Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What a stupid plan (or lack thereof). What was the expected benefit of water cooling the camera anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TheCoach posted:

If you are into old PCs then PhilsComputerLab is a really great channel, he has lots of videos with benchmarks and building tutorials that are super helpful.

Here's him building a 486 with a modern power supply and flash based storage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHIVGxNnkbA

Well, he's the only PC hardware guy I subscribed on YT.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

priznat posted:

What a stupid plan (or lack thereof). What was the expected benefit of water cooling the camera anyway?

Those RED cameras can get pretty hot and could be susceptible to overheating. To reach that point you would have had been blocking the heat exhaust or been filming non-stop in an extremely hot climate, which I can't imagine their studios doing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume if they get too hot they just shut off anyway. So it’s not really solving a problem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I assume if they get too hot they just shut off anyway. So it’s not really solving a problem.

I don’t think Linus ever actually solves problems. He just does poo poo to see how stupidly he can do poo poo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For teh views

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It is absolutely hilarious how youtubers use those Red cameras to shoot their vlogs. We definitely need 8k footage of their loving LED lamps and tech gizmos.

*CUE DUBSTEP MONTAGE*

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I didn't mind that video.

This however I DID mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGq8uJSco1o

Why yes, let's swap out production network gear without preconfiguration! WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

pofcorn posted:

This however I DID mind:

Why yes, let's swap out production network gear without preconfiguration! WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!

That video made me feel really competent at my job, and I still feel I could be smarter at work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

He’s like an entertaining technology clown.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pofcorn posted:

This however I DID mind:

I watched it and like everything else they do there's no planning. That level of stupidity is the same as when they failed to set up a ptp wireless network because they lack even the most basic tools and planning to do the job. A number of the videos are just the same as fresh film students that don't learn anything and keep repeating the same gently caress ups.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

mewse posted:

Holy man now I'm imagining ben heck watching the lovely heatsink series of videos and cringing

I love your pro posting gangtag. where did you get it?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

I watched it and like everything else they do there's no planning. That level of stupidity is the same as when they failed to set up a ptp wireless network because they lack even the most basic tools and planning to do the job. A number of the videos are just the same as fresh film students that don't learn anything and keep repeating the same gently caress ups.

but... but those youtube thumbnails!?!? pretty funny!!!!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

buglord posted:

I love your pro posting gangtag. where did you get it?

Punch Sport Pagoda / MMA posters got them, it's a take off of the old Pride logo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

priznat posted:

He’s like an entertaining technology clown.
Isn't that exactly what he is?

I challenge you to find a better visual for that term than him dancing on a table in a lab coat. You have defined Linus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Took me a while to realize it, but I got there. It is confusing as hell trying to puzzle out how someone can be so consistently a complete goofball.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

This probably isn't it, but if you do astronomical photography then cooling the sensor absolutely reduces noise.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

This probably isn't it, but if you do astronomical photography then cooling the sensor absolutely reduces noise.

It probably isn’t but that really does look like someone just slapped a Noctua CPU cooler on the side and called it good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~Coxy posted:

That owns. Funny though it isn't a water cooler, even :haw:

Linus probably would have had better results if they built an enclosure that blasted high CFM fans into the vents of the camera and it would have been non destructive.. But of course ~WaTeR CoOLiNG!!~

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

priznat posted:

Took me a while to realize it, but I got there. It is confusing as hell trying to puzzle out how someone can be so consistently a complete goofball.

It's really not. He's an entertainer, if he plans things out too much and they go well, his content won't get as many views. I don't understand how people seriously think Linus is stupid. You can dislike his gimmick, but to not realize it's a gimmick is ridiculous.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I could care less about his gimmick, I just want to stop seeing his clickbaity face over and over in my YT recs whenever I watch aything tangentially related to PC hardware, despite flagging him as not interested for the zillionth time.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Video Blocker makes Youtube infinitely more usable. Stop all of the bad accounts from showing up in recommendations. It's the type of thing they really should integrate into the stock interface, make more people look at recommendations? Nah

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

priznat posted:

i feel the channel has got slightly more self-aware recently - the editor's definitely got more room to manoeuvre when it comes to gently taking the piss out of him, which i feel works a lot better

mewse
May 2, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

i feel the channel has got slightly more self-aware recently - the editor's definitely got more room to manoeuvre when it comes to gently taking the piss out of him, which i feel works a lot better

I went back and watched “Luke repairs his keyboard” and it was so much more mellow and interesting. Then I watched “we made the fastest XBOX evar” where Linus takes all the credit for Alex’s work and all the screechy bullshit is in there

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Palladium posted:

I could care less about his gimmick, I just want to stop seeing his clickbaity face over and over in my YT recs whenever I watch aything tangentially related to PC hardware, despite flagging him as not interested for the zillionth time.

