Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sorry for double-posting, but I just thought it was kind of funny that we came from this

to that Hulkbuster pic. Stark just recreated his first nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Sorry for double-posting, but I just thought it was kind of funny that we came from this

to that Hulkbuster pic. Stark just recreated his first nemesis.

:trumppop:

That's amazing lmao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bedshaped posted:

When does a comic book become a graphic novel?

When it's a single long-form piece rather than a serial spread over multiple issues. Watchmen is a comic book, Habibi is a graphic novel.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bedshaped posted:

When does a comic book become a graphic novel?

Depends on how many snake hexes Alan Moore has put on it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Black Panther gets a best picture nod... But not Logan or The Dark Knight. :laffo:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hell with that! Blade. And he didn't have to sell out to the CIA to murder those bougie suckhead parasites

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s criminal how little award recognition Logan got.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Logan was cool but I don’t think it’s fair to put it anywhere in the same league as The Dark Knight. X-24 was exceedingly lame.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Sir Pat deserved at least a supporting actor nom.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fart City posted:

Sir Pat deserved at least a supporting actor nom.

Pretty much, yeah.

Logan was otherwise just ok. Best X-Men film at least.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The action scenes in Logan play way worse without sound, much more than the typical action movie, so give it an award for that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am looking over the Oscar nominations and the whole thing is one giant what the gently caress?

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Logan was cool but I don’t think it’s fair to put it anywhere in the same league as The Dark Knight. X-24 was exceedingly lame.

Read this as X-23 at first and was ready to fight

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Sir Kodiak posted:

The action scenes in Logan play way worse without sound, much more than the typical action movie, so give it an award for that.

The movie was pretty technically competent all across the board. Like X-24 is indeed stupid, but the actual composting effects used to create it is pretty impressive. Production design was pretty dece as well.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Logan was pretty good, it wasn't amazing, I really don't think a comic book film making you feel something other than "bad rear end!" should actually be held up a huge achievement.
Also Logaan was fine, I kind of love the vs. self being made literal though.

It was definitely miles ahead of any MCU nonsense though.

I said come in! posted:

I am looking over the Oscar nominations and the whole thing is one giant what the gently caress?

We live in a hell world.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean this has been happening for years, Oscar bait movies, Weinstein's wheeling and dealing with the Academy, the ads "for your consideration"...it's just another step in the total capture of the institution by massive corporate oligopoly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Oscars also did not nominate the Mr Rogers documentary. WTF?!!

And all of this is burying the news that Channing Tatum might direct the Gambit movie himself.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MelancholyMark posted:

Read this as X-23 at first and was ready to fight

Hell no, she owned.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pirate Jet posted:

They're both "prestige" films in the genre compared to basically everything else.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The MSJ posted:

The Oscars also did not nominate the Mr Rogers documentary. WTF?!!

And all of this is burying the news that Channing Tatum might direct the Gambit movie himself.

What is Tatum’s weird boner for Gambit? Like who is pining for that?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fart City posted:

If dere's one thing I know after all dis time, mon cherie, it's dat e'erybody's pining fo' Gambit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

Channing Tatum.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fart City posted:

He wants that Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool heat.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tatum is just a big nerd. Gambit is a sexy dude from the South, probably sees a lot of thing in common with himself.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

If dere's one thing I know after all dis time, mon cherie, it's dat e'erybody's pining fo' Gambit.

drat you for making me remember loving this poo poo, right down to the mon cherie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I liked Logan well enough but didn't think it lived up to the hype.

Sooner or later I want to see a full on Wolverine mask on screen too.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Urdnot Fire posted:

Or Annihilation, which was also snubbed.

Nah. I liked the bear, but nothing in that was award worthy. I will admit it looked better than this:

:lol:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Oscar nominated visual effects.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oscar nominated visual effects.

They probably nominated it for the genuine achievement that is Thanos rather than for this singular still image.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PriorMarcus posted:

They probably nominated it for the genuine achievement that is Thanos rather than for this singular still image.

I swear to god I'm not trolling, but what about Thanos is a genuine achievement?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Jose Oquendo posted:

I swear to god I'm not trolling, but what about Thanos is a genuine achievement?

man is big and purple

this is the same degree of boundary-pushing as, uh, gollum, who actually did deserve an academy award and received several

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ungulateman posted:

man is big and purple

this is the same degree of boundary-pushing as, uh, gollum, who actually did deserve an academy award and received several

Return of the King was 15 years ago too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thanos is just riding ivan ooze's coattails

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

thanos is just riding ivan ooze's coattails

He wishes

At least Ivan Ooze's motivation and plans made loving sense

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fart City posted:

A lot of people are pining for Tatum's boner.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

He wishes

he wants to kill half the universe because he likes killing. makes sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah

Step 1) Get revenge on Zordon

By what method does he enact this step? Just go into his house and loving kill him while his body guards are fighting my henchman in an abandoned construction site. Ok good plan.

Step 2) Dig up my giant robots.

By what method? Give mind controlling putty to kids that control parents to do so. Also pretty solid.

Step 3) Conquer Earth

By what method? Giant indestructible robots.

Then I assume you flip Earth to movie universe Dark Spectre, go hang out in movie universe Lost Galaxy, and watch the Brady Bunch Reunion on loop.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

he wants to kill half the universe because he likes killing. makes sense.

I guess a generation raised on "they hate our freedom" would think that's a realistic world view and that masses would flock and fight in support of it (Thanos' army in the flashbacks).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Return of the King was 15 years ago too.

Fellowship was out a couple months after 9/11. Kinda crazy to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Burkion posted:

He wishes

If it made sense then we would be in support of Thanos wiping out half the universe and he would be the good guy?