Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Soricidus posted:

webdev in a nutshell

“now to debug this thing”

whoops can’t be done because everything in WebDAV is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Boiled Water posted:

“now to debug this thing”

whoops can’t be done because everything in WebDAV is awful

yeah and hugo is Go, so everything about it is "idiomatic" and esoteric. As long as all you're doing is a basic static site, you should be fine, though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Soricidus posted:

webdev in a nutshell

ask me about spending all day trying to make webpack run in less than a minute and a half (on every single ci test suite run)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
downsides of current job: webpack and the usual frontend webdev circus, the usual legacy garbage code lurking in the corners
upsides of current job: going out to lunch with coworkers and having an unexpectedly candid conversation about stress, burnout, and ending up not giving a gently caress at previous jobs, and everyone then unanimously agreeing that this is the least stressful and best managed programmer team any of us has ever been on

the application is sorta boring but it does useful things, the business model is sound and the users are happy with it. the old code is sorta bad, but we're slowly fixing it, one small step at a time. the new code is okay, for the most part. sometimes poo poo breaks, but it's gonna be okay. it's fine. we'll fix it together. most problems seem like minor gripes on a team like this and i'm really happy i ended up here :unsmith:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 23, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the feeling of not ever being worried about work is p great and definitely should be tried

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

this was the biggest failure of my programming career. i tried hard to fix it. u can’t.
Eh, you didn't make the turd. You just tried to polish it. Big difference there.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it's almost always faster to learn the correct tool than to do it the way you know how to do it and i always forget that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

our new offshore developer has spent ~a week doing something in a page that should probably have taken maybe a day which I could kind of forgive as he needs to learn the app stack but otoh it's juts basic mvc and he hasn't checked anything so idk what he's actually done.

this is gonna be fun I can feel it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
every time someone posts about webdev I feel good about my life choices

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

My first job was webdev and it was enough for me to say never again

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AggressivelyStupid posted:

My first job was webdev and it was enough for me to say never again

Same, only reading your posts.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hugo is really badly documented imo

there is a lot of documentation but it's extremely hard to follow to a static site generator lol

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
thesis: react
antithesis: hugo
synthesis: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I forgot about gatsby.

quote:

Get all the benefits of static websites with none of the limitations.

If I divide all the benefits by zero limitations, I get infinite benefits per limitation, right?? :v:

*throws web server off a bridge*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Finster Dexter posted:

I forgot about gatsby.

If I divide all the benefits by zero limitations, I get infinite benefits per limitation, right?? :v:

*throws web server off a bridge*

yeah sounds like this is the true promise of serverless

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

i've written several static site generators because i was too lazy to learn how to do the thing i wanted to do properly and that's probably the reason that staticgen.com lists almost 250 god drat static site generators

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

aardvaard posted:

i've written several static site generators because i was too lazy to learn how to do the thing i wanted to do properly and that's probably the reason that staticgen.com lists almost 250 god drat static site generators

never seen that site before. i'm...nonplussed

if i ever encounter someone who uses the term "jamstack" irl i might wake up in a jail cell with tooth chips in my knuckles

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i could see that being a useful word in the game jam community like maybe a suite of tools that make it easy to jam the games, but i refuse to google what it actually means because im sure its just a bunch of webdev js bs

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Corla Plankun posted:

i could see that being a useful word in the game jam community like maybe a suite of tools that make it easy to jam the games, but i refuse to google what it actually means because im sure its just a bunch of webdev js bs

yeah, no need to google it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im imagining a stack of jam sandwiches getting knocked over and its quite messy

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

imagine some 12-year-old who's "good with computers" (i.e., has a twitter) decides to learn programming. he spends six weeks studying online courses. 3 weeks on html/css, 2 weeks on javascript, and 1 week learning how to use jekyll. the entirety of his experience is writing pokemon fan pages that have never been hosted anywhere besides his own laptop. i mean good for him, and i hope he's having fun learning and all, but thanks to some conference promoter with an undiagnosed concussion, this kid gets invited to make a tedx talk about the future of web development, and he only has one hour to prepare. the presentation he would make is "jamstack"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

javascript, apis, and markup

what a normal person would call a "single page app" or "why is this page so god drat slow"

