Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We should stop asking friends of these people because ultimately it doesn't matter. It' ends up being a very complicated matter for them but really it just adds more than we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1087665453021970432

They should have put this piece of poo poo away years ago.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sirotan posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1087665453021970432

They should have put this piece of poo poo away years ago.

I don't want to be cynical but I half expect he'll get out again, not go back to France, and his supporters will all 'you r just hater'

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought France was the country sex-offending creators go TO, not the other way round.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope they fuckin keep him.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rhyno posted:

I hope they fuckin keep him.

Keep him in a toilet lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

Keep him in a toilet lol

douche is french for uh bathing

toilette is where you keep your necessaries

and Chris Brown deserves scorn and a lot of things

has not life punished him enough? :byodame:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rami Malek is busy walking the tightrope on Bryan Singer:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-rami-malek-bohemian-rhapsody-oscar-nomination-20190122-story.html

quote:

Do you have any regrets about working with Bryan Singer? Did you weigh the allegations that were out there about him before signing on?
As far as I knew, I was considered before Bryan was even attached. So I had my head down preparing for this for about a year ahead of time, and I never really looked up. I didn’t know much about Bryan. I think that the allegations and things were, believe it or not, honestly something I was not aware of, and that is what it is. Who knows what happens with that … but I think somehow we found a way to persevere through everything that was thrown our way.

The fan response to the film has been big, but there are also a lot of fans who don’t quite know how they should feel about the film given Singer’s involvement. What would you say to them?
I think they can understand that Bryan Singer was fired from the film. And that can be something that they can look at from a perspective of understanding why they can appreciate the film. And as far as I’m concerned, I never want to take away from Freddie’s story. I think that puts a button on it in a number of ways.

In light of what we’re talking about, I would also thank Dexter Fletcher, who is a tremendous talent and came on when we really needed someone to see this through, and did an extraordinary amount of work as well.

This movie getting nominated for the Oscars is downright pathetic, and if it wins it will go down as one of the worst Oscar winners ever. It's an awful movie through and through. The script is Hollywood boilerplate fanfiction and it's not even shot well. Malek is great in it, but they also give him an absolutely comical set of prosthetic teeth.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
between that and his weak-rear end response when asked about mercury's sexuality, malek kind of sounds like a coward

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

If the night ends with Singer holding any kind of gold, the entire academy needs to be fired into the sun.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fart City posted:

If the night ends with Singer holding any kind of gold, the entire academy needs to be fired into the sun.

He’s not gonna show up to the ceremony, maybe they’ll mail it to him wherever he’s hiding now.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fart City posted:

That’s when the doors lock and a disembodied voice declares that it has a message for Germany

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Pirate Jet posted:

He’s not gonna show up to the ceremony, maybe they’ll mail it to him wherever he’s hiding now.

Does the Eyes Wide Shut mansion have a P.O. Box?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

starkebn posted:

It's the same for so many people "I knew him as a friend so I'm willing to let things slide"

Another male friend defending him too, to boot.

It’s like this guy on reddit, who, in a thread about Harvey Weinstein, said “Well I worked on one of Harvey Weinstein’s movies once and he was cool and brought us crewpeople some pizza. He didn’t seen creepy at all.”

It’s like, no poo poo Harvey Weinstein wasn’t going to seem or act creepy towards you, you weren’t a young woman. You weren’t the kind of person the creep targeted. Your interaction with him and if you thought he seemed like a good guy or not means absolutely nothing in the context of the allegations against him; he didn’t act like that to people like you.

Ok, that’s veering a little off topic, but Brad Bird’s positive interactions with John Lasseter are just as irrelevant.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

peer posted:

between that and his weak-rear end response when asked about mercury's sexuality, malek kind of sounds like a coward

I think it's also how the whole thing works. He could never get another role and hollywood would just role on. He's in a pretty drat vulnerable position.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

I think it's also how the whole thing works. He could never get another role and hollywood would just role on. He's in a pretty drat vulnerable position.

Yeah, he's in the position where he's popular now but easily replaced (especially as a non-white actor approaching 40). If he speaks out too much, it wouldn't take much effort for Hollywood to forget about him.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Malek is great in it, but they also give him an absolutely comical set of prosthetic teeth.

Actually that's really what Freddie Mercury looked like.

