Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

For moka, I find that the darker the roast, the finer the grind and the higher the heat has to be. It sounds to me like you should be using either a coarser grind (if the roast is light) or higher heat (if the roast is dark). For very dark roasts steam might start shooting out of the vent at the end of the brew, but it's ok, just remove the pot from the heat.

Also, it helps to keep the lid open until the brew is ready - to prevent the coffee from boiling. If it boils it'll always taste awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Grinding the beans myself definitely seems to be helping-- I've been going coarser on my infinity one by one until I get no grounds in the bottom charger (this may be a pipe dream as the infinity isn't that consistent) or until the coffee turns watery or sour, whichever comes first.

Should the water left in the bottom chamber be clear, or will it always be partially extracted coffee even if no grounds make it down there?

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

It should be clear. Sometimes a tiny bit of grounds (around 10 particles at most) end up there but if the water is colored something is definitely not right.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Hmm my water in the bottom part of the Moka pot is usually brownish. No complaining about quality of the brew and I have received great feedback such as "OMG this is better than Starbucks"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder if since I turn it off early some of the water in the puck runs back down the filter basket spout once the pressure subsides.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
I don't own a moka pot, but found this instructional video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI
Main takeaway: Coarse grind. Fill the moka pot with hot water so you aren't heating the dry coffee for as long once you put the moka pot on the burner.

Anyone tried the hot water trick?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

There's only one instructional video when it comes to coffee

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Knew what that was before I clicked it but I clicked it anyway

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Loco posted:

I don't own a moka pot, but found this instructional video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI
Main takeaway: Coarse grind. Fill the moka pot with hot water so you aren't heating the dry coffee for as long once you put the moka pot on the burner.

These are the directions I followed originally but I was doing it with lovely preground. I was trying different grinds the other day but I had to give up after several batches because I started to be able to see time.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been looking for a coffee storage container that can hold at least 28oz of whole bean coffee, and my research has pointed to toward the Planetary Airscape Kilo. Is that a good buy, or is there something else I should consider?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Splinter posted:

I've been looking for a coffee storage container that can hold at least 28oz of whole bean coffee, and my research has pointed to toward the Planetary Airscape Kilo. Is that a good buy, or is there something else I should consider?

I can't speak for the Kilo, but I've been using the medium Airscape for a year and some change with no issue. Just give it a hand wash/dry every once in a while in case it starts holding on to that old coffee smell.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just keep my beans in the foil bag thing they come in. I buy local, fresh roasted one-pound bags at a time. Each lasts me 10 days or so.

Should I be putting them in a vacuum sealed jar or something?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I mean, you can? I don't know how much you'll taste a difference. Try putting a bag in a sealed container while you use it up and see if it makes a difference for you. I tend to not worry overly unless I'm going to take a long time using a dry-good that will take longer to use like tea. But most loose teas come in bags that close these days.

Depends maybe how fresh those beans are and if they're still off gassing a lot, too?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Loco posted:

Imho its p mandatory

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I just keep my beans in the foil bag thing they come in. I buy local, fresh roasted one-pound bags at a time. Each lasts me 10 days or so.

Should I be putting them in a vacuum sealed jar or something?

If the bag is well sealed and keeping oxygen away (keep in mind the beans are offgassing a certain amount, definitely more the fresher roasted they are) that's the main thing. They will create their own oxygen-deficient environment and you're not gonna improve things much by vacuum packing them using home grade equipment. In that kind of storage they'll be fine for a week or two no problem.

The main thing you can do to preserve coffee is freezing it which will significantly slow or stop all the chemical reactions that are taking place. I used to vacuum pack and freeze individual individual doses (20g) of coffee when I got a fresh bag but honestly the only benefit I found for my one-two week consumption period was in grinding consistency and that comes from the freezing (with the individual dose vacuum packing avoiding any issues with repeated freeze/thawing and moisture). It was a tremendous pain in the rear end and I don't mind adjusting my grinder a handful of times every two weeks so I stopped bothering.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Loco posted:

I use it always, it makes a huge difference.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Loco posted:

Barista's hate it, this one trick will make great coffee!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

porktree posted:

Barista's hate it

That's just the stoner pour talking.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After 4 years my Bonavita variable kettle finally stopped working. Is there a consensus on a great pour over kettle right now? I thought about buying another one and they are around $60 right now. They used to be like $100.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/store/third-wave-water

quote:

When I make coffee at home, I more often than not use Third Wave Water™. The flavors of the coffee are more focused when not obscured by poorly or inconsistently treated municipal water. —Ben Brewer, Director of Quality Control

There are enough things to worry about when making coffee. Water quality doesn’t need to be one of them. But water, as much as any other variable, determines the deliciousness of your coffee. And while many cafes have fancy filtration systems in place, homes rarely do.

