Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You might make a trek up to Larry’s Bootfitting in Boulder. They have a lot of options and knowledgeable staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

You might make a trek up to Larry’s Bootfitting in Boulder. They have a lot of options and knowledgeable staff.

I was thinking that would be a good plan.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So…turns out the Marmot Minimalist just doesn't have some of the features I'd like in a winter jacket (roomy neck area to cover up your face on the up; helmet compatible hood; pockets for days). The Trew stuff looks awesome, but the measurements lead me to believe it's fitted for taller folks. The Flylow Quantum Pro gets…weird reviews about a scratchy liner or something. Other than Arcteryx and Patagucci, are there other jackets I should be looking at? I'm looking for a solid shell that'll work inbounds and out w/ whatever layers.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 24, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am either in a Patagonia powder bowl or the black diamond dawn patrol. Both are great jackets and worth the cost. Heck the Patagonia one is my second jacket, the first I had for three seasons and a seam came apart, the second I got for free. In it for $230...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

knox_harrington posted:

$800 is crazy.

The peak season private window price at Vail is 1100 for all day privates.

I also ski in a patagonia powder bowl jacket.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I mostly get my shell jackets for free and just buy insulated ones, but I like my Helly Hansen jacket and their warranties have always been great for me when I wreck my pants.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also there was a delay today when three chairs after we got off Harmony one of the chairs going down managed to hook itself on some ropes marking off-limits terrain (I have NO idea how) and started dragging it down haha, so that took like 25 minutes to clear up.

Never seen that before.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dangerllama posted:

So…turns out the Marmot Minimalist just doesn't have some of the features I'd like in a winter jacket (roomy neck area to cover up your face on the up; helmet compatible hood; pockets for days). The Trew stuff looks awesome, but the measurements lead me to believe it's fitted for taller folks. The Flylow Quantum Pro gets…weird reviews about a scratchy liner or something. Other than Arcteryx and Patagucci, are there other jackets I should be looking at? I'm looking for a solid shell that'll work inbounds and out w/ whatever layers.

I wear a Strafe Nomad and I super like it. It is a pretty burly shell that I find works great for inbounds riding, and works great on short hikes.

From what I hear, the Pyramid is similar quality but uses a four way stretchy fabric that's still 3L waterproof if you want a bit more mobility. I don't really have an issue with the non-stretchy, traditional shell construction for hiking the bowl or riding around the resort with the Nomad, but I could see wanting something with a bit more stretch if you take long tours.

https://www.strafeouterwear.com/product/nomad-jacket-2/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The backing on the velcro straps on my old Strafe jacket separated like a week after the ridiculously short warranty period they have ended. I probably could have super glued it back together but :effort:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
After messing around with my boots and touring bindings, I think I solved my problem with difficulty engaging the toe piece.

My problem was that when stepping on the spring that engages the toe pins, it only partially activated, leaving the pins barely touching the holes. Reaching down and manually pulling up on the tour/ski lever clicked them in, but that seemed pretty impractical.

Most of the videos I could find, as well as advice from friends with dynafit bindings, said to line up one hole and then roll the boot toward the other pin. Instead, I have been centering the toe of the boot, pressing down to partially engage the spring, and then rotating the boot forward by lifting the heel as though I were walking, which fully triggers the spring.

Anyone else had tech bindings work this way? Dynafit beast 14s (which is just a TLT toe piece) and tecnica Cochise boots. If it works it works I guess, but it seems like something as precisely machined and tested as tech bindings should work in one way, and makes me suspect I am doing something wrong.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So I moved into my first house recently and I've decided my "apartment" waxing /tuning setup (lovely Ikea ottoman and a tarp) won't cut it anymore.
That said I'm not a bazillionare so I need a foldable rig I can hang in the garage and set up after I take my car out.

I was thinking I'd just get a cheapo black and Decker workman bench and whatever decently rated vices I can find, but figured I'd drop by for recommendations.

I snowboard but I will have others' skis to work on, so universal is nice but snowboard gets priority :colbert:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

After messing around with my boots and touring bindings, I think I solved my problem with difficulty engaging the toe piece.

My problem was that when stepping on the spring that engages the toe pins, it only partially activated, leaving the pins barely touching the holes. Reaching down and manually pulling up on the tour/ski lever clicked them in, but that seemed pretty impractical.

Most of the videos I could find, as well as advice from friends with dynafit bindings, said to line up one hole and then roll the boot toward the other pin. Instead, I have been centering the toe of the boot, pressing down to partially engage the spring, and then rotating the boot forward by lifting the heel as though I were walking, which fully triggers the spring.

Anyone else had tech bindings work this way? Dynafit beast 14s (which is just a TLT toe piece) and tecnica Cochise boots. If it works it works I guess, but it seems like something as precisely machined and tested as tech bindings should work in one way, and makes me suspect I am doing something wrong.

If you’re not engaging fully after doing the usual tech incantations (whacking your toes, rotating your toes a bunch to seat the pins), that sounds like a warranty issue.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Doing this xc race is now officially a mistake. After a pretty tame early season it's now been snowing all week and really started nuking last night through tomorrow and I can't skip work to rip laps because I have to be rested on Saturday. :manning:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh yeah, outerwear talk. I just grabbed a Volcom Guch Stretch jacket, it's loving amazing. Trew is also having a clearance sale at their storefront that is a half mile from my office, probably going to stop in to see what they have later.

