Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

I don’t like how the texture starts getting after 4. Learned that early and avoided it since. (Talking steaks and stuff...)
But a thicker cut definitely should go well more than an hour. Usually at least 2, minimum.

Yeah, mostly agree. Anything thicker than about 4cm and I start adding time from my baseline of 1hr plus warm-to-temp time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Subjunctive posted:

I think you may be an outlier here.

I probably should specify that I'm mostly cooking strip steaks and often meat that I get fairly cheaply at holidays so they may start a little tougher than normal. Also, I aim for 4 hours, but wouldn't go much over that. I still may be the outlier though.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I probably should specify that I'm mostly cooking strip steaks and often meat that I get fairly cheaply at holidays so they may start a little tougher than normal. Also, I aim for 4 hours, but wouldn't go much over that. I still may be the outlier though.

Cooking lean cuts like strip or tenderloin for longer periods does not make them more tender. :eng99:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jan posted:

Cooking lean cuts like strip or tenderloin for longer periods does not make them more tender. :eng99:
Thank you!

I haven't had good luck with sous vide on lean cuts, they usually do better just getting grilled/seared traditionally, IMO. And probably being one step more done than usual. The make or break with them is in the knife work. Cutting thin-ish strips across the grain with a sharp knife on every piece makes a big difference.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LorneReams posted:

I did a whole turkey for Thanksgiving (put the whole turkey in a bag, 24 hours), and I will never not do it that way again. Was like the easiest thing.

Butcher your turkey and cook white and dark at different temps.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Just do the Serious Eats Turchetta.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Homemade miso with 16hr SV pork belly. Bean sprouts, green onion, nori, soft egg, red pepper.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Dewgy posted:

What temp and time have you done? 155 for a few hours has been my chicken sweet spot, anything lower and it comes out tasting underdone.

IIRC that is pretty much what I went with. Thigh meat is a bit different than breast and while it was cooked enough it was rubbery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jan posted:

Yeah, that’s my understanding too. It’s not clear to me what reaction people think happens that would result in the muscle softening.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that’s my understanding too. It’s not clear to me what reaction people think happens that would result in the muscle softening.

No idea what the process involved is, but I definitely prefer a NY strip cooked for 4 hours over one cooked for less than 2 hours.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Strips definitely benefit from getting a bit hotter to soften the fat more, but extra time won't make the muscle tissue itself much more tender.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t the proteins continue to denature with an extended cook? I mean I don’t do it because I don’t want/need my steaks more tender, but I would think that even lean cuts would continue to soften with longer cooks.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I thought the whole point of longer cooks was to gelatinize the connective tissue? Regarding fat, I've also gotten into the habit of holding the torch over fatty areas a bit longer during the sear, and it works well

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Sentient Data posted:

I thought the whole point of longer cooks was to gelatinize the connective tissue? Regarding fat, I've also gotten into the habit of holding the torch over fatty areas a bit longer during the sear, and it works well

Yeah, that's exactly the reason for longer cook times. These tender cuts don't have much of a collagen matrix in the muscle, though, so there isn't much collagen to hydrolize into gelatin.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Don’t the proteins continue to denature with an extended cook? I mean I don’t do it because I don’t want/need my steaks more tender, but I would think that even lean cuts would continue to soften with longer cooks.

I dunno about denature, but longer cooks do affect a steak for sure, even if they're lean. From Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html)

I can see how a change in texture like that would make someone call it more tender.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Haven't busted out the circulator in a while, but I've got a hunk o chuck roast swimming now. Can't wait for that bad boy to finish up and eat like a prime rib roast, 24 hour cook at 134.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think it's time.. to buy a sous vide unit.

I've been put off for a while by the way some of my friends talk about it, the same way they might talk about carbon fibre bike tubes or £20 old fashions served in copper mugs, but it seems like a solid way to achieve the sort of "set it and forget it" cooking that I currently do in an unhealthy way by shoving frozen birdseye whatevers into the oven for 20 minutes, but instead with fresh meats and fishes and potatoes or whatever.

The current frontrunner on Amazon seems to be the Joule, though I'm saddened by the lack of physical display, but whatcha gonna do these days.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Get an Anova.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I have a joule and it is pretty slick

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

esperantinc posted:

I dunno about denature, but longer cooks do affect a steak for sure, even if they're lean. From Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html)

I can see how a change in texture like that would make someone call it more tender.

It does make it more tender, at 4 hours you really don't notice anything other than the tenderness (at least on a cheaper steak i.e. a select sirloin). A nice filet it might seem too tender though.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

sterster posted:

Homemade miso with 16hr SV pork belly. Bean sprouts, green onion, nori, soft egg, red pepper.

