Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gallatin posted:

Would a vm be best as a spare? I wouldn't have to have a $40 pi laying around just in case.
How would you handle failover, round robin? If you can set up a VM to begin with, just run pihole in a container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Everything that made chrome awesome is gone, so people use it just because it has momentum. There are better options out there now.

I’m a dumbass living under a rock. What are these better options? (I’m 100% serious.)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TraderStav posted:

Do any websites stop working because they throw a tantrum because the ads are blocked or does that problem not exist like in Chrome ad blockers?

Every now and again my pihole will break a shopping cart until I whitelist something, but the web ui makes it easy

Or if I'm feeling lazy just use the ui to disable it for 5 minutes whilst I checkout

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

bolind posted:

I’m a dumbass living under a rock. What are these better options? (I’m 100% serious.)

Firefox is good now. There was a huge rewrite early last year, and it's stable, easy on RAM, and it became easier to port extensions. It also doesn't have that new Fisher Price UI that Chrome forced a few updates ago.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Gallatin posted:

Would a vm be best as a spare? I wouldn't have to have a $40 pi laying around just in case.

Docker maybe?

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

AgentCow007 posted:

Docker maybe?

Interesting. I'd prefer to not have a vm as the primary dns for my network because all of my dev machines that host vms are connected via wifi, and this would just be a preemptive spare in the event the pi takes a dump. Running the DNS over wifi for a day or two to get a replacement pi (if/when necessry) would be fine. For that matter resetting the DNS in the dhcp server for a day or two would be fine as well.

However you mentioning Docker is interesting, I am going to see if I can run docker on my nas and run pihole from there. thanks!

simble
May 11, 2004

I run pihole from a docker container and it owns.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

simble posted:

I run pihole from a docker container and it owns.

Is there a good tutorial to get this set up on the Pi? I want to learn how to use Docker and am a novice at Linux so a guide will help learn the basics.

simble
May 11, 2004

Not sure... I run docker on a little Nuc PC running Linux. There's a docker image here https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole/

You could probably even run it in docker for windows if you wanted to.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If you are running PiHole in docker/a VM, are there any alternatives? Or just stick with PiHole because it's the most popular?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does that end up costing you more in energy since your computer can never go to sleep? Or does it somehow stay just the tiniest bit awake to keep running the pihole?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I acquired a pi 3B by way of a friend being handed it for free, and then him giving it to me. Seriously does anyone ever buy pis or do they just materialize?

I took it because I actually have a use for the thing. I have some ok bookshelf speakers and mini receiver that I pretty much never use these because they used to attach to a CD player and who uses physical media these days. If I want to play anything I have to plug my laptop or phone into them and it's not very convenient. So I'll use the pi as a music source. I want it to do two things:

Function 1: a music player that can play from local or SMB shared music, with a good remote interface. this seems to be covered well enough by pi musicbox. it looks to be actively developed, is that the best choice?
Function 2: stream audio over bluetooth. there's various instructions for this around, will that be fine layered on top of #1?

Question: While initially looking around, I see lots of talk about the audio output from a pi being garbo and people having additional soundcard devices. My mini receiver doesn't have a hdmi input, but does have optical & digital coax as well as analog. Should I get a sound card?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

Question: While initially looking around, I see lots of talk about the audio output from a pi being garbo and people having additional soundcard devices. My mini receiver doesn't have a hdmi input, but does have optical & digital coax as well as analog. Should I get a sound card?

I've had this board in my amazon wishlist forever, when I finally set up a pi as an audio receiver some day. I've read the same things that you have about the staticky stereo jack

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Klyith posted:

I acquired a pi 3B by way of a friend being handed it for free, and then him giving it to me. Seriously does anyone ever buy pis or do they just materialize?

I took it because I actually have a use for the thing. I have some ok bookshelf speakers and mini receiver that I pretty much never use these because they used to attach to a CD player and who uses physical media these days. If I want to play anything I have to plug my laptop or phone into them and it's not very convenient. So I'll use the pi as a music source. I want it to do two things:

Function 1: a music player that can play from local or SMB shared music, with a good remote interface. this seems to be covered well enough by pi musicbox. it looks to be actively developed, is that the best choice?
Function 2: stream audio over bluetooth. there's various instructions for this around, will that be fine layered on top of #1?

I found PiMusicBox buggy when I tried it a few months ago.

I like Volumio a lot better and the interface/setup is really slick.

The onboard analog audio is ok for a garage setup, but even a cheap USB sound card is noticeably better.

simble
May 11, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does that end up costing you more in energy since your computer can never go to sleep? Or does it somehow stay just the tiniest bit awake to keep running the pihole?

