Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

Speaking of Netflix, they’re bringing back Unsolved Mysteries.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/01/18/rejoice-netflix-is-bringing-back-unsolved-mysteries

BIGFOOT ENCOUNTER REINACTMENTS IMMINENT

This is genuinely good news.

I owe a lot of my love of horror, fascinations with cryptids, and curiosity with life and acceptance of it's cruelty from growing up watching Unsolved Mysteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

This is genuinely good news.

I owe a lot of my love of horror, fascinations with cryptids, and curiosity with life and acceptance of it's cruelty from growing up watching Unsolved Mysteries

It’s a weird show in that you’ll get pretty depressing missing persons stories followed by “did Glenda really see a pterodactyl??” stories.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I remember seeing an episode where a woman was poisoning her boyfriend/husband by putting industrial insecticide in his protein shake, and after taking a drink he was like, “ugh - tastes weird.” To which she replies, “oh, that must just be the amino acids.” So he drank the whole thing and ended up in the hospital.

I think about that a lot.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bluedeanie posted:

Shaun and Hot Fuzz own. World's End does not own, however.

I have not worked out the dates, but the possibility that the movie served as an elaborate intervention by Wright for his Alcoholic buddy Pegg intrigues me.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Biomute posted:

I have not worked out the dates, but the possibility that the movie served as an elaborate intervention by Wright for his Alcoholic buddy Pegg intrigues me.

That is a potentially nice little piece of trivia but doesnt make the film any less mediocre to watch as an end product.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

That is a potentially nice little piece of trivia but doesnt make the film any less mediocre to watch as an end product.

It has some of the best fight choreography for 2013, if not the decade, for a Western film

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Fart City posted:

Speaking of Netflix, they’re bringing back Unsolved Mysteries.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/01/18/rejoice-netflix-is-bringing-back-unsolved-mysteries

BIGFOOT ENCOUNTER REINACTMENTS IMMINENT

If you ever wanna see a movie that’s like a big foot documentary, except they actually run into Bigfoot, Sasquatch is a lot of fun provided you have some allowance for it being a low budget 70s flick. Imo holds up much better than Boggy Creek

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the movie where a big pane of glass vibrates and then explodes, absolutely eviscerating a woman

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Biomute posted:

World's End is a far better script than a movie. There's a maze of references in it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lurdiak posted:

Not to defend a corporate entity, but I don't think Netflix is cutting that stuff cuz they want to. All the rights holders want a piece of that streaming pie now that Netflix proved how profitable it can be.

That does make sense, but equally Netflix cutting the catalog and going more original content that I'm not interested in is what made me drop my subscription after having it for years.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

That does make sense, but equally Netflix cutting the catalog and going more original content that I'm not interested in is what made me drop my subscription after having it for years.

It owns because by having to check and subscribe to 200 streaming services they've just renewed the appeal of piracy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

It owns because by having to check and subscribe to 200 streaming services they've just renewed the appeal of piracy

Yar and a yo ho ho

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M_Sinistrari posted:

Compared to how Netflix has been, I'd say Shudder's still knocking it out of the park. While they're dipping into the original material/exclusives waters, they're still not sacrificing what has built them up so far. Netflix on the other hand's been cutting their movies catalog and going heavy on the original programming which might not appeal to everyone.

I mean, there's still good stuff, but I remember getting emails from Shudder about neat films being added and recently they've been original series which I never watch because it's just too much of a time sink to watch all the series I want to get to that pop up all of the time on streaming services, then there's the weird poo poo like Ong-Bak, Big Man Japan, Exiled, and one of the more recent actual horror films being Resident Evil so it's been a wet fart for me I guess.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Unsolved Mysteries is a loving poo poo show and is Garbage. Netflix bringing it back is loving dumb.

Unsolved Mysteries sucks and I'll never not stop hating it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Unsolved Mysteries is a loving poo poo show and is Garbage. Netflix bringing it back is loving dumb.

I want the first episode to cover the mystery of what stole your sense of wonder.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

TIL Hollis is the ghost of Jack Palance and the Ripley’s/Mysteries beef continues

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

What's the movie where a big pane of glass vibrates and then explodes, absolutely eviscerating a woman

I think I saw it in best of the worst

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The only thing that comes to mind to me is the skylight kill from Cult Of Chucky, but I don’t remember any vibrating being involved. Can you recall any other details?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's more like a one way mirror looking thing. Nothing visibly external breaks the mirror, and the effect is a cheap looking puppet getting its top half blown off

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pomp posted:

It's more like a one way mirror looking thing. Nothing visibly external breaks the mirror, and the effect is a cheap looking puppet getting its top half blown off

That sounds really good. I love eviscerated cheap puppets.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It owned like hell and I can't remember a single other thing

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue6hnDEnZkc

How did I forget everything else about death spa

Pomp fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 22, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Death Spa might beat out Troll 2 as my Desert Island B-Movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Off today, so gonna burn through all the Elm Street sequels. Kinda in the mood for them, starting with 2. Which rules except for the lame opening titles FREDDY’s REVENGE done up like the loving Terminator lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not gonna do a live post, but Jesse is a pretty drat interesting horror protagonist. His first scene sorta tells you everything you need to know about him.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
World’s End owns. Nightmare 2 owns.

