Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

Is there any way to make Firefox not change the scroll speed in the middle of scrolling? I often try to scroll to the middle of a page, but after three or four swipes on my trackpad, it will suddenly zoom to the top or bottom. I’m on macOS, and it’s behaving like I had scrolling with inertia enabled. (I turned it off in Accessibility Settings, which fixes the issue in Chrome but not Firefox.) Toggling smooth scrolling does nothing.

I've noticed this too, but it's quite rare. I wonder if there is something in the html that can influence this. Perhaps scrolling counts the font size as the line height, and scrolls x units of line height per scroll input. But if the text is scaled differently in addition to the html-defined font size, the scroll might take a different "bite" of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've never noticed this before. Is it possible you have tapping enabled, and as you're swiping quickly you do a "middle click", triggering the scroll mode?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a way to have embedded <video> tags in Firefox show the controls by default? In Chrome you could use a userscript to do it on hover over the videos, but I can't get any scripts to work in Firefox and have to manually right click videos to show the controls.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Double Punctuation posted:

Is there any way to make Firefox not change the scroll speed in the middle of scrolling? I often try to scroll to the middle of a page, but after three or four swipes on my trackpad, it will suddenly zoom to the top or bottom. I’m on macOS, and it’s behaving like I had scrolling with inertia enabled. (I turned it off in Accessibility Settings, which fixes the issue in Chrome but not Firefox.) Toggling smooth scrolling does nothing.

Inertia Scrolling is biting you. I use DisableExtremeScrollAcceleration to disable this: https://github.com/davekeck/DisableExtremeScrollAcceleration

*Derp* missed that you disabled it in accessibility. Try that app out anyway, it might not fully disable in the accessibility pane only?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Truga posted:

I've never noticed this before. Is it possible you have tapping enabled, and as you're swiping quickly you do a "middle click", triggering the scroll mode?

Nope, tapping is not enabled, and I disabled autoscrolling, just so be sure.

jink posted:

Inertia Scrolling is biting you. I use DisableExtremeScrollAcceleration to disable this: https://github.com/davekeck/DisableExtremeScrollAcceleration

*Derp* missed that you disabled it in accessibility. Try that app out anyway, it might not fully disable in the accessibility pane only?

That app apparently doesn’t work any more.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I'm trying out Firefox because I'll have to switch once Chrome drops adblocks
Surely Mozilla will seize this opportunity to gain back some users from Chr... Oh FFS :yikes:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, the way Chrome (and now Firefox) is doing extensions is more secure for the user and browser . But, the way Firefox was doing extensions was incomparably better from performance perspective and capabilities perspective. I guess both of them want to tighten the wall around the extensions.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
There's legitimate reasons for the overall idea of "provide filters to the browser, let it handle blocking". The Chrome proposal doesn't just do that, though, because Adblock Plus style filters are worse than uBlock AFAIK and 30,000 filters is far too few (and this is already known, because Apple did 50k and that's not enough)

I don't think a Firefox dev saying "declarative blocking is better for security and performance" means we're going to end up with Firefox doing what Google seems to be doing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I don't think a Firefox dev saying "declarative blocking is better for security and performance" means we're going to end up with Firefox doing what Google seems to be doing.

I'm extremely worried because it sounds like the bullshit they come up with to justify a decision.

Web content and the main browser already have to be isolated for security. Extensions should too. And adding steps of IPC will absolutely have performance impact. All of that is true. But no extensions = no added steps. Simply maintaining the ability for extensions to hook into that chain should not have any impact.

So the only reasons you'd remove it is either because you want to protect the idiots who install 500 extensions from themselves at all costs, or because you're trying to keep google happy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Klyith posted:

or because you're trying to keep google happy.

They still have quite the good deal on search revenue from Google... so yeah, this is probably going to hit Firefox eventually too.

Everything is beginning to feel like the late 1990s/early 2000s again, when the browser market stagnated so badly and innovation was nowhere and I wound up running IE for a while because there wasn't anything else in a useable state. Will we have another browser renaissance this time, or will it just be a bunch of abandoned Firefox and Chromium forks that we switch to whenever the next one comes out?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nexus6 posted:

Is there a way to have embedded <video> tags in Firefox show the controls by default? In Chrome you could use a userscript to do it on hover over the videos, but I can't get any scripts to work in Firefox and have to manually right click videos to show the controls.

