Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Radioisotope thermoelectric generator to distill saltwater?

Why bother with the electric generator?

Use decay heat to heat seawater directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Well, both men made it across Antarctica. I look forward to seeing what dumb idea someone will come up with next so they can also claim to be first.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I read that barrel guy has made 4 other transatlantic voyages by sailboat, so I guess he knows what to expect by now.

E: Also read that there's an old superstition among sailors that bananas are bad luck, but I suppose barrel guy's not really sailing but floating so hopefully he'll be ok.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 29, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

empty baggie posted:

I read that barrel guy has made 4 other transatlantic voyages by sailboat, so I guess he knows what to expect by now.

E: Also read that there's an old superstition among sailors that bananas are bad luck, but I suppose barrel guy's not really sailing but floating so hopefully he'll be ok.

He knows enough about sailing not to give a gently caress about superstition.

The sea doesn’t care if you whistle. It also doesn’t care if you live or die.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Maera Sior posted:

Well, both men made it across Antarctica. I look forward to seeing what dumb idea someone will come up with next so they can also claim to be first.

First ascent of Everest in a cauldron using a hammer, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSx_z1tmFZo

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kinda reminds me of Bionic Commando.

E: now that I’ve played it, it’s not Bionic Commando at all. It’s loving evil.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 30, 2018

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The NYT has a piece on Everest insurance fraud

quote:

NEW DELHI — International insurance companies on Friday threatened to end travel coverage to Nepal if the government did not crack down on elaborate helicopter rescue scams that target foreigners trekking near Mount Everest and other high-altitude peaks.

Last year, investigations by the Nepali government and Traveller Assist, a medical assistance company based in Ireland, found that some trek operators, guides, helicopter companies and even doctors and hospitals had conspired to bilk millions of dollars from insurance companies by pushing for emergency mountainside evacuations for minor illnesses, or when simpler treatment options were available.

The guides preyed on trekkers when they were most vulnerable — trudging up remote trails, cold, wet, sick, confused and miles from any well-serviced towns.

The Nepali government found evidence that some guides went as far as intentionally making hikers ill by spiking their food with large amounts of baking soda, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other ailments, and then calling for an emergency helicopter evacuation.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Talk about sacrificing your clients to the mountain gods.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Poisoning seems unneccessary when the average everest climber is exactly the kind of petit-bourge shitlord that would go along with the scam for a kickback

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
You can say a lot of bad things about Everest climbers, but probably not that they are eager to commit insurance fraud.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

Poisoning seems unneccessary when the average everest climber is exactly the kind of petit-bourge shitlord that would go along with the scam for a kickback

Kickbacks cost more than sodium bicarbonate.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got some kind of food poisoning in the middle of the Annapurna Circuit and had to spend like 18 hours puking and pooping but like hell was I gonna get airlifted out of there. Luckily it cleared up after than and I finished it just fine.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

rich person’s vacation gets ruined, insurance company gets scammed, workers in a developing country benefit. everyone wins!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Havent been keeping up with this thread. Any dumbass incel retard pieces of poo poo die on Mount Everest lately? That would be freakin epic

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Look at that edgy post

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Considering how weird the weather has been in the US, have the weather patterns on Everest been normal or are they having another low snowfall year? I figure with climate change we're going to see a lot more dangerous cracks and avalanches happening

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

RedMagus posted:

Considering how weird the weather has been in the US, have the weather patterns on Everest been normal or are they having another low snowfall year? I figure with climate change we're going to see a lot more dangerous cracks and avalanches happening

hell yeah can't wait!! :fap:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

hell yeah can't wait!! :fap:

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Havent been keeping up with this thread. Any dumbass incel retard pieces of poo poo die on Mount Everest lately? That would be freakin epic
Not yet, so you can be the first! Congratulations!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
usually the people concern trolling the everest thread have a negative postcount but this guy is 6k+. maybe he worked at google and knew that exec who died the day after he posted a instagram pic of him drinking espresso over a crevasse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Maybe he got confused and thought there was a bonus for being the first person to concern troll this Everest season.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Haifisch posted:

Maybe he got confused and thought there was a bonus for being the first person to concern troll this Everest season.

Somebody needs to start a pool on how many people will troll this thread this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the first half-asian half-hispanic Turkish citizen quadriplegic person with scabies to troll the thread this season

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gohuskies posted:

Somebody needs to start a pool on how many people will troll this thread this year.

We're the most active thread in Take A Hike instead of GBS now, so -10

No one who hasn't bookmarked it will ever find it again.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

A sub-forum encouraging goons to go outside to places without Wi-Fi was doomed from the start.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

iirc take a hike was a gbs2.0 ironic troll

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
What is the climbing conditions of Everest these days? They've had an earthquake and a huge amount of melt last I remember, are any of the normal routes still usable?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

RedMagus posted:

What is the climbing conditions of Everest these days? They've had an earthquake and a huge amount of melt last I remember, are any of the normal routes still usable?

It's still winter, most summits happen in May so you'll see teams for the spring push show up in early May.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

More blood for the mountain god, which seems to have cursed a family. Alison Hargreaves died descending K2 in 1995; her son Tom Ballard's body was just found on Nanga Parbat.

There's nothing to mock here, it's just sad.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Norrskensren posted:

More blood for the mountain god, which seems to have cursed a family. Alison Hargreaves died descending K2 in 1995; her son Tom Ballard's body was just found on Nanga Parbat.

There's nothing to mock here, it's just sad.

Oh man, Daniele Nardi died with him. For those who don't know the name, Chris Warner did a Google Talk about his experience climbing up K2 in 2007 and one of the teams that summited alongside his team was an Italian team led by Daniele Nardi. Chris Warner did not have very nice things to say about him.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

K2 hungers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

K2 hungers.

Everest has more opportunity, K2 takes advantage of just about every opportunity it gets.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I just watched "The Summit" on Hulu and it was very good. K2 is a killer

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

VoodooXT posted:

Oh man, Daniele Nardi died with him. For those who don't know the name, Chris Warner did a Google Talk about his experience climbing up K2 in 2007 and one of the teams that summited alongside his team was an Italian team led by Daniele Nardi. Chris Warner did not have very nice things to say about him.
This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkC9IMQmYA

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Yep, that's the one. Good talk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Everest were three hundred metres shorter, would more people die climbing mountains or fewer?

I can’t imagine a K2 remotely as crowded as Everest is today, but it could be a lot less crowded and kill just as many people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You'd probably get idiots wanting to do it with no experience, but you probably wouldn't get as many people willing to drag someone to the top for money.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

Oh right! I knew I'd heard the name before and had something of a negative association with it, but didn't realise he was that guy.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

did china finish building a road to their Tibet’s side of everest? i heard that was the plan

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The way this guy just casually talks about numbers of people dying in just the first 10 minutes or so is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

Oh man, Daniele Nardi died with him.

The mountains have their revenge. That is a hell of a talk, in some ways a worse story than the The Summit because lessons should have been learnt. That's also the first time someone clearly said that there wasn't enough rope, it may have been said in the doco but I don't recall it.