Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sounds like a good time to revisit Lost Soul. That doc is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wonder how they're actually going to show show a color outside of the visual spectrum.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wonder how they're actually going to show show a color outside of the visual spectrum.

I imagine it'll be something along the lines of Annihilation, where it's like a constantly shifting thing where you can't really pin down exactly what color it is because it's always changing and it seems like it has bands of every color inside it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

FreudianSlippers posted:

Interpretive dance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress yeah.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

quote:

Nicolas Cage has been set to star

it'll be like those Doom mods where the textures are replaced with a picture of Cage's face

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cage is having a good couple of years. Mandy, Mom and Dad, Spider-Verse, now this. People are remembering how awesome he can be in the right movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

Cage is having a good couple of years. Mandy, Mom and Dad, Spider-Verse, now this. People are remembering how awesome he can be in the right movie

I think when it's all said and done, Cage's down period will be thought of as nothing more than a short-term blip. I mean, when you really look at it, he was putting in interesting and compelling performances as recently as 2010/2011, even arguably 2012 if you like what he did with the Ghost Rider character. It's really only 2013-2016 where he was making worthless trash and in the overview of his entire career it's really not a big deal or unusual at all for an actor to have periods of time like that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

That german adaptation of it just cheated and made it in black and white and had the colour be purple.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I think when it's all said and done, Cage's down period will be thought of as nothing more than a short-term blip. I mean, when you really look at it, he was putting in interesting and compelling performances as recently as 2010/2011, even arguably 2012 if you like what he did with the Ghost Rider character. It's really only 2013-2016 where he was making worthless trash and in the overview of his entire career it's really not a big deal or unusual at all for an actor to have periods of time like that.

Yeah it seemed like he was washed up and just didn't care when it was happening (especially stuff like Season of the Witch and Bangkok Dangerous, yikes) but looking at his whole career it's just a small bit of what he's accomplished.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Some actors have one movie that justifies their entire career for me. They can do absolute garbage flicks for the rest of their days, and they can be disliked for their acting style, but I will always consider them a great actor.

Nicolas Cage has like half a dozen of those movies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FreudianSlippers posted:

It'll be a close up of his face as his eyes go wide, he goes crazy, and we never see it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

It'll be a close up of his face as his eyes go wide, he goes crazy, and we never see it.

Yea now that I think about it how can they do anything else? Why hire Cage if not to allow his ridiculous faces to convey the incomprehensibility of the colours.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Don't forget Cage is also doing a movie with Sion Sono, that'll be something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

How will we tell?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I imagine it'll be something along the lines of Annihilation, where it's like a constantly shifting thing where you can't really pin down exactly what color it is because it's always changing and it seems like it has bands of every color inside it.

I'm hoping it's something just gradual enough like the dithered insano color cycling that is Robotron 2084. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l800GL6NQPY

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

How will we tell?

:thurman:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

theyll make a new color for the movie duh?!?!?!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

For as much as I always felt Del Toro was the only one to handle Color out of Space, after seeing Mandy, I'm really interested in seeing where they go with this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea they were still letting Richard Stanley make films.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

As long as Cage doesn’t try to wear an ice bucket on his head, things should go smoother this time.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I liked Dust Devil and Hardware a fair amount so I looked up what he's done recently and I guess he's been doing weird occult documentarys. Has anyone seen any of them? looks interesting

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

How will we tell?

He always says "chehr gobble" before going insane in his movies

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just include a tab of acid with the movie ticket/blu-ray.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Drunkboxer posted:

That german adaptation of it just cheated and made it in black and white and had the colour be purple.

That's actually really clever

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tolkien minority posted:

I liked Dust Devil and Hardware a fair amount so I looked up what he's done recently and I guess he's been doing weird occult documentarys. Has anyone seen any of them? looks interesting

The doc about him and The Island of Doctor Moreau was interesting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

If you haven't seen it the directors cut of Dustdevil is pretty fantastic fantasy horror.

