Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It's also possible that that the American view of the value of energy efficiency or anything, really isn't worth a tinker's drat anywhere else in the world.
Disclosure: I'm American, in America, and I think we're dumb and shortsighted.

edit: of course it's a new page. This is in reference to the value of more energy-efficient windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Why you should be proactive in fixing leaks in brick walls:

peanut posted:

I appreciate that moss and mushrooms.

If you let it go long enough, you'll have a lovely plush carpet. Tad squishy, though. Also, username-post combo on the initial post.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Darchangel posted:

If you let it go long enough, you'll have a lovely plush carpet. Tad squishy, though. Also, username-post combo on the initial post.

If it's part of your sunken waterfall tub, it's a feature!

Update to the stud finding expedition: I'm not feeling confident in any of the results of tapping long nails into drywall around electrical boxes or counting inches from the corners, but building maintenance is coming for inspections in two weeks, so I'll wait and defer to them. Meanwhile, looking for an entertainment center that's sturdy enough to be the base for a TV mount, just in case.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwG9UdwSS4

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

That seems like a decently made, if jury rigged, booby trap. This probably belongs in the OSHA thread, instead.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Phanatic posted:

No you won't. Nobody spends more for a home because the windows are more expensive. That won't even factor into the appraiser's estimate.

Maybe not directly, but when looking for a home (in North Carolina, not known for its temperature extremes) I definitely gave some options less consideration because I could tell that they were less well insulated and would incur higher ongoing costs. Opinions about what is worth paying for in a home are as varied as the homes themselves, and anything that someone might notice and care about could potentially influence the number and quality of offers that you get when selling.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo! After seeing that, I would leave that house and flat out refuse to do any more work in there. Who knows what else is lying in wait? Disarm any further traps with the long arm of an excavator.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Top 5 Dumbest Building Products
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9SsMIBGn2M

I'm already shook at the idea of loving cardboard sheathing.

He's doesnt seem to understand house wrap, does he?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When looking for a house there were multiple choices in the same 1970s neighborhood

I went with one that had windows replaced recently because there were no drafts compared to the houses with OG windows that seemed to do nothing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

He's doesnt seem to understand house wrap, does he?

What do you mean by this? He seems to understand just fine that perforated house wrap is garbage because it's permeability is vastly suboptimal to things like Tyvec.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

moist turtleneck posted:

When looking for a house there were multiple choices in the same 1970s neighborhood

I went with one that had windows replaced recently because there were no drafts compared to the houses with OG windows that seemed to do nothing

My house buying was similar, except I bought the cheapest house with concrete block walls I could afford (lots of termite ridden wood houses in my area). First upgrade was new windows to replace the old jalousie windows in my house. 6 - 6' x 3' double pane vinyl Pella 350 series windows were something like $550 each. I was looking for hurricane resistant windows but they were sold at a higher model and were around $900 each if I remember correctly.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Splicer posted:

If you're not planning to live there for 20 years then you'll still see increased returns on your sale of the home. If the home isn't supposed to stand for 20 years then that's hosed up (or Japanese who build entirely different kinds of houses and don't count).

http://www.seiko-h.jp/sale_search/detail/380001-15352

For reference, this 6 bedroom shithole was "built in 1982." It looks like everyone's grandma's house (my in-law's house). A full remodel would cost over $100,000, but you could do a new build with a better floorplan and plumbing upstairs for $150,000+.
This house sucks, plz blow it up and restart.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

What do you mean by this? He seems to understand just fine that perforated house wrap is garbage because it's permeability is vastly suboptimal to things like Tyvec.

Permeability is only one factor though! Drainage is also important. Woven house wraps behave different than tyvek, and placing standing water on it is demonstrates nothing useful!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

peanut posted:

http://www.seiko-h.jp/sale_search/detail/380001-15352

For reference, this 6 bedroom shithole was "built in 1982." It looks like everyone's grandma's house (my in-law's house). A full remodel would cost over $100,000, but you could do a new build with a better floorplan and plumbing upstairs for $150,000+.
This house sucks, plz blow it up and restart.

I can’t read any of that site, but those were the pictures she took to SELL the house? Lmao

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The bathroom looks pretty clean if it's original. If i was home hunting and it was in my price range I would at least look at it in person.

E: Google translated this below the pictures

quote:

The wind blows! ! South facing! !

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Gardenator posted:

The bathroom looks pretty clean if it's original. If i was home hunting and it was in my price range I would at least look at it in person.

E: Google translated this below the pictures

I guess, but when I was selling I was told to
Clean out all brickabrack poo poo that clutters
Pick up broken pots and trash from the back yard
Don’t hang your clothes from the window treatments
Etc

At least for picture time I mean really, even granny can tidy up a bit.

How much was this going for again?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

Drainage is also important.

This just leads to more questions. What building method do you subscribe to where you need to drain through house wrap?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

This just leads to more questions. What building method do you subscribe to where you need to drain through house wrap?

Not through, but downards. With traditional tyvek, water that gets behind the siding can get trapped there against the housewrap. That's a bad thing for wood siding, and also probably doesn't help with water ingress through fastener holes. With drainable housewrap materials, it provides a surface that has grooves or channels to allow water to flow (or wick) downwards immediately.

