Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the liquid leaking out from the holes. It’s already out of the meat, so it’s not going to help the final product and as long as we’re not talking about multiple fist-sized holes I wouldn’t expect it to affect the effectiveness of the crutch. (I don’t crutch very often, but I do wrap with kraft paper or whatever for keeping stuff warm; unwaxed butcher paper basically. I’ve never had anything poke through that I can recall.)

Agree with all of this. If you're trying to save the fluids or your floor use a drip pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I never foil my ribs and they're always amazing.

Maybe I need to finally give it a try and see what I might be missing...

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Came out a little tough and pretty dry.

Another day I guess.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I both foil and not foil ribs. Depends on my mood, if I want it softer, or if I want a better bark. Both ribs are delicious imo, it doesn't matter that much in the end.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm smoking a ~15lb spatchcocked turkey today in a Masterbuilt 30" using pecan. Not sure yet if I can do it all in one rack or if I need to split the bird into 2 halves. I was going to do the 225F / 30m per lb method with it.

Anyway, I am not sure I am going to be able to dial in the cooking time just right to get it coming off the grill 30 mins before a dinner party starts etc. If I were to just start smoking it earlier in the day and it finishes up a few hours early, what's the best method to keep this thing at good moisture etc? I am not worried about presentation all that much, so I can slice and cover the meat and just heat it up gently while covered in the oven for dinner tonight etc. Could I also maybe just turn the smoker down to 150-160F and just leave it a lot longer after its internal temp hit 165?

Just wondering if anyone has some advice on best way to keep this as juicy and tender as it could be.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Oooh. I'm guessing that keeping it at temp would almost certainly dry it out.

I would aim for it to come off the smoker an 45 minutes - an hour before you need it. I've rested a turkey (tented in a pan) for that long before and it was still piping hot, and better for the long rest. That way you have some wiggle room if it needs an extra 30 minutes.

Are you brining it? I've found that brined turkey cooks faster than what you expect. Also, there's nothing in a turkey that benefits from a low and slow 225. Crank that sucker up to 300 and get some crispy skin.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Canuckistan posted:

Oooh. I'm guessing that keeping it at temp would almost certainly dry it out.

I would aim for it to come off the smoker an 45 minutes - an hour before you need it. I've rested a turkey (tented in a pan) for that long before and it was still piping hot, and better for the long rest. That way you have some wiggle room if it needs an extra 30 minutes.

Are you brining it? I've found that brined turkey cooks faster than what you expect. Also, there's nothing in a turkey that benefits from a low and slow 225. Crank that sucker up to 300 and get some crispy skin.

Ah, thanks, yes I was worried about dryout as well. This is my 1st time using an electric smoker. In the past I've done two 20+lb turkeys at a time in a charcoal tube smoker for like overnight and having them done at 11am the next day. So, this is a bit different. I'm also doing a 9 lb pork shoulder in the top rack, but less worried about the pork because it's pretty forgiving on overcooking.

Party starts at 4, dinner served at 6. It's at my place. Mostly I just want to be sure that I'm not having to put off dinner forever while things continue to cook. You're right about no benefit to low and slow here and I wasn't really thinking of cranking up the temp for some reason. I can toss in the pork shoulder early and score and crisp the skin on that too if I need to crank everything up towards the end. I guess I'll put stuff on about 11am and that should be close enough?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you wrap it in foil and then a towel or two and put it in a cooler it’ll keep pretty warm for quite a while

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes a cooler and towels are a smokers best friend. Saved my butt(s) plenty of times.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Seconding both dry brining and that it'll smoked a bit quicker than you'd guess.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

That Works posted:

Ah, thanks, yes I was worried about dryout as well. This is my 1st time using an electric smoker. In the past I've done two 20+lb turkeys at a time in a charcoal tube smoker for like overnight and having them done at 11am the next day. So, this is a bit different. I'm also doing a 9 lb pork shoulder in the top rack, but less worried about the pork because it's pretty forgiving on overcooking.

Party starts at 4, dinner served at 6. It's at my place. Mostly I just want to be sure that I'm not having to put off dinner forever while things continue to cook. You're right about no benefit to low and slow here and I wasn't really thinking of cranking up the temp for some reason. I can toss in the pork shoulder early and score and crisp the skin on that too if I need to crank everything up towards the end. I guess I'll put stuff on about 11am and that should be close enough?

