Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the ign dude on twitter was blocking people correcting him for his review too lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
yeah I didn't understand what the gently caress the Kotaku review was taking about either

Really odd perspective on the series

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

either the reviewer played in a complete stupor or they never even got that far and hosed up the research

Kibayasu posted:

Given a few reviews I’m thinking the big difference could be Mr X himself. So B may be less of a “complete story” situation like the original and more of a quasi challenge mode where things are a bit different to trip you up while you get chased everywhere but not so different as to make you check everything twice.

No one, almost certainly deliberately, has talked explicitly about when Mr X shows up and so that’s where I get my logic from.

this is my thought too, since Mr. X isn't mentioned as much but seems like he'd be a very dangerous obstacle. I'm kind of hoping there is something cool about the 2nd Scenario but I haven't really gotten much info about just how different it is.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Since they got the biggest complaint wrong will they be adjusting the score?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
A and B scenarios in the original weren't super different, Mr X notwithstanding.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

A and B scenarios in the original weren't super different, Mr X notwithstanding.

Mr. X was a lot.

More to the point, and again, without spoiling things, there was an interconnectivity to RE2 1998's scenarios that basically isn't there in RE2 2019.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

There were a few times where a character got killed off in the A side and you found them dead in B, and the Birkin fights were all different phases of his mutation too. Sounds like they pared back on that level of variation but kept the opening and ending differences as well as Mr. X.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alright, i preordered the digital deluxe edition just for the original soundtrack, when should I be able to play on xbonx? does it unlock at 9pm for the west coast or do i have to wait until midnight like some kind of animal?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
RE4 probably doesn’t need a remake, for a game that’s just had its 14th (holy poo poo) birthday, it holds up incredibly well. The graphics could probably use a little help but from what I remember the PS4 release looks pretty solid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rerelease the chainsaw controller

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Caidin posted:

Soooo, is the games intro gonna be substantially different with poo poo like Leon and that deputy's trying to talk down a zombie from the E3 reveal trailer?

PUT THE SEVERED ARM DOWN, SIR! and button your pants and shirt up please this is a police station

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

RE4 probably doesn’t need a remake, for a game that’s just had its 14th (holy poo poo) birthday, it holds up incredibly well. The graphics could probably use a little help but from what I remember the PS4 release looks pretty solid.

Yeah the most it could hope for is a REmake-style fresh coat of paint, but it's aged too well for that to pay off. Maybe in 2030 it'll be time for a remake that supports immersive VR and psychokinetic teledildonics or whatever is available by then.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

Sounds like she wishes she could go back to the 90s and play the original games for the first time again.

There's a video on the site where she talks about her thoughts on remakes and in general, this is basically how she feels. She even cops to it that's this weird personal hang-up she has about remakes. It's very puritan and from a game preservation point of view more than anything. I disagree with her quite a bit. My go-to example about remakes in media is the Maltese Falcon. The one everyone loves, remembers and considers one of the de-facto film noirs of all time was the 4th remake of that story.

Like I said, she cops to it being a personal thing and that's just the lens she views remakes through. The review is really quite bad, though. They need to invest in an editor who isn't also the writers' best friend.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jimbot posted:

My go-to example about remakes in media is the Maltese Falcon. The one everyone loves, remembers and considers one of the de-facto film noirs of all time was the 4th remake of that story.
How do you figure its the fourth? I thought the only previous ones were the 1931 version and the 1936 (IIRC) version.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Maybe they're counting the Dashiell Hammett novel?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm fine with game remakes in a way that I'm not with films and other things; I think there's a much stronger argument that newer technology makes it worth doing.

I don't have a problem with film remakes per se; the problem is that they rarely remake, like, a poorly-executed film with a great premise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dewgy posted:

There were a few times where a character got killed off in the A side and you found them dead in B, and the Birkin fights were all different phases of his mutation too. Sounds like they pared back on that level of variation but kept the opening and ending differences as well as Mr. X.

If I remember right, there were also things like items that you didn't grab, stuff you moved or unlocked and puzzles you half way solved being there for the next character but it's been a long time so maybe not..

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

If I remember right, there were also things like items that you didn't grab, stuff you moved or unlocked and puzzles you half way solved being there for the next character but it's been a long time so maybe not..

It wasn't for every item/etc. in the game but this is correct, and so if you wanted to experience everything you'd want to play through the game four times. It was real ahead of its time in that respect.

Coffee And Pie posted:

My dream RE4 "remake" would be to give it the same budget as the RE2 remake, but have the main game just be the exact same game but with higher res graphics and instead of changing the base game at all use all of those resources to just go completely ridiculous nuts with extra modes/challenges/unlockable things/options to tweak every aspect of the game's balance/and so on.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hopefully a mod where Mr. X fucks off forever kind of like the one for Alien: Isolation that lets you really look at stuff. Not for a first playthrough, maybe, but I'm stressed just thinking about. The parts in RE7 where Invincible Dad followed you around were more annoying than anything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

It wasn't a whole lot, during my recent A/B play I was expecting like, ammo and herbs to be missing, but it's just a specific pair of items towards the end of the game you can pick and choose, the machine gun and side pack. I don't remember any non-mandatory puzzles for either half though TBH.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

yeah I didn't understand what the gently caress the Kotaku review was taking about either

Really odd perspective on the series

Yeah, I don't get The 'it isn't scary now because your camera follows the character'

quote:

The early Resident Evils, including the first version of this game, had so-called “tank controls” that reduced characters’ mobility and enhanced the players’ terror. The new camera angle in the remake increases the agility and decreases the horror.

:what:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

It was always more annoying than scary that a zombie moving at half walking speed was threatening because your character pivoted like a broken wheelchair

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Can confirm. Weird auto-aim and spinning at 10RPMs convinced me to just cheat my way through.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

tank controls plus the 180 pivot you get in silent hill or re3 is sublime. not saying this out of nostalgia because i hated it as a chid lol

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s funny. One the one hand, REMake 2 makes me think that an over-the-shoulder Silent Hill game could work, but at the same time, I’m not convinced that being able to see things in a more direct and natural way would help that game’s atmosphere (a belief I don’t hold with regards to RE.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JBP posted:

It was always more annoying than scary that a zombie moving at half walking speed was threatening because your character pivoted like a broken wheelchair

Yeah that's why I could never get into the RE1 remake. For some reason, the controls ever bothered me at the time and I was pretty damned good at the game but going back was impossible for me. Also, if anything, the FP camera increases the scare factor and is more immersive.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

http://www.re4hd.com/

I just played through using this and it looks so good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah that's why I could never get into the RE1 remake. For some reason, the controls ever bothered me at the time and I was pretty damned good at the game but going back was impossible for me. Also, if anything, the FP camera increases the scare factor and is more immersive.

Yeah same, I don't get the idea that the isometric view is scary. The big spooky reveal shot in RE1 is a cinematic. You can do that to the player without having to cut away from the game these days.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress. RE7 was a Xbox Play Anywhere title, wonder if they'll do it for this too. I still need like 2k in parts for my new rig, and I have to play this poo poo on Friday. I've resigned to buying it on Xbox for now but it would be great if I could just own it for both with one purchase.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

codo27 posted:

gently caress. RE7 was a Xbox Play Anywhere title, wonder if they'll do it for this too. I still need like 2k in parts for my new rig, and I have to play this poo poo on Friday. I've resigned to buying it on Xbox for now but it would be great if I could just own it for both with one purchase.

Very unlikely since they haven't already announced it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Yeah same, I don't get the idea that the isometric view is scary. The big spooky reveal shot in RE1 is a cinematic. You can do that to the player without having to cut away from the game these days.

The fixed cinematic camera is definitely capable of things a behind-the-shoulder camera can't do. Take the classic dog jump scare from early in RE1: https://giant.gfycat.com/DirtyMassiveImperialeagle.webm

This works because the game has total control of the camera. When you enter the hallway the camera is pointed at your character, hiding the rest of the room and daring you to step forward to see what's there. When you do step forward, the camera repositions to show you the rest of the hallway, which is...empty. But at the end it turns to the left, and now the focus of your attention is on what's around the corner. So you move along the hallway to investigate...and a dog bursts out of the window directly in front of the camera.

:discourse:

What bothers me is when it's touted as the best or only way to deliver horror in a game. The now-traditional behind-the-shoulder camera has its own strengths, not least of which is that it puts you alongside your character, allowing you to relate to them more easily and empathize more directly with their sense of danger -- pretty useful tools for conveying horror, I'd think.

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s funny. One the one hand, REMake 2 makes me think that an over-the-shoulder Silent Hill game could work, but at the same time, I’m not convinced that being able to see things in a more direct and natural way would help that game’s atmosphere (a belief I don’t hold with regards to RE.)

It's a shame that the series took a nosedive after 3 and is now dead in the ground, but I think SH could retain its mood while still using a shoulder camera and other modern third-person control improvements. It isn't far off from the first-person camera that SH4 flirted with, and RE7 was a huge success at reviving old-school survival horror in first person. And let us never forget PT. Fog and darkness shrouding a cramped perspective that gives you a more limited view of enemies could totally work. It'd even make some thematic sense, given how the player character's psychology is often present in the enemies and environments.

RIP Silent Hills, ugh

acksplode fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 23, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Neo Rasa posted:

My dream RE4 "remake" would be to give it the same budget as the RE2 remake, but have the main game just be the exact same game but with higher res graphics and instead of changing the base game at all use all of those resources to just go completely ridiculous nuts with extra modes/challenges/unlockable things/options to tweak every aspect of the game's balance/and so on.

also more wrestling moves

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlestonJew posted:

also more wrestling moves

I really wouldn't mind seeing it get a bit of a graphics and lighting overhaul. RE4 still holds up pretty well in HD but it's a good enough game that it deserves the attention anyway.

e: But hell yeah do RE3Make first, it was pretty drat fun, and works with a lot of what they're going for in the new engine.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 23, 2019

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Imagine the RE4 village intro updated to take advantage of RE6’s combat mechanics :getin:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anonymous Robot posted:

Imagine the RE4 village intro updated to take advantage of RE6’s combat mechanics :getin:

Ganados should get the same damage model as RE2make but self-heal until dead, aww gently caress yiss. :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I've been dicking around with RE7 (only my second play through after sitting on it for 2 years) and just realized I have deluxe edition so I guess I never downloaded some extra poo poo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

acksplode posted:

It's a shame that the series took a nosedive after 3 and is now dead in the ground, but I think SH could retain its mood while still using a shoulder camera and other modern third-person control improvements. It isn't far off from the first-person camera that SH4 flirted with, and RE7 was a huge success at reviving old-school survival horror in first person. And let us never forget PT. Fog and darkness shrouding a cramped perspective that gives you a more limited view of enemies could totally work. It'd even make some thematic sense, given how the player character's psychology is often present in the enemies and environments.

I don't think you can overestimate how much heavy lifting the sound design does in any Silent Hill game. It's always been scarier than RE and it's mostly down to that, even in the original game when the graphics looked like a Monet painting.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That's a really good point. So much of its mood is in its sound, not necessarily its visuals. Tbh I think a viewpoint that gives you less of a god's-eye view of the action could only help.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

RE4 is by no means perfect and I have issues with some segments in it, but I don't think its aged to the point where a remake would improve it all that much. Unless it looked truly special then I don't think it would excite me in the way that REmake 2 has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My desires in an RE4 re-remaster are for Win10 stability and being able to shoot from the hip instead of only aim mode.

Other improvements welcome, but these are the baseline.