Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
way back when i was first getting into japanese variety shows and the internet was still the wild web, i had these tapes

http://too-far-east.tripod.com/japanarama/id3.html

completely amazed that website is still up. anyway there was a lot of takeshi gundan poo poo in there i wish i could somehow share with the internet. stuff like

-janken fights where the winner would try to strike the loser with a bucket of hot wax, where the loser would defend themselves with an umbrella. eventually everyone was coated in wax, placed on a birthday cake, and were the candles for takeshi's birthday. one dude (the skinny bald guy from kikujiro) had his head lit on fire

-wrestling on the beach between extremely tiny skinny comedians and hulking professional american wrestlers. on the sides of the ring were hazards such as a bed of fireworks, an electrified plate, and a giant glue trap

-wrestling on a ring in the ocean. the loser had a bag of chum attached to him and he was thrown over the side to be gummed by whale sharks

and just all other sorts of insane late 80's / early 90's stuff, including some early downtown skits like the rear end game and chinko machine. i remember seeing other stuff on there too from groups i couldn't place, the most notable thing being a show called "pokerface" where comedians were standing in a box like they're at a fancy bar, wearing tuxedoes. except their lower halves are obscured and they are nude. one of these dudes is being whipped, beaten, and having his rear end eaten by a dominatrix and the game is that the guest panel is supposed to guess which comedian is being whipped. except it is extremely obvious who it is and the panel pretends ignorance as this guy tries and fails to not make faces as he's getting molested

really the most shocking thing about japanese variety shows is how they can take extreme content like this and make it boring through repetition and routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also at least an hour of clips of this show, super jockey, where people earn advertising time to pitch their whatever they came onto the show to pitch by sitting in tubs of scalding water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iCWYygTfCo

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

phourniner posted:

Honestly if they brought back MXC somehow, I wouldn't mind that.

In case it's of interest, there's a Youtube playlist called MXC (Every Episode); the first show is Meat Handlers vs Cartoon Voice Actors.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen some of that UK dub and it's like someone said "yeah this show is alright but what it could really use is a layer of unnecessary vague racism spread on top". it's bizarre. people fall down = laughs is universal, drat it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TeaJay posted:

They showed Takeshi's Castle in the UK in the early 2000's and that version aired here in Finland as well during 2002-2004 under the name (direct translation) "Crazy Japanese". It had a really obnoxious narrator (Craig Charles) who just kept mocking everyone in the show and had his own nicknames to the characters. Still have some of the show on my hard drive for some nostalgic viewing.

"As my old dad used to say...'I quite fancy your girlfriend.'"

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

In case it's of interest, there's a Youtube playlist called MXC (Every Episode); the first show is Meat Handlers vs Cartoon Voice Actors.

Oh I know about the various places you can watch all of them (thank you by the way), it's just either I'm super nostalgic or I really want to see what a modern day MXC would be like. Remember the one "American MXC" where they had Tony Hawk and some wrestler chick on as team leaders? Stuff like that when it was super popular. I guess I just miss that dumb fun poo poo in my life.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TeamGaki released the first part of the Treasure Hunter Batsu. Quicker than I expected!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Stare-Out posted:

TeamGaki released the first part of the Treasure Hunter Batsu. Quicker than I expected!
Looking forward to the last part in September

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
I'm in no hurry for batsu subs this year

I'm getting down right impatient waiting on Documental subs. Goddamnit Amazon!

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Documental is literally the only reason I have Amazon Prime right now.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm also waiting on more Sentosha. A second season is out in Japan, no telling when Amazon US will get around to it.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

I should probably get to watching that too. I have some extensive free time coming up, might dip into it.

But yeah, Amazon needs to get on that poo poo.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
why in the world is there a mexican documental ripoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADID8SE5So4

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
seriously im not saying that mexico doesn't have a robust tradition of comedy but what in the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUPQ6wMlqA

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hey

We can steal tv show ideas as well over in Mexico!

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

I hope Mexico does a better job stealing Japanese shows then the USA has stealing British shows.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

Honestly if someone translated that, I'd probably watch it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Final set of terrace house new doors hits on the 12th (unless you're outside the states and don't have to wait) and it looks like there's a new Tokyo one coming out this year?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Seems like new series starts in May for Japan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
That's a pretty quick turnaround.