His teeth were gigantic. He was just so charismatic and cool that you didn't care.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 23, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

peer posted:

i think the guy who a few years ago was the third male lead in a video game might have justifiable career concerns. he should have known better, but still.

e: minor note, producers are the ones who get best picture oscars and since singer didn't produce and didn't get nominated for director he has no way of winning an award. bohemian rhapsody has a snowball's chance of winning anyway and was utter trash with the exception of malek's performance, but worth assuaging those concerns.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fun fact, Mercury's weird teeth may have contributed to his voice being so unique.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Sucrose posted:

It’s like this guy on reddit, who, in a thread about Harvey Weinstein, said “Well I worked on one of Harvey Weinstein’s movies once and he was cool and brought us crewpeople some pizza. He didn’t seen creepy at all.”

I refuse to believe this happened. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone say a positive thing about Weinstein’s personality. Like basically anytime I read something about him there was always a part about how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. Not just nowadays, but stuff from years ago too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

esperterra posted:

Fun fact, Mercury's weird teeth may have contributed to his voice being so unique.

???

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mercury thought if he fixed his teeth his voice would change lmao

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nobody gave a poo poo about Jennefer Grey after the nosejob so Truth.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I can kind of buy Malek's excuse to be honest. Not everyone gets clued in to these things (And really, the only people who know the news about Singer are the types posting in this thread, did it even make any sort of news other than the trades?) and the last story about Singer - prior to production - was from 2014 and dismissed like a month later.

And I mean there's a lot of steps between Malek and the movie. Between the studio, producers, agencies etc, it's easy to assume that whoever you're working with might be on the up and up. It could just as easily be bullshit, but I don't think it's all that far-fetched.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’s a minor celebrity best known for starring in an acclaimed but not particularly popular TV drama. This was his big break. He’d have taken it if it was Polanski. He wouldn’t have been right but he’d have done it regardless. Few are moral enough to turn down opportunities like that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I refuse to believe this happened. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone say a positive thing about Weinstein’s personality. Like basically anytime I read something about him there was always a part about how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. Not just nowadays, but stuff from years ago too.

I worked with Harvey Weinstein's associate who I've previously called the only true man child I've ever met, as in he was a guy hurling around millions of dollars and tons of power and all I could picture is a giant cartoon baby wetting his pants every 5 minutes and crying. He was one of the dumbest, most clueless motherfuckers I've ever met. Everyone talked horrible poo poo behind his back to me about what a prick the guy was. I watched him verbally insult and threaten the IT guy because he had to call him into his office *several times* because the moron kept picking the wrong size paper to print to and jamming his printer, despite being told over and over. I also got to watch him scream the gently caress out of some celebrities and threaten - literally - that they'd never get a decent job again if they didn't go where he wanted when he wanted.

He left a ton of movie scripts out on the desk I got to read (this was around the time I also had to go over the dailies for Cursed, so a long time ago); Final Destination was the only one I think that got made. This was the guy that'd decide to green light a movie or not.

It was the moment I truly became spiteful about people like that because literally everyone surrounding the man was smarter, more capable and far more charismatic and he felt like the kind of lout who, in another environment, would be the shithead that gets fired for being too much of a dick at the Wal-Mart. He didn't deserve the power, money, or clout he had, not even a little bit and I can absolutely assure you he was not good at his job. It frustrated me to the point I couldn't keep working there, slaving away hoping to be made permanent.

I never got to meet Weinstein directly during my time there, but I did make dinner reservations for the prick with the manbaby I've been ranting about. So yeah, that's a 'what the gently caress' memory.

PS: While watching the dailies the people that DID work with Weinstein went off about what a fat loving prick he was for 20 minutes so there's that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 23, 2019

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I really don't get the obsession with requiring that all friends and coworkers publicly denounce sex pests. Like yes, of course if you knew something I think you have a responsibility to say something, but beyond that I don't know how we benefit from criticizing people for saying things like it's complicated. (note this is totally different from actually supporting said pests - I think Janeane Garofalo deserves some criticism.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
here’s Esquire’s big Singer expose, except that The Atlantic ended up publishing it instead. It’s good stuff. hope the floodgates open after this

https://twitter.com/theatlantic/status/1088046923444031488?s=21

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Chris Brown was released without charges

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twerking on the railroad posted:

Chris Brown was released without charges

Ah, good to know his checkbook still works.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Barry Convex posted:

here’s Esquire’s big Singer expose, except that The Atlantic ended up publishing it instead. It’s good stuff. hope the floodgates open after this

https://twitter.com/theatlantic/status/1088046923444031488?s=21

Singer released a statement about this story
https://twitter.com/adambvary/status/1088113491985092608?s=21

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh what the gently caress ever. Spacey tried to use his sexuality as a smokescreen too. According to Singer there’s been a homophobic smear campaign raging against him for the better part of two decades, all the while he continued to thrive in Hollywood despite having a habit of walking off set.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I remember when Xmen Apocalypse premiered my local cinema had a guy come out just before the movie and quiz the audience on stuff (a fun excuse to do the "please turn off your cellphones " speech in person).
Anyways, he finished off by asking us to please try and enjoy the movie despite the director, to which literally no one wondered what the gently caress he was on about.