Showing that tyvek is the most impermeable to standing water under pressure is a just a bad test lol, and i'm pretty sure whatever standards they test to don't do that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

Not through, but downards. With traditional tyvek, water that gets behind the siding can get trapped there against the housewrap. That's a bad thing for wood siding, and also probably doesn't help with water ingress through fastener holes. With drainable housewrap materials, it provides a surface that has grooves or channels to allow water to flow (or wick) downwards immediately.

Showing that tyvek is the most impermeable to standing water under pressure is a just a bad test lol, and i'm pretty sure whatever standards they test to don't do that.

Down is still down, perforations or not. And tyvec is in fact permeable (just less so), so it accomplishes this same thing without the risks of wind-driven rain and the like gushing through. Just look at good building school performance statistics in regards to how much permeability is appropriate. The science shows it's a lot less then perforated, which is what the more expensive breathable materials provide. Perforated is nothing more than a cost cutting measure to use cheaper materials.

And don't even start talking about fastener holes being an issue when comparing to cheap rear end perforated plastic. I've yet to see a reasonable academic building performance study that says anything more than "at least it's not tar paper" in regards to these perforated wraps.

E: want to talk ab out something novel that reduces install time and might actually be better all around at a relatively low cost? Let's talk about Zip and similar systems.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 25, 2019

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Slanderer posted:

Moisture getting stuck behind housewrap was a major contributing factor to Vancouver's leaky condo crisis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_condo_crisis posted:

A major contributing factor to the crisis was the increase in the use of cladding systems such as acrylic stucco and exterior insulation finishing system (or EIFS), which are highly resistant to infiltration and exfiltration of water and moisture. Unlike more traditional materials, such as wood siding or cement-based stucco, a critical flaw of the new materials is that any water or moisture that penetrates into the system, either through cracks in the surface (caused by thermal expansion or damage), unsealed joints, or incorrect flashings, becomes trapped inside the wall, potentially causing deterioration, rot, and mould.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I guess, but when I was selling I was told to
Clean out all brickabrack poo poo that clutters
Pick up broken pots and trash from the back yard
Don’t hang your clothes from the window treatments
Etc

At least for picture time I mean really, even granny can tidy up a bit.

How much was this going for again?

US $58,000 in a hilly neighborhood. That's basically land price which assumes the buyer will tear it down or remodel completely.
My town is full of houses like that. Suburban Shikoku isn't a hot market for house flippers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

peanut posted:

US $58,000 in a hilly neighborhood. That's basically land price which assumes the buyer will tear it down or remodel completely.
My town is full of houses like that. Suburban Shikoku isn't a hot market for house flippers.

The Japanese system must at least have comparatively lower construction costs than the US, right? I'm assuming that all the scale will allow prefab modules to work much better there than they ever have here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes, catalog parts are standard in new construction so all the sizes and colors are compatible. It helps that houses were/are traditionally measured and planned using tatami mat units (3x6 feet) which works for everything from hallways and doors to visualizing furniture placement.

Labor is expensive but not as bad as you'd expect. Once the frame and roof was on our house (one day) two brothers finished the interior over 3 months.

New construction is usually estimated as $5000 for each "tsubo" 2-mat square (36 sqft) of floorspace. Of course that varies starting from $3500〜 depending on materials and fixtures.
Typical new family houses are around 35 tsubo depending on budget (1300 sqft).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

$138 a square foot? Yeah, that's not unreasonable.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Moisture getting stuck behind housewrap was a major contributing factor to Vancouver's leaky condo crisis.

Hadn't heard of that, and it looks like there was a similar crisis in New Zealand.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The MSJ posted:

Guys, I think you need to know something about these forums.

I just saw this over in PYF.

#5 Grover

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has Grover really been gone almost five years?

It doesn’t seem that long.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

poo poo, they're on to us. Quick guys, activate the Shadow Protocol.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just saw this over in PYF.

#5 Grover

I didn't realize "hey dumbass why did you insulate your interior stairs holy poo poo you're a contractor FOR WHO NOW?!" constitutes harassment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, cool - I've never been on the conspirator side of a government conspiracy before!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My five year old plays some form of Slenderman with his friends. I guess it worked.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Wait, what's #9 referring to? Were there actually murders perpetrated by internet lunatics who had somehow been led to believe Slenderman was real and thus... needed to kill someone for some reason because of it?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Buff Skeleton posted:

Wait, what's #9 referring to? Were there actually murders perpetrated by internet lunatics who had somehow been led to believe Slenderman was real and thus... needed to kill someone for some reason because of it?

Yes. :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Buff Skeleton posted:

Yes. That said, they were children.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-wisconsin-slender-man-stabbing-sentence-20180201-story.html

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Buff Skeleton posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man_stabbing

It’s disturbing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just one attempted (and amazingly unsuccessful) murder, as far as I know.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

The city of Madison, Wisconsin held a one-day bratwurst festival to honor the victim
What?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just laughed out loud at that one before my brain told me how hosed up and stupid that was.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

sneakyfrog posted:

i just laughed out loud at that one before my brain told me how hosed up and stupid that was.

Choose your post adventure!

Choice A
Wisconsin's gonna Wisconsin.

Choice B
No one in that state is slender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im from minnesota, i have nothing good to say about those cheeseheads.