With that said, I have an XL Homeschool Universe III jacket in black I'm selling. Burly as gently caress, but they run kinda large and I've lost enough weight since buying it that it no longer fit properly (plus my kid's employee discount put that Guch jacket into my price point).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Doing this xc race is now officially a mistake. After a pretty tame early season it's now been snowing all week and really started nuking last night through tomorrow and I can't skip work to rip laps because I have to be rested on Saturday. :manning:

Man you guys are finally getting the goods too!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spwrozek posted:

I am either in a Patagonia powder bowl or the black diamond dawn patrol. Both are great jackets and worth the cost. Heck the Patagonia one is my second jacket, the first I had for three seasons and a seam came apart, the second I got for free. In it for $230...
I got an insulated Patagonia Powder Bowl on sale for this season and I love it. Plus it's way cheaper than the Patagonia Powder Slayer.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I didn't even know they made an insulated version. Neat. I am sure it is just as good!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Sacrifice the race. Ride the pow.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's ridiculous how good it is right now. loving ridiculous.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Disinterested posted:

It's ridiculous how good it is right now. loving ridiculous.

Yes... I... Sad. Official statement

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Move to BC, it's a fuckin' travesty here, you won't be missing out

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ante posted:

Move to BC, it's a fuckin' travesty here, you won't be missing out

I can't ski until mid March due to injury.

highme
May 25, 2001

I'm going to work a banked slalom tomorrow in 50 degree weather.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

I'm going to work a banked slalom tomorrow in 50 degree weather.

I am sending my girlfriend's daughter up to Meadows tomorrow for her first ski lesson. I imagine she might develop a false sense of what it feels like skiing most of the time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Unpacking after my move and I can’t find the bag that contains 2x ski pants, goggles, mitts, and about a billion hats/buffs/scarves. Torn the whole house apart. :mediocre:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Received my super sweet new ski poles! Thanks for the tip on em!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I, too, am going up to Meadows to enjoy some 50 degree riding. My girlfriend loves spring conditions, and I aim to please.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

spwrozek posted:

I can't ski until mid March due to injury.

Same

Turns out watching people ski can be OK. (at the army ski champs)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

knox_harrington posted:

Same

Turns out watching people ski can be OK. (at the army ski champs)

Yeah man. I am up in Dillon CO now with a bunch of friends. They are all out skiing (which does give me joy). I kind of wish I was still in Denver chilling but watching the snow lightly fall right now is nice.

highme
May 25, 2001

il serpente cosmico posted:

I, too, am going up to Meadows to enjoy some 50 degree riding. My girlfriend loves spring conditions, and I aim to please.

If I can't ride pow I'm all in for slush laps. I just wish I was going to be able to do something other than sit in the timing shack and sweat. I might be able to grab a few early laps, and although it's relatively warm up here right now, I'm expecting it to be pretty firm.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Yeah man. I am up in Dillon CO now with a bunch of friends. They are all out skiing (which does give me joy). I kind of wish I was still in Denver chilling but watching the snow lightly fall right now is nice.

Go buy yourself a switch. It's fun to play in the mountains as well as anywhere else!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fknlo posted:

Go buy yourself a switch. It's fun to play in the mountains as well as anywhere else!

I love the switch. I fly a decent amount for work and it is great on the plane and in hotels! Playing through hollow Knight and Skyrim right now since they don't involve a lot of movement like Mario.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

If I can't ride pow I'm all in for slush laps. I just wish I was going to be able to do something other than sit in the timing shack and sweat. I might be able to grab a few early laps, and although it's relatively warm up here right now, I'm expecting it to be pretty firm.

Are you part of the Meadows Race Team or do you help out with another league? I am interested in trying to get my son into a league next season, when he will be 12 and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for getting a kid on a team. The Meadows Race Team group for his age bracket seems just a little bit out of his ability level unfortunately. He can do Stadium and Nastar Hill (Easier blues) but the Meadows Race team seems to suggest the kids need to be able to do Cascade and Shooting Star, and I am worried that is just a bit much for him and my ability to teach him.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

beach life best life

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Spent the day back up timing a U16/U19 ski race. I love supporting racing but standing outside for 5 hours writing down times while everyone else gets to enjoy skiing/riding wasn't that fun. I did however get to ride down the closed race runs since I was volunteering.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot . posted:

beach life best life

That looks very nice! Where is that at?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That looks very nice! Where is that at?

Telleride

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot . posted:

Telleride

Cool! I have heard that it is just wonderful there. I even think there was an article in thread about it earlier. I really wanted to go there this year, but it seems like it is quite difficult to get to if you are not already within driving distance? The closest airport (for non mega wealth) is Montrose and I think that was about 2 hours away, and expensive? Any tips on trying to visit there from afar? I ended up booking a trip to Deer Valley instead this year because it was easier to get to, but maybe if I plan a little more in advance I could arrange a trip there for a more reasonable cost. Is it good for families?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Cool! I have heard that it is just wonderful there. I even think there was an article in thread about it earlier. I really wanted to go there this year, but it seems like it is quite difficult to get to if you are not already within driving distance? The closest airport (for non mega wealth) is Montrose and I think that was about 2 hours away, and expensive? Any tips on trying to visit there from afar? I ended up booking a trip to Deer Valley instead this year because it was easier to get to, but maybe if I plan a little more in advance I could arrange a trip there for a more reasonable cost. Is it good for families?

It’s a common misconception. The extra flight from Denver to Montrose is what makes it expensive, but there are flights directly to Montrose from a lot of major hubs. Atlanta, Charlotte, Newark, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco and LA all have direct flights to Montrose. The shuttle is an hour and a half which is less than what you’d spend in a car from Denver to Breck. Look at the Victorian Inn or the Mountainside Inn for cheap hotel options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tomorrow is my free day and it looks like there are going to be 30+ mph winds along the front range. :negative: