Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
From what I remember, Stanley was fired before Brando even made it to set. Most of his experience was bad circumstance, like Brando being delayed by a death in the family and a hurricane submerging the set. His awful experience with an actor was with Kilmer, who was apparently worse than Brando. Once Frankenheimer took over is when the shoot really got underway and became the Kilmer and Brando shitshow. I remember there being a quote from Frankenheimer about Kilmer like "I wouldn't put that prick in my movie if it were called 'The Val Kilmer Story'".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Origami Dali posted:

From what I remember, Stanley was fired before Brando even made it to set. Most of his experience was bad circumstance, like Brando being delayed by a death in the family and a hurricane submerging the set. His awful experience with an actor was with Kilmer, who was apparently worse than Brando. Once Frankenheimer took over is when the shoot really got underway and became the Kilmer and Brando shitshow. I remember there being a quote from Frankenheimer about Kilmer like "I wouldn't put that prick in my movie if it were called 'The Val Kilmer Story'".

Kilmer was in the middle of a very nasty divorce at the time and was taking it out on everyone, and his career never really recovered.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Woof. Just saw The Endless. I had read on here that it had a connection with Resolution, but luckily I completely forgot, so when the scene showing the guys from Resolution showed up, my wife and I were like :aaaaa: . Weirdly, it's one of the Lovecraftianest movie I've ever seen that generally wasn't really very spooky? It was more of a sci fi movie with a few creepy scenes. I definitely liked it, but I don't know if the second half paid off as well as the first set it up to. I feel like it actually lost a lot of tension after the spooky moon eyes drawing and lake scene. Also, I'm confused about a few things. So, was the white outfit/apocalypse video with Mike real then? He seemed to remember them from it, but it seemed out of place. And Hal seemed to allude to that being why the not talking guy (Dave?) was wearing that white outfit. I also felt like the point of Anna being into Aaron was that it was going to reveal that they'd already looped and she somehow knew him when he was older but became young again, but that didn't really pay off. Was she just a creeper who was into him as a kid then? Or was Justin just trying to push Aaron away from the group with that dialogue? Perhaps we're just not meant to know all this stuff. Sucks to be 5 second suicide guy. Still fun though. It's been probably 5 years since I've seen Resolution, is that worth a rewatch?

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Who Can Kill a Child?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075462/

its a seriously disturbing movie for people who have had children die.

Also the first 8 minute intro has documentary footage of of childeren dying and dead

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

My local theater beat them to it a week after Mandy came out:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m fascinated by the late career Brando stuff. Reading off a diaper in Superman, showing up for Apocalypse Now super fat, the Dr. Moreau stuff - it’s all good.

His late career crazy rear end in a top hat phase was like 20 years long

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Blast Fantasto posted:

I’m fascinated by the late career Brando stuff. Reading off a diaper in Superman, showing up for Apocalypse Now super fat, the Dr. Moreau stuff - it’s all good.

My honest read of it is that Brando hated becoming “Marlon loving Brando,” and almost spitefully tried to sabotage that image in his twilight years. I think he saw himself as an artist (said with a fancy pronunciation), and saw the business of Hollywood as being somehow below him. I think he would have been much happier if he had stayed on stage, but money is money.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

frankee posted:

Who Can Kill a Child?

Also the first 8 minute intro has documentary footage of of childeren dying and dead

Wasn't this remade relatively recently?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

My local theater beat them to it a week after Mandy came out:

Hell yeah SUN RAY my favorite Mandy character

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wasn't this remade relatively recently?

Yeah, it's on Shudder.

It's like, fine.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

frankee posted:

Who Can Kill a Child?

This movie is really good, def a “hidden gem”. Reminds me almost of the wicker man in a way

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So that Cat People remake is pretty good right? I need to watch a few more classics before January ends and I guess it qualifies because it's a remake of a classic, but it's actually worth my time right?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

So that Cat People remake is pretty good right? I need to watch a few more classics before January ends and I guess it qualifies because it's a remake of a classic, but it's actually worth my time right?

It has a loving sick Bowie song at least

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched it for that and it didn’t disappoint! Also it’s very goopy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I watched it for that and it didn’t disappoint! Also it’s very goopy.