After 4-5 "Not Interested" clicks, LTT has seemed to vanished from my recommended stuff :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Non tech aware people aren’t aware of the “joke” and I was told about the channel by one who totally earnestly believed that Linus is a tech guru which I think is the source of my confusion.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
In Linus schadenfreude news, he somehow managed to kill one of his (over $10,000) Xeon Platinum 8180 CPUs by dropping it :v:, and he's somehow gotten on Intel's bad side so he's pretty certain they won't replace it for him so he'll have to buy a new one with his own money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWTCVU57rA&t=311s

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 28, 2019

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It's actually loving infuriating why he always seems in a manic panic to move poo poo around or showcase it or tear it ouf othe box or whatever the gently caress

Like, loving relax, man! Holy poo poo.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

It's actually loving infuriating why he always seems in a manic panic to move poo poo around or showcase it or tear it ouf othe box or whatever the gently caress

Ketamine does that to you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Imagine having him as a boss

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arivia posted:

It probably isn’t but that really does look like someone just slapped a Noctua CPU cooler on the side and called it good.

That's a peltier under the noctua to cool the camera guts below ambient.

Cooling the sensor is good to reduce noise which is important for long exposures. Alternately it could be for IR photography -- IIRC you want the whole inside of the camera to be cool for that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mewse posted:

Imagine having him as a boss

Whenever they're vlogging their office for some project and they go into the editor den to announce they're doing something, none of the staff seem happy. Hmmm

mewse
May 2, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Whenever they're vlogging their office for some project and they go into the editor den to announce they're doing something, none of the staff seem happy. Hmmm

Yeah. I’m projecting a little bit because my first job was in VFX in Winnipeg so I know the “creative” industry in Canada a little bit - but I can’t imagine those editors are getting paid much to drop everything multiple times per day and help out with whatever Linus’s most recent stupid idea is

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klyith posted:

That's a peltier under the noctua to cool the camera guts below ambient.

Cooling the sensor is good to reduce noise which is important for long exposures. Alternately it could be for IR photography -- IIRC you want the whole inside of the camera to be cool for that.

A related factoid I found interesting was air to air missles with IR seeker heads having a little bottle of cryogenic liquid inside to cool them down.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Can Linus 🤡 FIX 🛠️ his $10,000 💯✖️💯 💵 CPU🤖 ??? (No, he cannot. Skip to 10:05 to see the face of a man who realized he just flushed 10 grand down the toilet. 🗑️)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbLGiaAzoQo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

These YouTube channels with a gently caress-ton of cash flow seem to be about one advertising algorithm change away from bankruptcy. Especially as they move away from being original content that people want, and towards being popular for being popular.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Thanks Ants posted:

These YouTube channels with a gently caress-ton of cash flow seem to be about one advertising algorithm change away from bankruptcy. Especially as they move away from being original content that people want, and towards being popular for being popular.

I hope that day comes ASAP since:
1. The tears from clickbaiters who tied themselves up to a non-guaranteed source of income will be delicious
2. Without them anyway, there will still be no shortage of creators making actually good content

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Palladium posted:

1. The tears from clickbaiters who tied themselves up to a non-guaranteed source of income will be delicious

We're already here. The number of YouTubers that think YouTube's ad income should be a god given human right is honestly mind blowing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
"I used to think Linus was gay but then I realized he is just Canadian."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9_qSA2qv_4

I actually sorta like watching his videos, I have not subscribed to his channel because get enough of him in my feed without subscribing. He does do some stupid stuff every once in a while, and he is annoying, but there is constantly new content and every once in a while you might find a tiny nugget of interesting information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The mean comments video was great.