Remember that a MES wont go much above 275. When I do my turkey (beer can style, not spatchcock) I put them in the oven to glaze and crisp skin. Crank your oven up to 500 and put it in there for 10-15 minutes with whatever glaze you want on it. I used a maple syrup (use the real stuff) & honey glaze last year and it was great and didn't mask the smokey flavor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I do think 225 is too low. I will be the odd one out and say that the spatchcocked turkey I made last year at 275 in my MES 30 was great. The father-in-law who had done a lot of smoking and just got a MES 30 and he was also super happy with it.

[Edit: I was planning on moving it to the oven at the end to get things crispy but found I didn't need it. I do live in a dryer climate, not sure how much that plays a part.]

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
20 minutes left of the 72 hour sous vide then smoked beef ribs. Toss them on the smoker, begin the wine sauce, and wife chooses that time to tell me she just wants ramen noodles because she has a migraine.

The upside is I have a lot of beef ribs to eat myself. The downside is that reheating the leftovers is going to melt my loving soul.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Be careful taking them out of the bath/bag. They will most likely fall apart if I had to guess. I try to use my really long tongs to grab the length of rips from one end to the other. ( note these are pork rips so maybe you won't have the same problem.)
Also you better post picture.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

20 minutes left of the 72 hour sous vide then smoked beef ribs. Toss them on the smoker, begin the wine sauce, and wife chooses that time to tell me she just wants ramen noodles because she has a migraine.

The upside is I have a lot of beef ribs to eat myself. The downside is that reheating the leftovers is going to melt my loving soul.

Yeah, we've all been there and understand.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, we've all been there and understand.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

sterster posted:

Be careful taking them out of the bath/bag. They will most likely fall apart if I had to guess. I try to use my really long tongs to grab the length of rips from one end to the other. ( note these are pork rips so maybe you won't have the same problem.)
Also you better post picture.

No pics of what I ate tonight, but after further thought they SHOULD be decent if I toss them on the smoker again tomorrow, or better yet foil with the wine sauce to braise as they warm up. I had no problem removing from the bags, as soon as I pulled from the puddle I dunked into iced water for 20 minutes or so, and then tossed on the smoker for 30 minutes. I think the iced water firmed them up a bunch.

What I DID eat were pretty awesome. Great texture and beefiness.

These were boneless from Costco (they didn’t have the giant dino bone-ins.
72 hours in the puddle @ 144F
20 minutes in ice bath
30 minutes in mesquite @ 225F
Sauce made from the bag juices, red wine and butter

edit: the silver lining is that I took the largest bag from the ice bath and immediately put in the deep freeze. Will easily SV/smoke in a pinch.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 26, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
72 hours seems like a long time for ribs. Interested in hearing your trip report.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

72 hours seems like a long time for ribs. Interested in hearing your trip report.

I read a bunch of different time/temp options and really wanted to stretch it out over a long puddling with Dr Sous. Normally with the dino beef ribs I would smoke for a bunch of hours and then braise for a few in red wine sauce. The results were normally hit and miss depending on if that particular cow had been tougher or more laid back.

Doing the low 144F for this long a period meant that the bugs were sufficiently dead, the meat fiber sciency stuff happened without question and I could enjoy a short smoke at the end with a beer. I honestly had my doubts, especially when they seemed to get all rigor mortised in the ice bath. Was afraid that they dried out and would be tough. Nothing of the sort though. Once they were warmed with the gentle caress of my mesquite (closest chunks on hand, could have gone with hickory) they loosened right up. Interior was a nice pink medium, juicy with just the right amount of bite. No bark, but maybe in the future I’ll get a decent torch for a final crust.

The most difficult thing about this weeks adventure was getting the air out of the vac sealed bags and actually having to place heavy bolts on the ones that insisted on floating. It really did seem like a nice partnership of smoker and SV.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 26, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I toss on some plates for the floaters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks all for the tips on the turkey spatchcock in the MES30.

It did cook super quickly. I ended up carving it and basting the white meat afterwards with a little salt and butter melted with some of the lemon that got smoked along with the cavity. It worked out well. Didn't get pics because I was doing a lot of other cooking and prep for a ~25 person party.

One thing that was surprising was the smoke still came out pretty thick and black and left the skin fairly bitter and not good to look at. I've traditionally done 2x 20+lb turkeys in a charcoal smoker overnight and they come out black but taste great. I was just sorta expecting a quick spatchcocked one in the MES30 to be not so dark. I used pecan wood chunks, got some going 30 mins before putting the bird in as the smoker got up to temp. The initial wood was dry and after the 1st hour I switched over to chips that had been soaking for around 2h or more. I fed chips in every 1 to 1.5 hrs. This was my 1st time using the MES30.

