Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ultraviolence123 posted:

Two digital copies up for grabs. Only Physical Media is real.
Power Rangers
JMW9KM9NL47H

Taken, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

Venom
3UNY0LKDJ3F2PCD6

Gone also

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

loving sneaky fast mother fuckers!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New Arrow releases for April
https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1088818206314295298?s=20

Keoma is a solid western, but isn’t Terraformars based on a racist manga?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Can't say I've seen any of these Arrow releases.

e: beaten

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Iguana with the Tongue of Fire is the best title out of that lot. I can finally ditch my old DVD.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Big Mean Jerk posted:

isn’t Terraformars based on a racist manga?

The guy who wrote it IIRC has denied it, but it's certainly not a good look to say the least. It's also horrifically misogynistic too, with women drawn seemingly specifically to appeal to the male gaze dying in horrifying ways almost immediately after they're introduced.

I'm guessing the live action film is getting an Arrow release because it's directed by Takashi Miike, and looking on blu-ray.com, it appears there's no prior release in the UK. I saw it last year on Netflix while I was in Japan, and I can tell you with utmost certainty that it's not a film worth going out of your way to see.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New Arrow releases for April
https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1088818206314295298?s=20

Keoma is a solid western, but isn’t Terraformars based on a racist manga?

TerraFormars is... about as racist as something can possibly be by accident, yeah.

It's about a multinational UN force going to Mars to terraform it, except this action causes mutant humanoid cockroaches to take over the planet and start very messily killing people instead. The bugs are probably supposed to look like homo erectus (if you google homo erectus, one of the first image results looks almost exactly like the Terraformers' faces), but to the vast, vast majority of Western readers they just look like black people, which is A Bad Look.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I saw all these 70s/80s movies with retro VHS-style artwork at the store at lunch but it turns out the VHS style also extended to case size. Shameful.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

TerraFormars is... about as racist as something can possibly be by accident, yeah.

It's about a multinational UN force going to Mars to terraform it, except this action causes mutant humanoid cockroaches to take over the planet and start very messily killing people instead. The bugs are probably supposed to look like homo erectus (if you google homo erectus, one of the first image results looks almost exactly like the Terraformers' faces), but to the vast, vast majority of Western readers they just look like black people, which is A Bad Look.

The author has said as much, and when the humans do encounter the humanoid cockroaches, they are basically cavemen who rapidly advance in technology because of human contact, and he's also stated that the colour of the carapace is dark because that's the colour of cockroaches. I guess it is plausible that it's just a series of unfortunate coincidences, but the manga does nothing to help itself either, really.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Second Sight (UK) has got the rights for a blu ray release of Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Second Sight (UK) has got the rights for a blu ray release of Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

Yeah, I'm proper stoked about this because I missed out on the Arrow Dawn of the Dead set. I hope it comes with the different versions of the film.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Not only that, they’re doing Martin too! Please let these see a region A release too!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Not only that, they’re doing Martin too! Please let these see a region A release too!

Holy poo poo, loving finally!

I've got a few Second Sights and their recent work is excellent.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 26, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I saw all these 70s/80s movies with retro VHS-style artwork at the store at lunch but it turns out the VHS style also extended to case size. Shameful.

I'm pretty sure they're also Mill Creek releases so I'd steer clear of them anyway.

Liar Lyre posted:

It's about goddamn time.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

For real!? I don't need to get the crappy German release now!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure they're also Mill Creek releases so I'd steer clear of them anyway.

Mill Creek is :effort: incarnate

Meaning when Sony gives them a top-notch master, they don't gently caress it up (The Lady from Shanghai is reference quality), but if they get some old master from who knows when... meh. Also, they suck for sniping Criterion's Night of the Living Dead by releasing a lovely scanned-from-16mm disc for cheap literally to cash in on George Romero's death.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The one nice thing about the VHS cover versions is they're putting out a few that never had releases outside of sets or were previously only available on BD-R.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Picked up a few older Blu-rays at a second hand store...

I didn't realize how incredible All Quiet on the Western Front looks and sounds. I had an old DVD of it and it wasn't terrible for a 1930 film, but the 4K restoration is an absolute revelation.

