Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Acid rounds gently caress their whole world up.

Leon can also sneak up on them by walking slowly, then put a Magnum round in their brainpan. It usually won't finish them, but it lets you double-tap in relative peace.

In general, though, you rarely have to fight the little bastards.

There's a significant amount of ambiguity about that, which I don't think is an accident. They're setting it up to cover the rest of the outbreak in some game or another, although I was a little surprised they kept most of what ended up being the original timeline.

The attack on Birkin at his lab was carried out by HUNK and his goons on the night of the 22nd, and a mutated Birkin has counter-merked them by the morning of the 23rd, as per the videotape you can find on a dead USS guy in the sewer. The newly-mutated G-Birkin, for some reason, eats the contents of the sample case, which releases the T-Virus into the city above them via the rats in the sewer system.

If the new RE2 is still on the 29th, then the outbreak's been underway for the intervening week, which is enough time for things to have gone so spectacularly to poo poo in the city. The trucker's radio suddenly cutting out as he got near the city limits in the beginning suggests there might be a comms blackout, but since zombie reports are hitting random call-in shows and the two cops in the beginning are from the local sheriff's department, I guess we're supposed to conclude that the outbreak is starting to overflow the city limits?

The biggest plot surprise to me, though, was that Birkin got ganked in the first place because he was warming up to take the G-Virus and run to the American government with it. In the original RE2, although they hosed around for years establishing it, it was a heist by an Umbrella rival gone wrong. In the remake, it's actually closer to the ORC timeline.

Fingers crossed: it means that a theoretical remake of RE3 could follow Jill's adventures for a full nine or ten days, rather than just the two nights from the original.

Im going with original RE Lore here but the progess of infection of Raccoon may have gone as follows:

1: Something survives the Mansion, be it a dog or crow or random zombie, the infection continues to spread, but very slowly.

2. William being a crazed, paranoid, crimes-against humanity type of guy, thinks that the G-Virus is HIS, not the property of his corporate sponsors. Tries to go to US Gov/Military cause he believes he will get immunity and more funding.

3. The city slowly descends into anarchy over a period of about a month. By September 22nd Umbrella says gently caress it and sends in Hunk to secure a G-Virus sample because that is the most valuable asset.

4. HUNK and team shoot up William, take a sample back, the virus samples that crack in the sewers accelerate the spread of the virus already in the city.

5. The Umbrella Mercs (UMBSC) and Ada enter the city around the same time (Sept 27-28), with Ada being hired by Wesker (i refused to acknowledge his survival), or a separate corp who wants to capitalize on the chaos and get their own G-smaple

6 Leon and Clair get hit by truck on Sept 29.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaj posted:

Im going with original RE Lore here but the progess of infection of Raccoon may have gone as follows:

1: Something survives the Mansion, be it a dog or crow or random zombie, the infection continues to spread, but very slowly.

2. William being a crazed, paranoid, crimes-against humanity type of guy, thinks that the G-Virus is HIS, not the property of his corporate sponsors. Tries to go to US Gov/Military cause he believes he will get immunity and more funding.

3. The city slowly descends into anarchy over a period of about a month. By September 22nd Umbrella says gently caress it and sends in Hunk to secure a G-Virus sample because that is the most valuable asset.

4. HUNK and team shoot up William, take a sample back, the virus samples that crack in the sewers accelerate the spread of the virus already in the city.

5. The Umbrella Mercs (UMBSC) and Ada enter the city around the same time (Sept 27-28), with Ada being hired by Wesker (i refused to acknowledge his survival), or a separate corp who wants to capitalize on the chaos and get their own G-smaple

6 Leon and Clair get hit by truck on Sept 29.

The original timeline is basically:

1) The STARS get back to town, but Umbrella owns the place, so their case doesn't go anywhere.
2) Meanwhile, the Raccoon Forest is one big infection vector and there are mild cases of the T-Virus showing up in the city by mid-August or so, as per RE2 '98 files.
3) William has just about perfected the G-Virus and wants to use it to get put on the board of directors. He literally never even mentions the U.S. military in RE2. That's entirely in ORC, which was always explicitly a "what if" game.
4) However, William's got enemies in Umbrella, and one of them decides to send Hunk and company over to swipe the G-Virus.
5) Hunk's team goes in on the 22nd of September, and hilarity ensues. Zombies everywhere within like an hour of the attack, to go by Outbreak.
6) By the 27th, the RPD is gone. By the 28th, Jill is shooting up the place and Umbrella's fed the UBCS mercenaries into a meat grinder.
7) Leon and Claire somehow miss all this and roll into town on the 29th.
8) Hunk gets evacuated on the 30th or so.
9) Raccoon gets blown up at dawn on October 1st. Ada evacuates by ziplining onto an Umbrella VIP's helicopter; Jill and Carlos get picked up by Barry right before the first missile hits; the Outbreak gang either get picked up by rescue personnel at the university or steal a USS jeep and drive out right before the explosion.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Wanderer posted:

The original timeline is basically:

1) The STARS get back to town, but Umbrella owns the place, so their case doesn't go anywhere.
2) Meanwhile, the Raccoon Forest is one big infection vector and there are mild cases of the T-Virus showing up in the city by mid-August or so, as per RE2 '98 files.
3) William has just about perfected the G-Virus and wants to use it to get put on the board of directors. He literally never even mentions the U.S. military in RE2. That's entirely in ORC, which was always explicitly a "what if" game.
4) However, William's got enemies in Umbrella, and one of them decides to send Hunk and company over to swipe the G-Virus.
5) Hunk's team goes in on the 22nd of September, and hilarity ensues. Zombies everywhere within like an hour of the attack, to go by Outbreak.
6) By the 27th, the RPD is gone. By the 28th, Jill is shooting up the place and Umbrella's fed the UBCS mercenaries into a meat grinder.
7) Leon and Claire somehow miss all this and roll into town on the 29th.
8) Hunk gets evacuated on the 30th or so.
9) Raccoon gets blown up at dawn on October 1st. Ada evacuates by ziplining onto an Umbrella VIP's helicopter; Jill and Carlos get picked up by Barry right before the first missile hits; the Outbreak gang either get picked up by rescue personnel at the university or steal a USS jeep and drive out right before the explosion.

And I agree on all points, but Hunk taking a nap in the sewers for a week doesnt make sense. His enemy placement and such always seemed like an arcade mode (lets add a ton of hard-fun poo poo), and he was evacuated earlier. Mr. X looking for G-Virus isnt mentioned in the new RE2, and you could call it a mop-up even in the original.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
At least in the remake, Mr X (multiples of them? Scenarios A and B have very different fates for Mr X so I think multiples were sent, as was implied in the original version of the game) was/were sent by Umbrella to kill all witnesses and survivors on the ground, I remember a file or memo somewhere in the game stating this. This explains why Mr X deliberately went for that investigative journalist you find in the prison first, since he had evidence of Umbrella's complicity in the whole thing.

There's also nothing linking Mr X and retrieving any samples of the virus so if that was a thing in the original version of the game it seems to have been scrubbed out entirely in the remake.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 27, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wanderer posted:

the Outbreak gang either get picked up by rescue personnel at the university or steal a USS jeep and drive out right before the explosion.

I honestly liked those 'infected; no serum' endings you could get in Outbreak. Because I expect that's likely to happen if a waitress, a subway attendant, and a plumber tried to make a zombie serum while being hounded by a giant Tyrant on a time limit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGtq0TAjp28

Particularly Mark and David's.

'We're doomed.'
'...Wanna haul rear end around in a tank and mow down hordes of zombies?'
:madmax::hf::madmax:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaj posted:

And I agree on all points, but Hunk taking a nap in the sewers for a week doesnt make sense. His enemy placement and such always seemed like an arcade mode (lets add a ton of hard-fun poo poo), and he was evacuated earlier. Mr. X looking for G-Virus isnt mentioned in the new RE2, and you could call it a mop-up even in the original.

Hunk is one of the messier results of the later retcons that extended the outbreak timeline backward. The original RE2 is kinda built around the idea that Raccoon "City" isn't that big, might be somewhat isolated, and is the sort of town where nobody would notice right away if it dropped off the map for a few days to have a zombie outbreak. By the time the second Outbreak came out, it retroactively pushed the start of the outbreak back to the 22nd from the 26th, established the city had 100,000 citizens in it, and gave Raccoon its own subway, university, zoo, hospital, waterfront, industrial district, and park.

It's not great, no. I always felt it was ripe for some kind of Hunk side story where you find out what the gently caress he was doing for a week while the city burned (I like to think he was sucked through a portal to an alternate dimension where he had an adventure with elves and learned an important lesson about the value of being yourself), but it's what we've got. He's even in Umbrella Chronicles, where his radio chatter across the course of his mission is a bunch of random stuff about how the city's about to get wiped off the map.

In RE2 '98, they make it pretty explicit that Mr. X is after the G-Virus, a sample of which is hidden in Sherry's pendant, because Annette Birkin has never been in the running for Mother of the Year. X's presence in Scenario B is entirely built around getting all up in the face of whoever's got the pendant, or whoever's protecting the person who does, to the point where Claire "wins" her fight with him in her B run by throwing the pendant into a smelting vat.