Could you post the recipe for the pork belly? Thanks

Development
Jun 2, 2016

esperantinc posted:

longer cooks definitely have effects, but you really need to consider the cut of meat, which species it is from and if it is aged or not. some meats will get really stringy and some will become tender but no longer juicy.

ex:

quote:

For beef, the longissimus muscle tenderised less than tougher muscles (semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris and/or rectus femoris) after 4 h of holding at 60 °C, as measured by sensory panels and Warner-Bratzler shear force (Dinardo et al., 1984; Laakkonen, Wellington, & Sherbon, 1970; Machlik & Draudt, 1963). Increasing the holding time from 5 to 17h did not change the shear force values of semitendinosus from slaughter pigs at any temperature between 48 °C and 63 °C, whereas longissimus tenderised in treatments at 58 °C and 63 °C with extended holding.

this is from an excellent review on low temperature long term cooking published in j. meatsci that discusses eating quality (tenderness, juiciness, colour and flavour), physical and chemical changes (structural changes, proteins etc) . If you don't have access and want to read it, PM me and I can help you out.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Symetrique posted:

Could you post the recipe for the pork belly? Thanks
Here ya go. It's from the Sous Vide at home cook book. Which I highly recommend if you're looking for something like that.
https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548197690&sr=8-3&keywords=sous+vide+at+home

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Began some 72 hour short ribs last evening. A short while ago I checked on it and the Joule was in standby mode, and my 144F puddle was down to 122F. The app simply said that it encountered an "error". The gently caress.

If something happens to cause a cook to suddenly abort, shouldn't there be a phone alert of some kind, beyond manually looking at the app itself?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 23, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

LIf something happens to cause a cook to suddenly abort, shouldn't there be a phone alert of some kind, beyond manually looking at the app itself?

I’m not sure if iOS lets you trigger an alert over BT (assuming you were in range when it happens), but the Joule can’t AFAIK talk to the internet by itself to trigger a push notification.

I assume the situation is similar on Android.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not sure if iOS lets you trigger an alert over BT (assuming you were in range when it happens), but the Joule can’t AFAIK talk to the internet by itself to trigger a push notification.

I assume the situation is similar on Android.
My Fitbit connects to my phone via bluetooth and can trigger a low battery alert (on Android) fwiw.

It was probably a low water level from evaporation, it's just about the only thing I can think of that would put a circulator into standby. Just make sure it's always topped off? That's a hard problem to solve.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Infinite Karma posted:

Just make sure it's always topped off? That's a hard problem to solve.

Just Saran Wrap the top and it’ll be fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So I did buy a Joule in the end on account of it being fully sealed and the competitors having some reliability issues, but I’ve since realised just how IoT shite it is.

I don’t terribly mind a thing that needs an app, but one that needs a logged in app and communicates entirely via proprietary ChefKnobs servers? It’s not paranoia if they’re actually out to get you[r data].

The benefit still outweighs the cost so I’m not going to send it back, but it’ll probably be a gift to a family member in due course.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Would it have helped if I had empty quoted this?

VERTiG0 posted:

Get an Anova.

Because that was already unironically all that needed to be said. :v:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm thinking of making a big mess of 72 hour short ribs for a party, more than I can cook at once. My draft plan is to cook in two batches, serve the second, and use the puddle to reheat the first batch. Am I missing a risk? Is there a better way to do it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the joule has a lot going for it but IoT only is a non-starter for me.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Dumb product supremacy!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm thinking of making a big mess of 72 hour short ribs for a party, more than I can cook at once. My draft plan is to cook in two batches, serve the second, and use the puddle to reheat the first batch. Am I missing a risk? Is there a better way to do it?

Cook and cool both of them in advance. Puddle or oven to reheat, depending on how you were doing them. Less timing to worry about with finishing one batch at the time another needs to be reheated.

Edit: I have also reheated mass quantities, even from frozen, in a big turkey fryer pot and outdoor burner. Left the meat in the bags, big honking pot of water, and came out great. I think the most I’ve done this way is maybe 40-50#, so enough for a good sized party.

Ultimate Mango fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 24, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jan posted:

Would it have helped if I had empty quoted this?

Because that was already unironically all that needed to be said. :v:

I'd already bought it by then, and the anova is one of the ones with reports of reliability issues due to the vents allowing water vapour straight onto the circuit boards.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Infinite Karma posted:

It was probably a low water level from evaporation, it's just about the only thing I can think of that would put a circulator into standby. Just make sure it's always topped off? That's a hard problem to solve.

Nope. It is a covered container with no water loss.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'd already bought it by then, and the anova is one of the ones with reports of reliability issues due to the vents allowing water vapour straight onto the circuit boards.

I guess but my Anova gets weekly (or more) use with no issues and it’s never hosed me over in the middle of a cook with standby.
Basically, I think you can find “trends” of bad reviews for any product if you look hard enough. I’m no expert but I get the impression the Anova is the more relied-upon.
*shrug*

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Jaded Burnout posted:

This only seems to be a problem with the earlier units and people using saran-wrap to cover every bit of their water bath vessel other than some tiny gaps around the unit itself.

Anova supremacy for overall simplicity and reliability! Death to everything IOT.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But without iot how could I upgrade to the Jule Premium subscription to unlock cook times longer than 12 hours?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

VERTiG0 posted:

This only seems to be a problem with the earlier units and people using saran-wrap to cover every bit of their water bath vessel other than some tiny gaps around the unit itself.

Anova supremacy for overall simplicity and reliability! Death to everything IOT.

I killed 2 anovas when I cooked at higher temps (above 165F.) Open container, nothing to control steam and they just got murdered. My latest has survived because I drilled a hole in a plastic lid that's exactly the size of the anova so it's impossible for steam to get out of the container anywhere near the thing.

That said anova gave me a discount on a new unit when my original died after 2 years from the impeller giving out and gave me 2 free units as the new ones died to steam so their customer service is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

uPen posted:

I killed 2 anovas when I cooked at higher temps (above 165F.) Open container, nothing to control steam and they just got murdered.

Weird. I did yogurt with my Anova and brought the milk up to 185 every time in an open container with no issues.