Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that makes more sense.

And did Sid poo poo himself or not?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Isn't Sonya dating the same chick now?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Sonya dating the same chick now?

Yup

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I have several friends whose kids are WWE fans and without exception they all love Roman. I've never asked but I always wonder what they think of all the boos he gets.

I asked my friend about this and hilariously her son (who is like 9) is too much of a smark to care. She got mad when Dean turned on Seth and he said, "Mom, they're just acting! They're still friends in real life!"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve never seen Penta and Fenix work as a tag team before. How does that even work, is Fenix just like “yeah he’s weird as hell but he’s still my brother”?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah and they both say gently caress

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yeah and they both say gently caress

Can't believe they're stealing Tozawa's gimmick

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

exploded mummy posted:

I'm wondering if theyll do the third, it's pretty clear that a lot of people were trying to figure out an excuse to cancel the second without pissing off the Saudis.
They suffered no discernible negative consequences for Crown Jewel, media attention was minimal, fans don't appear to care, and they're still getting billions of dollars. I'd be shocked if they do anything more than turn it into that Tribute to the Troops thing where people have a choice not to go but are clearly pressured to. And even that seems like a stretch. It will be everyone's booked, if you insist on not going you don't have to, but you better have a secure spot if you're gonna do that.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, that makes more sense.

And did Sid poo poo himself or not?!

I'd like to think he did, as a perfect encapsulation of his career.

In the biggest match of his career, the Iron Sheik popped a boner in the middle of ring before straddling Hulk Hogan.

In the biggest match of his career, Sid shat himself.

In the biggest match of his career, HHH won the Undisputed Championship in front of a deflated and indifferent audience because the real stars the crowd wanted to see already worked.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What's the most offensive crowd chant you've ever heard?

I'm still making my way through B&V&C's Retro Raw/Nitro reviews and they have repeatedly said the crowd chanted stuff at Pillman in his dress that you'd never hear now. One time they said the crowd was chanting "gay" but was that always it or was the crowd dropping the F-word? I recall hearing ECW crowds did that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm still making my way through B&V&C's Retro Raw/Nitro reviews and they have repeatedly said the crowd chanted stuff at Pillman in his dress that you'd never hear now. One time they said the crowd was chanting "gay" but was that always it or was the crowd dropping the F-word? I recall hearing ECW crowds did that.

There's a match from '96 or so where Taker is out on his back in the middle of the ring and Goldust is basically molesting his unconscious body while the crowd screams "DIE human being DIE"

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There's also an early 90s WCW match where Owen Hart, working as a babyface, leads the crowd in chanting "human being" at his opponent.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

One of the main things I don't like about Lucha (and Mexican sports culture in general) is the 4 letter p word chant. It has homophobic connotations and the técnicos will lead the crowd in chants. It is also used during Mexican soccer matches

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Latino culture is still homophobic and misogynistic as gently caress, unfortunately. I still haven't cleaned up my act completely because it's quite common to use puto in Portuguese as a " loving" equivalent in sentences that would be translated as "I don't a loving dollar" or "I have no loving idea" and as a bilingual person it didn't sound as harsh as the f-word, which is outright proof that words matter and all.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a Chris Jericho WCW promo around early 1998 or so that I wish I had the time/link for. With a huge F-word chant.

It was pretty common and I am sure WWE Network edited most out.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

If I recall they asked the crowd to modify their chant for Johnny Mundo but I forget what they were saying.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Beer_Suitcase posted:

If I recall they asked the crowd to modify their chant for Johnny Mundo but I forget what they were saying.

Johnny P***. They changed it to Johnny Culo (which just means rear end in a top hat)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

ECW crowds were loving horrible. They could give a match great atmosphere but they were also positively neanderthal in their outlooks. "She's a crackwhore" was a popular chant (I'm sure it was aimed at Sunny & at Francine at various times), or "get your tits out". And yeah, there were definitely outright homophobic chants. Rewatching ECW TV, it's really hard to not despise the ECW fans.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I went to Cleveland All Pro show in like 2005 that depressed me enough to quit watching wrestling for almost a year. There were some little kids, maybe 8 or 9 years old screaming "gently caress you human being" at the heels while their parents looked on and laughed. One of the kids had a sign that said "faggit"

I had dragged one of my friends to show who barely watched wrestling and he just looked at me and said, "These are your people, huh?"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

At a CZW(?) show after Eddie died a fan yelled “gently caress that” during a ten bell salute

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Shawn Michaels received homophobic chants during his first heel run too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Bidness posted:

I went to Cleveland All Pro show in like 2005 that depressed me enough to quit watching wrestling for almost a year. There were some little kids, maybe 8 or 9 years old screaming "gently caress you human being" at the heels while their parents looked on and laughed. One of the kids had a sign that said "faggit"

I had dragged one of my friends to show who barely watched wrestling and he just looked at me and said, "These are your people, huh?"

poo poo, I saw a kid, who couldn't be more than ten, at WWF show with sign asking Sable to have sex with him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Davros1 posted:

poo poo, I saw a kid, who couldn't be more than ten, at WWF show with sign asking Sable to have sex with him.