Sure but I’m running a bunch of things on that machine in other containers. OpenHAB, zoneminder, etc, etc. so it’s running anyways.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There are lots of optical audio hats for Pis, I guess I'd recommend trying them, they're cheap

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is there any popular software for essentially homebrewing a bootleg version of those Google/Amazon/Facebook screens out of like a Zero W and a cheap display? (Without the voice controls or integration with those services, obviously.) Imagining a web admin interface (or just a config file) where you give it some data sources to pull stuff like headlines or sports scores or stocks or whatever and some wallpapers, etc., and it just runs the display with those?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is there any popular software for essentially homebrewing a bootleg version of those Google/Amazon/Facebook screens out of like a Zero W and a cheap display? (Without the voice controls or integration with those services, obviously.) Imagining a web admin interface (or just a config file) where you give it some data sources to pull stuff like headlines or sports scores or stocks or whatever and some wallpapers, etc., and it just runs the display with those?

Something like this? https://www.balena.io/blog/make-a-web-frame-with-raspberry-pi-in-30-minutes/

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eddiewalker posted:

Cool, I'll start with that one.

also a quick search got me instructions for doing the bluetooth receiver thing on volumio so that takes care of job #2!

ante posted:

There are lots of optical audio hats for Pis, I guess I'd recommend trying them, they're cheap

ok, you've convinced me to order the cheapest thing on amazon since I was buying a sd card and power supply anyways. apparently this is a cheap chinese clone of the more respectable pi accessories, but if it's pure digital out the provenance shouldn't matter.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 3, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to block all of reddit.com with my pi-hole except for some specific subreddits. I spent some time figuring out how to do the regex for it and the regex rule works on regex101.com but it doesn’t block anything when I put it into pi-hole. I searched on google and it seems like what I want to do isn’t possible because pi-hole apparently can only block all of the (sub)domain or none of the (sub)domain, but nothing in between.

I don’t really understand why this wouldn’t be possible especially if I can give it a regex rule. Doesn’t pi-hole just like go “if website found in list then block it else pass it through?”

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’ve tried Pi Hole in the past and uninstalled it because I was getting issues with needing to change DNS for certain streams to work. Also I was a bit annoyed at how it straight-up broken certain websites because of CDNs.

Recent chatter in this thread has made me want to try again, but only if I can solve the issue of sites not working, as I also have other family members internet experiences to worry about.

Is it relatively simple to analyse something to be black or whitelisted and add it to the configuration? Also I assume a Pi Zero is good enough for this? The same box will also be running TinyProxy for occasional VPN use over SSH and also very rare python development use, so I’m thinking it’ll be fine.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Gallatin posted:

All of my piholes are running on centos 7 VMs. no issues.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to block all of reddit.com with my pi-hole except for some specific subreddits. I spent some time figuring out how to do the regex for it and the regex rule works on regex101.com but it doesn’t block anything when I put it into pi-hole. I searched on google and it seems like what I want to do isn’t possible because pi-hole apparently can only block all of the (sub)domain or none of the (sub)domain, but nothing in between.

I don’t really understand why this wouldn’t be possible especially if I can give it a regex rule. Doesn’t pi-hole just like go “if website found in list then block it else pass it through?”

Spitballing here, but I would imagine that pihole, being a DNS replacement, only works on domains and not the path part of the URL. Since all subreddits are still on reddit.com, you’re SOL.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Rutibex posted:

I wonder what Alen Turing would say about people in the future using a 1.4ghz quad core processor as desk clock, because they can't think of anything better to do with it.

Spell my name correctly?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boris Galerkin posted:

As bolind said, Pi-Hole is just a DNS blocker, so anything after the / is invisible to it. You only get domain-level granularity

This is why I've never been able to understand people who use it in place of UBO or similar browser-based blockers. DNS-based blocking is garbage in comparison.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

thehustler posted:

I’ve tried Pi Hole in the past and uninstalled it because I was getting issues with needing to change DNS for certain streams to work. Also I was a bit annoyed at how it straight-up broken certain websites because of CDNs.

Recent chatter in this thread has made me want to try again, but only if I can solve the issue of sites not working, as I also have other family members internet experiences to worry about.

Is it relatively simple to analyse something to be black or whitelisted and add it to the configuration? Also I assume a Pi Zero is good enough for this? The same box will also be running TinyProxy for occasional VPN use over SSH and also very rare python development use, so I’m thinking it’ll be fine.

Pi-Hole has a nifty web interface with a log that can shows you all of the domains it processed whether it got through or was blocked. Each entry has "Whitelist/Blacklist" button next to it so if you find something that's blocked, you can easily add it to the whitelist.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

eddiewalker posted:

I found PiMusicBox buggy when I tried it a few months ago.

The onboard analog audio is ok for a garage setup, but even a cheap USB sound card is noticeably better.

Before I flail uselessly at it, does Volumio work more or less flawlessly with a bluetooth speaker? I've noticed that the bluetooth out with the Pi Foundation's version of Raspbian seems to only work with certain apps, and only when you're logged in as pi, and only in the window manager. Makes bluetooth support look like a hack job.

