Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'd love to dunk on ESPN, I do it all the time, it's an awful, biased network that has been ultimately terrible for sports the last ten years, but they still have sooooo much free streaming, including everything a general audience would be interested in and a lot more. ESPN+ is them basically picking up and steaming poo poo that only a tiny tiny amount of people care about, and before ESPN+ was being preyed upon by various startups trying to hold those people who wanted to watch that stuff for hostage at ever increasing costs to stream. ESPN putting all that stuff in once place at an affordable cost is actually welcome.

Well, other than the recent addition of UFC, but that's more about them than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

If they care about hardware failure rates, it's not Surface Pro's.

Back when Zunes were a thing, stories were Microsoft campus employees would hide their iPods and have a decoy Zune in case a manager asked what they were listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrpS2KhiXAM

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

vyst posted:

Ahhh, ESPN taking the Disney approach

ESPN is ownes by Disney, so

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

ESPN is ownes by Disney, so

Thats the Joke.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

Ahhh, ESPN taking the Disney approach

Are you shocked that ESPN is owned by Disney?

e:fb

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rick posted:

I'd love to dunk on ESPN, I do it all the time, it's an awful, biased network that has been ultimately terrible for sports the last ten years, but they still have sooooo much free streaming, including everything a general audience would be interested in and a lot more. ESPN+ is them basically picking up and steaming poo poo that only a tiny tiny amount of people care about, and before ESPN+ was being preyed upon by various startups trying to hold those people who wanted to watch that stuff for hostage at ever increasing costs to stream. ESPN putting all that stuff in once place at an affordable cost is actually welcome.

Well, other than the recent addition of UFC, but that's more about them than anything else.

I’m going to have to agree with this because right now I’m already paying $10/mo just for WillowTV. So even if I found only one other sport to watch I’d come out ahead

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The Zune hardware was great :colbert: The Surface RT at the bottom of my cupboard? Now that was trash. Sturdy but trash.

Meanwhile, Moviepass is still alive, though HMNY's stock price is going to close below 1c any day now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Zune HD is one of my favorite places of hardware of all time

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My favorite thing about the Surface line is that the Surface 1 and 2 use a different power connector than later models and is used by literally nothing else on earth and they stopped making them as soon as the Surface 3 came out so if yours goes bad your only option is ebay.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Basticle posted:

My favorite thing about the Surface line is that the Surface 1 and 2 use a different power connector than later models and is used by literally nothing else on earth and they stopped making them as soon as the Surface 3 came out so if yours goes bad your only option is ebay.

...wait you’re using a Surface?

There’s your problem.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Basticle posted:

Worse yet they're terrible power connectors.

I have an original Surface Pro I bought off a friend. The hardware is beautiful and capable, but he'd burnt through two magnetic power connectors in two years. The magnets holding the plug are apparently too strong and repeated connections and reconnections tear the plastic parts from it's glue. So a year later Microsoft announces a recall on their power bricks but no, it's only the part that plugs into the wall. They think having to replace your magnetic part every year is perfectly normal.

Also battery replacements are brutal. Surfaces make Apple laptops look good in terms of repair-ability. Last I checked it would have cost $400 for Microsoft to replace the battery.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Worse yet they're terrible power connectors.

I have an original Surface Pro I bought off a friend. The hardware is beautiful and capable, but he'd burnt through two magnetic power connectors in two years. The magnets holding the plug are apparently too strong and repeated connections and reconnections tear the plastic parts from it's glue. So a year later Microsoft announces a recall on their power bricks but no, it's only the part that plugs into the wall. They think having to replace your magnetic part every year is perfectly normal.

Also battery replacements are brutal. Surfaces make Apple laptops look good in terms of repair-ability. Last I checked it would have cost $400 for Microsoft to replace the battery.

My friend found this guy on Craigslist who works out of a garage who managed to replace his battery for cheap without cracking the screen, which he stressed over and over, is absolutely unheard of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

vyst posted:

The Zune HD is one of my favorite places of hardware of all time
I think MS achieved a really great step forward in PMDs with the HD. Beautiful screen, intuitive interface, and some cute touches like the Gyro reacting to your movements with a relatively elegant shell.

Unfortunately Apple obliterated the PMD market like a month later and that's all she wrote.

Still pissed my HD was stolen a few years back. I'd love to have one again.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

uvar posted:

The Zune hardware was great :colbert: The Surface RT at the bottom of my cupboard? Now that was trash. Sturdy but trash.

Meanwhile, Moviepass is still alive, though HMNY's stock price is going to close below 1c any day now.

the zune was good as hell

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apple absolutely dominated the music player market. I think the iPod had a 90% share for several years and once they started putting out flash based players everyone else was largely toast. It didn't matter how good the Zune was. At least the interface lived on for a few more years with Windows Mobile.

