Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mayveena posted:

I'm all in on this game. Hopefully there's enough interest so there can be a separate thread.

Stick a post in here too if it turns out good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Wow he lost a lot of weight between games good for him

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
He doesn't even have the onion hat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mayveena posted:

I'm all in on this game. Hopefully there's enough interest so there can be a separate thread.

I'd say just go ahead and make the thread... it'll drop off naturally if there's not enough interest

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The Ottomans seem absurdly good. Can't wait to give them a go. I wasn't expecting the [spoilerunique governor at all, which is a cool surprise.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Midnightghoul posted:

Wow he lost a lot of weight between games good for him
They managed to take about eight inches of bloated code right off his waist

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's a really awesome way of encouraging a distinct playstyle. Reminds me of Endless X games, where the faction has a super specific gimmick that creates unique playthroughs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gort posted:

Dunno if this is old news or what, but Civ 5 lead designer Jon Shafer's At The Gates game is hitting steam in three days.

Apparently being released with v.bad AI according to Jon Shafer hisself.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

:negative:

Well that's that then I guess.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Ottoman empire? What was this, an empire based around putting your feet up?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
why else would suleiman be such a fat rear end?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bedurndurn posted:

It's live now, for better or worse.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Cynic Jester posted:

Link? Not to say I don't believe you as the review embargo is over and the three reviews I've read so far echo that, but I'm just interested in what else he may have said like he's going to fix it or something.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just read a couple of reviews. Seems the game is fairly okayish?

I like how it looks just like the strategic view of Civ 5/6.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Mayveena posted:

Link? Not to say I don't believe you as the review embargo is over and the three reviews I've read so far echo that, but I'm just interested in what else he may have said like he's going to fix it or something.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/241000/discussions/0/1744480966986474404/

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bedurndurn posted:

He admitted that he needs to work on the AI. This is already 1000% better customer service than Firaxis.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Guess I'll wait 5-7 weeks then!

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 23, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Guess I'll wait 5-7 weeks months for the AI then!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What's kind of sad is that he did all this work on the tool tips without doing any work at all on a real tutorial. So playing it is kind of like starting Lord of the Rings at Tom Bombadil's house...you kinda get where the story is going but not really.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Disappointing about At the Gates, was really excited for it, but I think I have enough 4X games with bad AI in my life already.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
First impressions: ATG seems like... a neat toy. It's very open about not being a competitive 4X experience. It seems like an economy management game first and foremost with 4X elements bolted on. I think it has promise (I suspect it may do what it does better than Endless Legend does, although I haven't gotten very far in) but a Civ killer it ain't.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Toy is a great way to describe At the Gates. I like it, but I don't know what to do with it.

I'm putting very much thought into so many different places, but the payoff is so minimal and so far down the road that i'm not seeing any return on that investment.

At the moment, it's good if you can go into it with a certain sim city type mentality. I could see myself in certain moods where At the Gates is exactly what I want to play. But overall, it needs to pick up the pacing if it wants to be one of my go to games.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The price for this DLC is so over the top, they're really trying to milk this mediocre game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah from time to time I get the urge to wander into this thread and just scream

40 BUX!!!!!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tahirovic posted:

The price for this DLC is so over the top, they're really trying to milk this mediocre game.

The xcom one was the same. I get that games are underpriced in reality but christ!

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
There are cheaper options
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/sidmeierscivilizationvigatheringstorm/info/

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Potentially dumb question, but does Gathering Storm include RIse and Fall? It seems like a lot of Civs rely on mechanics from Rise and Fall (governors, dark/golden ages, etc.) but it doesn't say that Gathering Storm includes or requires R&F. If it's essentially 2 expansion packs for $35-$40, that's a bit easier to swallow.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Potentially dumb question, but does Gathering Storm include RIse and Fall? It seems like a lot of Civs rely on mechanics from Rise and Fall (governors, dark/golden ages, etc.) but it doesn't say that Gathering Storm includes or requires R&F. If it's essentially 2 expansion packs for $35-$40, that's a bit easier to swallow.

You get all of the R&F mechanics, but none of the R&F civilizations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Expansion pack != DLC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That's never happened before and the Steam Store page does not include Rise and Fall. What I want to know is if my Season Pass includes it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cynic Jester posted:

Jon Shafer posted:

Post-Release Update Plan
AtG is almost ready to be released, but that doesn't mean there won't be bugs and it certainly won't be perfect in terms of pacing, balance, AI, etc. So the plan is to release patches over the next several months on a fairly regular schedule:

• 1.01 ... 0-2 weeks after release ... Stability

• 1.1 ... 4-6 weeks after release ... Balance

• 1.2 ... 8-12 weeks after release ... Strategy + Mod Support

• 1.3 ... 5-7 months after release ... AI + Diplomacy

This doesn't mean support for the game ends after this, but the above is already set-in-stone and I want you all to be in the loop with regards to the plan. It's also possible things will change a bit, but if and when this happens I'll be sure to post here and let you know.

- Jon

I don't think these two quotes are the same thing

You might be right, but I don't think "We'll patch the AI 6 months after release" is the same as "The AI at release will be very bad"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well according to multiple reviews the ai is basically non existent.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thanks, Ill get this a year or two from now when is dirty cheap and all patched up

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really can't tell if the AI is bad in At the Gates because it seems like it's not supposed to do much. You're not actually competing against it in the game.

Mayveena posted:

That's never happened before and the Steam Store page does not include Rise and Fall. What I want to know is if my Season Pass includes it.

R&F mechanics will all be included in GS, but you need to buy R&F if you want the civilizations from R&F.

Your season pass bought the first 6 DLCs; all of which are out already.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

The Human Crouton posted:

Your season pass bought the first 6 DLCs; all of which are out already.

:laffo:

Didn't this thread call out that this would happen really early on? That the "season pass" would end up just being all extra small maps, challenges, and single shot civilizations?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo:

Didn't this thread call out that this would happen really early on? That the "season pass" would end up just being all extra small maps, challenges, and single shot civilizations?

Because I bought my season pass on greenmangaming, I paid $1 over full price for the just the vanilla game for it so I thought I got good value.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

I really can't tell if the AI is bad in At the Gates because it seems like it's not supposed to do much. You're not actually competing against it in the game.

So perhaps a real AI will be an add on through patches? The reviews I've seen says it drags terribly at the end because there's nothing to do but form an army. I dunno, I'm very disappointed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Well according to multiple reviews the ai is basically non existent.

So a TBS game then

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

victrix posted:

So a TBS game then

Yup! I think I’ll just consider it a survival crafting game. That will be less disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

victrix posted:

So a TBS game then

Civ4 had a functional AI, and really that all I want. Though I guess you can't really have a good AI if your game systems are trash.