The pork shoulder I threw in also was just totally sooty and blackened. I did the break-in procedure on the smoker as instructed before using. What did I do wrong? Fortunately everything still came out super tasty and was all well cooked, but wondering if I can do better next time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Have you never seen smoked meat? It's black, it's supposed to be black it is being covered with smoke for hours.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Have you never seen smoked meat? It's black, it's supposed to be black it is being covered with smoke for hours.

That Works posted:

I've traditionally done 2x 20+lb turkeys in a charcoal smoker overnight and they come out black but taste great. I was just sorta expecting a quick spatchcocked one in the MES30 to be not so dark.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
So why are you confused about a normal thing that has happened to you before?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a difference between smoked and sooty. Sounds like you didn’t have light blue smoke but instead had heavy combustion smoke which tastes decidedly not good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There’s a difference between smoked and sooty. Sounds like you didn’t have light blue smoke but instead had heavy combustion smoke which tastes decidedly not good.

That was the case yes. Moreso than what I had in the old charcoal smoker. Any tips on avoiding that in the MES30?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

That was the case yes. Moreso than what I had in the old charcoal smoker. Any tips on avoiding that in the MES30?

Generally that’s about controlling airflow. Too much air is bad. Never used an MES30 though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You using the chip chute or an amazn tube/maze?

edit: re read your post. How did you use chunks?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

You using the chip chute or an amazn tube/maze?

Just brand new so used the default one with the smoker. Had bookmarked the tube for future purchase.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Where did you have the top vent set to? It is somewhat counterintuitive on the MES, it doesn't get enough airflow to get a clean burn. I usually yank the side hopper out (like an inch, so it is hanging...not trying to make a crude joke) then fully open the top. It does get starved for air.

Every do cherry? That is my go to with birds. Makes them look nice.

There is really no right or wrong. There are 1,000 variables. Hell I could show up with my MES, park it next to yours and probably crank out something different with the same formula.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Where did you have the top vent set to? It is somewhat counterintuitive on the MES, it doesn't get enough airflow to get a clean burn. I usually yank the side hopper out (like an inch, so it is hanging...not trying to make a crude joke) then fully open the top. It does get starved for air.

Every do cherry? That is my go to with birds. Makes them look nice.

There is really no right or wrong. There are 1,000 variables. Hell I could show up with my MES, park it next to yours and probably crank out something different with the same formula.

Mine was closed up pretty tight as people itt were talking about the relatively poor smoke output on the standard setup. That could be all that it was. Like, the smoke flavor in the meat itself was nice, but the smoke on the surface set in quick, was sooty black and pretty acrid comparative to previous smokes.

I've never tried cherry and I have a lot of it from woodworking now, thanks for the tip! Might try to smoke a chicken with it tomorrow or something. Growing up we had pecan trees in the yard so we just always smoked with that thus it's been my go-to for everything as I know what it will do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oh my dear lord, use cherry. It will look beautiful.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Cherry or apple is my go-to for pork or poultry.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Cherry or apple is my go-to for pork or poultry.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Pecan is a lot more mild than cherry and apple so it goes with everything.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Forgot to put my brisket in the smoker last night, so I'm back to doing it at 6AM and hoping it's done by dinner time (like every loving time I make brisket, I never learn :v:). It's only a 7 pound packer (like the veal of beef breast) after trimming so hopefully it works. Gonna up the temp to 275ish and see what happens.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Doing a packer brisket in my 30 mes. So somewhere around maybe 10lbs. But I'm going to assume I need to cut it in half to fit.

Parchment paper okay for the crutch?

How much to should I expect 2 5ishlb chunks to take to smoke. (I'm adding another hour for a rest in a cooler). Can I have it done early and cooler rest for a few hrs?

I've done "trimmed" smaller brisket (think they called it a roast) and they have taken longer than 1.5 to cook and last time it was a bit tough / dry but I'm assuming it had too much fat taken off of it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

tater_salad posted:

Doing a packer brisket in my 30 mes. So somewhere around maybe 10lbs. But I'm going to assume I need to cut it in half to fit.

Parchment paper okay for the crutch?

How much to should I expect 2 5ishlb chunks to take to smoke. (I'm adding another hour for a rest in a cooler). Can I have it done early and cooler rest for a few hrs?

I've done "trimmed" smaller brisket (think they called it a roast) and they have taken longer than 1.5 to cook and last time it was a bit tough / dry but I'm assuming it had too much fat taken off of it.

Bought a 14 lb packer, trimmed off about 2 lbs and cut it in half. Took me about 12 hours when i set the temp to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrapped at 165, took out at 203, let it sit for an hour before cutting. Turned out very moist and tender.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trimmed 2lbs of fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

tater_salad posted:

Trimmed 2lbs of fat?

From a packer, yes