Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Archer666 posted:

Dude's wrong on how 4chan works. You can see the number of unique people that post in a thread, so you can't really start a fake conversation with yourself without looking like a major idiot to everyone.
That's really only true if you're trying to actually start a fake argument with yourself from zero or you're trying to make a thread with 3-4 participants look like 20. No one's going to audit a thread with 30 participants just to suss out that there's actually only 29 active IPs.

Plus you can easily fuzz it anyway just by antagonizing yourself from your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

FoldableHuman posted:

That's really only true if you're trying to actually start a fake argument with yourself from zero or you're trying to make a thread with 3-4 participants look like 20. No one's going to audit a thread with 30 participants just to suss out that there's actually only 29 active IPs.

Plus you can easily fuzz it anyway just by antagonizing yourself from your phone.

You dont really need to audit a thread since the built in board functionality tracks IP's, which is how it calculates the number of people posting on a certain thread. See:

You could fudge it through using your phone I guess. But unless you've got a lot of phones, its still going to look kinda silly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Posting on 4chan looks much sillier.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Posting on 4chan looks much sillier.

Posting on the internet is the silliest of all, really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns19PvYKxKk

Raycevick looks at one of his favourite bad games: Resident Evil 6.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Dom brings home the last (and probably least) of the 50 Shades trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJLU6nzPPAE

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

You could fudge it through using your phone I guess. But unless you've got a lot of phones, its still going to look kinda silly.

4chan and the alt right, both very well-known for avoiding any risk of looking silly. That is why this thread is just wind and tumbleweeds.

E: I thought I was in the Culture Warriors who Self-Own" thread. Now I am the silly-looking one!!!

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 27, 2019

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1089214157700792320
Vic is totally a normal person, weird that he's from Greensburg of all places which isn't that far from me

"Risembool Ranger", god that's a term I haven't heard in a long time. I used to be involved in an anime con and only the massive distance between us and Vic spared us from his creepy rear end. Didn't stop the local branch of this fan club from trying however.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

What the gently caress is a Risembool Ranger

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Vic's fanclub.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Archer666 posted:

You dont really need to audit a thread since the built in board functionality tracks IP's, which is how it calculates the number of people posting on a certain thread. See:

If there's 15 or 50 individual IPs already logged in a thread, how are you gonna suss out that it's one guy talking to himself as opposed to two or five or ten people? It's not like no new IPs posting matters when the thread has an established base of IPs already engaging in the 'discussion'. Especially if they have even a modicum of smarts/effort and vary their posting style (capitalization, grammar, line-breaks/paragraphs etc in addition to actual stances on whatever's being discussed.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I mean, it's not like it's an unknown thing. It's done enough they even have a word for it... *sigh* samefaging.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

If there's 15 or 50 individual IPs already logged in a thread, how are you gonna suss out that it's one guy talking to himself as opposed to two or five or ten people? It's not like no new IPs posting matters when the thread has an established base of IPs already engaging in the 'discussion'. Especially if they have even a modicum of smarts/effort and vary their posting style (capitalization, grammar, line-breaks/paragraphs etc in addition to actual stances on whatever's being discussed.

True, at the point where a thread is thriving enough to attract a bunch of people to talk, it gets harder if not impossible to know (if) there is sameposting going on. But you could also make the argument that the more people engage with a thread, the chance of 1 guy arguing with himself starts to shrink because other people can also engage with the person and the conversation opens up.

I'm gonna stop now since this isn't the "talk about 4chan" thread. So here's some content: I Hate Everything looks at 2018 movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCU_rC_3m88

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

What the gently caress is a Risembool Ranger

It's a reference to the first big show he was in, Fullmetal Alchemist. And it hit during the big Toonami anime boom so big is accurate. Dude's been riding off playing the lead character for years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

It's a reference to the first big show he was in, Fullmetal Alchemist. And it hit during the big Toonami anime boom so big is accurate. Dude's been riding off playing the lead character for years.

It's also one of those more famous anime characters with a specific VA permanently associated with them, like Spike Spiegel and Steven J Blum, or Hellsing's Alucard and Crispin Freeman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also just considering the imagery used in FMA and all his psycho mom being called "Matriarch" in the FMA themed fan group is really fuckin funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also one of those more famous anime characters with a specific VA permanently associated with them, like Spike Spiegel and Steven J Blum, or Hellsing's Alucard and Crispin Freeman.

