Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I feel that the character themes in 4's Mercenaries are memorable too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTYG2T-IxBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ecDQmeO1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapp_Dn1OnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaBiqa5feTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxb2-eRhka8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Bonaventure posted:

I don't understand this. The A and B scenarios in the original game were barely connected as it is.
I remember being super disappointed when I was 14 and realizing that beyond some minor branching I would be solving all of the same puzzles in the same areas while somehow never running into the other character.

i'm not sure what don't you understand. i'm probably remembering them being more connected than they were since i haven't played the original in about 15 years, but even then the person who reviewed it upthread still said it was less connected so if it's basically missing what i remember as my favorite part, i'm okay with not playing it right away.

Toaster Beef posted:

Wanderer reviewed it and is claiming very little interaction.

Kibayasu posted:

We don’t know how interconnected anything is though? Reviews haven’t been specific enough (or at least the ones I saw) to know how anything beyond there actually being A and B.

yeah, this is what i was talking about, i just didn't know if there was more information on it yet. sounds like there's not, so i'll just keep an eye on the thread. thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Wanderer reviewed it and is claiming very little interaction.

There is, as far as I can tell, no real interaction between A and B. Rather Leon and Claire have their own stories and B is a sort of remixed/hard mode with some different puzzle solutions and minor changes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The best song in RE is the one for the best part of RE5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ywyZHhunA

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just finished replaying RE4. It was my first time since completing it originally on the Gamecube all those years ago. It holds up pretty well, but the aiming and controls are a bit awful by modern standards. The demo for 2 felt so much better by comparison.

I also forgot about the attack chopper section at the end. That was really fun, especially Mike, the Italian American pilot. RIP Mike.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Question about the RE2 remake: Some people are talking as if the Tyrant is present on your A playthrough, rather than just B, like in the original. Is this true?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

please use his proper name

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gunder posted:

Question about the RE2 remake: Some people are talking as if the Tyrant is present on your A playthrough, rather than just B, like in the original. Is this true?

........yes. but one character fights him more than the other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gunder posted:

The Tyrant is present in both playthroughs but is more omnipresent in one.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVIdy9_wqQw

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No but seriously “Tyrant” could mean Birkin in some minds as well.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Really? I always thought Birkin was just some G virus chud, not a tyrant.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That’s right but he is still a big monster with a giant exposed organ and a claw hand.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What is it with viruses putting giant eyes on things?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Where they’re going you need many eyes.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Also, one thing that stood out like a sore thumb from replaying 4: Leon and Luis come across as creepy misogynists at certain points. I don't remember this standing out to teenage me. We've come a long way since then.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

and yet Ada plays them all for fools anyway

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Women :smug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gunder posted:

That's only with the G-Virus and newer ones, there's no Eye in Team-Virus.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The grossest detail about the G is that Birkin's head is sloughed off his shoulders between mutations and absorbed into his chest, while a tumourous Mass sprouts and becomes his new head. Like Richard E.Grant in that movie, Hudson Hawk.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gunder posted:

Also, one thing that stood out like a sore thumb from replaying 4: Leon and Luis come across as creepy misogynists at certain points. I don't remember this standing out to teenage me. We've come a long way since then.

Yeah, I felt the same way in a replay. It sticks out in a bad way. They’re trying to do some sort of slick, flirty Kurt Russel bit, but the writing is so stiff that it reads as leery and demeaning.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I felt the same way in a replay. It sticks out in a bad way. They’re trying to do some sort of slick, flirty Kurt Russel bit, but the writing is so stiff that it reads as leery and demeaning.

I think the problem is it’s one sided, Ashley never gives any back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So help me if a Rem4ke cuts the ballistics line

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Leon is cool and good. And CORNY

I want a shop keeper sim where you play as the Merchant from RE4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Leon is cool and good. And CORNY

I want a shop keeper sim where you play as the Merchant from RE4

Reccetear but the dungeons are remixed areas from Resi4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kibayasu posted:

Trump?

Did he make a cameo in RE2?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gunder posted:

the big payout with G-Virus is that it constantly mutates poo poo over and over so getting extra eyeballs and arms and heads is par for the course, or at least that's what they tell you. I don't think many other G-Virus examples exist since after RE2 it was the Nemesis parasite monster and then all the Umbrella viruses took a backseat to foreign poo poo (Las Plagas) or hybrid poo poo (Ourobouros).

