Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm all for screwing dealers, but I'd factor in never buying anything there again... or getting any sort of goodwill as well as fighting for everything that comes after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Most dealers turn over their entire staff every year. I wouldn't worry about it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
34k, 36.9 OTD for a 2018 Golf R with 5k miles. Decent deal?

700 doc fee and 137 "other" fees.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
From what I've seen locally that's pretty good.

I might go talk to the folks up in Greeley about the one they have over the next couple days. 2017 with 8k miles for 32k is one of the better prices I've seen. I still want to drive an RS though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Righteously impressed with VW's ability to design for obsolescence. 16 GTI

My coolant reservoir was bone dry this morning. 37102 miles. :smithicide:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

fknlo posted:

From what I've seen locally that's pretty good.

I might go talk to the folks up in Greeley about the one they have over the next couple days. 2017 with 8k miles for 32k is one of the better prices I've seen. I still want to drive an RS though.

That's an insane price! A dealer nearby has a 2015 with 43k miles and they want $35,000 :wtc:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone here with a mk7 GTI - When you change the traction control setting, does the button light up? I can't remember as I don't normally gently caress with it, but have been lately due to snow. The button works, but doesn't seem to say light up orange like changing the mode selector. I need to check if it still lights up white as well...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrueChaos posted:

Anyone here with a mk7 GTI - When you change the traction control setting, does the button light up? I can't remember as I don't normally gently caress with it, but have been lately due to snow. The button works, but doesn't seem to say light up orange like changing the mode selector. I need to check if it still lights up white as well...

You should only get a notification on the dash as far as I know. Also remember that it doesn't actually turn traction control off, just makes it take slightly more wheelspin for it to kick in. It's probably my biggest complaint with the car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

You should only get a notification on the dash as far as I know. Also remember that it doesn't actually turn traction control off, just makes it take slightly more wheelspin for it to kick in. It's probably my biggest complaint with the car.

If you press and hold it you get a less restrictive mode, I can’t recall what it is off the top of my head.

The only way to have a true TCS defeat is through VCDS.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I bought some 17” wheels for the GTI so I can put these 245 monsters on the SUV.

Holy poo poo they aren’t kidding on the clearance for 17” wheels.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If you press and hold it you get a less restrictive mode, I can’t recall what it is off the top of my head.

The only way to have a true TCS defeat is through VCDS.

Holding it down just turns ESC down a little as well on the GTI. TCS seems the same as just the button press from my experience.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I have a mk7 and live on a hill. So far I've only had to hit the TCS button once to get home and that was the other day after we had a bunch of freezing rain followed by several inches of snow. In regular wintry weather it plows up the hill with no issues.

Can't say the same about both Honda Civics Si I had. It was pretty much a given to turn TCS off to get home.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TrueChaos posted:

I keep my car in individual and I want to say it stays illuminated.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

I keep my car in individual and I want to say it stays illuminated.

That’s the drive mode

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Righteously impressed with VW's ability to design for obsolescence. 16 GTI

My coolant reservoir was bone dry this morning. 37102 miles. :smithicide:

I had the same thing and limped it along as I thought I was out of the standard warranty period; I'd suggest taking it to the dealership for the water pump warranty replacement, though if mine was a hose they said it would be $80 to diagnose and not a warranty repair, obviously. The replacement at least is more sturdy. If you haven't had the suction pump recall done make sure you're below 1/4 tank when you drop it off. This recall started hitting my car right before I took it in and the stench of gas was still there the following morning, though old gas, you know?

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

My current daily driver is a 2 door 2009 Rabbit which is a fun zippy little car. But I now have a toddler which means two more doors would be pretty handy when the little one needs a ride with me. We use our more comfy Camry for most family trips, I drive by myself in this one like 85% of the time, and my commute is pretty short so mileage is not too much of a concern.

So I found a 50K mile 2013 GTI I'm considering as a replacement because well, I need my fun I guess?

Price seems about right, $14300 out the door thru haggle-free shift dot com.

On the terrible / awesome decision axis, how am I doing, thread?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Seems like a reasonable purchase. Hopefully it has some maintenance records? If not you may have an intake manifold replacement coming up soon, approx. $900 if the dealer does it.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Nuts and Gum posted:

Seems like a reasonable purchase. Hopefully it has some maintenance records? If not you may have an intake manifold replacement coming up soon, approx. $900 if the dealer does it.

I had the intake issue on my 2011 happen about six months ago and even though the car is very out of warranty it was no charge at the dealership. Apparently vw extended for that specifically? I don't know for sure, I was just happy to not have a bill.

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

God help me I got a hot hatch.

Not too much of a drastic change in feel from the Rabbit to be honest, I mean it's faster and handles better but it's all more understated than I thought it would, which is actually fine with me. Here's hoping the dashboard light gremlins stay away.

Hanging out in the organic grocery parking lot:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Very nice! I like those rims.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Very nice! I like those rims.

