Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

Now, that said, I think there's a cool potential for a game to make the stylistic choice to build and scan miniatures, but that would be doing extra work to achieve a unique visual style.

Aren't most miniatures first modelled in a CAD program before manufacture, though? So you'd go Digital -> 3D print -> Digital?

There have been a few games done in Claymation, I believe. Like Neverhood and Armigkrog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, the game that billed itself as "the claymation game," Clay Fighter.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

The original Doom used photos of clay figures for many of the monsters. Technically not photogrammetry, but still in the same ballpark. More info here: https://www.mcvuk.com/development/models-from-hell-how-practical-maquettes-defined-the-original-doom

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

Aren't most miniatures first modelled in a CAD program before manufacture, though? So you'd go Digital -> 3D print -> Digital?

There have been a few games done in Claymation, I believe. Like Neverhood and Armigkrog.

Yeah, nowadays most toy/miniatures are all done in 3d digital first, 3d printed, and then molds cast from there.

Also Mortal Kombat and the like derived character sprites from photos of costumed models. That's basically like 16 bit performance capture, right? :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The Swapper, the recent-ish puzzle platformer, had all of its art assets hand sculpted and scanned into the game. It game it a really unique organic look.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I believe Cuphead also sculpted some of its background assets, like the Egyptian city you can see in the background of the genie fight.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Metal Meltdown posted:

I believe Cuphead also sculpted some of its background assets, like the Egyptian city you can see in the background of the genie fight.
That's an outright video loop though

ShadowHawk posted:

How much of 3d modelling is photogrammetry of physical objects these days vs pure computer designs?

Will we be at a point where more artists are sculpting physical miniatures and scanning them?

Very common perhaps essential depending on what you're trying to make.
It's much faster to photogrammetry a whole bunch of photo realistic rocks or plants or a tree stump or just some dirt than it is to hand model them one by one or try to procedure generate them (or a nice looking burger like above that was probably someones lunch then they scanned it for fun).
It's really useful for making environment art look un-repeditive and realistic without having to spend the time it would take to hand make it. And anyone with an iphone and enough disk space can do it now with a bit of trial and error.
Even things outside environments use it heavily now, it's not going to replace modeling but it's well established along side it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ChocNitty posted:

Japan understands the importance of presentation and aesthetics with food. They double wrap relatively inexpensive bags of cookies. They use beautiful handmade organic paper and nice ribbons to wrap boxes of sweets. Entrees are always come on their own separate plate. More garnishing is used. Portions are smaller, so the quality is higher, so you appreciate it more. Nicer restaurants have individual dining rooms so you have privacy and dont need to listen to other peoples stupid and boring small talk. And despite their custom of not tipping, service is always better than in the US.

But I do want to get that final fantasy game so I can play the cup noodles quest.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, thread, I'm starting livestreaming stylized 3D environment art for games again this year, if anyone is interested. I talk about concepts a bit at the beginning, work for a while, and then I'll probably start doing some kind of critique/feedback at the end.

https://www.twitch.tv/mutatedjellyfish

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

KingBomber69
Feb 25, 2018

by VideoGames
how do i make a game thats like a bunch of different really really really really awesome games but the similarities are so minute that you wont be able to tell laffolol

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

KingBomber69 posted:

how do i make a game thats like a bunch of different really really really really awesome games but the similarities are so minute that you wont be able to tell laffolol

Outsource it to China, spec sheet: make game like game x, y and z

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Can anyone explain the effect where you have a flat image at the front of the render that is an overlay or outline of a 3d model in the frame, it used to be used a lot for x-ray vision for seeing people through walls or highlighting things it's like a stencil but positioned right over the 3d model.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Flannelette posted:

Can anyone explain the effect where you have a flat image at the front of the render that is an overlay or outline of a 3d model in the frame, it used to be used a lot for x-ray vision for seeing people through walls or highlighting things it's like a stencil but positioned right over the 3d model.

Do you mean this? http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Silhouette-Outlined_Diffuse

I'm not a graphics programmer but i think they take the model, expand each vertex out in the direction of its normal then draw it with a flat colour instead of its texture but always draw it on top of everything rather than respecting the z buffer.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

CJ posted:

Do you mean this? http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Silhouette-Outlined_Diffuse

I'm not a graphics programmer but i think they take the model, expand each vertex out in the direction of its normal then draw it with a flat colour instead of its texture but always draw it on top of everything rather than respecting the z buffer.

Yeah like that
Used to show up a lot for xray vision

And for top down games where characters could be behind the scenery but still needed to be seen.

I was wondering what the story behind this optimization that you sometimes see when you're not meant to for RB6S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1R_UQdZXpA

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 23, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Rainbow Six has a feature where if a player model clips through geometry it deforms the mesh so that the vertices that would pass through the wall are instead flush with it. This is so you don't give away your position from your enemy seeing your hand clip through the wall or something. What's happening there is probably that a glitch is causing the game to think that you are in front of that wall rather than behind it, so every vertex of the model is "clipping" through the inside face of the wall so every vertex ends up flush with it.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

CJ posted:

Rainbow Six has a feature where if a player model clips through geometry it deforms the mesh so that the vertices that would pass through the wall are instead flush with it. This is so you don't give away your position from your enemy seeing your hand clip through the wall or something. What's happening there is probably that a glitch is causing the game to think that you are in front of that wall rather than behind it, so every vertex of the model is "clipping" through the inside face of the wall so every vertex ends up flush with it.

:five:

I watched the clip 2 or 3 times and didn't have much of a clue. This makes sense.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

If they're distorting the vertexes then its odd that it's squishing the whole character down and not just the parts pressed onto the wall and drawing it onto the other side but it's probably what it is.
I thought it might be a way characters are drawn if you don't have vision to them.

Speaking of vertex normals
There was a really good info doc that had all the reasons for having your normals pointing 90o from the adjacent face ( extra normal vectors) and all the reasons when to have them pointing off at a tangent but I can't find it now.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 23, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Flannelette posted:

You just disable depth test, set a different material/shader and draw the model again. Nothing fancy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That glitch makes me want some sort of 2d/3d hybrid multiplayer shooter, like Splatoon but with actual character models and assets rapidly popping into and out of flat surfaces on walls, like mario galaxy

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Flannelette posted:

If they're distorting the vertexes then its odd that it's squishing the whole character down and not just the parts pressed onto the wall and drawing it onto the other side but it's probably what it is.
I thought it might be a way characters are drawn if you don't have vision to them.

Speaking of vertex normals
There was a really good info doc that had all the reasons for having your normals pointing 90o from the adjacent face ( extra normal vectors) and all the reasons when to have them pointing off at a tangent but I can't find it now.

The way it's supposed to work is you are left of wall, no parts of the model can be more right than the wall.

The bug is that you are left of the wall, the game thinks you should be right of the wall, so it doesn't let any part of the model be more left of the wall.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You just disable depth test, set a different material/shader and draw the model again. Nothing fancy.
Just as basic, there's also the option of changing the depth test, to make it only draw things behind other things rather than things in front of other things. Normally that'd mess up with the visuals but of course it doesn't matter if you draw a single color or semitransparent object rather than a normal one.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, you probably want to do something like that if you want to be able to draw like, a character that's partially hidden by cover and only highlighting the part that's in cover.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Curious about how some mods and small dev team games can produce huge amounts of new high quality models and animations but then other small dev teams (mainly in non english speaking countries) say that they can't afford more than a handful? Is it just if they have someone who can churn them out for free or is there an easier supply of artists in some places I would have though it would all be even where-ever you are on the web?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Really hard to say without specific examples. Some people are very productive. Others aren't. Some teams have larger budgets than they seem. Some have smaller than they seem. No one generally wants to give precise numbers on that sort of thing.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Or some people outright steal assets.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Personally I think a lot of it also relates to the type of talent that happens to be involved in the dev team. Sometimes a studio is four programmers and an artist. Sometimes it's 4 artists and a programmer. The type of game you make should probably be determined by the resources available, but sometimes people have a vision for a game that doesn't fit their studio.

Also, there are a lot of free/cheap resources out there, but not all of them will fit the types of art style or the objects you need. For our game jam this weekend we used this 100 percent free furniture/interiors/exteriors pack but we based our art style around it so everything fit. If we wanted something other than generic furniture, however, we would have needed to build it ourselves or find some other solution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm curious if anyone would care to share their own experiences regarding the sorry story of Starbreeze:

The fall of Starbreeze

There's a tremendous amount to go through here, but this quote stands out:

"It's very hard to be on a train when you see it's wrecked," one person said. "There's nothing you can do about it. We're going to fail in six months, you just don't want to admit it, and you're lying to yourself and you're lying to the team."

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Superrodan posted:

Also, there are a lot of free/cheap resources out there, but not all of them will fit the types of art style or the objects you need. For our game jam this weekend we used this 100 percent free furniture/interiors/exteriors pack but we based our art style around it so everything fit. If we wanted something other than generic furniture, however, we would have needed to build it ourselves or find some other solution.

