Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wanted to mention that an unofficial ICSA is going on in C-SPAM
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823171

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It is coming.

Prepare.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can't cope with the suspense

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How long must we wait?!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

How long must we wait?!

Soon (TM).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

As Croatoan and Pretentious Food before her, Wroughtirony has escaped the feeble bonds of this world and left us without a chairman. If one of you is willing to step up and coordinate this, please PM your friendly local mod.

I have updated the list of ICSAs and NICSAs through current.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

"That [Wrought] is mad, ’tis true. Tis true, ’tis pity,
And pity ’tis ’tis true—a foolish figure,
But farewell it, for I will use no art.
Mad let us grant [her] then."

--Hamlet [sort of]

After a series of calamities involving my unceremonious invitation to exit from an enclave of GWS elders and my retirement from professional chefdom, followed by the rigors of employment in the nonprofit sector (and you thought cooking for a living was thankless) I took a long hiatus without a proper farewell. Should someone be brave enough to take up the N/ICSA mantle, ye shall have my blessing and I will happily edit the OP, or you can start over.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A year has passed.

You know what that means.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
I'd be into this! I'm probably more on the N side of ICSA but I'm game!

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Do these still happen? I’d totally be up for the NICSA. I’m by no means a pro, and am just starting to get into cooking.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

jvick posted:

Do these still happen? I’d totally be up for the NICSA. I’m by no means a pro, and am just starting to get into cooking.

I was just thinking of one this very minute. So good to have found my drift compatible. I must ponder a bit more before committing.

edit: poo poo wait I had a good idea 3 years, 3 months, and 1 day ago let me see how I feel about this when I'm not drinking brandy

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 24, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I really couldn't be bothered to run one but I think aspics would be a great theme.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Running them isn’t really much effort, it’s coming up with the theme and ponying up the prize that’s the issue. And also when you run it, you don’t get to take part!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect bucket didn't come back from his brandy so I will do it (unless someone has dibs, please PM me if so!) I won a NICSA a long time ago when I was a poor graduate student and got a nice sousvide out of a very generous prize. I will gladly pony up some nice prizes or amazon gift cards now that I am making a nicer salary (and still use that drat sousvide every weekend!). I would love the chance to pay that forward. I'm thinking beans as a NICSA theme.

If anyone has dibs or issues let me know, otherwise I will toss up a thread tomorrow with the theme etc. Would be nice to circulate it outside GWS to get some newbies involved.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That Works posted:

Suspect bucket didn't come back from his brandy so I will do it (unless someone has dibs, please PM me if so!) I won a NICSA a long time ago when I was a poor graduate student and got a nice sousvide out of a very generous prize. I will gladly pony up some nice prizes or amazon gift cards now that I am making a nicer salary (and still use that drat sousvide every weekend!). I would love the chance to pay that forward. I'm thinking beans as a NICSA theme.

If anyone has dibs or issues let me know, otherwise I will toss up a thread tomorrow with the theme etc. Would be nice to circulate it outside GWS to get some newbies involved.

You should do it! I also can't compete (coughcoughduetoalsowinningnicsacoughcough) but I love seeing what people make.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm incredibly down for beantime

Brawnfire posted:

(coughcoughduetoalsowinningnicsacoughcough)

anti-avatar synergy :confused:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there, like, a good way to get inspired for bean battle? I’ve wanted to do an ICSA for awhile, but I’m creatively challenged and I don’t know much about beans.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there, like, a good way to get inspired for bean battle? I’ve wanted to do an ICSA for awhile, but I’m creatively challenged and I don’t know much about beans.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sweet. Gonna use this.

Ok, thread is going up in a few.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thread up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880552

If you all don't mind maybe try to drop this in other subforums etc to get some more newbies / non-GWS regulars interested as well?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
GUYS I JUST STOPPED DRINKING

Nah kidding. I was actually just finishing my pm to LC when the loving power went out, then I spent two days thinking I had sent the PM, and that I was being ignored. Until I just checked my pms and realized that not only did I not send it, but the draft wasn't saved either. Hahaaaaaaaaa. But I'm excited for beans!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 27, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

GUYS I JUST STOPPED DRINKING

Nah kidding. I was actually just finishing my pm to LC when the loving power went out, then I spent two days thinking I had sent the PM, and that I was being ignored. Until I just checked my pms and realized that not only did I not send it, but the draft wasn't saved either. Hahaaaaaaaaa. But I'm excited for beans!

Was gonna say, I didn't -see- any new PMs. :)

That Works: I've added your NICSA to the list! You are officially NICSA 20, as I was holding off mine in hopes someone else would do one!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Awesome thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone opposed to me extending this thing through the end of February? There's a few potential entrants that would likely benefit from the extension and it doesn't seem like we are doing this very swiftly anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Your ICSA, your rules. I've extended a couple of mine if someone needed a bit more time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Someone should make a nicsa challenge. A $20 meal for 4. 3 courses, of your choosing. Don’t count oil, salt, pepper, or spices. The based on your honesty rule should be that it has to be oil, salt, pepper, or spices that you already own.

I can sort out a week of groceries on $20, so I’d be curious to know what people would come up with for a fancier meal for guests with a more generous budget. Don’t have the budget or the time to run it, but I think it’d be fun to see what we all come up with.

