Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

Just a reminder that Brando conspired to sexually assault a actress with the director of Last Tango in Paris and did in fact assault her.

Before everyone trips over trying to say how cool he was.

Right. And that should always be considered paramount over how much an rear end in a top hat he was on set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deadguy2322 posted:

Brando and Jodorowsky both raped actresses on film in the name of art.

Disgusting degenerate shitbags.

There's solid odds Jodorowsky was either entirely full of poo poo or deliberately misrepresenting the situation, FWIW.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There's solid odds Jodorowsky was either entirely full of poo poo or deliberately misrepresenting the situation, FWIW.

He talked about it in the last few years, and he’s been more honest about a lot of things. Basically, the rape scene in El Topo, he decided the reaction would be more genuine if he really raped the actress.

The actress corroborates the story.

He says he wouldn’t do it that way now, for what little that is worth.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Deadguy2322 posted:

He talked about it in the last few years, and he’s been more honest about a lot of things. Basically, the rape scene in El Topo, he decided the reaction would be more genuine if he really raped the actress.

The actress corroborates the story.

He says he wouldn’t do it that way now, for what little that is worth.

I don't think this is the case at all going by the actual scene in the movie plays out. The only mention I could find of the actresses name anywhere when I tried to learn more about this a while ago was of her appearing in a documentary about midnight movies in 2005 I couldn't find a copy of at the time. More importantly, unlike with Brando and Bertolucci being completely irredeemable pieces of poo poo this was actually arranged with the woman (her name is Mara Lorenzio) beforehand. IIRC after it was filmed how it was edited afterwards was informed by her telling Jodorowsky about how she had been raped irl too.

Whenever I tried to research this I'd find a lot of people echoing that it's an unsimulated sex scene (which it obviously is not if you watch the movie) and I could never find anything in her own words.

It's weird because of how he speaks though, I mean he's a sexual assault survivor himself going by Endless Poetry and, beyond how that relative treated him, depending on how you want to read the film he was also molested by his mom repeatedly. But I notice he often uses the word rape in English in weird ways too.

I couldn't find anything recent where he speaks about this either though.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 25, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright I googled to refresh my memory and, yeah, I was right, as far as I can tell:

nobody, up to and including possibly Jodorowsky himself given the sheer quantities of drugs he was on, has any idea what the gently caress happened on that set and Jodo himself has told the story in about 5 different mutually exclusive ways (and specifically pointed out the rape version as a lie to rile up critics). The actress, for her part, never worked in film before or since, seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth after the shooting of El Topo, and most certainly has not commented on this.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds like a typical smear.

Yeah, "they're not really a minority" is the most basic smear against any activist of any prominence

They're still using it against AOC lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Deadguy2322 posted:

Brando and Jodorowsky both raped actresses on film in the name of art.

Disgusting degenerate shitbags.

Wait loving what?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wait loving what?

See my and LORD OF BOOTY's posts regarding Jodorowsky.

When filming last Tango in Paris, Maria Schneider just knew that a sex scene was going to happen, but Brando and Bertolucci additionally conspired to have Brando lubricate her butthole with a stick of butter without informing her. The reason being that Bertolucci to paraphrase wanted her honest reaction as a girl, not an actress. So gently caress Brando and Bertolucci forever and also double Bertolucci forever for acting like he was sorry about it but like it was still some important artistic choice.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s absolute bullshit Toni Collette didn’t get nominated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

So that Cat People remake is pretty good right? I need to watch a few more classics before January ends and I guess it qualifies because it's a remake of a classic, but it's actually worth my time right?

Late to the party, but oh Jesus loving Christ no. It's got a good Bowie song, a nice opening shot and Nastassja Kinski with no clothes on, but everything else about it could suck a football through ten feet of garden hose.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

My man

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

strong agree. also alex wolff for the car scene alone but this is the fate of horror films in award shows

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

strong agree. also alex wolff for the car scene alone but this is the fate of horror films in award shows

It's so fuckin' lame because even beyond just horror folks, like Google "Toni Collette" and a bunch of the first links now are "Toni Collette was robbed," "Toni Collette Oscar snub," like her performance was fuckin' amazing and got real attention.

