Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

achillesforever6 posted:

Co-workers are like that too, they handwave all his bullshit with "BUT SPACE-X", helps they hate unions and love STEM

it's doubly infuriating when you're in a major in which climate change is a major goddamn deal and then you got your peers talking about how teslas will replace all internal-combustion engine cars (literally impossible) or how we can live on mars to escape climate disaster (an order of magnitude harder than just dealing with the fuckin problems here).

Bakeneko posted:

One minute into the video and I, a total amateur in the field of engineering, was asking; “How can it be so fast if it relies on cars being put on an elevator one at a time? Aren’t elevators of that size really, really slow?”

For a while I wondered whether this was a mistake on my part but no, Musk really had missed that incredibly obvious point along with all the other reasons his design wouldn’t work. The guy must be nuts.

elon musk is a colossal loving idiot and every idea he's ever had is bullshit. the only reason spacex has done a goddamn thing is because of the engineers there who actually know what the gently caress they're doing, and by the way they are paid like poo poo compared to engineers elsewhere in aerospace and spacex has a ridiculous turnover rate.

he also got his money from his white apartheid-era south african parents, so, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

DoubleCakes posted:

So Hbomberguy's stream was 57 hours.
So MauLer's response is going to be how long?

Wow I thought you were just joking but I went to watch the Jack Saint/Eric Taxxon video and he's really doing a livestream response right now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

elon musk blocked me when i said using his money to elect progressive politcians would do a lot more to combat climate change than electrical cars or hyperloops. this was right after it came out he had given money to the gop.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Elon musk is a supremely idiotic man. Anyway, where's shaun.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Groovelord Neato posted:

elon musk blocked me when i said using his money to elect progressive politcians would do a lot more to combat climate change than electrical cars or hyperloops. this was right after it came out he had given money to the gop.

That sounds like a rather big conflict of interest right there, considering the GOP's man in the White House recently made a global warming joke on Twitter.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

good, I’m glad of it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spark That Bled posted:

That sounds like a rather big conflict of interest right there, considering the GOP's man in the White House recently made a global warming joke on Twitter.

it's almost like he's lying and is just a chud

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh just some stuff from my tankie friend who is retweeting and commenting with other tankies how while Hbomber is doing good work, it's not internationalism and also Hbomber used to say reactionary things about dealing with North Korea and how Venezuela isn't that great (but not in the lovely ways CHUDs go on why Venezuela is bad)
https://twitter.com/CYBERSTALIN/status/1087350616500912128?s=19

Tankie's sure like to be a damper at anything good and the worst of all they love being "I told you so" jagoffs

LOL

Gonna be taking @CYBERSTALIN very seriously. :nallears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

to be fair, those tweets have spun out of response to a really dumb tweet that misuses very specific political terminology.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spark That Bled posted:

yeah that's why i said it and why he blocked me. the gop is the only major political party on earth that denies climate change i think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/28877.aspx?SearchType=Advance&ReferenceNumbers=S5M-15504&ResultsPerPage=10

lol Harris is now legally King of Gamers

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

All Hail to the New King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjY8HvpNu6o

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Why's this Harry Brewis guy getting all the credit, everyone knows it was Hareton Splimby who did all that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think I’m going to try watching the prequels with an open mind now. Cheers, hbomb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He likes Prometheus, watch that instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Don’t watch movies based on the opinions of someone for completely unrelated events. That’s just asking to waste your time for no real reason.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh just some stuff from my tankie friend who is retweeting and commenting with other tankies how while Hbomber is doing good work, it's not internationalism and also Hbomber used to say reactionary things about dealing with North Korea and

FYI that particular fellow did live as an illegal immigrant in the US and did have to also handle UK's weird as hell immigration laws and services (So in another words had to handle both ICE and Yarl's Wood), so when both Corbyn's occasional foray into immigration law (Aside from all of the Corbyn jokes on the streams and content) and AOC's backing of the DHS -> ICE funds came in, it stung him particularly hard and it's not hard to be seen as the western left kind of looking the other way when transfolk from the global south are hit by policies that said left favourites had a hand in. I usually try to steer away from commenting on this stuff (And This isn't me throwing thorns at either Hbomb or Ocasio), but there's some context that isn't just sheer pettyness or a weird demand for the Donkey Kong stream to eliminate the Bolsonaro Regime out of his country.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kunster posted:

FYI that particular fellow did live as an illegal immigrant in the US and did have to also handle UK's weird as hell immigration laws and services (So in another words had to handle both ICE and Yarl's Wood), so when both Corbyn's occasional foray into immigration law (Aside from all of the Corbyn jokes on the streams and content) and AOC's backing of the DHS -> ICE funds came in, it stung him particularly hard and it's not hard to be seen as the western left kind of looking the other way when transfolk from the global south are hit by policies that said left favourites had a hand in. I usually try to steer away from commenting on this stuff (And This isn't me throwing thorns at either Hbomb or Ocasio), but there's some context that isn't just sheer pettyness or a weird demand for the Donkey Kong stream to eliminate the Bolsonaro Regime out of his country.