I just started Opening New Doors a couple of weeks ago after finally finishing Boys and Girls Next Door. Yuudai makes the entire thing miserable, but I'm sure that's old news. He really seems like he must get off on being humiliated or something, it's the only explanation for his behavior (other than thirst for screen time).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 27, 2019

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

General Dog posted:

That's a pretty quick turnaround.

Yuudai makes the entire thing miserable, but I'm sure that's old news.

Yuudai is the best

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqxGTEmBnaD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

WonderfulWino posted:

I hope Mexico does a better job stealing Japanese shows then the USA has stealing British shows.

I decided to give LOL a shot, lasted exactly 15 seconds before turning it off. lovely cringy as gently caress "comedy" and I couldn't even get past the goddamn highlight reel

You guys seem to like variety shows so here you go https://www.crunchyroll.com/why-did-you-come-to-japan
Put that on google if you can't see the individual episode listings, it should be available with ads for free.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Treasure Hunter batsu part 3 is out and that was.. an elaborate way to thai-kick Tanaka. Hilarious though, but once again it ends right in the middle of a great segment. The subbers need to finish the segments for each part already.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Stare-Out posted:

Treasure Hunter batsu part 3 is out and that was.. an elaborate way to thai-kick Tanaka. Hilarious though, but once again it ends right in the middle of a great segment. The subbers need to finish the segments for each part already.
It's okay, at the rate we're going we'll have part 4 by June.

They keep getting slower and slower.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think they're ahead of schedule currently, not by much but still. I just want them to figure out where to cut each part and not adhere to a 30-minute per part rule because it's murder when segments get cut.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Treasure Hunter is up to 6/10 for those still keeping track.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

If you're craving for more Bananaman in your life, Crunchyroll upped more episodes of Why did you come to Japan

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Documental season 3 will hit Amazon Prime on June 21. I was getting worried they'd given up on it. Here's hoping they get us more Sentosha as well.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Nice, was just wondering when or if there would be more Documental.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Treasure hunter Batsu part 7 is subbed and up. I think it and part 6 have been up there with the best batsus so far, loving hysterical, primarily due to just letting the guys sit in a room and have them do random stuff.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Season 3 of Documental is now on Amazon Prime

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

God Documental is so hilarious, you'd think these seasons would be easy to pump out subs for, surprised no fan subs have cropped up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Tertius Oculum posted:

God Documental is so hilarious, you'd think these seasons would be easy to pump out subs for, surprised no fan subs have cropped up.
There aren't even enough subbers in the community to finish the Batsu games in a timely manner, and most people would rather just support the official releases anyway since this is literally all we've got as far as Gaki related stuff goes

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

I am seriously underwhelmed by s3 Documental cast, I doubt ill finish it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I really liked Tokyo girl, midnight diner and million yen women. Is there more good slice of life/magical realism thriller stuff out there?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

WonderfulWino posted:

I am seriously underwhelmed by s3 Documental cast, I doubt ill finish it.

I thought Season 3 was fine, but S2 was a powerhouse so yeah I understand it feeling underwhelming.

S4 was my favorite, it more than made up for the cast in 3. I just wish Prime US would release these faster.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

S3 was great coming from someone unfamiliar with the comedians themselves, though I did look up why Yamamato was gone since 2006.

Especially now with America's #metoo poo poo going on it would be similar if Louis CK came on essentially haha

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Tertius Oculum posted:

S3 was great coming from someone unfamiliar with the comedians themselves, though I did look up why Yamamato was gone since 2006.

Just in case anybody else was wondering: statutory rape

I had to look that up after he was on Sentosha: Battle Wheels and they made similar mentions of him being gone for ten years.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Man I totally forgot to post the reason lol sorry.

BTW some new recent news with the Yoshimoto group. (its on the gaki reddit currently)

https://aramajapan.com/news/yoshimoto-kogyo-suspends-11-comedians-for-links-to-antisocial-organization/99418/
"Major talent agency Yoshimoto Kogyo has suspended 11 of its comedians for participating in “underground business” and attending a party held by an antisocial organization without consulting the company. It has determined that the comedians have accepted payment for their attendance after previously claiming they never received money."

The 11 celebrities are Hiroyuki Miyasako, 49; Ryo Tamura, 47; Razor Ramon HG, 43; Yoshinari Fukushima, 41; Masashi Kumada, 46; Punch Hamasaki, 38; Takuhiro Kimura, 43; Moody Katsuyama, 39; Hiroyuki Yasoshima, 35; Hiroshi Tsunemichi, 36; and Diego, 41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hard Gay noooo