I think the biggest reason why the games got less scary/interesting in the subsequent entries was because the Ourobouros black gunk tentacle poo poo got a bit old, J'avo weren't as cool as zombies, and idk what the gently caress is even the standard with RE6 which just gives up and creates random ogres, giants, lizards, and bullshit. I would have liked to see more G-Type stuff because Birkin is horrifying and gross. The body horror aspects of G-Virus just felt more abhorrent compared to Wesker's tentacle poo poo or the hodgepodge of designs in RE6.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
instead of fighting parasitized spaniards, you have to race to the next spot via parkour. sell enough guns to leon, and you can unlock techniques such as running on water, sliding down buildings and the almighty suggestive trench coat gesture.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want that mercenaries costume where Leon wears the merchant as a backpack to actually get off the drawing board.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Panzeh posted:

The best song in RE is the one for the best part of RE5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ywyZHhunA

I started listening like wtf there's no memorable music in 5 (and I'm a 5 apologiser). But then it gets around to it... Yeah it's pretty great.

But really now. Let's not kid ourselves. The greatest RE ditty is my current ringtone.
https://youtu.be/SppXtBx5xEE
I will have to unlock or buy the classic soundtrack just for that

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DLC Inc posted:

the big payout with G-Virus is that it constantly mutates poo poo over and over so getting extra eyeballs and arms and heads is par for the course, or at least that's what they tell you. I don't think many other G-Virus examples exist since after RE2 it was the Nemesis parasite monster and then all the Umbrella viruses took a backseat to foreign poo poo (Las Plagas) or hybrid poo poo (Ourobouros).

I think the biggest reason why the games got less scary/interesting in the subsequent entries was because the Ourobouros black gunk tentacle poo poo got a bit old, J'avo weren't as cool as zombies, and idk what the gently caress is even the standard with RE6 which just gives up and creates random ogres, giants, lizards, and bullshit. I would have liked to see more G-Type stuff because Birkin is horrifying and gross. The body horror aspects of G-Virus just felt more abhorrent compared to Wesker's tentacle poo poo or the hodgepodge of designs in RE6.

Less scary/interesting describes Molded perfectly.

Edit:
On the subject of OST's and poo poo, this track is one that gave me the heebie-jeebies as a dumb kid and still gives me nostalgic chills when I think about my first few forays into the lab. The entire environment was just really alien and unsettling compared to the standard "Haunted House" or "Spooky Cave" setups the rest of the game had been using, and those naked fuckers were especially creepy with their bone heels clicking on the hard floor. Then there were those loving screams when they grabbed you!

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 24, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ultimately, it's a Japanese game. It has to become about tentacles eventually

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kibayasu posted:

Where they’re going you need many eyes.

Ahh, Kos... or as some say, Kosm...

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the problem is it’s one sided, Ashley never gives any back.

Doesn't she instantly call Louis out on it, and he only ever does it the once?

As for Leon, I mean, he does choke Ada at one point.... but he's also very obviously being mind-controlled. And she stabs him for it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kibayasu posted:

That’s right but he is still a big monster with a giant exposed organ and a claw hand.

I mean, aren't we all monsters walking around with claw hands and giant exposed organs at one point or another?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just had a thought, I'd love if one of the "Ghost Survivors" was one of the mercs from RE3 as a subtle nod to what else was going on in the city. Or just Carlos himself.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

As someone noted a bit earlier, the G-Virus effect on Birkin was disturbing as gently caress, mainly because you saw the standard half monster/half human that may contain humanity...only to see Birkin’s head sink into his torso looking lifeless while a brand new head sprouts.

That to me was one of the greatest and most horrific parts of RE2. Also as a kid I loved seeing the Nemesis slowly evolving as well. Knowing that what really hosed up his form was being dumped into a disgusting vat of corpses and chemicals meant for BOW disposal and loving surviving.

Those two events with the T and G Viruses has more of an impact on me as a fan...oh and Barry and Wesker too :v:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Going through RE4 again and somehow I always forget that the Water room in Salazar's honestly sends more Ganado at you then the cabin siege, except you have Ashley instead of Luis and also there's some crossbow dudes. It's a mess sometimes getting to that little room where you can bottleneck them.

I also love the way ashley gets trapped right after, and that in the phone conversation right after Salazar not only wasn't monitoring and triggering any of this but required leon to tell him. And he doesn't even know which one she might have fallen into so the cultists find her about the same time as Leon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

just had a thought, I'd love if one of the "Ghost Survivors" was one of the mercs from RE3 as a subtle nod to what else was going on in the city. Or just Carlos himself.
To be honest, I'm expecting "Ghost Survivors" to include a lot of the non-playable/villain characters in the game, like Marvin or unmutated Birkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’ll be interesting to see who the “USS personnel” they referred to is. It could be Hunk, it’d be weird to not just refer to him by name in that case, but Capcom is often coy when it comes to him. Here’s hoping we get the chance to play a new USS character, or an additional returning character.