Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, turns out exploding bullets and a head shot doesn't exactly make it easy to turn a dude in for a bounty. So... much ... blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Clown posted:

Did you explain to him that it was nothing personal you just needed to rob four stores in one day?

We cool. He was a loyal NRA type. Knew my penchant for gun violence, sold me more guns anyway.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Which character are you? Marston drowns immediately, probably to keep you from trying to swim to Guarma or something

But why did you have to go in the water to fish?

I beat the game so I'm playing as Marston. Pretty interesting since I forgot that John could not swim in RDR1

The reason why I wanted to get in the water to fish? Because I used the dynamite to try to get the fishing trophy.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hobo Clown posted:

The real plan was the misters we howdy'd along the way

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

hup posted:

It’d be great if online let me actually do stranger missions instead of just them not happening

Seems like these are working way more often as of the last day or so

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Boo This Man posted:

I beat the game so I'm playing as Marston. Pretty interesting since I forgot that John could not swim in RDR1

The reason why I wanted to get in the water to fish? Because I used the dynamite to try to get the fishing trophy.

its pretty awesome that Arthur is actually way more competent than John at everything

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a list of the missions and what chapter they are in? Looking to start early in chapter 3 and just loving chill for... well, ever.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Colonel Whitey posted:

its pretty awesome that Arthur is actually way more competent than John at everything

The wrong kidcynical outlaw died

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wolfsheim posted:

The wrong kidcynical outlaw died

Well, technically...

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Arthur is great, but if you played “Jim Milton Rides Again” and are still going “durrrrrr John sucks” then I don’t know what to tell you

I’ve seriously been loving the epilogue, it’s a great wrap-up to the series (given what happens in RDR1)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Did anyone else do this?

(very mild spoilers) That mission where the bounty hunters hide in the corn. The game wants you to watch birds being startled to find them but I just chucked dynamite randomly into each field.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sheen Sheen posted:

Arthur is great, but if you played “Jim Milton Rides Again” and are still going “durrrrrr John sucks” then I don’t know what to tell you

I’ve seriously been loving the epilogue, it’s a great wrap-up to the series (given what happens in RDR1)

Yeah I actually really liked the epilogue to the point that I wished the part where John is struggling to live a quiet life as a field hand went on a little longer. It was such a neat contrast to the crazy nonstop action set pieces of the prior chapters that I really wanted to see more of it.

And yes, Jim Milton Rides Again? is an amazing mission, although the amount of times after that that he accidentally uses his real name practically had me yelling at the screen. I mean for Christ's sake, John.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
What the hell happened with the carriage here? I don't understand why everyone started fighting me either.
Also disregard my furious button-mashing, I normally don't record myself but forgot that my PS camera was on.

Another question: I caught one of the legendary fish, but I was standing on a rock in the lake and could only go to my horse swimming. Naturally I lost the fish and it floated in between a crack in the rocks. I tried getting it out by walking into it, dynamiting it a bunch, but couldn't get it out. I tried passing time by sleeping nearby. The fish doesn't degrade or anything, but now I can't mail it to the collector. Have I screwed myself out of a trophy/quest?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Never seen that stranger event, but it sounds like something exploded by the scripting and it was meant to spook the carriage horse, and you happened to be on the way. You trampled a guy when the crash happened (see the dead body on the ground next to you when you got up) and his friends are programmed to react at you even if you didn't really mean to run over their NPC friend.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 25, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I started the game over again to take my time with the first couple chapters and just found Dutch's dramatic speech that he wrote for chapter 2. I liked how he wrote in the dramatic pauses and stuff and took out all his references to god.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Sioux posted:

What the hell happened with the carriage here? I don't understand why everyone started fighting me either.
Also disregard my furious button-mashing, I normally don't record myself but forgot that my PS camera was on.

Another question: I caught one of the legendary fish, but I was standing on a rock in the lake and could only go to my horse swimming. Naturally I lost the fish and it floated in between a crack in the rocks. I tried getting it out by walking into it, dynamiting it a bunch, but couldn't get it out. I tried passing time by sleeping nearby. The fish doesn't degrade or anything, but now I can't mail it to the collector. Have I screwed myself out of a trophy/quest?

I got attacked by a cougar while riding with a legendary fish, died and it was gone. Eventually it wasn't crossed out on the map and I just had to go recatch it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Finally beat both Epilogues and attained 100% completion. Completely burned out and will never play it again.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

big trivia FAIL posted:

Finally beat both Epilogues and attained 100% completion. Completely burned out and will never play it again.

You're burned out? I can't imagine why 🤣

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Donovan Trip posted:

You're burned out? I can't imagine why 🤣

hah, i know. i thought about re-playing as just a complete son of a bitch evil Arthur, but i'm done.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I can't wrap my head around how they thought the dueling mechanic would be understandable to all players. I had to look up how this poo poo works and the process of slowly holding down a button but then pressing and releasing it immediately before the meter fills up only to then start aiming in dead eye is mind-blowingly illogical, what the hell.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Palpek posted:

I can't wrap my head around how they thought the dueling mechanic would be understandable to all players. I had to look up how this poo poo works and the process of slowly holding down a button but then pressing and releasing it immediately before the meter fills up only to then start aiming in dead eye is mind-blowingly illogical, what the hell.