Apple killing their iPod in favor of the iPhone is pretty remarkable. Most companies wouldn't have cannibalized a growing and hugely profitable product over something new. For instance Apple's first attempt at a music phone was the Motorola ROKR and it was truly terrible and full of lovely compromises. That's usually what happens. The industry leader plays it safe and then someone else disrupts the market. For Apple to do it to themselves was not typical.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

...wait you’re using a Surface?

There’s your problem.

no but i worked at a store that sold them which means i got yelled at later

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

It didn't matter how good the Zune was.
Meh. I never wanted in on the Apple ecosystem so I had a Dell branded PMD and then a Zune. There was room in the margins for something, though yeah it never would have had iPod numbers.

quote:

Apple killing their iPod in favor of the iPhone is pretty remarkable.

I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall there. Diminishing growth for the iPod, and shuttering it would likely spur people to adopt iPhone.
No idea if that's why, but makes sense to me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Meh. I never wanted in on the Apple ecosystem so I had a Dell branded PMD and then a Zune. There was room in the margins for something, though yeah it never would have had iPod numbers.

I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall there. Diminishing growth for the iPod, and shuttering it would likely spur people to adopt iPhone.
No idea if that's why, but makes sense to me.

It was a sound business move, but this thread teaches us companies don't make sound business moves.

Like everything Sony does in regards to proprietary media. Even if you've made a better product, there's no guarantee you'll market it correctly.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Apple absolutely dominated the music player market. I think the iPod had a 90% share for several years and once they started putting out flash based players everyone else was largely toast. It didn't matter how good the Zune was. At least the interface lived on for a few more years with Windows Mobile.

Apple killing their iPod in favor of the iPhone is pretty remarkable. Most companies wouldn't have cannibalized a growing and hugely profitable product over something new. For instance Apple's first attempt at a music phone was the Motorola ROKR and it was truly terrible and full of lovely compromises. That's usually what happens. The industry leader plays it safe and then someone else disrupts the market. For Apple to do it to themselves was not typical.

This is a good post.

The Zune HD was hands down, I'll argue, the best portable music player to hit the market, full stop. Compact, high battery life, slick interface and beautiful screen. You can tell how many lessons the MS hardware team took in from the rest of the world when they were making it. On top of that the Zune pass subscription was very generous and arguably set the stage for modern music streaming services.

"What if we just turned that into an app though" prettymuch ripped the belly right out of that product though. Why pay a hundred or two dollars for an MP3 player when your phone has an app that's good enough and free?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

AutoArgus posted:

This is a good post.

The Zune HD was hands down, I'll argue, the best portable music player to hit the market, full stop. Compact, high battery life, slick interface and beautiful screen. You can tell how many lessons the MS hardware team took in from the rest of the world when they were making it. On top of that the Zune pass subscription was very generous and arguably set the stage for modern music streaming services.

"What if we just turned that into an app though" prettymuch ripped the belly right out of that product though. Why pay a hundred or two dollars for an MP3 player when your phone has an app that's good enough and free?

The iPod touch had been out for years before the ZuneHD and blew it out of the water on features. What killed the ZuneHD was that it was obsolete before it even hit the market.

I own 2.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

AutoArgus posted:

Why pay a hundred or two dollars for an MP3 player when your phone has an app that's good enough and free?
Totally agree with your post, the answer to that question (for me, and with the benefit of hindsight) is "iTunes".

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

The iPhone was literally introduced as "iPod+cell phone". It was an upgrade, not a replacement.

Apple's brilliance was in pitching smartphones as a gadget for cool people who like iPods instead of boring people who want to send work emails on vacation.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol I remember an ex crying when her Zune HD didn't boot anymore after she let the battery drain. i did my best to diagnose it, but it just never started again. that was my somewhat squirtless Zune experience

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lavaca posted:

The iPhone was literally introduced as "iPod+cell phone". It was an upgrade, not a replacement.

Apple's brilliance was in pitching smartphones as a gadget for cool people who like iPods instead of boring people who want to send work emails on vacation.

No, it was introduced as an ipod and dumbphone replacement. the focus on the music player and syncing with itunes in the demo was a big clue.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
They were definitely going with the "your next iPod should be an iPhone" angle, though that didn't really happen for most people until the iPhone 4.

Thread freebie: Blackberry is somehow still in business in 2019. Do they actually do anything other than license the Blackberry trademark to TCL?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had a Zune, I quite liked it, until it would stop working for like 3 days at a time if my clothes were producing too much static.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I still use my ZuneHD and that thing is fantastic little device because if I want to watch several hours or movies I dont want to burn my phone battery to nothing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

lavaca posted:

That and also making a smartphone that wasn't ugly, clunky, and slow. Don't forget, the app store was game changing at a time when carriers were absolute gate keepers and charged obscene rates for things you'd take for granted, like setting ring tones or making fart noises.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 07:52 on Jan 25, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

That and also making a smartphone that wasn't ugly, clunky, and slow. Don't forget, the app store was game changing at a time when carriers were absolute gate keepers and charged obscene rates for things you'd take for granted, like setting ring tones or making fart noises.

