if you catch a sale and stock up.