Need a Phantom of the Paradise-esque film about film award shows.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm gonna loving riot tbh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hereditary is the best loving movie

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Annihilation, Mandy, Hereditary and Suspiria all getting snubbed is p criminal

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pomp posted:

I don’t think Mandy could even be considered since it was released on VOD before being in theaters, or something to that effect.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pomp posted:

Take a breath and remind yourself that the Oscars aren't actually about what's good.

Like, I'm a big fan of Nick Cave, but I don't get all worked up when he isn't nominated for a bunch of awards. I know any album he releases in any year is going to be light years past whatever bullshit wins a bunch of awards in the same year. It's not really worth getting worked up about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

InfiniteZero posted:

Take a breath and remind yourself that the Oscars aren't actually about what's good.

Like, I'm a big fan of Nick Cave, but I don't get all worked up when he isn't nominated for a bunch of awards. I know any album he releases in any year is going to be light years past whatever bullshit wins a bunch of awards in the same year. It's not really worth getting worked up about.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Not pictured above: a man who is concerned about releasing an album that beats out Imagine Dragons for some award.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s not like I ever expect horror films to get a lot of recognition at the Oscars, but I thought for sure Collette would at least be nominated. Hereditary was critically acclaimed and so much it was on the shoulders of her performance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

InfiniteZero posted:

Not pictured above: a man who is concerned about releasing an album that beats out Imagine Dragons for some award.

So I got extremely mixed up and thought "Nick Cave" was actually a typo for "Nick Cage" and we were still talking about Mandy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

InfiniteZero posted:

To be clear, I am just posting and am not actually upset not do I care about the Oscars in any capacity except when shape of water won best picture that was cool

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pomp posted:

To be clear, I am just posting and am not actually upset not do I care about the Oscars in any capacity except when shape of water won best picture that was cool

So long as we're being clear, I am in the unpopular opinion camp with Mark Kermode about Herditary and thought it was total poo poo in the first place.

We can all still get along.

MANDY was loving amazing though. Let's talk about that more.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mandy not getting public outrage for no nomination for best score is a real snub tbh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one knows Mandy exists except nerds

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I literally would not have known it existed except for this thread and a few random Cheddar Goblin memes.

But mostly I just went looking for "Cheddar Goblin" and was like "oh, that's part of that Nic Cage movie the horror thread is talking about?"

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Mandy actually couldn't win an academy award because it didn't run in theaters for long enough before going to VOD per their weirdo rules.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Honestly Mandy not even having a shot at cinematography just because of a technicality is a pretty good summary of why the Oscars are absolute bullshit. Artistry is often the last thing to be factored into going home with a statue.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it wont take home an osxar bur it has takrmen our hearts and thats what matters

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kvlt are you drunk

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
His favorite movie is Evil Bong.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

drink a glass of water before you got to bed, kvlt. either way.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Almost Blue posted:

Mandy actually couldn't win an academy award because it didn't run in theaters for long enough before going to VOD per their weirdo rules.

There is a Netflix film up for besr picture.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bluedeanie posted:

There is a Netflix film up for besr picture.

Yes, which Netflix carefully screened in theaters ahead of VOD in LA/NY according to the rules for Oscar qualifications.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

See my and LORD OF BOOTY's posts regarding Jodorowsky.

When filming last Tango in Paris, Maria Schneider just knew that a sex scene was going to happen, but Brando and Bertolucci additionally conspired to have Brando lubricate her butthole with a stick of butter without informing her. The reason being that Bertolucci to paraphrase wanted her honest reaction as a girl, not an actress. So gently caress Brando and Bertolucci forever and also double Bertolucci forever for acting like he was sorry about it but like it was still some important artistic choice.

That's incredibly hosed.

Also this part of the sentence:

quote:

lubricate her butthole with a stick of butter

Sounds funnier than it actually is in my head.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well, I immediately fell behind on this thread. That doesn't matter now though. I'm heading to Sundance in *check clock* 15 minutes and here are the horror or horror adjacent movies I'll be seeing:

The Nightingale

quote:

Writer/director Jennifer Kent’s The Nightingale premiered in the 2018 Venice International Film Festival’s Venezia 75 competition. Kent launched her debut feature, The Babadook, in the Midnight section at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.