You just said the magic word because I love goop. It's what first made me fall in love with From Beyond, the glorious goop.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember scenes of McDowell covered in goop and then eating it. It’s gross but fun.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It’s worth a watch for a horror fan but I wouldn’t recommend it to a normal person and I wouldn’t describe it as actually good. It’s sleazy as gently caress though, I’ll give it that. It takes the sexuality that is artfully below the surface of the original and just blows it up into incest-bestiality. Dumb.

Also I agree that the Bowie song is great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThePagey posted:

Yeah, it's on Shudder.

It's like, fine.

I liked it, how do I view the original because I can't find it for VOD.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

In Search Of... was the beginning of my lifelong relationship with these shows as sleep aides. Then for years in college it was Histories Mysteries, and now it's Ancient Aliens.

In Search Of ... caused a lot of mental trauma to many kids in the 70s, including myself. The Bigfoot cabin siege, the dude standing at the end of the bed, etc. Maybe it helped that in the 70s parents would just let 8 year olds watch nearly anything if it was on TV. My parents would let me watch In Search Of and Project UFO and then wonder why I was poo poo scared to go camping or stay near a window after dark.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

He'll forever have my respect for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

quote:

Hello. My name is Sacheen Littlefeather. I'm Apache and I am president of the National Native American Affirmative Image Committee. I'm representing Marlon Brando this evening, and he has asked me to tell you in a very long speech which I cannot share with you presently, because of time, but I will be glad to share with the press afterwards, that he very regretfully cannot accept this very generous award. And the reasons for this being are the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry – excuse me [boos and cheers] – and on television in movie re-runs, and also with recent happenings at Wounded Knee. I beg at this time that I have not intruded upon this evening, and that we will in the future, our hearts and our understandings will meet with love and generosity. Thank you on behalf of Marlon Brando.

John Wayne threatened to beat her up after she went backstage, and there were audible boos during her speech. Brando's disdain for these hypocritical vampires makes all the sense in the world.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ruddiger posted:

He'll forever have my respect for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

John Wayne threatened to beat her up after she went backstage, and there were audible boos during her speech. Brando's disdain for these hypocritical vampires makes all the sense in the world.

And then it came out that she was an actress without a drop of native blood. Brando was said to have been furious that he got conned.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deadguy2322 posted:

And then it came out that she was an actress without a drop of native blood. Brando was said to have been furious that he got conned.

... that doesn't seem to be right? Unless wikipedia is straight-up lying to me.

My understanding is that her father was Apache, and although she was raised Catholic by her white grandparents on her mother's side, she still faced racial discrimination on the basis of her Indian heritage and was engaged in activism on behalf of native Americans before and after the Oscar speech. But that just suggests "complicated upbringing due to mixed heritage" not "she's a fraud."

Here's an article that goes into a bit more depth:

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/archive/a-recent-tv-slur-revives-debate-about-sacheen-littlefeather-f_wup4setkiFuOU5vPPisw/

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

... that doesn't seem to be right? Unless wikipedia is straight-up lying to me.

My understanding is that her father was Apache, and although she was raised Catholic by her white grandparents on her mother's side, she still faced racial discrimination on the basis of her Indian heritage and was engaged in activism on behalf of native Americans before and after the Oscar speech. But that just suggests "complicated upbringing due to mixed heritage" not "she's a fraud."

Here's an article that goes into a bit more depth:

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/archive/a-recent-tv-slur-revives-debate-about-sacheen-littlefeather-f_wup4setkiFuOU5vPPisw/

Maybe more accurate info came out since the article I read in the 90s, but what I had read was that she had no native status and the organization she claimed to represent was a sham.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ruddiger posted:

John Wayne threatened to beat her up after she went backstage.

What a class act.

No but seriously gently caress that son of a bitch, he really doesn't deserve to be an icon and I hope some day his whole legacy is forgotten.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadguy2322 posted:

Maybe more accurate info came out since the article I read in the 90s, but what I had read was that she had no native status and the organization she claimed to represent was a sham.

