Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a bit where a comic artist died after making a comic of future events, then he came back as a zombie and taunted his boss. It was okay and felt very creepshow

it was of course FICTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Unsovled Mysteries was definitely a you had to be there and already interested thing. Like you can't even believe how insanely loving bad that kind of show and book and stuff was before it, Unsolved Mysteries was like a cut of above all of the other ones. Like the show IS dumb but holy poo poo catch some In Search Of... episodes on YouTube or look at supermarket checkout line booklets about ghosts and paranormal mysteries from back in the day and oh my Gooood that poo poo was insanely stupid to me even as a kid.

In Search Of...'s reenactments, oh my lord. Check out the In Search Of...HAUNTED CASTLES episode where they spend a lot of time talking about THE SCREAMING SKULL.

I mean, fuckin' love watching all that poo poo again as an adult because they're goofy as hell but man was it all bad.

I think the worst of those shows was a paranormal/UFO centric take on them called Sightings.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hooooly poo poo, Sightings. I haven’t thought of that in over a decade, easily.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sightings was totally my poo poo. I have absolutely no doubt it was utter trash.

Its weird because I never really cared THAT much about alien stuff. Like, I saw Fire in the Sky in the theaters so I was into that stuff somewhat but I wasn't even watching Alien Autopsies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Oh man remember the Time Life Books UFOssssssssssssssss Ancient Secrets .......Mysteries of the Unknown. I just really hate Unsolved Mysteries because I'd always have to watch it with my aunt when better shows were on and it was always garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4zBYh2PUyk

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Oh man remember the Time Life Books UFOssssssssssssssss Ancient Secrets .......Mysteries of the Unknown. I just really hate Unsolved Mysteries because I'd always have to watch it with my aunt when better shows were on and it was always garbage.

did stonehenge really shoot a laser at a dude

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well that commercial was a nostalgia bolt I didn't expect, holy poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O__2oT2PBj8

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pomp posted:

YOU DECIDE!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
The OG "I dont' know, therefore aliens!" television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmONZoJg2E

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Pomp posted:

We can reasonably say that there is no proof that it didn’t

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's why they cordoned off Stone Henge. To many people being lasered.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The Horror Thread: That's why they cordoned off Stone Henge. To many people being lasered.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Those books weren't half bad for 'Baby's First UFO/Ancient Mysteries' books. I borrowed them from the library back in the day. Now, for actually buying books, these were totally my thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyl5NpWG1A

The art was good and got me reading a lot more mythology. Someday I will eventually replace the set I had that my ex trashed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We have at least 3 horror goons in the UK we can test to see if that video is telling the truth.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Talking about old spooky shows, you guys remember Fear? I still binge the old episodes on YouTube when I'm bored.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you know, when i was 10 i really thought crystal skulls would be a bigger threat in my life

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Pomp posted:

you know, when i was 10 i really thought crystal skulls would be a bigger threat in my life

Younger me would be furious to find out out just how few crop circles I've seen with my own eyes.

(that number is zero)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

Younger me would be furious to find out out just how few crop circles I've seen with my own eyes.

(that number is zero)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YE1-7bc5Q4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

When I was a kid, I just wanted to find some proof of the paranormal because it would've been rad, so I watched those drat shows all the time. They ruled but also made me mad because they never found poo poo.

There was an infuriatingly bad children's show up here that was basically ghost hunters but with kids, and it made me really mad with how blatantly dishonest they were. It took me all of two episodes to realize that not only did no one involved believe ghosts were real, but also that ghosts definitely did not exist.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Talking about old spooky shows, you guys remember Fear? I still binge the old episodes on YouTube when I'm bored.

That the one that was on MTV? I loved that show, watched it faithfully. Sad thing is that something like that wouldn't get made today since they'd feel they'd have to ramp things up instead of it just keeping psychological.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I was more of an In Search Of... kid

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

In Search Of... was the beginning of my lifelong relationship with these shows as sleep aides. Then for years in college it was Histories Mysteries, and now it's Ancient Aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the most recent MST3K season has an episode where they do a 1979 movie called The Day Time Ended. It's pretty bad but also awesome because it's a mix of a the rapture has happened time to walk off to heaven story and an alien invasion story. The cool thing though is that all of the alien technology, and the way the ships work and light up and the way the lights in the sky move is super super accurate to how people reported UFO sightings and abduction stories over the past decade. So it's a cool one stop shop for what folks who were true believers were claiming to see and experience at the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

In Search Of...'s reenactments, oh my lord. Check out the In Search Of...HAUNTED CASTLES episode where they spend a lot of time talking about THE SCREAMING SKULL.

Which one? There's at least six.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

yeah I prefer Pharrell's earlier stuff too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

lizardman posted:

Jonathan Frakes: "Is this incredible tale a genuine case of fact being stranger than fiction? Or are we pulling a fast one on you? If you guessed the latter, you're not going to believe it when I tell you now that it is indeed a true story.

...Because you'd be right. We made it up."