Third Wave Water™ provides a simple solution to a complex problem: Powdered minerals when combined with distilled water, make a water with ideal mineral content for coffee brewing. The company makes two kinds—one for pour overs, the other for espresso. Both yield delicious results.

But is it organic!?

heeeere, millenial, come and give us your money :henget:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Jan posted:

But is it organic!?

Their marketing is awful but I genuinely think the product improves the taste of my coffee. It's cheaper to make it yourself by buying minerals but it's such a pain and it works out to only a few cents per cup with third wave water. They always send me discount codes too.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I've been doing some roasting in my oven on a cookie sheet lately with some good success. Been about 2 months or so and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Not a huge fan of the smoke though so I was looking at a drum roaster with smoke suppression. Specifically the Behmore 1600Plus.

Anyone have any comments on how much smoke comes out? I could do that on my balcony if it's a tiny bit / on my counter since the exhaust fans in my kitchen are pretty decent. They're not good enough to prevent me from having to worry about the smoke alarm going off when I do it in the oven though.

Most reviews say it's awesome so I'm not too concerned that I'll be dissapointed, but I also don't want to spend 350 bucks for something that doesn't contain the smoke at all.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mr Newsman posted:

I've been doing some roasting in my oven on a cookie sheet lately with some good success. Been about 2 months or so and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Not a huge fan of the smoke though so I was looking at a drum roaster with smoke suppression. Specifically the Behmore 1600Plus.

Anyone have any comments on how much smoke comes out? I could do that on my balcony if it's a tiny bit / on my counter since the exhaust fans in my kitchen are pretty decent. They're not good enough to prevent me from having to worry about the smoke alarm going off when I do it in the oven though.

Most reviews say it's awesome so I'm not too concerned that I'll be dissapointed, but I also don't want to spend 350 bucks for something that doesn't contain the smoke at all.

It doesn’t throw a ton of smoke per se, but the smell is pretty strong and lingers in your house if you do it inside. I use mine on my back patio, so a balcony would do just fine too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr Newsman posted:

It lets smoke out, I dont' think there's any filtration. That said, one of these on a balcony with a nice breeze, or, even under a good exhaust fan is way preferable to doing it inside in an oven. There's a learning curve to getting the roast you want, tweaks. Plenty of youtubes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Oneiros posted:

If the bag is well sealed and keeping oxygen away (keep in mind the beans are offgassing a certain amount, definitely more the fresher roasted they are) that's the main thing. They will create their own oxygen-deficient environment and you're not gonna improve things much by vacuum packing them using home grade equipment. In that kind of storage they'll be fine for a week or two no problem.

The main thing you can do to preserve coffee is freezing it which will significantly slow or stop all the chemical reactions that are taking place. I used to vacuum pack and freeze individual individual doses (20g) of coffee when I got a fresh bag but honestly the only benefit I found for my one-two week consumption period was in grinding consistency and that comes from the freezing (with the individual dose vacuum packing avoiding any issues with repeated freeze/thawing and moisture). It was a tremendous pain in the rear end and I don't mind adjusting my grinder a handful of times every two weeks so I stopped bothering.

Glad you went down that rathole before me. I have a chamber sealer and could absolutely vac and freeze portions like this. But now I don’t have to!

My current grinder has been good, staying very close to dialed in with little drift.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Cool - that's what I was hoping to hear.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Tippecanoe posted:

Their marketing is awful but I genuinely think the product improves the taste of my coffee. It's cheaper to make it yourself by buying minerals but it's such a pain and it works out to only a few cents per cup with third wave water. They always send me discount codes too.

Is it cheaper than getting a jug and a Brita or BWT filter though?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

kim jong-illin posted:

Is it cheaper than getting a jug and a Brita or BWT filter though?

Probably not. My understanding is that a conventional filter will still leave too many minerals in your water, but honestly I haven't bothered to do a taste comparison as I do not own a water filter. I find the difference between tap water and third wave water (or even the water I've mineralized myself) to be striking, but I could just be used to very hard tap water. Maybe I'll buy a filter and do some tests; can't say I mind drinking more coffee.

