Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Got on a conference call this morning and the first thing I hear is "Just because he died last week doesn't mean stuff shouldn't get done. There were other people on his team."

This was about retiring 2 print servers.

gently caress eeeeeeeverything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Got on a conference call this morning and the first thing I hear is "Just because he died last week doesn't mean stuff shouldn't get done. There were other people on his team."

Jesus.

Jesus.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internet Explorer posted:

I guess it happens, but don't y'all have calendars?

I do, but I just wasn't thinking. I stayed up till like 4:30 AM watching TV and was up at 8 so I wasn't really in a good state of mind. I do like 95% project based work, so it's common for me to go a day or two without talking to anyone on my team as well. I went to IM a buddy and realized everyone was away and then it dawned on me.

That's just really hosed up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Time to gtfo

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

"our primary network engineer doesn't have access to the server room"

Because the guy who managed fingerprints retired...

4 years ago.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Man I was auto-piloting through some troubleshooting and defaulted the management interface I was using. No amount of experience can protect you from dumb poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Invariably, whenever I do dumb poo poo it's when someone is looking over my shoulder.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I spent 3 days troubleshooting SCCM when it was the PC that was the problem.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Invariably, whenever I do dumb poo poo it's when someone is looking over my shoulder.

I tend to forget how to type when someone's watching me type.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chunjee posted:

"our primary network engineer doesn't have access to the server room"

Because the guy who managed fingerprints retired...

4 years ago.

Go over the door via the drop ceiling

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I spent 3 days troubleshooting SCCM when it was the PC that was the problem.

Change that to "I spent a week on some SCCM issue because the service desk doesn't know how to troubleshoot" and you've described my career lately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ElGroucho posted:

Change that to "I spent a week on some SCCM issue because the service desk doesn't know how to troubleshoot" and you've described my career lately.

I am also the entire service desk.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I am also the entire service desk.

goondolences

If you're doing SCCM stuff, it's time to :yotj:, friend

That poo poo is not easy, and undervalued. One mistake and everyone eats poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

goondolences

If you're doing SCCM stuff, it's time to :yotj:, friend

That poo poo is not easy, and undervalued. One mistake and everyone eats poo poo.

We use 5% of it. It manages SCEP and we use it to image computers. That's it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

We use 5% of it. It manages SCEP and we use it to image computers. That's it.

Do what I do, use it to check who has Unreal Tournament installed and then make lan games

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Do what I do, use it to check who has Unreal Tournament installed and then make lan games

We use PDQ Inventory for all inventory needs. poo poo just works and it's simple.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
This is the last week of having my own desk. Monday starts our "agile" move where the new floor is oversubscribed 3:1. Existence is pain.

I feel bad for my boss. 12 years with the company, steller management record, largest and most efficient team. Loses his office and has to sit with the plebs.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
We've had a server that had some funky IP issues yesterday. One of the other tech's worked on it. My backup system still couldn't reach it. It's a remote office.

Do some remoting around shenanigans to get into it, run ipconfig/all, realize the subnet mask is set wrong, which would explain why it would be accessible from inside the remote office, but not up here. Open up the ipv4 properties and ... the subnet mask is right there?

At about that time I had the genius decision that disabling and re-enabling the interface would probably sync everything up. I realized my mistake the second I hit the disable button. It's been a long week already.

(Luckily it was a VM and I don't know why I wasn't just using vcenter to access it the whole time. Everything is fine and only you goons need to know my shame).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

We use PDQ Inventory for all inventory needs. poo poo just works and it's simple.

We have SCCM and PDQ side by side and for inventory purposes there is no contest which is better in every way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sepist posted:

This is the last week of having my own desk. Monday starts our "agile" move where the new floor is oversubscribed 3:1. Existence is pain.

I feel bad for my boss. 12 years with the company, steller management record, largest and most efficient team. Loses his office and has to sit with the plebs.

If I at the very least didn't have a dedicated desk I wouldn't work there. This is only a thing because people let it be a thing. Refuse to work for places who do this kind of garbage. Its being cheap in ways that often time doesn't save any money.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Sepist posted:

How does this even work? Like I get that you have to find a desk that's unused, but 3:1? Or are lots of the staff in and out of the office?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
They did it on the estimate that on any given day 66% of enterprise services is not in the office based on historical trends. When it gets filled... I have no idea.

We are converging 3 floors onto one but all the floors are the same square footage so I'm expecting a disaster on Monday

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, good luck with that

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Sepist I didn’t know you were @SwiftOnSecurity

https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1087831546986446849?s=21

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

^^^ Tweet deleted already, what was it?

Sepist posted:

Man I was auto-piloting through some troubleshooting and defaulted the management interface I was using. No amount of experience can protect you from dumb poo poo

siggy2021 posted:

(Luckily it was a VM and I don't know why I wasn't just using vcenter to access it the whole time. Everything is fine and only you goons need to know my shame).