HBomb also had a transperson from Brazil discussing the issues they face there. :shrug:

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

People that still like :cadfan: are gonna be upset.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kunster posted:

Yeah, I saw that too from some people I follow on twitter. That vote stung a lot of people, I think.

Edit: And it was a bad vote, let's not think or rationalize otherwise.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 22, 2019

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

HBomb also had a transperson from Brazil discussing the issues they face there. :shrug:

Like I said, I wasn't attacking either person here, I was just giving context given that the poster didn't watch the stream other than a few highlights and twitter reactions.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

more then wow factor of all these famous people dropping in, the space given for all these various trans-identified people to talk a little about themselves was one of the best things of the stream

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Never thought we would learn HBomb's full (or at least last) name.

'Harry Brewis'

It's always weird when I learn the name of someone who goes by a moniker or screen-name.

hopeandjoy posted:

Vic being a homophobic child predator has long been an open secret in the English speaking anime fandom. I remember reading warnings about him on LiveJournal a decade ago.

There’s a reason why when he was cast as Rin in Free that older fans were very upset. Heck, I wasn’t even a fan of Free and I was very upset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5rcjgLNN1M&t=703s

Now that skit either makes more sense in context, or is a lot more appropriate with the matter being brought to light.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Man I remember when hbomberguy was just some dude who would show up in Pork Lift's lp's occasionally, dude's come a long way since then. :unsmith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He did good. There’s a really good comparison here in how a dude like hbomb just did an ad hoc thing that helped tons of people and caused tons of positive celebration, while somebody like sargon just complains into a webcam and encourages his neets to harass people.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Never thought we would learn HBomb's full (or at least last) name.

'Harry Brewis'

It's always weird when I learn the name of someone who goes by a moniker or screen-name.

It's been public information for a long time if you care to find it, he's credited by his real name on a site he used to contribute to. They wouldn't have put it in the bill if it wasn't, parliaments have to take GDPR seriously.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Man I remember when hbomberguy was just some dude who would show up in Pork Lift's lp's occasionally, dude's come a long way since then. :unsmith:

"Holy crap, Lois, remember when HBomb was a guest commentator on that Family Guy LP" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UytjCkc7NA, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeFYGVfku4

Those were better times.

Dabir posted:

It's been public information for a long time if you care to find it, he's credited by his real name on a site he used to contribute to. They wouldn't have put it in the bill if it wasn't, parliaments have to take GDPR seriously.

I didn't know about that, probably because I never thought to seek his full name. I just figured the most we were ever going to get was 'Harris Bomberguy.'

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah that's why i said it and why he blocked me. the gop is the only major political party on earth that denies climate change i think.

Very late, but- the currently elected Aus government is the same. Former PM Tones actually called it a UN conspiracy once

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Skippy McPants posted:

I guess I find it weird that in 2018 the Con scene is still so underreported, undermanaged, and underregulated.
So many conventions just happened by happy accident, or the sheer force of will of a few nerdy people; I know some which literally were college anime clubs that decided to run a weekend event and 20+ years later it's the same people still running the con. Often those people aren't up for dealing with problems head on and won't get rid of problem people. That and combined with the old school sci-fi con attitude that bordered on swingers club if you knew the right people and you get organizations who will let stuff slide until it's way past appropriate.

I think my favorite anecdote that illustrates this is in the local sci-fi con scene - there's a guy with an unabashed foot fetish who would photograph girls' feet, any age, and post them online, especially with lots of sci-fi and fantasy costumes having minimal to no footwear. Instead of banning him for being a creep, they added a rule to require people to wear shoes, because he's "old guard" and they wouldn't want to start drama by banning one of them.

As much as the megacorporation conventions kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth they'll at least have enough understanding to cover their rear end and drop the hammer on people.

Yardbomb posted:

Ehhh, just on this point I disagree a bit any time it comes up in Deadly Premonition talk, because really the game very much portrays Thomas as a victim too, getting a really sympathetic ending unlike the other antagonists, even being included in the lineup of Goddesses of the Forest, which was a very thoughtful inclusion that would've been very easy to not have. That's always convinced me that Swery's been a good guy all along.
I won't disagree with you there; While writing the post I had included the caveat that I thought Swery's heart was probably in right place on DP. I remembered the painting bit but I haven't played for such a long time so I couldn't recall enough nuance to be sure. After thinking for a second I lost that line before posting. I might go back and watch the cutscenes again sometime with a different set of eyes now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Paingod556 posted:

Very late, but- the currently elected Aus government is the same. Former PM Tones actually called it a UN conspiracy once

Yeah the governing conservatives (known as the Liberals) have been having a decade long internal shitfight about whether climate change is real and have twice replaced their leader because he kept trying to do something about it.

It was the same leader both times. The first time he genuinely tried to do something, the second time he tried to to the minimum possible and still got booted.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

stillvisions posted:

So many conventions just happened by happy accident, or the sheer force of will of a few nerdy people; I know some which literally were college anime clubs that decided to run a weekend event and 20+ years later it's the same people still running the con. Often those people aren't up for dealing with problems head on and won't get rid of problem people. That and combined with the old school sci-fi con attitude that bordered on swingers club if you knew the right people and you get organizations who will let stuff slide until it's way past appropriate.