After reading some reviews, I hesitated on the second Beatles film Help!, but finally got it. Absolute poo poo. It looks as bad as Predator. Great sound at least, but holy poo poo I hope Criterion gets their hands on it and do a new 4K master.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ever seen Mr. Popo from Dragon Ball Z? Dude is a loving black face caricature. Or Jinx from Pokemon?

I don't think it registers over there like it does with us.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Ever seen Mr. Popo from Dragon Ball Z? Dude is a loving black face caricature. Or Jinx from Pokemon?

I don't think it registers over there like it does with us.

Japan is pretty notoriously xenophobic and I don't think they have a lot of black people there.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mannnnnnnnnnnn when the gently caress will one of these boutique labels put Mom and Dad Save the World out in a 4K remaster. It's a really impeccably designed movie full of great practical effects.

(otherthanfortheobviousreasonsofcourse)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Mannnnnnnnnnnn when the gently caress will one of these boutique labels put Mom and Dad Save the World out in a 4K remaster. It's a really impeccably designed movie full of great practical effects.

(otherthanfortheobviousreasonsofcourse)

Stay Tuned is the superior weird 90s movie about parents going on a crazy adventure.

Edit: Apparently Stay Tuned was released on blu-ray. I was not expecting that.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 26, 2019

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

CPL593H posted:

Stay Tuned is the superior weird 90s movie about parents going on a crazy adventure starring Jeffrey Jones.

ftfy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I wanted to not emphasize the presence of Jeffrey Jones.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

CPL593H posted:

I wanted to not emphasize the presence of Jeffrey Jones.

Ok now I know that Jeffrey Jones is a pedophile.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 26, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just reshoot all his scenes in everything with Michael McKean.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

Universal is also doing a series of gimmicky Clam Shell VHS Case releases for their blurays. Cases (without a proper VHS to compare with) seem the proper size though perhaps rather flimsy. Inside is just a standard bluray, same as you would get in a regular case, no extras or additions. Up here in Canada, the lineup is

E.T.
Jaws
Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Fletch
Slap Shot
Backdraft

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

More digital codes

Murder on the Orient Express (2017): 4EHPQ8BB494UP9U6
Smallfoot: 7342TMMKNYUTXZ54
The Nun: 7H1HF3KCFB1PM438
The Predator: FNR5E119X26FYKY1

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ultraviolence123 posted:

More digital codes

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Grabbed this, thank you!

Skttrbrain
Apr 6, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

More digital codes

Grabbed The Nun, thanks!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
How do UHD codes work? If I post them, should I specify that it's 4k? Does that make a difference?

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

How do UHD codes work? If I post them, should I specify that it's 4k? Does that make a difference?

From what I can tell from the few 4K movies I've redeemed on Movies Anywhere, it should give the UHD, HD and SD versions wherever available

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

You get 4k + everything under it.

The platform + app you use determines what resolution you get, iirc.

So you'll have the 4k listed on your PS3 Vudu app, but playback there is limited to HD.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does not apply for to Disney on iTunes as it will be hd there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley has announced The Golden Head and Flying Clipper (aka Mediterranean Holiday) for Blu-ray, with Flying Clipper being a dual-format UHD/Blu-ray edition. I think that makes Flicker Alley the second boutique label in the US to release a UHD title (Shout! Factory has done a few IMAX films). Both coming on March 26th and are currently $29.95 each on Flicker Alley's website.

https://www.flickeralley.com

Both were originally released in the US as Cinerama films, having been shot in large format (Technirama for The Golden Head, 65mm for Flying Clipper).

Also a reminder that their Blu-ray of Richard Oswald's 1929 version of The Hound of the Baskervilles is coming on Feb. 5 and is discounted to $29.95 right now.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Anybody know if Song to Song on blu-ray is out of print? I can't find new copies of it for sale, only used from second-run stores. Same goes for Knight of Cups.

Did another label snap them up? (Criterion maybe?)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Anybody know if Song to Song on blu-ray is out of print? I can't find new copies of it for sale, only used from second-run stores. Same goes for Knight of Cups.

Did another label snap them up? (Criterion maybe?)

Looks like all of Broad Green Pictures' releases are OOP and their last release was in Feb 2018.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Code for La La Land - through redeemmovie.co.uk so probably UK/Ireland only.

C64CLTVR3LD5EQ01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In the latest Warner Archive podcast, they confirmed the silent films The Crowd and The Wind are in the works.