The idea that Mr. X, '98 edition, is also on the scene to whack whatever witnesses he happens across wasn't actually canon until a file in Umbrella Chronicles.

In the new one, I think that Mr. X is specifically on the scene doing survivor clean-up for Umbrella. The only thing I ever happened across on the subject was the note in Ben's cell, and I'm pretty sure that's all the actual explanation you get. I'm also really curious if we're meant to conclude that there's more than one Mr. X running around, since if Claire and Leon's scenarios are actually supposed to be happening at around the same time, it looks like the one after Claire gets put down for good by William in the orphanage basement.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I honestly liked those 'infected; no serum' endings you could get in Outbreak. Because I expect that's likely to happen if a waitress, a subway attendant, and a plumber tried to make a zombie serum while being hounded by a giant Tyrant on a time limit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGtq0TAjp28

Particularly Mark and David's.

'We're doomed.'
'...Wanna haul rear end around in a tank and mow down hordes of zombies?'
:madmax::hf::madmax:

Kevin and Jim's ending is in the running for one of my favorite "bad endings" in video games.

"Let's settle this like men."

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There's a fairly large difference between '98 and '19' motivations for Mr. X, I recall that the pendant Sherry had in the original contained a sample of the g-virus itself which Mr. X was chasing all along (this is also why Mr. X isn't in scenario A at all, since that half of the story doesn't have the pendant in it), yet in the remake the pedant simply happens to unlock a container that had an anti-viral cure. Mr. X's new motivations of murder-absolutely-everybody gives the remake a good reason to have him in both scenarios this time around.

Personally the Mr.X and pendant story makes a lot more sense to me this time around, since nobody in their right mind would give a pendant with a sample of the g-virus to a willfully neglected-and-abandoned child.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

finished leon a/claire b and just
wow holy poo poo what a loving game

also i cannot believe that HUNK has his own unique guns with their own unique properties, like jfc the amount of content is WILD

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Where does the name Mr X come from? He only seems to be called Tyrant in-game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Peewi posted:

From one of the novels and (I think) the actual toys.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Peewi posted:

Fairly sure it's what his toy was called back in '98 and also what he was called in the S.D. Perry novelization. It just kinda stuck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Peewi posted:

It is one of those fan nicknames that ended up becoming canon. It was even what his toy was called back in the long ago days.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

quote:

The nickname Mr. X was first said by Claire in the S.D. Perry Resident Evil series, Resident Evil: City of the Dead, which was a novelization of the game Resident Evil 2.

Now I'm wondering what he was called in the official strategy guides (Prima/Brady). Probably just 'Tyrant', right?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are there any Nvidia drivers due?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There are files in RE2 and RE3 that talk about how their were workers in the Raccoon City sewers who were already showing signs of infection before the STARS teams were even sent out to investigate Arklay in June/July.

So while Birkin getting shot and the resulting spill of the T-Virus was the tipping point of pushing the city into chaos, the actual timeline of Raccoon City's descent is way longer than most people assume.

Also, the Tyrant that shows up in the 'B' storyline was sent in to retrieve Sherry's pendant and kill any survivors inside the RPD.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 27, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just finished Leon A at 3:01 for an S rank on Standard. That was amazingly fun and the infinite ammo handgun is wonderful. :3:

Was kind of surprised how well that turned out. At least for me, hitting the gator at an hour and thirty seemed to be an appropriate midway checkpoint.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Now I'm wondering what he was called in the official strategy guides (Prima/Brady). Probably just 'Tyrant', right?

Resident Evil 2 was the motivation to get my first job (and a PS1).It was the sweetest money I have ever earned and spent. I played it to bits.

As for Mr.X I remember an Australian walk-through(hyper magazine I think) referred to him as baldy back in the day. I am pretty sure he was referred to as "The Tyrant" in the offical strategy guide, but I can't find my own copy to confirm. It's in a box somewhere but I'd rather keep playing the new RE2. Amazing game.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Prima called him X if memory serves but called him Super Tyrant when he took a dip in the original. I have the guide downstairs in my basement so I’ll have to check when I get home

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo X will not leave you alone on 2nd run drat

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

This game should have AI VS AI aggro, at least for Mr. X
I've seen him punch zombies when they get in his way, as well as toss them over the second floor railings in the main hall.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Wanderer posted:

Also, I just got "Minimalist" in Leon 2nd, where you clear the game without ever opening the item box. It really makes you think about what you pick up and when, although I'd never want to do it on any difficulty above Assisted.

The one that's bothering me is "A Small Carbon Footprint," where you clear a scenario in 14,000 steps or less. I'm assuming that you're "meant" to do that after unlocking at least one infinite weapon.

Do you get anything for them? I got the infinite knife for finding all the Mr Racoons so I'm wondering if there's cool rewards for each of the weird achievements or just for the "beat the game quick" ones. I might give minimalist or frugalist a go on my next run.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 27, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is Marvin the only zombie that can show up in the main hall, or can all of them do so after DMX arrives?

If Capcom owned Metal Gear we would have gotten a photorealistic version of Shadow Moses by now, and a remake of 2 that isn't missing half the last act.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 27, 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is Marvin the only zombie that can show up in the main hall, or can all of them do so after DMX arrives?

In the A scenario, Marvin only. In the B scennario, the main hall has zombies in it from the start.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I had a zombie wonder into the hall when Mr. X became a thing.

Might have been a bug tho as it was only one.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Game's director gave a great interview about why the gore looks as detailed and wet as it does:

quote:

"If I had to summarize it into one statement, we wanted to emulate that inherent level of fear that people have towards sickness and disease," said Kadoi. "They have a natural intuition to know that moist or wet areas tend to carry more pathogens than a dry area."

"Gore is a visual tool that gives that extra level of realism and visceral tension. When the characters and enemies are inflicted with physical damage and it’s depicted in a very real and detailed manner, it makes the situation and threat that much more real. This in turn allows the player to get more easily attached or involved in the narrative and environment."

"The more immersed and attached the player is, the more scary and impactful it’ll be—whether running into an adversary, or simply walking through an empty, dark corridor. And that, of course, is one of the main goals we always want to achieve in a survival horror game."
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/27/resident-evil-2-ps4-xbox-pc-gore-graphics/

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bango skank posted:

Just started my ClaireB run and like a few have mentioned, it really does seem like a decent bit was cut from the beginning of the B scenario. I took a little longer than most on my A-run so the beginning point for the 2nd run is basically an hour+ in to where I was in my first run. Would have been nice for the B scenario to take a different, longer route to the PD compared to the mad dash you make in A. I wouldn't have been mad at seeing more of Kendo's situation along the way.

I'm just starting it and found the exact same. Almost felt a little like DLC bait given how long Leon's running about in the A scenario before the Clare one even starts.

Also, how interconnected were scenarios A and B in the original. So far the narrative feels a bit schizophrenic given that both characters seem to be doing the same things, unlocking the same doors and pikcing up the same items from the same places, even though the plot is banging you over the head about how they're supposed to be simultaneously running around this place, only with character B a few steps behind or in another wing of the polcide department Character A is never able to access.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Do you get anything for them? I got the infinite knife for finding all the Mr Racoons so I'm wondering if there's cool rewards for each of the weird achievements or just for the "beat the game quick" ones. I might give minimalist or frugalist a go on my next run.

S rank on normal gives an infinite ammo pistol. Hardcore an SMG.

Whistle Villain
Jul 31, 2009
I'm fine with having to do the same puzzles but I wish they could have made the stories not contradict each other, especially since they don't really change that much regardless of who you play first. I also wish Claire and Leon interacted more. Other than that I don't really have any complaints. It's pretty great.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I had a "hat zombie" wander into the main hall, following me from the west office while I was on the run from baldy. At that point the hall isn't really safe anyway so I can't say it surprised me to see a zombie stumble through the doorway (soon followed by Mr. Stomp).

Anyway, just finished Leon A with a staggeringly bad time. I got so absorbed in exploring the RPD and comparing areas and all that bullshit that I completely hosed up any chances of getting a good rank. Guess I'll just have to replay things, oh no how terrible!

Almost Honest
Aug 17, 2009
I'm having trouble on Claire B. Why does it feel like the .45 revolver is less effective than the 9mm one? I keep getting hit because the gun isn't stunning on headshots as consistently as the 9mm handguns do, and one zombie somehow managed to tank 6 leg shots without his leg coming off. Meanwhile Mr. X is chasing me 5 minutes into the game. This is too stressful for me!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Game is awesome and l'm loving it. Just got to the sewers and that 1st run in down there.

I swear to god my game bugged though. There's a policemen's notebook that explains the medallion puzzles but gently caress if it's in my inventory anywhere. I went to the notes section and the submenus. I had to look up the combinations online to solve those.

Also, I still have a key i got very early on that I think is for the 1st gas station so I must have missed a room or a locker or something right at the start. Haven't had any HUGE ammo problems so far and I've been going for head shots and some sprints so I'm thinking that prolific use of the boards was a good idea.

Question: if Leon A takes the items from the safes and the police lockers are they going to be gone when I get to Claire B? Because that would suck and I'm hearing talk that her run is tight on inventory slots so I'm worried I should have saved the pouches for her.

EDIT: Also, if a zombie is down but kind of shaking a little should i bother head shotting him on the ground to finish him off?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Question: if Leon A takes the items from the safes and the police lockers are they going to be gone when I get to Claire B? Because that would suck and I'm hearing talk that her run is tight on inventory slots so I'm worried I should have saved the pouches for her.

Nah, there's no carryover there. Grab everything as Leon and it's all back for Claire in the B scenario and vice versa.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT: Also, if a zombie is down but kind of shaking a little should i bother head shotting him on the ground to finish him off?
It boils down to how often you think you'll be back in the area, how narrow the pathways are, whether you're being chased, and how much ammo you have.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Marin Karin posted:

In the observation room you'll find a STARS badge, and examining it will reveal it's a USB dongle

Goddammit, I thought that badge was just to open up that case in the lock-up area, which had some kind of mod for the SMG I didn't have :mad:

Well, guess I get to continue through the better part of the back half of the game without the SMG.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a record for beating G2 using the crane only once. has anyone done that? do you just need to damage him a lot first?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are the greenhouse computer codes always different? I noticed Leon A had different codes than Claire B at least, but all safe/locker codes were the same.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Archenteron posted:

Gotta say, I enjoyed the presentation of Leon's final boss, so I made a tiny tribute.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a higher resolution image but, yeah.

"show me what you are made of!! LEOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNN!"

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

lets hang out posted:

There's a record for beating G2 using the crane only once. has anyone done that? do you just need to damage him a lot first?

Exactly. Pumped a lot of Acid Rounds and made him kneel twice which was enough for the crane to finish him off.

Incidentally, finished up Claire B at a hair under 5 hours. 1:30 less than Leon A.

Also succeeded through 4th Survivor and woof that's rough. A test of Tofu was... oddly better than my first Hunk run. Pattern recognition yay? Tofu is kind of wonderfully designed with the new mechanics.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Wanderer posted:

You want the north end of the east hallway, near the Break Room.

Actually, no. It's kind of a funny story, in a sad way. Let's see if I remember it.

Spoilers about William Birkin: there's a file in RE2 '98 that says, straight up, that Birkin planned to use his perfection of the G-Virus to bulldog his way into a seat on Umbrella's board of directors. He was a lifer; he had no intention of leaving. The question was why an Umbrella strike team proceeded to shoot him and steal his poo poo. It was a big plot hole, back in the day, and one of several.

The explanation we ended up getting was really hemstitched together, from "Wesker's Report II," a new file that only appeared in the N64 version of RE2, and a Japanese audio drama about Ada that was never translated.

(This appears to just be something that Shinji Mikami loves to do, since things also get "explained" like this a couple of times in the Evil Within games, like what the gently caress the Anima is supposed to be in the second one. One of the funny things about RE5, especially in the unlockable files, is just how many plot holes got hastily closed in them, all at once, explicitly and finally, because Mikami hadn't bothered to do anything about them before he left Capcom. It also doesn't help that Noboru Sugimura, who wrote RE2, dropped dead suddenly in 2005.)

Basically, when Birkin and Wesker were younger, they hosed over Umbrella's French division and stole all the credit for a big project. Ten years later, the head of Umbrella France turns out to be the one who sent HUNK's strike team to steal the G-Virus from Birkin.

So in the original, Birkin got chopped due to inter-branch warfare at Umbrella. In the remake, his funding got cut and Umbrella's making some very pointed observations about who actually owns the G-Virus, since he made it on their dime. Birkin's subsequently getting ready to cut and run to the U.S. military when the strike team jumps him.

The Special Forces strike team in Raccoon City in RE3 is, to the best of my knowledge, never actually explained. It's meant as an open question as to why they were there at all, since there are a couple of other files in the game that broadly hint that Umbrella was in bed with at least elements within the American government. It actually got picked up again in RE6, somewhat.

did you catch the emails in remake2? i didn't read it as the usa government, the email from B.E (in leon A at least) seemed to suggest it was from the "the company" that was hinted at being behind the RE7 virus, B.E mentions the "Company" in quotes and i figured it was linking re7 in. was actually hoping to find info about weskers hcf too but something tells me i wont find it in claires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grey Fox posted:

It boils down to how often you think you'll be back in the area, how narrow the pathways are, whether you're being chased, and how much ammo you have.

I meant does it hurt them at all or am i wasting my time? I guess you can finish them off then. Thanks

Anyone else have the medallion puzzle diagram/officer's notebook not show up in inventory? Xbox One version.