Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, if you follow the Comic strip thread in BSS,then you saw it there. It was posted not too long ago.

One of them was the guy getting busted in on at home while he was mopping.
Stuff happens, and "Bad guy" ....Invincible! That's it!

Bless you, sir. Bless you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, if you follow the Comic strip thread in BSS,then you saw it there. It was posted not too long ago.

One of them was the guy getting busted in on at home while he was mopping.
Stuff happens, and "Bad guy" ....Invincible! That's it!

For some additional information about it, it's a French comic written and drawn by Pascal Jousselin and published by Dupuis, and the original title is "Imbattable" (literally "unbeatable").

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A comic book character knowing they are in a comic book is the most sigh inducing gimmick

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

EmmyOk posted:

A comic book character knowing they are in a comic book is the most sigh inducing gimmick

:sigh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I mean specifically hero comic stuff like Deadpool not an occasional strip from the funnies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the kinda thing that's great when done well, but wears out its welcome oh so very quickly.

Deadpool works in short bursts like the movies, especially considering that everyone in-universe considers him a ranting nut who goes off on nonsensical tangents all the time and a complete egomaniac.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Gwenpool grabbing all the sound effects so nobody hears them is good--it's Looney Tunes stuff, where the Coyote is thwarted because you're expecting physics but, instead, get a cartoon. What's aggravating is the referentiality, when characters are constantly commenting on the fact that they're in a cartoon, because it's the author betraying their own confidence. They're nudging you in the ribs to make sure you got the joke, instead of just, you know, doing the joke.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nancy now owns, in one of the more :3: developments of 2018. Also, glad her aunt isn't drawn like a 50s pin-up anymore.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

EmmyOk posted:

It's only deadpool who makes it obnoxious.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

lofi posted:

It's only deadpool who makes it obnoxious.

These are great, they have given me a slight headache though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like that guy because you really can't use that character in any other medium.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, it's a really clever use of the format without vanishing up its arse about it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Destroying a gun by shooting itself was pretty clever.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I love that he's clearly never really trying or even giving much of a poo poo. just doing his thang cause that what he does. helps people. and no one else could understand it so screw trying to explain. "it's just lag"

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I never knew this was a french comic. Thanks apparently there are already 2 tomes out, I know what my next purchase is

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Precambrian posted:

Gwenpool grabbing all the sound effects so nobody hears them is good...

It really isn't. With Deadpool in the films (I've not seen the character in anything else) everyone else can think he's just crazy, like Ghost Leviathan said. But actually pulling words out of nowhere that makes sound not happen is stupid.
I mean, if you enjoy that then great, but I'm firmly in the "sigh" camp. (French comic is good, though.)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking people still can't see them after she grabbed them, so to everyone else she just seems to stand there ninja crouching in the corner like some kind of ape, so I'm taking this one down as "funny" in this here little book over here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lofi posted:

Yeah, it's a really clever use of the format without vanishing up its arse about it.

I think the key thing is that he doesn't really use the same thing twice and has fun with the ramifications of it, like the cat appearing in different places at once due to what is from its perspective time travel.

Deadpool has some similar things in the movies, where him being able to see through the fourth wall means that he can remember alternate timelines and things he shouldn't (like X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and has a perspective on the films from the outside, which is rarely much use to him. (until he gets a time machine and is hilariously irresponsible with it) A key thing that makes Deadpool work is that his crazyness isn't limited to the fourth wall, and as a result he's constantly rambling and making asides, jokes and insults that nobody understands and make him come across as completely insane to everyone in-universe and out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That sounds like everything I hate yeah

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the key thing is that he doesn't really use the same thing twice and has fun with the ramifications of it, like the cat appearing in different places at once due to what is from its perspective time travel.

Yes I haven't read them yet but apparently there are even other characters with other powers:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gromit posted:

But actually pulling words out of nowhere that makes sound not happen is stupid.
I mean, if you enjoy that then great, but I'm firmly in the "sigh" camp. (French comic is good, though.)

It's the exact same thing though? Both of them are interacting with visual elements of the comic form and treating them simultaneously as they literally are and as the things they represent. One is doing so with the panel borders and the other with the text.

And she didn't pull the words out of nowhere, they appeared when the sound was made and she grabbed them to prevent them from performing their function. We didn't see them in their original location because that was the whole point - she grabbed them before anyone could see/hear them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Someone really needs to translate all of these. The would needs imbattable

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gromit posted:

It really isn't. With Deadpool in the films (I've not seen the character in anything else) everyone else can think he's just crazy, like Ghost Leviathan said. But actually pulling words out of nowhere that makes sound not happen is stupid.

Actually it's very cool and good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gwenpool is cool, even though the costume could be better. Also I believe she's written by Chris Hastings, former goon and creator of Dr. McNinja, a very good web comic. So that's nice

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Choco1980 posted:

Someone really needs to translate all of these. The would needs imbattable

My French is a bit rusty, but here ya go!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

origin of dickbutt?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

My French is a bit rusty, but here ya go!

thanks!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If your opponent is called Imbattable you might as well give up

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phlegmish posted:

Don't see why a sports team hasn't done that yet.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Why is Gwen drawn like she's the main wankfodder in a How To Draw Manga book? that first panel looks like she's upset she's running late for school and dropped her toast mid-run.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Why is Gwen drawn like she's the main wankfodder in a How To Draw Manga book?

Way to answer your own question there, chief.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Why is Gwen drawn like she's the main wankfodder in a How To Draw Manga book? that first panel looks like she's upset she's running late for school and dropped her toast mid-run.

the art for the series is done by Gurihiru, a japanese art team who also did the human character designs for Sonic Unleashed

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not saying it's good or bad, but she looks exactly 100% like every female aged 14 to 39 in any comic book ever made?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not saying it's good or bad, but she looks exactly 100% like every female aged 14 to 39 in any comic book ever made?

American comics and Japanese mangas are made for disposable use, mass market. This doesn't really motivates the artist to develop their vision as it encourages quantity over quality

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The official canon answer is that the person making her costume ran out of material for the pants.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Bruce Wayne's nemesis.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Push El Burrito posted:

The official canon answer is that the person making her costume ran out of material for the pants.

Plus her initial motivation was, knowing how comics work, to be interesting enough that she's a protagonist rather than a background extra. Thhat way, even if she dies she'll either come back or hang out in an afterlife, rather than be forgotten. She was willing to go on machine-gun vigilante sprees to do that, showing a bit of leg probably also helps!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Conceptually I like the joke of interacting with sound effects, but the execution ruins the joke. The other character, who respects the four walls of the medium, acknowledges the existence of sound effects as words, which means that sound effect words exist in-universe. So it's like breaking and fixing the fourth wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Conceptually I like the joke of interacting with sound effects, but the execution ruins the joke. The other character, who respects the four walls of the medium, acknowledges the existence of sound effects as words, which means that sound effect words exist in-universe. So it's like breaking and fixing the fourth wall.

No, he merely acknowledges
a) that Gwen can experience and interact with his universe as if it were a comic book
b) the existence of sound effects as words in comic books