Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bridges watched that Beach Bum trailer and got nostalgic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

clown shoes posted:

The Dude in a Super Bowl commercial is the ultimate sell out.
Can't be living in the past, man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We went on a Big Lebowski bender in the "PYF Subtle Movie Moments" thread and holy gently caress there were a lot of subtle moments in that film. It's actual kind of insane how much stuff the Coens packed into it.

I'd love more Lebowski stuff (and John Turturro has been begging them to revisit his Jesus character for decades) but on the other hand if it's not working off a razor sharp script that Joel and Ethan have been honing for years then ... :shrug:

Edit: but then again, Netflix have been throwing money at them recently ....

clown shoes posted:

The Dude in a Super Bowl commercial is the ultimate sell out.

You don't have a frame of reference, you're out of your element. Shut the gently caress up, Clowny!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 24, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Lebowski's one of my favorite movies of all time, so seeing that teaser instantly got me excited, although yeah, it's probably just gonna be some dumb Super Bowl ad and nothing more.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Will Smith offers an exclusive first look at Bad Boys for Lif3 on his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs-6JDNhbHb

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ posted:

Will Smith offers an exclusive first look at Bad Boys for Lif3 on his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs-6JDNhbHb

That's actually kind of silly in a way I can get behind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I love Bridges & I love the Coens but I have no desire for a sequel or whatever it is. Make something new, not everything has to be a franchise, etc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Big Lebowski does not really need a sequel, but even if it's only like 50% Coen Bros effort it will still be better than 99% of all the other horrible trash that gets released in cinemas across our great nation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's going to be a commercial for Squarespace or some poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah probably, I'm just speaking here of some theoretical sequel to TBL.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Zac Efron is Ted Bundy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lW6Z38HHJw

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The tone of this is completely bizarre.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ehud posted:

Yeah, what the hell? It's like it's trying to paint Ted Bundy in a positive light and make him "hip" for some weird loving reason.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe I’ve been listening to too many Last Podcasts but that seems up that kind of alley. Horrible, disgusting but goddamn weird as hell and kinda funny due to its insanity

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ehud posted:

I love bizarre tones and tonal whiplash, especially when it’s about true events. Besides I thought Bundy was supposed to be reasonably charismatic and charming, so it doesn’t really seem that weird to me in the first place.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
^^^ yup that. That was him in real life.

teagone posted:

Yeah, what the hell? It's like it's trying to paint Ted Bundy in a positive light and make him "hip" for some weird loving reason.

I don't think it's trying to paint him in that light, I think that was the tone he gave off himself in real life and they are framing around that rather than yet another grim/grisly/HLN serial killer tell-all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ehud posted:

Yeah, it feels like they're trying to capitalize off of what films like Wolf of Wall Street, Catch Me If You Can, War Dogs, and American Made have already run into the ground.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Keep in mind that Joe Berlinger, who is 1/2 of the directors behind the Paradise Lost films, also directed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1UJgrNRcvI

I would argue he has earned some benefit of the doubt.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I agree with you guys who are saying they're going for the "Ted Bundy was a charmer" route. I just don't think the trailer is particularly successful. I think the biggest problem is that the music is terrible. It sounds like the soundtrack that should play during a movie about a zany heist.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If you aren’t familiar with the script, it’s written from the perspective of his girlfriend to the point where the script has a “gimmick” of not revealing who her boyfriend really is until the end. It’s basically the story of a woman whose wonderful, handsome, kind significant other is accused of these terrible things and he’s willing to do whatever it takes to clear his name while she has to grapple with whether or not he did them. But then actually it’s Ted Buddy so he hella did those things because he is a psychopath.

Obviously, if you want to market the movie as “Zac Efron Is Ted Bundy”, that doesn’t fly, so they’re taking the basics of that (primarily focusing on his relationship/repeated attempts to talk his way out of punishment) but not even pretending to keep it secret. But Bundy, especially in this script, is a really charming guy and the movie is gonna try to convince you (through his girlfriend) that there’s no way he did it and it’s all a huge misunderstanding (and then pulling the rug out from under you when it goes into the brutal detail of how he did it)

I trust the dude who helped make Paradise Lost to know how to frame the media in the midst of a flashy serial killer trial, and that’s going to be a big part of it.

I should really read that script again, it’s a great read and now I’m kinda curious if I can spot how much of it is still in there.

edit: honestly they probably could have cut a trailer about a man held for a crime he repeatedly swears he didn’t do and the stress it puts on his family which would be closer to the actual content of the film but then you don’t make any money because people are almost just looking at a Lifetime movie with a flashy cast. Just cut the little shots of him actually committing violence and add a shot of him talking to the police explaining all of the incredibly incriminating things in his car.

But again, then you don’t get to put the words that are gonna bring all the people out to actually see it: “serial killer” and “Ted Bundy”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 26, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DC Murderverse posted:

If you aren’t familiar with the script, it’s written from the perspective of his girlfriend to the point where the script has a “gimmick” of not revealing who her boyfriend really is until the end. It’s basically the story of a woman whose wonderful, handsome, kind significant other is accused of these terrible things and he’s willing to do whatever it takes to clear his name while she has to grapple with whether or not he did them. But then actually it’s Ted Buddy so he hella did those things because he is a psychopath.

Obviously, if you want to market the movie as “Zac Efron Is Ted Bundy”, that doesn’t fly, so they’re taking the basics of that (primarily focusing on his relationship/repeated attempts to talk his way out of punishment) but not even pretending to keep it secret. But Bundy, especially in this script, is a really charming guy and the movie is gonna try to convince you (through his girlfriend) that there’s no way he did it and it’s all a huge misunderstanding (and then pulling the rug out from under you when it goes into the brutal detail of how he did it)

I trust the dude who helped make Paradise Lost to know how to frame the media in the midst of a flashy serial killer trial, and that’s going to be a big part of it.

