Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i'm applying for a java shop where you have to do their little test in java (or c++???) and my only java experience is two units back in undergrad ten years ago

hopefully my c# translates well enough and they aren't too picky about the language itself. i'm gonna try to use streams, wish me luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Surprisingly Amazon said they want to go a technical phone interview but my dumb rear end replied, "Sure, I'm available after 5 PM during the week as I'm not taking off work to talk."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mekkanare posted:

Surprisingly Amazon said they want to go a technical phone interview but my dumb rear end replied, "Sure, I'm available after 5 PM during the week as I'm not taking off work to talk."

what's wrong with that

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's wrong with that

an amazon recruiter once scheduled a call with me on a saturday morning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

protip, don't work at amazon.

I had a recruiter call me, I told him, "no Amazon" and then goes into why I should reconsider.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's wrong with that

it's an amazon recruiter, so mekkanare should have declined outright.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

???

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Fiedler posted:

beggars can't be choosers though

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Penisface posted:

beggars can't be choosers though

... there's a whole subreddit tho

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

don't feign ignorance, news of how they treat their employees has reached new york

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

thanks this is helpful. reading this and knowing how rusty I am at whiteboarding that’s def where I need to spend most of my time

JawnV6 posted:

austin tho?

yeah. actually apparently there’s already a bunch of apple dev jobs here, at least from looking at a cursory search, I just never checked until that recent announcement on the expansion

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

raminasi posted:

i'm applying for a java shop where you have to do their little test in java (or c++???) and my only java experience is two units back in undergrad ten years ago

hopefully my c# translates well enough and they aren't too picky about the language itself. i'm gonna try to use streams, wish me luck

the major differences between Java and c# ate not stuff that should come up or ding you on a test. I came out of a c# environment and it was only a couple week learning curve for the basics and I'm slowly increasing my mastery of Java. I continue to be frustrated by how much shittier javas generics are but what can you do?

I'm addicted to lambdas and streams now though. linq was banned at my old job, as were lambdas.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
had an interview today for what i thought was a research technician job but turned out to be devops. seeing as my background is as a scientist i don't think i'll be getting a callback for round 2. but got also got an interview with the same company and some of the same interviewers for a research job this week, which i reckon i have a good shot at having felt them out a bit today

the naming of jobs in computer science can be confusing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

jit bull transpile posted:

linq was banned at my old job, as were lambdas.

wtf

i get they can be used to write unreadable code but still

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Lambda, the forbidden architecture ...of desire!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

Lambda, the forbidden architecture ...of desire!

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

I blindly accept what's asked of me without asking questions and fret over it after the fact. It's something I need to work on.

I definitely have the privilege of being picky. Despite my complaints my work environment is very accommodating, especially wrt mental health.

Every time you post about Epic I am more and more glad that you got out of there.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

jit bull transpile posted:

linq was banned at my old job, as were lambdas.

:catstare: I don't think I've ever had an Epic recruiter hit me up but I know my reply would be laughter

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
there are legit reasons to avoid linq with particular bits of code (performance, usually) but i can't think of any reasons to avoid lambdas

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It's funny but I actually want to get into Epic, their hosted :butt: is :ck5: and Madison is a good place to raise kids.

Also they rejected me so I have an infantile need to prove them wrong somehow.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

goog phone interview at noon, prepared for death.

i seriously hate this feeling, and it's so much worse for FAANG interviews

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Good luck KidDynamite

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

iospace posted:

protip, don't work at amazon.

I had a recruiter call me, I told him, "no Amazon" and then goes into why I should reconsider.

So I've heard all kinds of opinions about amazon ranging from "lol don't work there" to "its not bad depending on what team you're on". I'm in Seattle and I've decided I want a big name on my resume. I've been specializing in BIG DATA processing and technologies for the last couple of years and would like to continue with that, so working for AWS specifically is something I'm seriously considering.... (I've heard too many horror stories about Google, and I'd probably never make it past their interview process anyway... and Microsoft is... Microsoft... which leaves AWS, it doesn't hurt that they're headquartered here and are the biggest of the big three cloud companies)

Does anyone have experience working at AWS, or knows someone that does?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ADINSX posted:

So I've heard all kinds of opinions about amazon ranging from "lol don't work there" to "its not bad depending on what team you're on". I'm in Seattle and I've decided I want a big name on my resume. I've been specializing in BIG DATA processing and technologies for the last couple of years and would like to continue with that, so working for AWS specifically is something I'm seriously considering.... (I've heard too many horror stories about Google, and I'd probably never make it past their interview process anyway... and Microsoft is... Microsoft... which leaves AWS, it doesn't hurt that they're headquartered here and are the biggest of the big three cloud companies)

That what was the recruiter was saying. I'm also not interested in Seattle either :v:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

iospace posted:

That what was the recruiter was saying. I'm also not interested in Seattle either :v:

well of COURSE the RECRUITER was saying that :p

I'm rejecting job postings from other parts of the company outright (and living here, you get a lot of them)... I don't care about alexa, I don't care about some random department's international tax calculation software... but there aren't many companies out there doing cloud stuff at their scale, and I think it would have a really solid return on resume.

A problem I've been worried about recently is I keep working at small companies and proving myself, sometimes getting promotions, usually getting better work... but when you switch jobs that clout vanishes... no one gives a poo poo that you're "software architect" at No Name Co... but if I gut it out at a bigger company for a few years I could see promotions like that sticking, or at least big projects seem that much more impressive.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

:catstare: I don't think I've ever had an Epic recruiter hit me up but I know my reply would be laughter

I bet there was a green engineer many years ago that went "I just learned linq/lambdas and now it is my hammer for everything."

That Green engineer made a gigantic pile of poo poo code that took months to clean up.

This happens in every language.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

I bet there was a green engineer many years ago that went "I just learned linq/lambdas and now it is my hammer for everything."

That Green engineer made a gigantic pile of poo poo code that took months to clean up.

This happens in every language.

true, the problem is usually "nobody was guiding this work or paying any attention at all really" but nobody ever wants to acknowledge that so it's easier to just ban the footguns

or worse they go too far in the opposite direction and oops devs aren't around to write sql anymore dbas have to do it all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

beginning to think i should just take all reference to the clearance stuff out of my resume

keep getting ads on indeed for military recruiters which i Emphatically No Longer Want

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

there are legit reasons to avoid linq with particular bits of code (performance, usually) but i can't think of any reasons to avoid lambdas
the reason is 100% because the architect/lead didn’t understand them and didn’t care to learn

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my org has a huge boner for extension methods and i take perverse joy in removing them so i can simultaneously mock components and our architect

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i really, really wish it was easy to mock extension methods

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Extension methods seem like they could mayyybe be an okay idea if you're the only person working on a bit of code and you're never going to come back to it and have to go, "Wait, since when did String have a foo() method?" Like, syntactic sugar is nice, but it should also be consistent. Like operator overloading.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

ADINSX posted:

and Microsoft is... Microsoft...

lol.

"companyA isn't trendy enough so tell me about companyB. companyB can't really be as bad to its employees as everyone says, right?"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ADINSX posted:

Enjoy your on call. But I have some friends at Amazon and I think aws is generally regarded as a more prestigious position within the firm, and really I'd probably consider it myself. Even if you hate it, it puts you in a good position to be accepted to another team.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 23, 2019

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cold on a Cob posted:

i really, really wish it was easy to mock extension methods

yah this is basically my only problem with them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Konami gaming had me doing a codility test, scheduled for two hours but I aced it in one, so in theory i've got a 30-45m phoner on Friday

At least it's a team lead in theory, I do way better with them than the HR people I can't reliably get technical with

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hosed up printing out a string representation of a UIView hierarchy iteratively(explicitly stated no recursion) , like had the right direction going but had mush brain. interviewer explicitly told me 40 minutes was more that enough time for that.

also may have had my identity stolen and i can't file an identity theft report because the government is shut down

good day, imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

Konami gaming had me doing a codility test, scheduled for two hours but I aced it in one, so in theory i've got a 30-45m phoner on Friday

At least it's a team lead in theory, I do way better with them than the HR people I can't reliably get technical with

Game Design Considered Harmful.

Especially given what little I know about your psychological profile.

:(

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Ciaphas posted:

wonder if their fitness and slot/pachislot machine divisions aren't nearly as terrible as their video game and arcade game divisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

god drat Apple recruiter that I assumed ghosted me emails me for availability the day after I sign an offer ffffffu