One night in 1820s Tasmania, Clare, a young Irish convict, loses everything she holds dear after her family is horrifically attacked. She’s immediately driven to track down and seek revenge against the British officer who oversaw the horror, so she enlists the service of an Aboriginal tracker named Billy. Marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past, Billy reluctantly agrees to take her through the interior of Tasmania. On this brutal quest for blood, Clare gets much more than she bargained for.

A snarling Aisling Franciosi drives this merciless revenge thriller through the unforgiving land of 19th-century Tasmania, a time when British colonists nearly decimated Aboriginal Tasmanians. With horrors around every corner, Jennifer Kent’s new nightmare will traumatize the weak of heart, but those willing will discover a majestic achievement most striking in its haunting moments of grace.

The Lodge

quote:

Devoted to their devastated mother, siblings Aidan and Mia resent Grace, the younger woman their newly separated father plans to marry. They flatly reject Grace’s attempts to bond, and they dig up dirt on her tragic past—but soon they find themselves trapped with her, snowed in in a remote holiday village after their dad heads back to the city for work. Just as relations begin to thaw, strange and frightening events threaten to unearth psychological demons from Grace’s strictly religious childhood.

An unblinking study of human frailty, The Lodge offers a haunting exploration of the traumatic aftershocks of religious devotion while positing that some evils just don’t die. Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala build an overwhelming disquiet from this visceral and stylish film’s very first scene, before nestling their claustrophobic thriller within a disorientingly endless snow-filled landscape. Riley Keough exudes fragility as well-meaning Grace’s every good intention leads her deeper back toward the hell of her own past, while Jaeden Martell and Lia McHugh do impressive work as the kids’ practiced defiance turns to fear.

A Hole in the Ground

quote:

Sarah moves her precocious son, Chris, to a secluded new home in a rural town, trying to ease his apprehensions as they hope for a fresh start after a difficult past. But after a startling encounter with a mysterious new neighbor, Sarah’s nerves are set on edge. Chris disappears in the night into the forest behind their house, and Sarah discovers an ominous, gaping sinkhole while searching for him. Though he returns, some disturbing behavioral changes emerge, and Sarah begins to worry that the boy who came back is not her son.

Lee Cronin’s exquisitely crafted and sublimely atmospheric feature debut pairs unsettling camera work with a deeply ominous score, casting even such innocuous images as a row of toys or a children’s recital in markedly sinister light. Seána Kerslake delivers an impressively controlled performance as a mother who has centered her strength around protecting her child but finds her devotion overcome by a terrified feeling—that there’s an impostor in her house, and he’s watching her as closely as she’s watching him.

Wounds

quote:

Will is a bartender in New Orleans. He has a great job, great friends, and a girlfriend, Carrie, who loves him. He skates across life’s surface, ignoring complications and concentrating on enjoying the moment. One night at the bar, a violent brawl breaks out, which injures one of his regular customers and causes some college kids to leave behind a cell phone in their haste. Will begins receiving disturbing texts and calls from the stranger’s phone. While Will hopes to not get involved, Carrie gets lost down a rabbit hole investigating this strange malevolence. They’ve discovered something unspeakable, and it’s crawling slowly into the light.

Writer/director Babak Anvari returns to terrify at the Sundance Film Festival Midnight section with this adaptation of the novella The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud. From its opening scene, Wounds strikes an uneasy tone that begins to fester and continues to spread until its shocking climax. Armie Hammer revels in this unlikely turn that allows his attractive smile to fade away and reveals the true creature that may be lurking on the inside.

Koko-di Koko-da

quote:

Knowing their relationship is falling apart, Elin and Tobias embark on a mirthless camping trip hoping to find their way back to one another. Instead, they find themselves in an endless loop of torment, humiliation, and tangled dreams at the hands of a troupe of outlandishly distorted nursery-rhyme antagonists.

Festival alumnus Johannes Nyholm (whose short Las Palmas played at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival) creates a savage riff on Groundhog Day set to the haunting rhythm of a music-box melody. He deploys the darkest of circumstances to explore how a couple crippled by despair and embittered against each other try to fight their way back to one another. Injected with bursts of sadistic imagination and twisted slapstick, Koko-di Koko-da is a psychological horror film set within the nightmarish landscape between wakefulness and sleep, giving a tangible, physical manifestation of a relationship in disrepair.