Re: different standards of living. I’m aware that some places have significantly more expensive food. It’s less of a hard limit where everyone shows their literal amount of money spent. I think a good barometer would be “or whatever is the equivalent of getting a fast food for 4 at the cheapest fast food place near you, with no fancy extras.”

It’s less about the literal amount of money, and more about challenging folk to cook on a budget. Near me, I can get a good falafel sandwich with some sides for a fiver. As it’s a nicsa, I think we can trust folk to be honest.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That could be pretty interesting. I think I could get there pretty handily if I was breaking down the costs of amounts actually used as opposed to full packages, but when staples have gotten so much more expensive I don't think I could swing it at full package prices.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

dino. posted:

Someone should make a nicsa challenge. A $20 meal for 4. 3 courses, of your choosing. Don’t count oil, salt, pepper, or spices. The based on your honesty rule should be that it has to be oil, salt, pepper, or spices that you already own.

I can sort out a week of groceries on $20, so I’d be curious to know what people would come up with for a fancier meal for guests with a more generous budget. Don’t have the budget or the time to run it, but I think it’d be fun to see what we all come up with.

Re: different standards of living. I’m aware that some places have significantly more expensive food. It’s less of a hard limit where everyone shows their literal amount of money spent. I think a good barometer would be “or whatever is the equivalent of getting a fast food for 4 at the cheapest fast food place near you, with no fancy extras.”

It’s less about the literal amount of money, and more about challenging folk to cook on a budget. Near me, I can get a good falafel sandwich with some sides for a fiver. As it’s a nicsa, I think we can trust folk to be honest.

Weird, I was just looking up this thread to propose 'cooking on a budget' as a challenge topic and you beat me to it. I wasn't going to suggest having a fixed budget, just that the judging be done on the basis of how appealing the meal looked vs cost per serving.

A fun challenge where there's one ingredient (money) you don't want to use.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It would be a fun challenge if done on a package cost basis instead of amount used. It would also likely force people to use the same ingredients in different ways. If you did a cost of what people used, one could just use whatever and be like, I only used 1 shaving of truffle :smug:

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 11, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
That was the idea. Basically, I’ve had weeks where I had spices, I had salt, I had oil. But company was coming over, and I needed to run down the shops, but I only had a $20 bill in my pocket, zero time to get to the ATM, and the goddamned store had a hosed up credit card machine. I’d go by full package cost because I don’t want the basic spices one normally has on hand to be part of that.

Again, it’s a nicsa, and I think most of us in here are just in search of a good time more than cut throat winning, so I’d trust someone if they said, for example, that they do indeed keep cardamom on hand. Because no matter how poor I’ve been, I’ve always had at least a few whole nutmegs, and a fair few cardamom pods knocking about. And every Iranian person, no matter how poor, will always have saffron on hand.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Look forward to spending the budget like I do my normal groceries, blowing half the budget on liquor :smug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

See, I could do that, but it'd be hard to do it as a three course because most of my go-tos for that sort of cooking are from when I was a poor rear end line cook living with six people, so they're mostly one dish meals.

In short, gently caress yeah let's do it. Although I do think it fits better as an ICSA than a NICSA, and Suspect Bucket's next up on the NICSA list.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 11, 2019

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
This sounds like a great idea, just do it like Dino said and make the limit something like "price of basic fast food meal for four in your area" or something and leave out the stuff that you buy a package once every few months and then use for a couple hundred meals per package.

Maybe ask people to actually post the costs for everything? Might be interesting to see how the relative costs of different ingredients compared to each other differ in different places.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Waci posted:

This sounds like a great idea, just do it like Dino said and make the limit something like "price of basic fast food meal for four in your area"
This is a good idea, the Big Mac Index already exists, so "Make a 3 course meal for 4 at the cost of 12 local Big Macs" (or some other number than 12 or some other burger) makes sense.

twodot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 12, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Waci posted:

Maybe ask people to actually post the costs for everything? Might be interesting to see how the relative costs of different ingredients compared to each other differ in different places.

That's part of the appeal for me as well, although I know people are sensitive about how much they want to reveal about their locations, so I wouldn't make posting receipts a requirement or anything.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
To avoid risk of burnout (which I saw happen with the last round of NISCA/ICSA threads), I will be posting my NICSA challenge APRIL 1ST, to give everyone breathing and planning room between challenges. And I am keeping it a secret till then, unless you can use the many clues I have sprinkled throughout my post history to guess what it is.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

To avoid risk of burnout (which I saw happen with the last round of NISCA/ICSA threads), I will be posting my NICSA challenge APRIL 1ST, to give everyone breathing and planning room between challenges. And I am keeping it a secret till then, unless you can use the many clues I have sprinkled throughout my post history to guess what it is.

Looking forward to it, though god knows if I'll have time during April unless I say gently caress it to family easter and you run it long enough. A few GWS posters are on the 90fm trivia team and that is the entire second weekend ofthe month.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nephzinho posted:

Looking forward to it, though god knows if I'll have time during April unless I say gently caress it to family easter and you run it long enough. A few GWS posters are on the 90fm trivia team and that is the entire second weekend ofthe month.

Well, it's a NISCA, so it's a one disher.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really hope the next NICSA theme is what I think it is, because if it is then I already have several kickass recipes for every course ready and waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I. M. Gei posted:

I really hope the next NICSA theme is what I think it is, because if it is then I already have several kickass recipes for every course ready and waiting.

The theme is non alcoholic beer. Every dish must incorporated non alcoholic beer in it.