Well that's the Attitude Era for ya. I was also around 10 or 11 at the height of Sable's popularity and I certainly had lewd thoughts about her and Sunny.

Craig on the podcast said in one of the last episodes I listened to that he wouldn't be letting his ten-year-old son watch any more of Raw very soon (this is late '97) and I can't blame him. But all the kids of every age were watching wrestling back then and I'm sure the people in charge knew it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

ECW crowds were loving horrible. They could give a match great atmosphere but they were also positively neanderthal in their outlooks. "She's a crackwhore" was a popular chant (I'm sure it was aimed at Sunny & at Francine at various times), or "get your tits out". And yeah, there were definitely outright homophobic chants. Rewatching ECW TV, it's really hard to not despise the ECW fans.

It was really a sign of the times and how far we've progressed in such a short time, but yeah, ECW crowds was just the worst of that poo poo distilled into a crowd that was celebrated for how irreverent and edgy they were.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

WCW crowds did this to Lenny and Lodi when they were the West Hollywood Blondes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jimmy Jacobs got a lot of really vile homophobic stuff yelled at him when ROH used to run shows in Manassas, but ROH fans used to be on par with ECW fans for ruining matches by trying to get themselves over too much.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davros1 posted:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Among all this hilarity was a Roman/Triple H match at Wrestlemania which was prefaced by Stephanie dressed as a Cenobite, screeching at the crowd that she was going to take all their souls to Hell. Crowd still booed Roman

One time the crowd booed Roman as he hugged a Make-a-Wish kid at ringside.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

At one of the RAWs after Mania (I think) a few years ago, the crowd was being especially lovely and chanted "You suck Uso" at Naomi and "You suck Cena" at Nikki Bella.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

It was really a sign of the times and how far we've progressed in such a short time, but yeah, ECW crowds was just the worst of that poo poo distilled into a crowd that was celebrated for how irreverent and edgy they were.

The weirdest ECW chant for me was always "(wrestler) TAKES IT UP THE rear end, DOO DA! DOO DA!" to the tune of "Camptown Races"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

At one of the RAWs after Mania (I think) a few years ago, the crowd was being especially lovely and chanted "You suck Uso" at Naomi and "You suck Cena" at Nikki Bella.

You say this as though tons of WWE crowds weren't inspired by them.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

EugeneJ posted:

The weirdest ECW chant for me was always "(wrestler) TAKES IT UP THE rear end, DOO DA! DOO DA!" to the tune of "Camptown Races"

this might be a fever dream but i remember the ecw crowd chanting "you can't even see your dick, can you, can you" to the tune of camptown races at a really fat guy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always got a kick out of the ROH crowd singing,"NIGEL'S FANBASE FALLING DOWN!" to the tune of London Bridge when he finally turned heel.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

this sign is actually at the Smithsonian now, i saw it when i visited a few years ago

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"You're gonna' get your loving head kicked in" is a chant that isn't offensive, really, but I just can't imagine how it started/caught on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was a soccer thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

It was a soccer thing.
That just raises further questions.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

rovert posted:

There's a Chris Jericho WCW promo around early 1998 or so that I wish I had the time/link for. With a huge F-word chant.

It was pretty common and I am sure WWE Network edited most out.

It would definitely be edited in any retrospective content. But original broadcasts are usually left intact on the Network, except in cases where a home video release was used as the master. For example Mike Tyson still calls Steve Austin a f* after their big Raw altercation in 1998.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Owen Hart is cancelled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjWc1AFWT3g&t=57s

Bushwhackers would lead the same chant at the Beverly Brothers in 1992. The Torch made an issue of it at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Let it be said that super smarky crowds like ECW and ROH certainly CAN be obnoxious self important assholes that expose the worst of us, but they can also sometimes be creative and fun.

I don't think its really that far removed from any of wrestling. I remember having serious problems with PWG awhile ago because of often you heard "fag" from the commentators and wrestlers. John Cena never went that far but is act during his terror run had a ton of homophobia. And even like one of Becky Lynch's TheMan tweets lately was really "slut shamey" and no one cared because she's a hot act.