Pomp posted:

Spider-Man 2?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My only real memory of Unsolved Mysteries is when Robert Stack was in BASEketball playing himself. That was pretty funny :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

My only real memory of Unsolved Mysteries is when Robert Stack was in BASEketball playing himself. That was pretty funny :shrug:

Here's an example of Unsolved Mysteries and why I hate the show

Robert Stack
" Darla reported her husband missing on Oct 22nd , 1977 . His clothes had mysteriously disappeared , and 4000 dollars was gone from their checking account. She reported strange lights above the house the night before. The neighbors also reported seeing these lights "

UFO Expert " Yea there was definitely UFO Activity"

Husbandwho left Darla " Yeah, I left and took all my clothes and the money"

Robert Stack "We'll never know what happened to Darlas husband , was he murdered? , Part of some satanic sex cult ? Was he kidnapped by aliens? THe case still remains unsolved"

THATS THE WHOLE loving SHOW

"What happened? WE don't know , maybe UFOS? Or BIGFOOT!"

Its like being told a story then half way through your friend just gets up and leaves the room and you never hear from them again.

Or my favorite is

Robert Stack " Cheryls daughter went missing 1951 at the state park, police found 3 of her limbs in a dumpster nearby"

Mother of Obviously Dead Child " I still think she is alive, she could be out there needing my help. I'll never stop looking"

Forensic Medical Expert " Its possible that her daughter lost 3 of her 4 limbs , then crawled into the woods and was raised by wolves"

Robert Stack" We'll never know what happened to Cheryl's daughter on that night. Later a serial killer did confess to her murder and her head was found in his freezer, but she could still be out there. Looking for help"

Its loving bullshit. I hate that loving show.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 23, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Another good one was a guy's son died while night swimming but the father insists the SCA murdered him in an occult ritual and is still searching for the truth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also its not a Unsolved Mystery when its like " Oh yeah this is the dude who did it you seen him?" .

I just really hate that loving show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Also its not a Unsolved Mystery when its like " Oh yeah this is the dude who did it you seen him?" .

They would do segments on wanted fugitives, which as a kid were probably the scariest because you get Stack describing the crimes with that voice and of course it just ends with the guy is still out there...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
unsolved mysteries is inferior in every way to Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know I was into Unsolved Mysteries as a kid but I also am pretty sure it was solely for the weekly UFO abduction segment and the occasional haunted house one. And I've been way over that whole alien thing ever since girls stopped being icky.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I just really hate that loving show.

This is what makes it good. There are multiple episodes where people who ran away from their families fake having amnesia after the show finds them, and everyone just does a very awkward dance around the truth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I know I was into Unsolved Mysteries as a kid but I also am pretty sure it was solely for the weekly UFO abduction segment and the occasional haunted house one. And I've been way over that whole alien thing ever since girls stopped being icky.

Did girls stop being icky

Or did you just get MINDWASHED by the big foot alien extraterrestrials?

The case remains unsolved

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pomp posted:

Jonathan Frakes: "Is this incredible tale a genuine case of fact being stranger than fiction? Or are we pulling a fast one on you? If you guessed the latter, you're not going to believe it when I tell you now that it is indeed a true story.

...Because you'd be right. We made it up."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pomp posted:

Man, I never watched an actual episode of that show but I assume it must have played sometime around whatever time MST3K used to come on on the Sci-Fi Channel. Because I definitely remember the intro and Jonathan Frakes going "...it's beyond belief!".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That show was dumb as poo poo. Not at all like Unsolved Mysteries which was a serious show for serious people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I was a kid, I just wanted to find some proof of the paranormal because it would've been rad, so I watched those drat shows all the time. They ruled but also made me mad because they never found poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

lizardman posted:

Jonathan Frakes: "Is this incredible tale a genuine case of fact being stranger than fiction? Or are we pulling a fast one on you? If you guessed the latter, you're not going to believe it when I tell you now that it is indeed a true story.

...Because you'd be right. We made it up."

I appreciate that amongst its peers, who at least had the auspice of presenting things as possible, Beyond Belief was like, gently caress it. We got a ratings train to catch. You believe in mermaids? Come on board.

Anyway, they were all better than Rescue 911, because Jesus Christ seriously how many kids can I watch fall through a frozen lake before it loses its spark.