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
PHP code:

protected function getNewClass($class)
{
    return new $class();
}

I don't think I'm strong enough to ask why this exists in the codebase.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the only php i know is from people posting bad php and i have a lot of questions about the language

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
jamstack sounds like a poorly-named smash bros technique

oh wait I’m on a concision kick, lemme rephrase

jamstack sounds like a smash bros technique

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

ctps: yesterday I reconfigured a javascript/php api that does message authentication to use a new ajax library so i could fully jettison jquery from this project

i set up the javascript hashing function and the php hashing function to hash the stringified json and was legitimately surprised that both systems produced the same value

this is the first time i've had to work with some other company's homerolled "framework" and i'm just happy they let me nuke and rebuild the frontend as i see fit

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the only php i know is from people posting bad php and i have a lot of questions about the language

i hope this helps
http://news.php.net/php.internals/70691

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

amazing

you know if i had written my own scripting language i would probably clean up the interface a little before releasing it to the public but that's just me

e: i read a little bit more about its development and i think i'm being unfair. i can totally see developing this, releasing it for fun, and then seeing it grow unexpectedly.

although i'd still clean it up before releasing it because that's how i roll.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 24, 2019

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

pokeyman posted:

jamstack sounds like a poorly-named smash bros technique

oh wait I’m on a concision kick, lemme rephrase

jamstack sounds like a smash bros technique

this is the least concise version of this post

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

amazing

you know if i had written my own scripting language i would probably clean up the interface a little before releasing it to the public but that's just me

e: i read a little bit more about its development and i think i'm being unfair. i can totally see developing this, releasing it for fun, and then seeing it grow unexpectedly.

although i'd still clean it up before releasing it because that's how i roll.

that's how you roll in tyool 2019 but pretend it's 1994 and nothing you know about writing or releasing code exists in any appreciable way

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

i'm less concerned about the choices made in 1994 and more about the 25 years since then where they've failed to undo them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

that's how you roll in tyool 2019 but pretend it's 1994 and nothing you know about writing or releasing code exists in any appreciable way

i'd make sure my api was consistent tho

maybe if i really couldn't find a solution to my hashing problem.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Had a all hands call today about the buyout, now I have to fly to SoCal next week on Tuesday, come back Wednesday, and fly out to Brussels on Thursday. I’m going to die.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

aardvaard posted:

this is the least concise version of this post

no u

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

floatman posted:

PHP code:
protected function getNewClass($class)
{
    return new $class();
}
I don't think I'm strong enough to ask why this exists in the codebase.

cargo cult factory pattern?

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
I tried to understand. Here's a quick summary:
1. "We must unit test!"
2. Something something no dependency injection.
3. Something something "we can't change the calling method signature to inject dependencies!"
4. "I am so clever did you know I can do reflection in PHP?"
5. Use mocking framework + reflection to write unit test that have that protected method replaced by a stub.

Now, the joke is that there actually isn't any issue with changing the method signature to inject dependencies.
The biggest joke is that getNewObject is only used in the function like this:

PHP code:

$customersTable = $this->getNewObject ('customersTable');
$customer = $customersTable->get($customerId);
$customerBalance = $customer->getBalance();

If ($customerBalance < 0) throw new Exception()

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
You can just literally do that validation outside of the function OR just pass in a customer balance and not have to gently caress around with "dependencies" but REFLECTION GOOD!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

what a mess lol

the codebase im working on right now has the worst loving naming conventions or lack of same. its all codeline(), decoded, devDecoded (???), vs, kn

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also wtf at using lists and magic index numbers everywhere instead of dictionaries/hashmaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
what's the hivemind on bazel/nix? i'm looking at a devops position which involves moving software devs onto building with bazel and then deploying with nix - providing support, plugins, etc etc