If you have Violent Monkey installed, just add this script.

It will bring up the controls on mouseover and it also limits the video height, but you can change that to whatever you want.

quote:

// ==UserScript==
// @name shorter videos and view controls on mouseover
// @namespace https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description asdf
// @include https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 700px; } ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
$("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why don't Youtube annotations stay off? :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Klyith posted:

So the only reasons you'd remove it is either because you want to protect the idiots who install 500 extensions from themselves at all costs, or because you're trying to keep google happy.

When people install add-ons that make Firefox slow, they blame Firefox, not the add-on.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Some sites like imgur mess with the controls every time the video loops. I would do something like this:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name Show Video Controls
// @namespace suckerfree
// @description Always show video controls
// @author      Nalin
// @include     *
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// @run-at      document-start
// ==/UserScript==

window.addEventListener("load", function() {

var video = document.getElementsByTagName("video");
  for (var i = 0; i < video.length; ++i)
  {
    // Show the video controls.
    var v = video[i];
    v.controls = true;

// Bind mouseover so we can bring the controls back if the page tries to disable them on loop (ie, imgur).
    v.addEventListener("mouseover", function(event) {
      event.target.controls = true;
    });
  }

// Remove imgur's controls as they suck.
  var controls = document.querySelectorAll(".video-controls");
  controls.forEach(function(control) {
    control.parentNode.removeChild(control);
  });

});
EDIT 1/29/2019: Removed jQuery dependency.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 30, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nalin posted:

Some sites like imgur mess with the controls every time the video loops. I would do something like this:

On testing, seems to work the same (minus the video height).

Now, if only I could get a script to work on their actual site, that would be great.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 24, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stare-Out posted:

Because gently caress you, what else are you going to do? Watch Dailymotion lol?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

They were supposed to remove them permanently Jan 15th, are they still there?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ola posted:

They were supposed to remove them permanently Jan 15th, are they still there?

They were? They're still very much there, and the switch goes back to "on" for every new video. It feels like Firefox is forgetting this one specific setting. Cookie issue?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

They were? They're still very much there, and the switch goes back to "on" for every new video. It feels like Firefox is forgetting this one specific setting. Cookie issue?

I think it does on every browser, and it's by design. Got an example video we can test?

By the way:

quote:

As of May 2017, the annotations editor has been discontinued. This means you can no longer add new or edit existing annotations, only delete them. You can continue to see reporting data for your existing annotations.

Update: We will stop showing existing annotations to viewers starting January 15, 2019. All existing annotations will be removed.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2683267?visit_id=636839166167363834-335636135&rd=1

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ohh, they mean the pop-up text boxes people could add to their videos. Yeah those are seemingly gone but the option to toggle annotations still exists and now shows/hides these video suggestion text boxes that appear on the top right (and also the channel's logo on the bottom right.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Ohh, they mean the pop-up text boxes people could add to their videos. Yeah those are seemingly gone but the option to toggle annotations still exists and now shows/hides these video suggestion text boxes that appear on the top right (and also the channel's logo on the bottom right.)

Oh right, yeah those are definitely there on purpose. You must ENGAGE WITH BRANDS. You must BOOST VIEWCOUNT. You must OBEY.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't doubt that, but not having them stay gone when the option is there kinda stinks. It worked on Chrome, whatever that means.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I don't doubt that, but not having them stay gone when the option is there kinda stinks. It worked on Chrome, whatever that means.

Just tried it on my stock config if-all-else-fails install of Chrome, holy god youtube without adblock is a hellhole. If I flip annotations off, it's reenabled again on a later video. But not all videos have the option there, I guess it's gone if the feature isn't used.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 24, 2019

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you have Violent Monkey installed, just add this script.

It will bring up the controls on mouseover and it also limits the video height, but you can change that to whatever you want.