Like it's very good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

Me neither but I'm glad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
At this point I'll believe a new Richard Stanley movie exists when I see it for myself.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

At this point I'll believe a new Richard Stanley movie exists when I see it for myself.

Look inside yourself; it’s been there all along

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/panoscosmatos/status/1088271963989000192

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I forget which podcast but Ron Pearlman has an incredible anecdote about working with Brando and how awestruck/intimidated he was with doing so. Anyway early on they're shooting the scene where Perlman's SAYER OF THE LAW character and Brando are together and Brando says poo poo about the sun's rays being bad for you and then Perlman Says the Law and like the day they filmed it like everyone gets into place and right before they start shooting out of nowhere Brando's like wait wait wait this guy? while pointing at Perlman, who is this idiot, what's his point just get him out of here man. Steve (IIRC he was just calling folks whatever names) what are you doin' to me man just get rid of this guy. And Perlman was of course devastated and terrified by this but after much consternation they convince him that it's okay for Perlman to be there and he's part of the story and they do like a bazillion takes of this scene at Brando's insistence and he delivers everything the EXACT same way every time. Anyway like hours and hours later they finally get it and then out of nowhere Brando's turns to Perlman and is like, wait, are you blind? Are you playing it blind? And he's like yeah and Brando's like this kid's a genius get the camera back up we gotta do this again this is a whole new thing it's like new worlds man and they do like another few takes where there's zero difference in anything and afterwards Brando was gushing to him about how cool he was and how they need to hang out and talk about music and stuff.

Also:

quote:

Actors playing Moreau's creations would spend hours in makeup, only to find out that they weren't needed. At one point, a day's filming was cancelled when Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer refused to come out of their trailers until the other did.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 24, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget which podcast but Ron Pearlman has an incredible anecdote about working with Brando and how awestruck/intimidated he was with doing so. Anyway early on they're shooting the scene where Perlman's SAYER OF THE LAW character and Brando are together and Brando says poo poo about the sun's rays being bad for you and then Perlman Says the Law and like the day they filmed it like everyone gets into place and right before they start shooting out of nowhere Brando's like wait wait wait this guy? while pointing at Perlman, who is this idiot, what's his point just get him out of here man. Steve (IIRC he was just calling folks whatever names) what are you doin' to me man just get rid of this guy. And Perlman was of course devastated and terrified by this but after much consternation they convince him that it's okay for Perlman to be there and he's part of the story and they do like a bazillion takes of this scene at Brando's insistence and he delivers everything the EXACT same way every time. Anyway like hours and hours later they finally get it and then out of nowhere Brando's turns to Perlman and is like, wait, are you blind? Are you playing it blind? And he's like yeah and Brando's like this kid's a genius get the camera back up we gotta do this again this is a whole new thing it's like new worlds man and they do like another few takes where there's zero difference in anything and afterwards Brando was gushing to him about how cool he was and how they need to hang out and talk about music and stuff.

Also:

It was on WTF. Yeah, good interview.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate Marlon Brando.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Marlon Brando.

That's okay

I'm pretty sure he did too

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Richard Stanley dealing with Marlin Brando, illustrated:

“MARLON, WHY.

loving FINE.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

That's okay

I'm pretty sure he did too

I would take solace, but he hosed with too many people. I don't like these artists who treat people like scum. Except for Sam and Bruce. They can treat each other with disdain because it comes from love.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Davros1 posted:

I saw that version of Dr. Moreau at the show and wasn't sure what to make of it. Sitting through that documentary explained a hell of a lot.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

M_Sinistrari posted:

I saw that version of Dr. Moreau at the show and wasn't sure what to make of it. Sitting through that documentary explained a hell of a lot.

The really interesting thing about Lost Soul was seeing that Stanley’s version had a good shot at being just as much of a train wreck as what ended up getting released, but at least it would have been an interesting train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

I’m honestly surprised it’s not more of a cult movie now. It’s not boring at least.