Agreed never seen those before but I dig them.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Oddhair posted:

I had the same thing and limped it along as I thought I was out of the standard warranty period; I'd suggest taking it to the dealership for the water pump warranty replacement, though if mine was a hose they said it would be $80 to diagnose and not a warranty repair, obviously. The replacement at least is more sturdy. If you haven't had the suction pump recall done make sure you're below 1/4 tank when you drop it off. This recall started hitting my car right before I took it in and the stench of gas was still there the following morning, though old gas, you know?

I guess I'll run the vin this afternoon, I bought it from a Porsche dealership on trade-in before they could get rid of it, one would've hoped they would've checked for any recalls though maybe not. I am aware of the water pump thing, I may call my local indie that I've bmw business with in the past and ask them, too. Once I filled it back up it seems fine, though it wasn't with Pentosin as I live out in the sticks so I had to just grab what the gas station had in stock. Like I said, *COMPLETELY* dry.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Delivery dude had a FiST and parked behind mine.

"nice car"
"you too"
"ever get stopped by a cop?"
"not in this"
:hfive:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone with some knowledge about the mk6 Golf R? I know the 7 is better, but if I found one at what I considered an agreeable price, exactly how lovely are they?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

Anyone with some knowledge about the mk6 Golf R? I know the 7 is better, but if I found one at what I considered an agreeable price, exactly how lovely are they?

I had one from new up until 30,000 miles and it was fantastic, though I can't speak to it's longevity.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's a hatch in spirit at least.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
no

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
do a burnout

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone with a FiST, older FoST, or any of the other bunch of vehicles these things work with have experience with the Diode Dynamics LED foglamps?

https://www.diodedynamics.com/luxeon-led-fog-lamps-type-a.html

One of my OEM fog lamps got rocked so I'm debating between just going with a junkyard OEM replacement or upgrading to the fancy ones.

Do they actually perform better or do they just look cooler?

Also either way do those film overlays you can buy at a few places actually do anything to protect from this sort of thing?

edit: Surprisingly the bulb actually still works, considering how often I've driven through rain and slush and such since it happened I'd have expected it to have popped the second I turned it on.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I've ordered diode dynamics bulbs for my current FoST and I had a few of their bulbs in my old G35 as well. They seem to break a lot more often and randomly than any other bulb solution I've ever used. They do have a warranty which they don't have any issues honoring at all, but it can be a pain when you get pulled over for having a taillight out two weeks after installing the LED replacements. Then the trunk light replacement LEDs have been working flawlessly for years.

I'm not sure if the same would apply for their entire fog light retrofit type kits which is what I think you're looking for. Just very hit and miss in regards to their individual LED bulbs.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The film might help it stay in one piece after a rock slams into it, but it's still going to spider and crack.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Any GTI bros have either the high or low note on your horn go out? My high note mysteriously vanished at some point. Rarely use it, so I'm assuming the vw horn is just poo poo.

I was looking at an aftermarket horns, seems like people like the Hellas.

I dunno. Should I go warranty or Hella?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Any GTI bros have either the high or low note on your horn go out? My high note mysteriously vanished at some point. Rarely use it, so I'm assuming the vw horn is just poo poo.

I was looking at an aftermarket horns, seems like people like the Hellas.

I dunno. Should I go warranty or Hella?

iirc for installing hellas you need to do something permanent. I can’t exactly remember what it was but it was enough for me to not consider it when I was looking at them.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, looks like you have to cut the wiring harness where it attaches to the horn and wire in the new one to ground/fuse box/etc.

Guess I'll warranty replace it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How does this look for a modded mk6 R?. That's a hefty mod list with nothing that really screams "ditching my black hole of a project". It looks like about all the stuff I'd want to do without any of the effort or extra money so that I can keep buying headphones or whatever my next hobby is in another month.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

fknlo posted:

How does this look for a modded mk6 R?. That's a hefty mod list with nothing that really screams "ditching my black hole of a project". It looks like about all the stuff I'd want to do without any of the effort or extra money so that I can keep buying headphones or whatever my next hobby is in another month.

They forgot to block out the plate on the front picture.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

My 2012 GTI seems to be slipping the clutch. It only has 90,000 miles and I’m not the clutch popping type, though idk about the previous owner (first 50,000 miles). Anyone else seen this? I had a mazda3 last to 200k miles without needing to replace the clutch, so this seems wrong.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

latinotwink1997 posted:

My 2012 GTI seems to be slipping the clutch. It only has 90,000 miles and I’m not the clutch popping type, though idk about the previous owner (first 50,000 miles). Anyone else seen this? I had a mazda3 last to 200k miles without needing to replace the clutch, so this seems wrong.

Are you sure it's not the ignition coils? I had a Mk6 GTI with what I thought was a slipping clutch (revs jumped/stuttering when at WOT in a high gear). Turned out to be the coils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Residency Evil posted:

Are you sure it's not the ignition coils? I had a Mk6 GTI with what I thought was a slipping clutch (revs jumped/stuttering when at WOT in a high gear). Turned out to be the coils.

That sounds like what’s happening to me. I’ll shift up, hit the gas and it’ll briefly jump up about 500-1000 rpm and kind of “stutter” as you say, until I let off. I’ll have to get that checked out.