I should really read that script again, it’s a great read and now I’m kinda curious if I can spot how much of it is still in there.

edit: honestly they probably could have cut a trailer about a man held for a crime he repeatedly swears he didn’t do and the stress it puts on his family which would be closer to the actual content of the film but then you don’t make any money because people are almost just looking at a Lifetime movie with a flashy cast. Just cut the little shots of him actually committing violence and add a shot of him talking to the police explaining all of the incredibly incriminating things in his car.

But again, then you don’t get to put the words that are gonna bring all the people out to actually see it: “serial killer” and “Ted Bundy”

This all sounds cool and pretty much impossible to make a good trailer for, so I'll hold out some hope.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ehud posted:

I agree with you guys who are saying they're going for the "Ted Bundy was a charmer" route. I just don't think the trailer is particularly successful. I think the biggest problem is that the music is terrible. It sounds like the soundtrack that should play during a movie about a zany heist.

Yeah, I can see that. I didn't particularly care for the music choice and the editing for the text. I liked what it showed of the actual movie though. I've always been a fan of Zac Efron for some reason I don't fully comprehend, so I've been looking forward to this one.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The Big Lebowski does not really need a sequel, but even if it's only like 50% Coen Bros effort it will still be better than 99% of all the other horrible trash that gets released in cinemas across our great nation.
I think Suburbicon proves this is far from a sure thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I've always been a fan of Zac Efron for some reason I don't fully comprehend, so I've been looking forward to this one.

Same. It's a weird little mystery to me, but I really like him.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
He’s got just enough self awareness that he doesn’t take himself remotely seriously, so there’s a certain charm to it. I guess he’s like Channing Tatum with even less range?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Well, this made me way more interested than that trailer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Proteus Jones posted:

Same. It's a weird little mystery to me, but I really like him.

It's come up from time to time in this thread, but essentially he's a good actor who is "unfortunately" a pretty boy so he keeps getting painted into the same corner as those guys. You feel you shouldn't like him for whatever reason, but if you actually watch his movies and look at his filmography you realize there was no reason not to!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He’s generally pretty awesome in most things. And this role looks to be perfect for him.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BonoMan posted:

It's come up from time to time in this thread, but essentially he's a good actor who is "unfortunately" a pretty boy so he keeps getting painted into the same corner as those guys. You feel you shouldn't like him for whatever reason, but if you actually watch his movies and look at his filmography you realize there was no reason not to!

He has the same problem as Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe, where every role they take is always announced (implicitly or explicitly) as “look what the hot boy from High School Musical/Twilight/Harry Potter is doing now!!” Efron has not done quite as much to move away from HSM as the other two have to move away from his starmaking vehicle but at this point I relate him much more to the Apatovian comedy crowd as I do to Disney.

Actually some career analyses taking a look at the key pairs of stars from each of those projects (who are all aimed at roughly the same group of people, age wise) would be interesting. Efron/Hudgins, Pattinson/Stewart and Radcliffe/Watson (my apologies to Rupert Grint) have all done things that tried to drastically change their image to varying levels of success.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You could have just said Harry Potter for both Radcliff and Pattinson

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ehud posted:

Eh, just watch the Matthew Bright Bundy movie, if you're gonna watch that poo poo at least it should be coming from a place of honesty (ie a guy who legitimately hates women).

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

exquisite tea posted:

The Coens are going to make The Dude great again.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Eh, just watch the Matthew Bright Bundy movie, if you're gonna watch that poo poo at least it should be coming from a place of honesty (ie a guy who legitimately hates women).
Man, if dudes think the tone of the Zac Efron Ted Bundy movie is weird, the Matthew Bright Ted Bundy movie is going to really throw them for a loop. It's weirdly funny until it isn't. Then it's just gross and sad.

I'd rather watch Freeway or The Forbidden Zone.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Slutitution posted:

The Coens are going to make The Dude great again.

I’m told it was for a Stella commercial, which sounds about right. Kahlúa would’ve been more appropriate, but so it goes.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Apropos of Bundy-chat, is My Friend Dahmer flick worth a watch?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alehkhs posted:

Gather 'round the campfire and hear the tale of

The Man who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkP4bZKCHE8

v:confused:v

It's like one of those films that execs are always pushing in corporate boardroom satires.

Double feature with Cowboys v Aliens

DC Murderverse posted:

He has the same problem as Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe, where every role they take is always announced (implicitly or explicitly) as “look what the hot boy from High School Musical/Twilight/Harry Potter is doing now!!” Efron has not done quite as much to move away from HSM as the other two have to move away from his starmaking vehicle but at this point I relate him much more to the Apatovian comedy crowd as I do to Disney.

Actually some career analyses taking a look at the key pairs of stars from each of those projects (who are all aimed at roughly the same group of people, age wise) would be interesting. Efron/Hudgins, Pattinson/Stewart and Radcliffe/Watson (my apologies to Rupert Grint) have all done things that tried to drastically change their image to varying levels of success.

Robert Pattinson absolutely owned in Good Time, and he's in Claire Denis' new film so I'm pretty sure he's actually the real deal.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ynohtna posted:

Apropos of Bundy-chat, is My Friend Dahmer flick worth a watch?

It is. Ross Lynch and Alex Wolff are very good in it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Robert Pattinson absolutely owned in Good Time, and he's in Claire Denis' new film so I'm pretty sure he's actually the real deal.

He's very good in The Rover too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yo if you haven't seen Cosmopolis do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ihlciq5V_0

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vagabundo posted:

He's very good in The Rover too.