Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pikestaff posted:

:( my Live Bookmarks are gone and I've never felt more lost

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/livemarks/

Join us in DoS'ing the sync servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

For anyone who wants their RSS feed preview (not Live Bookmarks) back: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/feed-preview/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TalkLittle posted:

For anyone who wants their RSS feed preview (not Live Bookmarks) back: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/feed-preview/

I just want to point out that Livemarks does this same thing, so don't download both if you grab Livemarks!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

It's a great replacement for the native Live Bookmarks.

Got a question - how does one disable autoplaying media in Firefox 65? All I can find is stuff for older versions.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Have you tried this?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1238033

Set these to true:
media.autoplay.enabled.user-gestures-needed
media.autoplay.ask-permission

Then, go to Options > Privacy & Security.
Scroll down to Permissions.
You should now see a new permission: "Block websites from automatically playing media with sound".

Apparently there should also be some sort of notification that pops up when a site plays video with sound, but it didn't work for me. It is still an experimental feature being worked out which is why it is behind prefs.

EDIT: Oh, I just have to tell it to "Always Ask" in the Permissions menu. Don't know how I missed that.

But, I blocked all media with sound and it made autoplay videos mute, so that's good.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 17, 2018

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's a great replacement for the native Live Bookmarks.

Got a question - how does one disable autoplaying media in Firefox 65? All I can find is stuff for older versions.

media.autoplay.default

0=enabled
1=disabled
2=prompt

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sweet baby jesus I've been waiting for this.

My autoplay blocking addon is a bit hit and miss, hopefully this will work better. Perhaps on mobile too?

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 17, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Storm One posted:

media.autoplay.default

0=enabled
1=disabled
2=prompt

I tried this plus the post above yours - https://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/10/25/red-dead-redemption-2-review still autoplays for instance, but without sound. I'd like to have the old behaviour where we could block Flash objects from loading at all unless they were clicked.

Does Firefox prompt anyone for media playback on that page?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I tried this plus the post above yours - https://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/10/25/red-dead-redemption-2-review still autoplays for instance, but without sound. I'd like to have the old behaviour where we could block Flash objects from loading at all unless they were clicked.

Does Firefox prompt anyone for media playback on that page?

Yes, I get the same prompt as in my screenshot above. But I've also set media.autoplay.allow-muted to false, perhaps that will do the trick.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ola posted:

Yes, I get the same prompt as in my screenshot above. But I've also set media.autoplay.allow-muted to false, perhaps that will do the trick.

That's done the trick, cheers that goon!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Storm One posted:

media.autoplay.default

0=enabled
1=disabled
2=prompt

Goddamn how is prompt not the default function jesus christ.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did youtube playback turn shitter for anyone else after disabling autoplay? It seems to take longer to restart playing after pausing or skipping.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

jokes posted:

Goddamn how is prompt not the default function jesus christ.

Because the default is disabled, which is how it should be? If I want the video to play I can click it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
media.autoplay.enabled.user-gestures-needed defaults to true in the Nightly, so it is possible that they aren't confident enough with it to push it default yet. But for power users who are fine with a little bit of things breaking can enable that flag to turn on the auto-play blocking option pages.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I don't have the toggle to get the dark theme on YouTube in Firefox but it's there on Chrome. Also the theme doesn't persist across browsers. The Account menu looks different on both, with many more options on the Chrome one.

Is this just Google being Google?

Sent from my Pixel 3.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
For some reason they added the dark theme toggle on iOS but chose not to for Android. I have no idea why. :iiam:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

isndl posted:

For some reason they added the dark theme toggle on iOS but chose not to for Android. I have no idea why. :iiam:

Sorry, my last line was a joke. I meant on PC, Firefox won't show the dark theme (though it did til recently).

Dark theme is there on my Android YouTube app, under Settings>General.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sorry, my last line was a joke. I meant on PC, Firefox won't show the dark theme (though it did til recently).

Works for me on Firefox 65. I see the dark theme option. Your problem could literally be anything, either from Google doing UI experiments or them disabling features because your user-agent string isn't Chrome.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nalin posted:

Works for me on Firefox 65. I see the dark theme option. Your problem could literally be anything, either from Google doing UI experiments or them disabling features because your user-agent string isn't Chrome.

I'm having trouble disabling Content Blocking for YouTube via the Firefox UI, which might be the cause. Any idea how to add an exception?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Does anyone else have problems with google play music hitching momentarily? It just abruptly freezes for like half a second then continues like nothing happened. It seems to happen every fifth song or so, and I can't figure out why.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Does anyone else have problems with google play music hitching momentarily? It just abruptly freezes for like half a second then continues like nothing happened. It seems to happen every fifth song or so, and I can't figure out why.

Never experienced this. What version of FF? What extensions? Walk through the steps in the OP to help diagnose.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't think this has much to do with Firefox. The dropdown menu where you can select dark theme is just different sometimes. I have multiple accounts and I think being signed into multiple accounts triggers it after some spitefully random period of time, but I'm not sure. Logging out of all my accounts then logging back in restores the dropdown menu you want, at least for me.