That works a treat, thank you! Wonder why Greasemonkey didn't like it but Violentmonkey did.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ola posted:

Just tried it on my stock config if-all-else-fails install of Chrome, holy god youtube without adblock is a hellhole. If I flip annotations off, it's reenabled again on a later video. But not all videos have the option there, I guess it's gone if the feature isn't used.

Yeah, it's a weird thing. Youtube is probably the heaviest adblocked site I use with a ton of manually blocked elements on top of automatically blocked ones.

On the topic of Firefox and Youtube, FF is the only browser that effortlessly plays 1080p60 content on my ancient PC. Chrome used to but stopped after an update and began dropping frames like crazy, so that's another reason this transfer from Chrome was way overdue for me.

E: Having said that, the Space bar no longer pauses videos. It unpauses them, but then it goes on to do nothing except flash the play symbol onscreen while the video goes on. Whaaaaaaat?

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 24, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, it's a weird thing. Youtube is probably the heaviest adblocked site I use with a ton of manually blocked elements on top of automatically blocked ones.

On the topic of Firefox and Youtube, FF is the only browser that effortlessly plays 1080p60 content on my ancient PC. Chrome used to but stopped after an update and began dropping frames like crazy, so that's another reason this transfer from Chrome was way overdue for me.

E: Having said that, the Space bar no longer pauses videos. It unpauses them, but then it goes on to do nothing except flash the play symbol onscreen while the video goes on. Whaaaaaaat?

That could just be your barely-manages-to-play-1080p60-videos-computer being unable to process the pause command.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It would make more sense for this thing to be able to stop a video rather than start it, but you might be on to something.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mine play videos fine, but I have the same spacebar issue. K works fine, Chrome works fine with both k and spacebar.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Youtube's player is really loving weird about what the thing you last clicked on it was. That said, it looks like Google hosed with it and broke the ability to pause with the space bar. It worked fine yesterday.

E: It's working again? I'd restarted firefox, though. I'm perfectly willing to let Google and Mozilla share the blame.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 24, 2019

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

YouTube protip:
J rewinds videos 10 seconds,
K plays/pauses and
L advances videos 10 seconds.

For me spacebar is dodgy because, if a video doesn't have focus, pressing it just scrolls down the page

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geemer posted:

E: It's working again? I'd restarted firefox, though. I'm perfectly willing to let Google and Mozilla share the blame.

Works here too, without having the browser restarted. Probably on Google's end then.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nexus6 posted:

YouTube protip:
J rewinds videos 10 seconds,
K plays/pauses and
L advances videos 10 seconds.

For me spacebar is dodgy because, if a video doesn't have focus, pressing it just scrolls down the page

Didn't know about those. I've been using arrow keys left/right for rewind/forward 10 seconds. Up and down change the volume.
Also the numbers (above the letters, but maybe also numpad?) take you to that tenth of the video, so 1 is 1/10th, 5 is halfway, 9 is 9/10th and 0 is the start of the video.

Belan
May 7, 2007
Is there any way to make Firefox behave properly with "jump to last read post" on these forums? On image or tweet heavy pages it always jumps way off position. Chrome doesn't have that problem.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Belan posted:

Is there any way to make Firefox behave properly with "jump to last read post" on these forums? On image or tweet heavy pages it always jumps way off position. Chrome doesn't have that problem.

Wait for the page to finish loading, click the address bar and hit enter.

Belan
May 7, 2007
Ah, that works. Thank you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I just have 'o' set as one of my mouse buttons, it does the same trick, but you don't need any mouse clicks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just have 'o' set as one of my mouse buttons, it does the same trick, but you don't need any mouse clicks.

Probably worth noting that this requires a third-party extension (SALR).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Belan posted:

SALR option "adjust window position after thread loads". 95% of the time, it works every time.

SALR is cool.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Huh? Mine seems to work fine without doing anything fancy, as far as I'm aware? In what conditions doesn't it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Probably worth noting that this requires a third-party extension (SALR).

Oooh, that's why this tip does't work for a lot of people :doh:

It's a really good feature, though. Makes getting through image/embed heavy threads a lot easier.