Yeah I dont understand why they changed it from the first RDR. I usually just hit r2 at the beginning and swing the r stick while shooting and hope for the best and retry if i fail.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really liked it in rdr but it’s awful here yeah.

At least it doesn’t come up that often? Although that means that enough time passes in between each duel that you forget how to do it each time

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
It's quite an accomplishment that the absolute worst part about a game about the wild west, gunfighting, and duels is the gunplay.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It took me at least thirty hours to realize you can duel at any time by slightly holding r2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

It really just requires too much finger dexterity for a mechanic so simple. The whole game does imo. It's especially egregious because RDR1 had a dueling system that felt much more like a... duel.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

It took me at least thirty hours to realize you can duel at any time by slightly holding r2

You can what now

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Donovan Trip posted:

Which is by far the best way to handle the situation when you hear the line "yeah, just me." btw

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Donovan Trip posted:

what the gently caress, are you serious

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I actually think the duelling here is an IMPROVEMENT on the first game!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a great feeling too, to be stopped by some fools and to slowly inch your hand down to your gun belt, the camera pulling in...

Then blam, you waste everyone before they can even draw. :clint:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Palpek posted:

what the gently caress, are you serious

Rockstar is terrible at communicating what their games can do and how they work

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Donovan Trip posted:

Figured this out when my janky R2 button on one of my controllers kept causing this at random.

I hope this is the last game with their lovely auto-lock gun mechanics.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The dueling in this game is terrible but I dunno, I like the gunplay once I got into the rhythm of it. Although maybe it's just because I use the guns that kill everyone with 1-2 shots to the body and i do not try to aim

It handles lever and bolt-action guns in a way that's pretty satisfying once you get the hang of it (I won't claim to call it good or effective compared to any other game, just that it feels good, to me, to use)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I just don't like how I can be fighting in dense forest at night and will auto-lock on a guy who I literally can't see.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does anyone have a list of the missions and what chapter they are in? Looking to start early in chapter 3 and just loving chill for... well, ever.

if you just want a listing you can scroll down this page on the ign wiki guide it has all the chapter mission titles

https://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/Walkthrough

opening paragraphs for each chapter listing recaps the previous chapter and may be considered spoilers

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 26, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The law leaning against Arthur is annoying me. I go out of water using a ladder but it turns out there's a guy sitting on top of it who I bump into which "disturbs the peace" and gets police to come and shoot me to death with no chance of surrender. Apparently bumping into a guy on the street would get police with guns on my rear end in XIXth century America...

On the other hand I ride a horse into town, run over a chicken and the game goas all out Skyrim on me with some guy shooting me with a rifle and aggroing the entire place against Arthur and defending against these lunatics reports me for murder. How? They should really revise some of these scripts.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The dueling is great as a concept. It's absolutely something that should be possible whenever you want to do it. I don't have any issue with the first part, it feels very intentional slowly pressing the trigger to start some poo poo. It's the actual draw+fire that still confounds me, still feels like I'm just wildly aiming and button mashing and never quite pulling off a stylish headshot, or shooting the gun out of the other guy's hand. The last moment always feels off compared to the rest of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was probably doing it wrong in some way, but the few times I got into a duel it really was as simple as gently pushing the r2 key so the thing started to fill up, then just clicking it properly when I wanted to shoot. Never really seemed to be any issue but maybe I was missing some deeper aiming section or something? In general I found doing the slow fill caused the gun to basically point exactly where I wanted it to be anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here is how the dueling specifically works, step by step:

1. You initiate the duel by starting to gently hold R2. This will begin filling up the little circle in the corner.
2. It takes a second for the opponent to acknowledge the duel, and then they will start drawing in real time.
3. This means you have to balance not accidentally pressing R2 all the way while filling the circle fast enough that they haven't drawn on you by the time it's full.
4. You have to press R2 all the way down before the circle fills all the way up to set off Dead-Eye, otherwise the game will be dumb and put you in it at regular speed.
5. Let go of R2 after pressing it to draw, then aim with the thumbstick, then press R2 (or mash if you prefer) to blow the opponent away. The amount of time you have to do this is based on where they're at in their draw when you press R2, and how slow time moves is based on how full the circle was.
6. Sometimes you can shoot the guy's gun instead for a non-lethal victory, sometimes you can't, there is never any indication of this and the only way to know is to try it and get killed if it doesn't work.

The game explains absolutely none of this whatsoever except for step 1 btw.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I might be really wrong here, but I also believe that to disarm enemies now you need to shoot their hand, as opposed to the gun itself as you would do in RDR1.