:perfect:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

That the one that was on MTV? I loved that show, watched it faithfully. Sad thing is that something like that wouldn't get made today since they'd feel they'd have to ramp things up instead of it just keeping psychological.

Yeah they wouldn't have any kind of restraint. I still hate it ended solely based on expense since the viewership was really strong. Scariest Places On Earth tried a similar thing but it wasn't quite as good.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Pomp posted:

According to the corroborating evidence from the thread's favorite documentary film Halloween 3: yes, absolutely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Jedit posted:

Which one? There's at least six.

I embedded a YouTube link to the exact episode further up the page, the name of the episode is literally In Search Of...Haunted Castles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fart City posted:

Anyway, they were all better than Rescue 911, because Jesus Christ seriously how many kids can I watch fall through a frozen lake before it loses its spark.

There was one reenactment on that show I remember to this day where is a kid is running and playing and he slips and slides under a riding mower someone's mowing their lawn with and it cuts to like a bloody shoe flying out the other side of it. :3:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Seasons of the Witch would point to yes

Speaking of Halloween- I Think 2 might be better than the new one. The original 2.

Like in context of the first movie, it really depends on what kind of sequel you want

Do you want one that picks up immediately after or do you want one that takes place years later. Just, with 2, there's still a lot of good camera work and cinematography, and the deaths are pretty great.

Halloween The New One, if I had anything to really complain about, it's the fact that the deaths kind of suck and almost all happen off screen. ANd the REAL thing to complain about- they almost NEVER use Michael the Shape appropriately. They don't play with background shots or having him be in the open but out of focus. There's no fun Michael stalking moments where if you're looking, you can JUUUUUST see him.

I know this is because John Carpenter isn't directing so they don't have his eye for that kind of thing but Jesus I wish they had at least tried.

Half the fun of Michael is noticing when he's milling about in the background. Or, at times, in the foreground.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Burkion posted:

Half the fun of Michael is noticing when he's milling about in the background. Or, at times, in the foreground.

This did a cool take on this when he kills the guy running the gas station that many people actually did miss but I agree it would have been nice to have just a little more, like maybe during the, uh, Halloween 2 part where he's first walking around town and into homes to stab folks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

This did a cool take on this when he kills the guy running the gas station that many people actually did miss but I agree it would have been nice to have just a little more, like maybe during the, uh, Halloween 2 part where he's first walking around town and into homes to stab folks.

I liked how Green played around with that formula though. Like the scene where he stabs the woman in the neck, you see him walking around the side of the house but she doesn't, and you know exactly where he's going but she of course goes to look out the window in the opposite direction and then here he is walking in the back door...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Basebf555 posted:

I liked how Green played around with that formula though. Like the scene where he stabs the woman in the neck, you see him walking around the side of the house but she doesn't, and you know exactly where he's going but she of course goes to look out the window in the opposite direction and then here he is walking in the back door...

That whole part was amazing and I loved the distorted view of him walking around the side through the glass - to that end I actually would go so far as to say the movie does do a good job with having him be "the shape." But it's generally done with reflections and reflective things breaking up the view of him instead of with clever placement and lighting of the character (not that the movie doesn't have some great moments of that though like the motion sensing light scene) like in the original. A lot of this does go away in towards the end though, but I also liked that because in a way it's like, before the actual climax happens Laurie's already "won," Michael is briefly like the damsel in this kind of movie at that point. He's following the granddaughter, but he also just busted out and killed the doctor and is leaving the scene, I sort of saw that like he was retreating into the woods and then entering what's clearly a creepy crazy person house, the same way Scream/etc. poke fun at Laurie going back upstairs in Halloween instead of just leaving. The way the way ending inverts things between the two complements that really well. "Don't Go In The Basement."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 23, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah they wouldn't have any kind of restraint. I still hate it ended solely based on expense since the viewership was really strong. Scariest Places On Earth tried a similar thing but it wasn't quite as good.

I really liked how they'd go into the real history of the location, then go into the stories circulating around them. None of the challenges were over the top or out of line, just stuff like sit in this electric chair in a dark room for ten minutes and come out so it was all in the head stuff if someone got freaked out or not. If they tried it now, they'd probably try something like that crappy show the Soska Sisters were involved with.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

There was one episode of Fear I always remember because this one girl got put through the ringer. She had to hold two live wires and electrocute herself for a couple seconds, I think she had to lay under a bed of nails that was dangling from a rope that eventually snapped and drops it a few feet from her face (and she only had to do it cause someone else quit) and I think one other intense stunt. But she did all of them and won even though I think every guy in that episode quit.

She was hardcore.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1088116174632566784

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I really liked how they'd go into the real history of the location, then go into the stories circulating around them. None of the challenges were over the top or out of line, just stuff like sit in this electric chair in a dark room for ten minutes and come out so it was all in the head stuff if someone got freaked out or not. If they tried it now, they'd probably try something like that crappy show the Soska Sisters were involved with.

Yeah, Scariest Places on Earth has a rough first season, but I always loved it growing up for these reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

This was rumored but I now mega super hype it's actually happening. :O