Everyone knows this shame. "Probably some weird glitch, I'll just shut/no shut this interface and see if it clea-- Connection to important.host.lmao closed. SON OF A BITCH". Or firewall rules. Or sshd config. etc.

I am so glad my current job has solid OOB access to absolutely everything that's in a remote location :v:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yay for having a manager who actually follows through on my career goals.

I'm our primary JAMF admin and I do alot of stuff in SCCM but I want to move even more to the administration side and so I get to roll the next SCCM and clients update.

I know that sounds weird to be excited about but I want to be well rounded in both environments.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Yay for having a manager who actually follows through on my career goals.

I'm our primary JAMF admin and I do alot of stuff in SCCM but I want to move even more to the administration side and so I get to roll the next SCCM and clients update.

I know that sounds weird to be excited about but I want to be well rounded in both environments.

Oh man, this is going to be a fun post to quote in the future.

(Only joking, SCCM upgrades (can) go fine.)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Oh man, this is going to be a fun post to quote in the future.

(Only joking, SCCM upgrades (can) go fine.)

1810 doesn't look awful.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
WOW A LOT OF VERY HAPPY EMPLOYEES HAVE SURE DECIDED THAT THEY SUDDENLY NEEDED TO GIVE OUR COMPANY A FIVE STAR REVIEW OVER THE HOLIDAYS ON GLASSDOOR!!! LIKE... SOMETIMES FIFTEEN IN A SINGLE DAY!!!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

They did it on the estimate that on any given day 66% of enterprise services is not in the office based on historical trends. When it gets filled... I have no idea.

We are converging 3 floors onto one but all the floors are the same square footage so I'm expecting a disaster on Monday

I would just take that as a sign it's time to WFH

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

WOW A LOT OF VERY HAPPY EMPLOYEES HAVE SURE DECIDED THAT THEY SUDDENLY NEEDED TO GIVE OUR COMPANY A FIVE STAR REVIEW OVER THE HOLIDAYS ON GLASSDOOR!!! LIKE... SOMETIMES FIFTEEN IN A SINGLE DAY!!!

Probably because of that huge holiday bonus and bunch of free time off they gave you, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sepist posted:

Yeah, this is nothing but a cheapskate move.

Docjowles posted:

^^^ Tweet deleted already, what was it?
This, maybe?:
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1087832293266333696

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

skipdogg posted:

I would just take that as a sign it's time to WFH

The FTEs have lofty WFH privileges but as a consultant I'm limited to once per week unless I'm sick

What was the tweet?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Wait... did they just look at average, or did they look at peak?

Because if they just looked at average... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, after the initial application and follow-up questions I have a phone interview for a job doing ERP system stuff tomorrow, hopefully this pans out. It's a shorter commute (20-25 minutes rather than 35) in the direction back towards where I used to live, so if I get this job I have to decide if I want to keep living here or move again in June. Not counting my chickens before they hatch, but it's something I really have to think about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sepist posted:

The FTEs have lofty WFH privileges but as a consultant I'm limited to once per week unless I'm sick

What was the tweet?

Talk about second class citizen. This is why I never did contract work of any kind.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanatosian posted:

Probably because of that huge holiday bonus and bunch of free time off they gave you, right?

Thanatosian posted:

Nah. Some bonuses were tied to Glassdoor scores and they can’t get them to move up the old fashioned way by, you know, not sucking.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Nah. Some bonuses were tied to Glassdoor scores and they can’t get them to move up the old fashioned way by, you know, not sucking.

Holy gently caress, I want to email our board of directors. I need to figure out a way to make an anonymous suggestion.

My team is fantastic, my direct managers are amazing, but a lot of departments where I work are a shitshow, and senior management is a dumpster fire, which translates to a 1.9 star rating on Glassdoor (every area except senior management is 2.0-2.6). I would love to see C-level bonuses partially based on that.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
probably cheaper and easier to just pay off glassdoor, which is what any company with above a 3.5 has done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Previous goon in the well, assisted massively by those in this thread. I received lots of whipping about "Imposter syndrome" etc etc.

I started a new role early 2016 as a regular sysadmin, I wanted a step back to something far less stressful than what I had been doing. Three years later and I have now been placed in charge of an entire business unit and officially progressed to the executive leadership team. My technical career for the most part is...effectively over. Or so sayeth the CEO at any rate.

Apparently my biggest strength over the last two years was the bigger picture business planning and execution, work that was apparently hampered by my need to "keep my head in the grass despite having trained excellent staff capable of doing that work moving forward" and as such they want my entire focus to be on the business side.

I will be continuing to focus during my own time on my technical ability and growth as I always like having options but I must say, it has been an interesting ride. Not once in my entire life did I ever entertain nor attempt to reach this kind of position. It never even crossed my mind and I did nothing specific to pursue it, it has just kind of occurred.

Had I not exited my wild goon in the well ride, I would quite likely have just offered myself instead. So you know, thanks and what not. To other goons in the well who may still be fluffing around, pay attention to the advice. It can be hard to see but things do get better.