There used to be a book called Water for Coffee that I wanted to read, but I just looked it up and I can't find it for sale anywhere now. D'oh! Anyway, here's some recipes from Matt Perger: https://baristahustle.com/blog/diy-water-recipes-the-world-in-two-bottles/

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Fun fact, if you like rice or home brewing beer you can benefit a lot from using fancied up water in those ventures too!

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

There's only one instructional video when it comes to coffee

Assumed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My wife bought me a coffee of the month club subscription through a place called Atlas. My first shipment back in January had me suspect because it was a pretty dark roast that tasted burnt. However, I discovered I could set preferences on their site and changed my subscription to only send me light/medium roasts and this month's coffee has been really fantastic.

I make it in my Chemex and in my Clever Coffee faux pourover thing and both ways give me a light chocolately taste. I think coming from drinking loads of tea that I prefer lighter roasts since the darker stuff just feels like it's masked by burnt taste and bitterness.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jan posted:

But is it organic!?

This is a thing in homebrewers. They'll buy salt packets in hopes they can recreate the water of a specific region in the world.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Tippecanoe posted:

iospace posted:

This is a thing in homebrewers. They'll buy salt packets in hopes they can recreate the water of a specific region in the world.

Yeah, I initially misinterpreted the product and thought it was some homeopathic bullshit like alkaline water. Give your water the health benefits of a well brewed third wave coffee!

Given that distilled water is bad for brewing and most tap water also is bad, I get it. After reading the essay on water that was posted in this thread, I get Crystal Spring bottled water for the espresso machine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Blue Bottle also used to sell $300 pajamas so my bullshit meter is definitely ringing when I browse their site.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

iospace posted:

This is true. Except homebrewers usually won't spend $15 for 12 packets of water additions. They'll spend $15 for mineral additions that will last them a few years at least and either use a water filtration system hooked up to their tap (RO or otherwise) or buy big jugs of water from the store. Some of us do get super spergy about water for brewing beer, but it's a small amount and usually isn't entirely necessary.

I imagine the same goes for brewing better coffee. Go a little way with it and you'll find a good difference. Throw lots of money at it and you'll only find a little more.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Jhet posted:

This is true. Except homebrewers usually won't spend $15 for 12 packets of water additions. They'll spend $15 for mineral additions that will last them a few years at least and either use a water filtration system hooked up to their tap (RO or otherwise) or buy big jugs of water from the store. Some of us do get super spergy about water for brewing beer, but it's a small amount and usually isn't entirely necessary.

I imagine the same goes for brewing better coffee. Go a little way with it and you'll find a good difference. Throw lots of money at it and you'll only find a little more.
I did start out buying the minerals myself and making the water, but that's a lot more work than just ripping open a sachet and pouring it into a jug of water. By my math it costs me about 12 cents a cup, not counting the discount codes they usually offer, which is a lot less than the beans I buy, and still makes a pourover cost a fraction of what it would at a coffee shop. I get that it's overpriced, but it's worth the convenience fee to not have to do that work myself.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

Fun fact, if you like rice or home brewing beer you can benefit a lot from using fancied up water in those ventures too!

Yep, I have an RO system for my brewing and I already have the necessary minerals. I've thought about coming up with my own water profile for a while now. I still may play around with it sometime to do some comparisons.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Mr Newsman posted:

I do most of my roasting in the garage. Door closed, there's definitely a strong smell that hangs around for a couple of days. If I open the door it's much better. Smoke wise, it's definitely less than heat gun/bowl, but there's still some.

A balcony will be fine, even without a breeze.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm enjoying my home roast while I can, President Schultz is banning everything but Pike Place day one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife’s keurig broke...this is the second or third one we’re on, and my other family members have complained about their keurigs breaking in the past.

They are gigantic pieces of poo poo. I don’t use it because I don’t like the coffee it makes and half the time it produces half the amount it should. I use a Moka pot or my aero press or my Nespresso machine if I need something quick.

But my wife is now a stay at home mom with our 3-month old, so convenience is key. Sometimes she just has time to fill her travel mug up at the keurig and then she’s taking care of our son until she can actually drink it.

99% sure we’ll just end up buying another keurig because there’s k cups that she likes and we’ll have it for a year or two before that one breaks.

Taking convenience and large travel mugs into account-is there any other option you guys would recommend? She only makes a cup a day. I’d love to get a super automatic but I think even doing an espresso and adding hot water would make her say no. At the end of the day she just wants a cup of coffee.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 30, 2019