These 3d model assets that you can get for free or bought always seem not at all useful for a game dev, unless like you said, you make the rest around them or they're things like rocks or something you buy a pack of so they don't stick out. But buying a high detail weapon or tank model just seems like it would be unpractical and would be better made to order, buying textures and such seems ok because it's easy to alter them a million ways to suit your game.

I had a question about making the interior of a vehicle which I've never tried: Since its concave so I can't "sculpt inwards" is it optimal to model all the individual convex or nearly convex pieces and then put it together?

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm curious if anyone would care to share their own experiences regarding the sorry story of Starbreeze:

The fall of Starbreeze

This seems like a worse version of ION storm but without any happy bits.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 29, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Interesting an article from some coworkers on things you don't hear much about http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/333792/Breaking_down_the_metagame_design_in_a_mobile_RPG.php

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is a producer not kind of a project manager?

What is the difference between the two in the game industry? (Producer vs Project Manager)

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Revitalized posted:

What is the difference between the two in the game industry? (Producer vs Project Manager)

At every company I've worked at we use those two pretty much interchangeably.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
In my experience, producers are mostly about trying to keep a project on schedule and managing dependencies between teams, and there may be more than one for a given project. The project manager is more of a high level decision making type position. Also don’t recall ever having more than one of those for a project.

Every place does things a bit differently though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Every Studio/Org is different. EA for instance has Producers, Executive Producers, Project Managers, and Product Owners (Which is not the Product Owner in the term of an Agile/Scrum system.) as roles. If there's a specific place you're thinking of someone could better answer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This is probably the best place to ask, will somebody make a cell shaded Carmen Sandiego videogame in TYOOL 2019?

Or rather just tell me why this will or won't happen anytime soon (why yes I did just watch some of the new Netflix animated series)?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whether or not that happens depends on a lot of factors but it begins and ends with whether or not the IP holders even WANT to license their IP at all. I see this on Wikipedia, though :

"Towards the turn of the 21st century, the Carmen Sandiego property passed through a series of five corporate hands: Broderbund (1985-1997), The Learning Company (1998), Mattel (1999), The Gores Group (2000), and Riverdeep (2001–present). Subsequent acquisitions and mergers of Riverdeep led to the franchise currently being in the possession of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. For the next 15 years, the series would become mostly dormant despite a few licenced games. In 2017, soon after Netflix commissioned an animated show based on the property, HMH hired Brandginuity to reboot Carmen Sandiego through a licensing program built around the show and the franchise as a whole including toys, games, and apparel.[6] HMH Productions, established in 2018, is currently the content incubator, production company, and brand manager of Carmen Sandiego and has three Netflix projects in the works: season 1 of an animated show (January 2019), an animated interactive special (Late 2019), and a live-action film.[7] The 30th anniversary of the first Carmen Sandiego Day took place on January 8th, 2019. "

So it looks like they're planning on taking a crack at it at some point, but I bet whether or not those other things happen hinge on how good the Netflix show goes. Out of all of the things they could do, though, game dev is probably the most risky financially.

IP licensing can be a fraught path, though, as we're seeing with Star Wars.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's when you make up your own character, presenting Cassandra Brazil a thief in a blue trench coat oh poo poo she just stole the entire internet! Get it back, gumshoe.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

al-azad posted:

That's when you make up your own character, presenting Cassandra Brazil a thief in a blue trench coat oh poo poo she just stole the entire internet! Get it back, gumshoe.

Or her non-union Mexican equivalent, Consuela Tijuana

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks mutata, fingers crossed.

al-azad posted:

But hell I'd play this too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I had another dumb question:
Anyone know how the screen space decals that bloodborne and DS3 uses work? 1: They seem to have a ridiculous upper limit to them (make hundreds of them, walk across the whole game and come back and they're all still there as long as you don't use a bonfire to reset the world) and you can just keep piling more and more decals and it doesn't seem drop the frame rate like you'd expect?
2: They can run across separate meshes so if your character gets blood on their face and mask, if you take the mask off the bit that wasn't covered by the mask with still have the decal on it.
These are neat tricks that you'd think other engines with SS decals would use but they all seem to have the standard decals that vanish after there's 30 of them or 30 seconds thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

Every Studio/Org is different. EA for instance has Producers, Executive Producers, Project Managers, and Product Owners (Which is not the Product Owner in the term of an Agile/Scrum system.) as roles. If there's a specific place you're thinking of someone could better answer.

Yeah I was thinking of EA (specifically Respawn Entertainment). I refresh their career page once in a while and I saw in the past they had Associate Producer/Producer gigs. Recently however, I spotted Project Manager for their Apex Legends project.

Seeing both terminologies get used on the same job board made me think that they are probably significantly different roles (of the same category)