I guess what I'm saying is that Singer is a shitbag and everyone except Hollywood seems to know ir.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

i think the guy who a few years ago was the third male lead in a video game might have justifiable career concerns. he should have known better, but still.

e: minor note, producers are the ones who get best picture oscars and since singer didn't produce and didn't get nominated for director he has no way of winning an award. bohemian rhapsody has a snowball's chance of winning anyway and was utter trash with the exception of malek's performance, but worth assuaging those concerns.

Singer going down (again) while Bohemian Rhapsody is in contention may cause its campaign to fail out of embarrassment.

In any case, it was really obvious watching the movie why Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

esperterra posted:

Mercury thought if he fixed his teeth his voice would change lmao

There might have been some truth to it, he had with an extra molar on each side that forced his jaw and windpipe into a weird configuration. He participated in a few studies about the condition from the London School of Medicine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Svensken posted:

I remember when Xmen Apocalypse premiered my local cinema had a guy come out just before the movie and quiz the audience on stuff (a fun excuse to do the "please turn off your cellphones " speech in person).
Anyways, he finished off by asking us to please try and enjoy the movie despite the director, to which literally no one wondered what the gently caress he was on about.

I guess what I'm saying is that Singer is a shitbag and everyone except Hollywood seems to know ir.

I think the lead up to X-Men Apocalypse's release was when these stories first started to hit the mainstream where the public would be aware of them. At least I think that's how I remember the timing of it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FWIW Malek is also between a rock and a hard place because if he goes nuclear on Singer then he will be viewed as the guy who derailed the Oscar campaigns of a bunch of powerful people.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Basebf555 posted:

I think the lead up to X-Men Apocalypse's release was when these stories first started to hit the mainstream where the public would be aware of them. At least I think that's how I remember the timing of it.

I'm pretty sure there were allegations made prior to Days of the Future Past which were in the news. It's a shame because I really like 3 out of the 4 X-Men films he's done and now they feel a bit tainted.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was compelled to do a Ctrl+F to see if any of this was leaking onto Ian McKellen and was not disappointed.

quote:

Collins-Rector arranged for Andy and his family to visit the set of Apt Pupil. “They were filming the scene where Ian McKellen’s character puts the cat in the oven,” Andy recalls. “It was really weird, because the cat was the most lethargic thing in the world. So they’re trying to make it seem like he was afraid—picking it up and spinning it around. The cat didn’t do poo poo.” (A source who worked on the movie confirmed this description of the cat’s behavior.)

The cat is 2019

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vagabundo posted:

I'm pretty sure there were allegations made prior to Days of the Future Past which were in the news. It's a shame because I really like 3 out of the 4 X-Men films he's done and now they feel a bit tainted.

Mark Harris on Twitter posted a piece he wrote way back in 97, asking if something happened on the set of APT PUPIL where an extra in a shower scene was forced to go nude. Whatever seems to have happened on THE USUAL SUSPECTS only got talked about recently. He seems to have done this right from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Mark Harris on Twitter posted a piece he wrote way back in 97, asking if something happened on the set of APT PUPIL where an extra in a shower scene was forced to go nude. Whatever seems to have happened on THE USUAL SUSPECTS only got talked about recently. He seems to have done this right from the start.

Is it this article?

https://ew.com/article/1997/05/02/indecent-proposal-set-apt-pupil/

So basically, a room full of extras, including boys as young as 14, were asked to strip nude for a shower scene in the movie. This claim was backed up by three of the boys, including the 14 year old. I guess in Singer's uh, defense, he was not actually one of the ones who asked the minors to strip, that was assistant directors Fernando Altschul and Tom DeSantos. The article doesn't specifically say if Singer was on set while this was going on or not. But Singer was the director; if there was a scene calling for a bunch of teenagers to be filmed naked in the showers, he would have been the one to order it.

And if you haven't read The Atlantic article yet, the new accuser against Singer, who is not one of the previously mentioned boys, says that he was a 13 year old extra on the set of Apt Pupil and that Singer had him strip down to a towel for a locker-room scene, then led him off to a more private area of the building and molested him.