It's certainly possible what I've seen speculated elsewhere that his teenage girl fan group (which thanks to FMA hitting when it did is huge) have conflated him with Ed and he's never been in any hurry to disabuse them of that notion.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What's So Great About That is pretty underwatched/underappreciated, so give it your views and likes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBLESHPwbQ

The video itself is pretty great too.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Jim takes aim at, presumably, a significant portion of his fanbase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owpv7wYB_NM

Most entertaining JimQ for a while! :)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KayTee posted:

Jim takes aim at, presumably, a significant portion of his fanbase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owpv7wYB_NM

Most entertaining JimQ for a while! :)

The stupid gibberish is part of the fun :colbert:
Is Dan Olson still planning to stream this game completely blind, without playing the other games at all? That should be a fun time

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The one Kingdom Hearts fan I know in real life is one of those superfans who unironically think the whole thing is brilliant and deep and just cannot shut the gently caress up about it, and as a result I've been completely sick of Kingdom Hearts for years even though I've never played a single game in the series.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Senerio posted:

Vic's fanclub.

Merged with a Christian fellowship group. Or it least it was back in the day.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Augus posted:

Is Dan Olson still planning to stream this game completely blind, without playing the other games at all? That should be a fun time

I remember Dan mentioned how fans respond to Kingdom Hearts recaps so I figured he'd at least seen a few recaps.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

Oh my god when.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Not once does that video touch on one of the most important story element aspects of the franchise.

That Xemnas is an anagram for mansex. Or manse with an "x" added.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm not familiar with this channel, but Youtube recommended this video on the retro FPS Dusk to me and the video (and the game) look pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiuC1DcgIMo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm not familiar with this channel, but Youtube recommended this video on the retro FPS Dusk to me and the video (and the game) look pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiuC1DcgIMo

I havent watched this video yet but dusk owns and everyone should play it so that they make more games like it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

People make KH out to be way more complicated than it actually is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Roth posted:

KH is insanely complicated and convoluted.

Like even most people who like the story have accepted this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kingdom Hearts shoulda stayed as a simple "Hey its DIsney AND Final Fantasy!" instead of flinging off into its own thing that happens to have cameos by FF and Disney characters.

Also Jim picked the wrong song

E: Also Kingdom Hearts shoulda had more adventures of Sora's day job, being a bouncer.

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 28, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Roth posted:

Seems P Coherent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_Jo02SIpk

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's about as dumb and coherent as Resident Evil.

Not saying it's not convoluted, just that it's not a special case all on its own.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Roth posted:

Can you imagine if the popular consensus of Nier Automata followed in the same mold?

"What do you mean I have to play all of the Drakengard games and read all the novels and watch the stage plays and also buy the art books to understand anything"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kingdom Hearts decided, of its own volition, to have two characters named "Ansem", three games about being stuck in memories/dreams/a simulation, and two games called "Birth by Sleep".

It's not complicated, it's willfully obtuse.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One of the Ansems was just a guy pretending to be Ansem. You're better off going with the 13 Xehanorts.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

DoctorWhat posted:

Kingdom Hearts decided, of its own volition, to have two characters named "Ansem", three games about being stuck in memories/dreams/a simulation, and two games called "Birth by Sleep".

It's not complicated, it's willfully obtuse.

Ah yes, the sin of three games about being stuck in different concepts.....?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fighting the heartless, the nobodies, the nobodys' somebodies, the anybodies, and the buttless

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kingdom Hearts is actually not at all hard to follow if you just play the games and take things in as they happen.
It’s just difficult to summarize or describe succinctly because of how densely packed the lore has become.
Ultimately you don’t need to memorize the finer details of every single afternoon that Roxas spent eating ice cream in order to understand the broad strokes of what’s happening.

It’s not really that much different from any other serialized fiction, except that the chosen medium has made it easier for people to miss a few episodes since not everybody owns every console and handheld.
Does crazy and silly stuff still happen in the games themselves? Yes. Yes it does. KH2 tried to do a death fake-out with Goofy

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 28, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The real problem with the understanding of the story is that they released games on completely different consoles and there was no way to play them all on one console until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like I don’t get what the weird notion that KH isn’t a incoherent mess, it is embrace it. It’s like Metal Gear Solid where it’s convoluted messy ness is it’s charm.