Wasn't the app store from the iPhone 3? I remember the original iPhone was terrible but enough people bought it that a couple of years later it managed to actually change the world.

Granted I was dirt poor at the time and couldn't afford a phone so I'm not actually sure how good or bad it was.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Wasn't the app store from the iPhone 3? I remember the original iPhone was terrible but enough people bought it that a couple of years later it managed to actually change the world.

Granted I was dirt poor at the time and couldn't afford a phone so I'm not actually sure how good or bad it was.

The OG iPhone was anything but terrible.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Don Gato posted:

iPhone 1 had the first usable web browser in that form factor, and enough ‘anywhere’ data access to use it in a casual way. The fact it was also a phone was secondary.

The original plan was that all the apps would just be websites, with the phone doing very little and servers doing all the heavy lifting. This was a decent idea, but apps made this way proved to be slow and unreliable. Apple eventually realized if they let people develop native apps they could take a cut of the money, and do it in a way that still guaranteed them complete control over the device experience, something they had fought all the carriers over extensively.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lavaca posted:

They were definitely going with the "your next iPod should be an iPhone" angle, though that didn't really happen for most people until the iPhone 4.

Thread freebie: Blackberry is somehow still in business in 2019. Do they actually do anything other than license the Blackberry trademark to TCL?

Blackberry makes the software that runs a lot of car infotainment systems.

But beyond that, yes. They usually just outsource phone production to TCL and offer a ‘secure’ version of Android. They appear to have downsized to a form that can survive, so kudos to them for finding a decent balance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

Apple killing their iPod in favor of the iPhone is pretty remarkable.

But Apple still sells iPods?

https://www.apple.com/ca/ipod-touch/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Killing in that the ipod was their main thing, and iphone sales cannibalized most of that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

But no one buys them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Iron Crowned posted:

But no one buys them

When I hear “manufacturer killed product”, I don’t think of the manufacturer continuing to release new versions, even if the product doesn’t sell as well as the manufacturer’s other products. Nobody bought Windows phones, but I didn’t think of Microsoft as killing them until pretty recently.

Maybe my understanding of the usual usage is flawed though!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

When I hear “manufacturer killed product”, I don’t think of the manufacturer continuing to release new versions, even if the product doesn’t sell as well as the manufacturer’s other products. Nobody bought Windows phones, but I didn’t think of Microsoft as killing them until pretty recently.

Maybe my understanding of the usual usage is flawed though!

Apple gut shot the iPod and it's been bleeding out for a decade. The iPod Touch is the only 'iPod' left and it's rarely updated and probably sells like rear end.

The point that I was trying to make is that market leaders rarely provide consumers with a choice that impacts their current cash cow. They'll dip their toes into a new platform, but usually internal power struggles mean it gets nerfed to insulate other products. Sony is the loving king of this. They'll put out a fantastic piece of hardware, but their music, TV, and film divisions will scream if there's a chance it can play pirated material. I think it was only recently that their digital Walkmen could play MP3's natively.

Google deals with this on a smaller scale when it comes to privacy protections. Apple is moving to block some ads and personal tracking in all their product lines, but Google can't be as aggressive because their whole business model is monetizing your personal information. That puts their internal departments in a power struggle if consumers decide they want more privacy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The iPod Touch probably still has a niche, maybe people like my dad who adjusted just enough to an Ipod Touch (or the touchscreen Nano I bought him years ago) but still hasn't gotten his head around smartphones.

I think it's likely Apple knew they were going after their own market with iPhones, and figures the profits to be made from the bigger profit margins and associated things like the App Store outweighed the downsides of technically cannibalising their own market. I think for a lot of people, given touchscreen phones and MP3 players were growing more and more similar, figured that the iPhone or a similar product was the logical next step.

I wouldn't put it in such adversarial terms in any case given I doubt Apple thinks of it that way, it's one product obsoleting another and taking its place while the original remains in a shrinking niche.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

queserasera posted:

Ambien usage doesn't lead to racist rants on Twitter, it leads to mysterious purchases from anywhere you have a saved credit card. I apparently bought a hand mixer and a rubber crafting stamp from eBay last week.

Exactly. That said, it's like Christmas a couple weeks after I combine eBay with beers ... just have to hope I'm careful enough in future that like, a car-carrying truck doesn't show up with an IROC on the back :)

Note: yes this would obviously own but paying eBay prices for one would be...the opposite of own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's hard to describe just how much of a pain in the rear end buying (and selling!) PC games was before Steam.

That said you could go to Electronics Boutique and get Commodore 64 games which was fun :)