I just wanna make a muzak player with a Pi and a bluetooth speaker, don't care about audiophile quality.

fake edit: nah just did a search on their site and it looks real iffy

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

doctorfrog posted:

Before I flail uselessly at it, does Volumio work more or less flawlessly with a bluetooth speaker? I've noticed that the bluetooth out with the Pi Foundation's version of Raspbian seems to only work with certain apps, and only when you're logged in as pi, and only in the window manager. Makes bluetooth support look like a hack job.

I just wanna make a muzak player with a Pi and a bluetooth speaker, don't care about audiophile quality.

fake edit: nah just did a search on their site and it looks real iffy

That seems counter to the concept. Most BT speakers have an aux-in and would make more sense for most people to use that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Seems so. Just wondering whether the thing that's bothering me is incidentally solved by another thing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Bluetooth on Linux is a poo poo show, it's not something specific to the Pi. Like all things bluetooth do everything you can to avoid having to use it. If there's an aux in input on your speaker absolutely use that or you'll drive yourself mad.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
It's not exactly a novel use, but I finally got round to moving my sabnzbd and sonarr instances from my desktop onto a pi 3b+, mainly to save energy with it being on 24/7.

A while back I'd run the whole setup on an old QNAP ts-512, but it wasn't up to the unraring bit any more, and choked on HD files. So I used its RAID array for storage and let the pi do the processing, which I guess says a lot about how far cheap processing power has come in a decade. Edit: and Ram, obviously, since the pi has twice as much.

The other reason was for learning a bit about docker, since each is running in a docker container, and by the time I had it set up and working at the end of the weekend history returned 740 items. But history | grep docker was only about sixty of those. The rest were me fumbling around pathetically, editing fstab and working out permissions on the mounted drive.

Endie fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 26, 2019

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

As bolind said, Pi-Hole is just a DNS blocker, so anything after the / is invisible to it. You only get domain-level granularity

This is why I've never been able to understand people who use it in place of UBO or similar browser-based blockers. DNS-based blocking is garbage in comparison.

I've been using a pi-hole for a little over a month and haven't encountered any sites that were broken by it, except for referral-links.
In the meantime it's cut down on 90% of ads I see, even in mobile apps where a browser-plugin isn't an option. Additionally, websites can't detect it so I don't end up having to whitelist sites. And of course the sites that block-ad-blocking are the ones that load so many ads I went to the ad-blocker in the first place...

Took 15 minutes to setup and it loving rules.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mod sassinator posted:

Bluetooth on Linux is a poo poo show, it's not something specific to the Pi. Like all things bluetooth do everything you can to avoid having to use it. If there's an aux in input on your speaker absolutely use that or you'll drive yourself mad.
Yep, I hear ya. For now, I have a working Bluetooth Muzak solution going with just using Raspbian, logged into the desktop as pi, and pointing mpv at a directory of background music files. I was using VLC, but it has hitches and sputters over bluetooth, but only when playing files, not streams. I have to log in with VNC to change anything, but it's reliable at piping music this way untouched for a good long time.

Raspberry Pi: Performs at 80% of your lowest expectations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Endie posted:

The other reason was for learning a bit about docker, since each is running in a docker container, and by the time I had it set up and working at the end of the weekend history returned 740 items. The rest were me fumbling around pathetically, editing fstab and working out permissions on the mounted drive.

Ah, I see you have figured out Linux

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anybody have a good recommendation for a powerbank that I can run my 3b off?

I'd really like one that charges and powers at the same time without dropping the power when connected to a wall outlet.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The only Anker left that charges while being charged is the 5,000mAh hybrid wall charger/battery. The rest of them cut off when being charged, Anker confirmed this is intentional in their support forums. Their first and second-gen chargers (that used flat lithium polymer batteries instead of the round cells) also did simultaneous charging in/out.

For the rest IDK.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Anybody have a good recommendation for a powerbank that I can run my 3b off?

I'd really like one that charges and powers at the same time without dropping the power when connected to a wall outlet.

I bought this one recently and it charges itself while powering at the same time:
Portable Charger 10000 RAVPower

I haven’t tried it on a pi yet but it maintains power on one of my arduino projects when plugging or unplugging from mains. Also love the built-in edison connector.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Put together my pi, got volumio working (which is good and easy, props for that recommendation)

At first I thought the SD card I got was bad or something, because both etcher and W32DiskImage were having write failures, or finishing a write but failing verify. Tried booting the pi with it anyways and no go. Then I was just trying to format the whole thing in exfat and that also failed out. I though I'd gotten a counterfeit card! Turns out my cheapo craptop has a lovely card reader, either it's broken or can't do SDXC. On my housemate's much older laptop it worked fine, first try.

After that everything was slick as spit. Digital audio out hat works perfectly.
Up next: make my own tiny case to hold the pi and cut the LED light pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://ownyourbits.com/2019/02/02/whats-wrong-with-the-raspberry-pi/
Good bit about the bootloader and how the GPU works.

Pi-hole is also good because it adblocks your phones and poo poo on wifi, too.