I think my favorite anecdote that illustrates this is in the local sci-fi con scene - there's a guy with an unabashed foot fetish who would photograph girls' feet, any age, and post them online, especially with lots of sci-fi and fantasy costumes having minimal to no footwear. Instead of banning him for being a creep, they added a rule to require people to wear shoes, because he's "old guard" and they wouldn't want to start drama by banning one of them.

As much as the megacorporation conventions kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth they'll at least have enough understanding to cover their rear end and drop the hammer on people.

I get that sentiment. Like, fighting for net neutrality is a hassle, but I'm just barely old enough to remember Usenet and a return to that unfettered wasteland is not what I wish to see.

I'm just kinda surprised that so many ad hoc Cons continue to exist considering how often they seem to have conditions that're apt for abuse and exploitation. But I guess there's always going to be fringe cultural groups full of vulnerable or marginalized people to which predators will flock.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 22, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m really into Pop Arena lately. He does videos reviewing and giving impressions on various things, such as books and TV shows requested by viewers as well as monthly Goosebumps reviews. However, the thing that got me into his stuff and what really put him “on the map” as it were was Nick Knacks.

Nick Knacks - A Nickelodeon Retrospective is a show-by-show history of the Nickelodeon channel. Each episode (acter an introduction and an origin story episode) focuses on a particular show that was broadcast on Nickelodeon, starting from Pinwheel and going in chronological order. Each episode is extremely well-researched and presented in such a way that even the most forgotten series becomes an interesting bit of history. The series has examined the life of puppeteer Brad Williams, the myth of BET originating on Nickelodeon, and the unsettling frequency with which You Can’t Do That on Television creator Roger Price would put young boys in dresses. It’s an excellent series. Even if you’ve never seen a Nickelodeon show in your life, I highly recommend it.

Watching Nick Knacks led me to check out some of Pop Arena’s other stuff. My favorite series of his (other than Nick Knacks) is A Look at Reboot. Prior to this series, I had only ever heard Reboot referenced for its extremely dated CGI aesthetic. However, Pop Arena watched the show as a child, and has a genuine appreciation for it. Apparently it is notable for the way it gradually transitions from a goofy show where everything goes back to the status quo at the end of each episode to a dark and serious show with character development. Unfortunately, this series is incomplete. It only covers a select few episodes from season 1 of Reboot, and one of the episodes was hosted on a video host which no longer exists. I hope he continues it someday.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 22, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they post in the thread sometimes so effectively you just guilt tripped them into it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ariong posted:

Watching Nick Knacks led me to check out some of Pop Arena’s other stuff. My favorite series of his (other than Nick Knacks) is A Look at Reboot. Prior to this series, I had only ever heard Reboot referenced for its extremely dated CGI aesthetic. However, Pop Arena watched the show as a child, and has a genuine appreciation for it. Apparently it is notable for the way it gradually transitions from a goofy show where everything goes back to the status quo at the end of each episode to a dark and serious show with character development. Unfortunately, this series is incomplete. It only covers a select few episodes from season 1 of Reboot, and one of the episodes was hosted on a video host which no longer exists. I hope he continues it someday.

My favorite thing to ever read about was how hard Reboot got hit by ABC's Standards and Practices bat. Dot can't look like she has TWO breasts! Dot can't kiss Enzo on the cheek, that promotes incest! Hockey is a slur, you can't say that! Also they once rejected an entire script, the studio sent it back with no changes, and then it was approved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite thing to ever read about was how hard Reboot got hit by ABC's Standards and Practices bat. Dot can't look like she has TWO breasts! Dot can't kiss Enzo on the cheek, that promotes incest! Hockey is a slur, you can't say that! Also they once rejected an entire script, the studio sent it back with no changes, and then it was approved.

They despised the ABC for the first two seasons and weren't subtle about slamming them in the show any chance they could. The first episode of season 3 can also be summed up as "We're free! Look what we can get away with now! :unsmigghh:"

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just caught up with all the crazy coolness that happened this weekend and I just wanted to reiterate that H Bomberman is real loving awesome

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

they post in the thread sometimes so effectively you just guilt tripped them into it.

Ah, I had no idea! Well, that certainly wasn’t my intention. Just wanted to put a spotlight on a lesser-known part of the channel that I enjoy.

Will the VODs of the HBomberguy charity stream be rehosted on youtube at some point? I’d like to check it out but I’d rather do it there.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Ariong posted:

Will the VODs of the HBomberguy charity stream be rehosted on youtube at some point? I’d like to check it out but I’d rather do it there.

I'll put them up on my stream channel asap! Thanks

also thanks for helping me discover I'm blocked on twitter by someone named 'cyber stalin'. It's an honour. Can I also be blocked by digital pol pot and mechanical thatcher

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 22, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hbomberguy posted:

mechanical thatcher
Don't give May ideas for her next Brexit plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

mechanical thatcher
finally a solution for the housing crisis