Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/gmlethM.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots sometimes climbs on top of the couch while I'm laying down watching tv, and he'll run over to me and basically beg for head rubs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Harlequin has no front teeth, but persistently imitates the Himalayan, so he'll gum at cardboard boxes and the bars of his cage because the other one does.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Is that a hare!?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I asked the same thing in the Cute Thread but was told:

Kidney Stone posted:

A rabbit, Belgian Hare.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

That's cool. I've met someone who took in an apparently orphaned leveret once and it stayed with them for months before eventually leaving, they would still occasionally see it running around nearby fields years later :3

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ILL Machina posted:

Today I learned that rabbits float.

https://i.imgur.com/XeFktLZ.gifv

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

That doesn't look like a happy bun...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah it's a real bad idea to put a rabbit in the water for a lot of reasons, and rabbits don't only go limp because they're relaxed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That said, the rabbit doesn't look panicked. Can't see the whites of its eyes and its breathing seems normal. It even looks around with curiosity. Of course, now they get to very carefully blow-dry their rabbit because rabbit fur really, really can't get wet, then pray that nothing in the water irritates its skin.

Swimming behavior in rabbits isn't unknown, but it's usually particular species and they usually only swim so they can attack Jimmy Carter.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

That said, the rabbit doesn't look panicked. Can't see the whites of its eyes and its breathing seems normal. It even looks around with curiosity.

Yeah I was going to post that yesterday, than bun looks chill and you can even spot him grinding his teeth. Maybe a bit tense because water but he looks fine.

That gif is hypnotizing too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry, didn't realize that might be dangerous or unhappy for the rabbit, I just thought it looked cute.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Sorry, didn't realize that might be dangerous or unhappy for the rabbit, I just thought it looked cute.
You're good, no signs of distress from the rabbit. It's not like you shared a video of a baby rabbit screaming or something.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

I love when he sits like that. It looks like he's wearing pants and white shoes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I love when he sits like that. It looks like he's wearing pants and white shoes.
Dutches are an adorable breed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

harriet is still watching and judging.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I thought that was her default state. Judging the world and revising her list of who dies first.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Why’d you take a pic of her butt though?

... Oh god she’s reading this thread isn’t she? :gonk:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
We rearranged our living room, including the placement of Carrots' cage, and he's not having it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/aCe1nLa.mp4

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Oh God, Harriet shall never see this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

A good reminder that rabbits are, in fact, 85% fluff.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy

lost a big ginger floof yesterday, he'd been having regular dental's since August and this last op must have just been too much and he never woke up. he was just the most chill rabbit i ever saw and its very sad.

This leaves us with one rabbit, anyone have any good tips on making sure she doesn't get lonely without him?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

clear eyes full farts posted:

lost a big ginger floof yesterday

Goondolences

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

lost a big ginger floof yesterday, he'd been having regular dental's since August and this last op must have just been too much and he never woke up. he was just the most chill rabbit i ever saw and its very sad.

This leaves us with one rabbit, anyone have any good tips on making sure she doesn't get lonely without him?

1) goondolences

2) time to consider fostering a new bun?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

1) goondolences

2) time to consider fostering a new bun?
I wouldn't recommend fostering because if their current rabbit becomes attached you risk making things worse when the new rabbit gets adopted.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy

thanks folks. we would consider adoption again but it could be some time before we'd realistically be in a position to do that (new baby due next week!). In the meantime we are making sure to spend more time with the bun and are going to let her sleep in our room at night if she chooses.. its just really hard to tell how she is feeling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thanks folks. we would consider adoption again but it could be some time before we'd realistically be in a position to do that (new baby due next week!). In the meantime we are making sure to spend more time with the bun and are going to let her sleep in our room at night if she chooses.. its just really hard to tell how she is feeling.
It's hard to predict at all, spend plenty of time with her and monitor her eating/drinking.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wouldn't recommend fostering because if their current rabbit becomes attached you risk making things worse when the new rabbit gets adopted.

Sorry, I meant adopting an older/age matched rabbit.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My in-laws got us a hutch for Lillian. We live in an apartment so I was pretty excited just to give her a little vertical room besides her ex-pen while we're away (I'm going to attach the ex-pen to the hutch so she has a "front yard"), but now that I'm looking at it I worry that the upstairs floor will give her sore hocks. You can see it in the picture. Am I being overly cautious, and if not, what's something cheap and disposable that would be an adequate cover. Sea grass mats?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is that wood? I'm guessing she'll probably be okay, especially since it's only the floor on one part of the hutch and it's neither thin nor wire. What breed is she?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Dwarf lop. So far I don't have to worry about it because she refuses to go up the ramp but glad to hear it won't be a big deal.

Bonus pic

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Dwarf lop. So far I don't have to worry about it because she refuses to go up the ramp but glad to hear it won't be a big deal.

Bonus pic

My biggest concern, depending on her size, would be getting a front foot stuck between the slats. But it's hard for me to get a sense for the hutch's size relative to her.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

My biggest concern, depending on her size, would be getting a front foot stuck between the slats. But it's hard for me to get a sense for the hutch's size relative to her.

Or a back foot for that matter. Rabbits are really good at catching their hands and feet on stuff and breaking them as they flounce and flail

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Hmm, I think her feet are bigger than the spaces, but it sounds like it certainly wouldn't hurt anything and could only possibly help to get some mats or something. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Hmm, I think her feet are bigger than the spaces, but it sounds like it certainly wouldn't hurt anything and could only possibly help to get some mats or something. Thanks!

Toes and nails my dude

They go snag and phalanges go snap and prey animals are good at hiding it so you don’t notice it until weeks later when you’re trimming their nails and the rabbit FLIPS OUT because you grabbed the bad toe

Grass mats can catch too, not to mention that they’ll be made short work of since they’re grass.

I’d honestly suggest a super low-pile carpet or berber material. Like even a soft outdoor entry mat material is going to be good and you can cut it to size with a utility blade. As long as they aren’t pulling long threads and swallowing them (and getting them caught up in their gi tracts) they can chew on the carpet, tho it’s better to give them alternatives.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, thanks, I'll venture into Walmart and see what I can find. Her ex-pen was on carpet so we haven't really had to think about her flooring before.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Carpet’s best and always err on softer rather than rougher (ie no bristle entry mats).
If the floor can be pulled up maybe try wrapping it tight with fleece marerial, just make sure it doesn’t get loose or tangled.

General tip to the thread:
A good option that looks decent for flooring ex pens over wood floor is used rugs. Get some cheap Persian-print (print. Pls don’t buy someone’s heirloom wool Pakistani rug to line your bun pen) rugs on Craigslist and layer them like a boho drum kit setup over a plastic sheet. When they get too nasty and aren’t easily cleanable, roll ‘em up and toss em. Here in Boston you can get good sizes for like $50-$100 constantly because people move apartments and can’t make them fit their new spaces.

Note: you may have to move old rugs to the waste facility yourself depending on where you live

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

"KILLKILLKILLKILLKILLPEEKILLKILLCHEWKILLPEERUNHEADFIRSTINTOWALLKILLKILLPEE"