Corporate Animals

quote:

Lucy (Demi Moore) is the egotistical, megalomaniac CEO of Incredible Edibles, America’s premier provider of edible cutlery. In her infinite wisdom, Lucy leads her staff, including her long-suffering assistants, Freddie (Karan Soni) and Jess (Jessica Williams), on a corporate team-building caving weekend in New Mexico. When disaster strikes, not even their useless guide, Brandon (Ed Helms), can save them. Trapped underground by a cave-in, this mismatched and disgruntled group must pull together in order to survive.

Director Patrick Brice brings together an unlikely cast of characters, locks them in a cave, and lets them go. What follows is a nightmarish study of human social interaction, all the while asking the question: What happens when people stop competing against each other and band together against their oppressor? Brice creatively weaves each character’s arc into the larger theme, playing their humanity against their animality as they fall prey to their base nature. Twelve people trapped in a cave, food is depleting, truths are revealed, betrayals and manipulations are exposed, alliances are made—what could possibly go wrong?

Sweetheart

quote:

Washing ashore onto a desolate island, Jen (Kiersey Clemons) has already survived a harrowing ordeal. Stranded and alone, she searches for shelter. Finding only the scattered remains of a long-abandoned campground and weary from her terrible journey, she collapses in hope of a peaceful rest. But night is when it’s most dangerous here. That’s when the creature comes. And when it slithers out of the water, it must feed.

Returning to the Sundance Film Festival after the genre-bending Sleight wowed audiences in 2016, director JD Dillard brings a refreshingly scrappy yet sophisticated sense of urgency and ingenuity to the classic creature feature. Kiersey Clemons owns every frame of the story, shining each step of the way as she’s forced to outrun, outwit, and outfight an otherworldly thing that hunts her each night. Methodically stripping this Blumhouse Productions chiller down to the raw essentials, Dillard shrewdly keeps the tension on a calculated simmer until the moment it boils.

Little Monster

quote:

After a rough breakup, directionless Dave (Alexander England) crashes at his sister’s place and spends his days expanding his young nephew’s questionable vocabulary. When an opportunity arises to chaperone an upcoming school excursion alongside the charming and enigmatic teacher, Miss Caroline (Lupita Nyong’o), Dave jumps at the chance to impress her. What he wasn’t anticipating was Teddy McGiggle (Josh Gad), an obnoxious children’s television personality who shapes the excursion’s activities. What he was expecting even less was a zombie invasion, which unfolds after an experiment at a nearby military base goes awry. Armed only with the resourcefulness of kindergartners, Dave, Miss Caroline, and Teddy must work together to keep the monsters at bay and carve a way out with their guts intact.

Doused with a generous helping of absurdity, and pitch-perfect in its timing, this genre comedy forges a path all its own, blending gore and wit like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Writer-director Abe Forsythe has crafted a wild, frenetic ride with Little Monsters, bolstered by a knowing self-awareness and an uproarious cast.

The Wolf Hour

quote:

It’s July 1977, and New York City is awash with escalating violence. A citywide blackout is triggering fires, looting, and countless arrests, and the Son of Sam murders are riddling the city with panic. June, once a celebrated counterculture figure, attempts to retreat from the chaos by shutting herself inside the yellowed walls of her grandmother’s South Bronx apartment. But her doorbell is ringing incessantly, the heat is unbearable, and creeping paranoia and fear are taking hold. Visitors, some invited, some unsolicited, arrive one by one, and June must determine whom she can trust and whether she can find a path back to her former self.

With Hitchcockian tautness, writer-director Alistair Banks Griffin flawlessly captures the style and texture of the 1970s and the interior unraveling of a woman who, like her city, is teetering on a knife-edge. Naomi Watts’s astonishing performance is that of an antihero racked with paralyzing anxiety. In this eerily resonant allegory for our times, she is, like all of us, weighing her actions in a world on the brink of collapse.

I'll let y'all know if any of them turn out to be good.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My dudes what’s a good horror podcast to listen to? My regular podcasts are a bit slow this month and I need entertainment for my commute to work

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I watched Annihilation and Mandy back to back and now my brain doesn't work right.

They were both great but Mandy was the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fart City posted:

drink a glass of water before you got to bed, kvlt. either way.

i dont drink water i acquire all the energy i need thru kale

i still need to see mandy somebody come watch it with me