The dark theme and the autoplay setting seem to share the same infuriatingly short-lived cookie. Every now and then I'll find myself back in the eye-searing white theme with autoplay on, and I hate it, but it's not specific to Firefox and still happens in Chrome too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Desuwa posted:

I don't think this has much to do with Firefox. The dropdown menu where you can select dark theme is just different sometimes. I have multiple accounts and I think being signed into multiple accounts triggers it after some spitefully random period of time, but I'm not sure. Logging out of all my accounts then logging back in restores the dropdown menu you want, at least for me.

The dark theme and the autoplay setting seem to share the same infuriatingly short-lived cookie. Every now and then I'll find myself back in the eye-searing white theme with autoplay on, and I hate it, but it's not specific to Firefox and still happens in Chrome too.

There's definitely something in my profile and/or extensions causing this. I tried it with a new profile side by side using -no-remote -p switches and the new profile has the same YouTube menus etc. as it does under Chrome and Vivaldi.

I don't even have to log in to YouTube for the Dark Theme to be available. I disabled uBlock Origin but I still can't see how to log an exception to Content Blocking in Firefox 65. I might just start with a new profile and gradually start installing extensions and changing settings until I notice where the problem emerges.

Behold:

Left is my current profile, right is a new default profile - you can see the differences in the menus visible.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 19, 2018

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008
Looks like you're still on the old layout. Does going through https://www.youtube.com/new fix it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dweller posted:

Looks like you're still on the old layout. Does going through https://www.youtube.com/new fix it?

Too late to try that now but thank you. Strange thing is, I did a Firefox Refresh and the issue remained, only deleting the profile entirely solved it.

I have now synced my current profile with all my settings and extensions and the new layout remains. I'm sure I tweaked something in about :config at some stage that messed things up but it's all sorted now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Does anyone have a clue why forcing a useragent override on Firefox for Android doesn't force "request desktop site" at all times anymore? It just doesn't seem to work that way anymore and I really hate mobile sites.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Does anyone have a clue why forcing a useragent override on Firefox for Android doesn't force "request desktop site" at all times anymore? It just doesn't seem to work that way anymore and I really hate mobile sites.

Are there particular sites this happens with?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are there particular sites this happens with?
It doesn't work with any site at all. It used to, before I had to factory reset my phone, but that also may be some FF updates ago by now.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Probably been mentioned before, but the h264ify addon makes youtube load wayyy faster for me. My Firefox no longer hangs for a second or two everytime on loading, hooray.

Spyde fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 20, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

It doesn't work with any site at all. It used to, before I had to factory reset my phone, but that also may be some FF updates ago by now.

Works for me on https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html for instance, does that work for you?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Works for me on https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html for instance, does that work for you?

No, I still get a different version of the site when I manually check the request desktop site box.

I've set general.useragent.override to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

That's all I changed in about config.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Flipperwaldt posted:

No, I still get a different version of the site when I manually check the request desktop site box.

I've set general.useragent.override to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

It could be websites using @media CSS rules to fit to your display size. Maybe the "request desktop site" box changes the values that the @media tag reads?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Have you tried it with cache and data deleted, then just manually selecting Request Desktop Site from the menu? By default the mobile site is loaded but that site certainly loads the desktop version for me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Why does Livemarks not load as many items in the live bookmarks folder as the old builtin one did?

Like for this feed, Livemarks only loads about half or 60% of the links.

http://rss.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/HomePage.xml

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

icantfindaname posted:

Why does Livemarks not load as many items in the live bookmarks folder as the old builtin one did?

Like for this feed, Livemarks only loads about half or 60% of the links.

http://rss.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/HomePage.xml

Go into the addon options and edit your RSS feed by clicking on the 3 dots. You can change your maximum items there. It defaults to only displaying 25 results.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I see, thanks

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm trying out Firefox because I'll have to switch once Chrome drops adblocks and so far I've managed to customize it really nicely, but is there a way to get tweets to load on the forums? Chrome showed them but Firefox just shows links to tweets. Thanks!

E: To clarify, I have both Privacy Badger and uBlock installed but neither seem to have any settings related to tweets.

EE: Nevermind, jumped the gun. It was tracker setting.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 23, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Stare-Out posted:

I'm trying out Firefox because I'll have to switch once Chrome drops adblocks and so far I've managed to customize it really nicely, but is there a way to get tweets to load on the forums? Chrome showed them but Firefox just shows links to tweets. Thanks!

E: To clarify, I have both Privacy Badger and uBlock installed but neither seem to have any settings related to tweets.

Do you have Firefox's built-in tracking protection enabled? If you see the shield icon next to the lock in the address bar then that would be it since that blocks Twitter embeds. To disable it click the shield and then click the disable button the pops up (this is a per-site setting).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, that was exactly the issue. Thanks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Is there any way to make Firefox not change the scroll speed in the middle of scrolling? I often try to scroll to the middle of a page, but after three or four swipes on my trackpad, it will suddenly zoom to the top or bottom. I’m on macOS, and it’s behaving like I had scrolling with inertia enabled. (I turned it off in Accessibility Settings, which fixes the issue in Chrome but not Firefox.) Toggling smooth scrolling does nothing.