That sounds like a typical smear.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

john wayne was a scumbag and i have on good info that marloj brando himself had personal sex with dr moreau!!!!!!

Eignarom
Dec 31, 2008
I'm caught up on this version of the thread now, but was way behind on the old one. Did you guys talk about the Carpenter Brut album Leather Teeth's music videos at all? The whole album is up on Youtube now and it's all pretty awesome, but my favourite is definitely Monday Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1zbbosiTQ
It's basically a supercut of 80s slashers highlights. I caught them live last year and when this song/video came on I started shrieking to my friend about all the movies I recognized in it but he was definitely not as excited as I was. What are some other good horror inspired music videos aside from the obvious Thriller?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That foo fighters video with the evil dead cabin and the giant hand.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Eignarom posted:

I'm caught up on this version of the thread now, but was way behind on the old one. Did you guys talk about the Carpenter Brut album Leather Teeth's music videos at all? The whole album is up on Youtube now and it's all pretty awesome, but my favourite is definitely Monday Hunt:
It's basically a supercut of 80s slashers highlights. I caught them live last year and when this song/video came on I started shrieking to my friend about all the movies I recognized in it but he was definitely not as excited as I was. What are some other good horror inspired music videos aside from the obvious Thriller?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeG-6bpeUkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDQbRkqroc
Edit: I mean how do you beat Worlock https://letterboxd.com/inmostlight/list/skinny-puppy-worlock/

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 25, 2019

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds like a typical smear.

It was in an article in Penthouse, so that’s not impossible. They did have that Goldman scumbag who wrote Wired writing for them, so their standards were obviously more calibrated to selling magazines than 100% accuracy. The organization with not actually existing, or the woman not really being associated with it was reported by 60 minutes in a piece on Brando’s decline in the early 90s as well, though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Eignarom posted:

What are some other good horror inspired music videos aside from the obvious Thriller?

It's probably cheating going with a Ghost video, but with this one I'm seeing some clear references.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ao4t_fe0I

To start, a little 70s era asthetic with the title. Hints of Carrie, a Shelly Duvall vibe off the Mom, some Fear No Evil hysteria in the audience, and I can't shake the feeling that the principal might've been in some 70s/80s Italian horror I've seen.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Eignarom posted:

There were a few Dio videos that had some horror touches, like Last in Line.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Deadguy2322 posted:

It was in an article in Penthouse, so that’s not impossible. They did have that Goldman scumbag who wrote Wired writing for them, so their standards were obviously more calibrated to selling magazines than 100% accuracy. The organization with not actually existing, or the woman not really being associated with it was reported by 60 minutes in a piece on Brando’s decline in the early 90s as well, though.

What organization was this?

AIM seems like it'd be the best fit and they exist.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

It was AIM, but I'm not sure if she was representing them during the speech.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacheen_Littlefeather

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Just a reminder that Brando conspired to sexually assault a actress with the director of Last Tango in Paris and did in fact assault her.

Before everyone trips over trying to say how cool he was.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Finally got around to seeing the original Maniac last night, loved it. Very sleazy and greasy, and a great New York movie too.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

FreudianSlippers posted:

It is in the blockquote Ruddiger posted upthread.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Blood quantum is genocide.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Her dad is half Apache-half Yaqui and she was involved in the Alcatraz occupation a couple of years before and the only reason anyone disputes her cred is because to a lot of people if you're multi-ethnic or biracial nothing you say counts. Her speech just sounds like nervous-word-salad conflating a few organizations that all did exist, but more realistically, since her statement was a truncation of a 15 page speech Brando had written, it was probably something new that had been planned to be announced with that. But IIRC she only got to read some of the whole speech to the press after and it's not in print anywhere.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Finally got around to seeing the original Maniac last night, loved it. Very sleazy and greasy, and a great New York movie too.

That movie rules.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Hollismason posted:

Just a reminder that Brando conspired to sexually assault a actress with the director of Last Tango in Paris and did in fact assault her.

Before everyone trips over trying to say how cool he was.

Brando and Jodorowsky both raped actresses on film in the name of art.

Disgusting degenerate shitbags.