Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

And even like one of Becky Lynch's TheMan tweets lately was really "slut shamey" and no one cared because she's a hot act.

Cena was married at the time he had an affair with Mickie, or at least when it started. Not sure that's slut shaming so much as a very valid criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STAC Goat posted:

Let it be said that super smarky crowds like ECW and ROH certainly CAN be obnoxious self important assholes that expose the worst of us, but they can also sometimes be creative and fun.

I don't think its really that far removed from any of wrestling. I remember having serious problems with PWG awhile ago because of often you heard "fag" from the commentators and wrestlers. John Cena never went that far but is act during his terror run had a ton of homophobia. And even like one of Becky Lynch's TheMan tweets lately was really "slut shamey" and no one cared because she's a hot act.

Yeah, watching old PWG, you can tell 2003 is like a whole different world away from where we're at today. Excalibur & Disco Machine on commentary could often come across as racist, homophobic, although a lot of it was also just reminiscent of the type of edgy "humour" white guys in their early 20s would go for because pushing boundaries was fun and it all felt free of consequence and largely harmless, and then you got a bit older and you look back on it and oh god it's embarrassing and a bit horrifying you ever thought it was funny. And yeah, it wasn't just the commentary, Chris Bosh among other of the wrestlers could be very uhhhhhhh early 2000s Internet edgy.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Cena was married at the time he had an affair with Mickie, or at least when it started. Not sure that's slut shaming so much as a very valid criticism.

I believe he was only engaged rather than married. Still not a good look, especially when you consider that Mickie at that time was in a long relationship with Ken Doane (KENNY from the Spirit Squad), also engaged at some point. Of course when the rumors surfaced, WWE did the only reasonable thing possible, keep Mickie and Cena on Raw and move Kenny to Smackdown. lovely stuff all around.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LividLiquid posted:

That just raises further questions.

I mean, I feel like the chant is fairly self explanatory?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, watching old PWG, you can tell 2003 is like a whole different world away from where we're at today. Excalibur & Disco Machine on commentary could often come across as racist, homophobic, although a lot of it was also just reminiscent of the type of edgy "humour" white guys in their early 20s would go for because pushing boundaries was fun and it all felt free of consequence and largely harmless, and then you got a bit older and you look back on it and oh god it's embarrassing and a bit horrifying you ever thought it was funny. And yeah, it wasn't just the commentary, Chris Bosh among other of the wrestlers could be very uhhhhhhh early 2000s Internet edgy.
I recall thinking Excalibur's and Disco Machine's "Lucha Drinking Game" was the funniest thing ever when I was a 16-year-old idiot nerd. I somehow doubt it's held up very well, especially since I seem to remember there being a lot of racist comments in the vein of "hurr he stole my hubcaps" directed at Lil' Cholo whenever he was in the ring.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I want to watch the Royal Rumble tomorrow but will be at work for like 90% of it. Is there anywhere official (time shifting TV/stream/whatever) I can watch it later in the night? Don’t want to get spoiled.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Have you tried the WWE Network, only 9.99 per month

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

Excalibur using the n-word during a promo (soft A, but it's still bad) is probably the worst PWG got in that regard. Chuck Taylor still does ironic racism/homophobia a bit too much, but he's also not nearly as bad as he used to be.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

early ROH is somehow more homophobic than same era CZW

which is really saying something

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

I mean, I feel like the chant is fairly self explanatory?
Once you hear one crowd do it, yeah, it's easy to spread, but I just can't fathom one person starting the chant and getting an entire stadium to join them.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

early ROH is somehow more homophobic than same era CZW

Come on now, it can't have been that bad. I mean, it's not like ROH would have started it's very first show with the Christopher Street Connection coming out to massive anti-gay crowd heat, trying to kiss male fans in the crowd, declaring ROH as Ring of Homosexuals, and have that all followed up by them getting 'gay-bashed' by Da Hit Squad in barely more than one minute...

.. then they powerbombed Allison Danger through a table, just because.

Goddamn, the first ROH show started off bad.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LividLiquid posted:

Once you hear one crowd do it, yeah, it's easy to spread, but I just can't fathom one person starting the chant and getting an entire stadium to join them.

How is that different from any chat though? All you need is a few people and the right atmosphere to get a section of the stand doing it. Once a section of the stand is doing it, it's not that unlikely that the rest of the crowd (or... well, half the crowd. You have to be threatening someone, after all) will pick it up if its simple, catchy and rhythmic. Its a British football chant from the 60s or 70s, so if your confusion is "why would half the fans threaten the other half", then I'm guessing you arent massively familiar with British football hooliganism? Or is it "how did a football chant end up seeing fairly common use in wrestling?" thats confusing you, in which case I cant help because I dont know.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there any actual moderately sized wrestling organization that is LGBTQ positive in more than just name?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

How is that different from any chat though? All you need is a few people and the right atmosphere to get a section of the stand doing it. Once a section of the stand is doing it, it's not that unlikely that the rest of the crowd (or... well, half the crowd. You have to be threatening someone, after all) will pick it up if its simple, catchy and rhythmic. Its a British football chant from the 60s or 70s, so if your confusion is "why would half the fans threaten the other half", then I'm guessing you arent massively familiar with British football hooliganism? Or is it "how did a football chant end up seeing fairly common use in wrestling?" thats confusing you, in which case I cant help because I dont know.
It's none of that. It's just that it's so long.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, and like I can even remember making that observation like 5 years or so ago on this board and a few regular posters laughing and mocking the criticism. As a society we've made a LOT of progress on casual homophobia and misogyny in a really short time (but still have a long ways to go).

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I mean, maybe if Becky was making an impassioned ethical argument about trust or something but she was throwing out a burn on a wrestling rival. And that burn was kind of calling Mickie out for sleeping her way to the top, no?

I don't think its worth arguing about or making a thing of, which is why I didn't when the tweet was posted. It just struck me as another example of how these things persist in wrestling and how our community has a tendency to turn a blind eye to it when its working.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

That just raises further questions.

Soccer is the most violent of all sports. It's kinda like hockey in that the rules themselves don't explicitly encourage violence but the players and the fans find a way.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

wait until you see people spontaneously start doing "The Wave"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Soccer is the most violent of all sports. It's kinda like hockey in that the rules themselves don't explicitly encourage violence but the players and the fans find a way.
It's the only sport I can think of where the fans are far more violent than the actual sport.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wrestling is kind of a mirror to the overall society though. It's not that wrestling fans were especially homophobic in 2003 - it's that Americans in general were especially homophobic in 2003. Bush won re-election in part because states had anti same sex marriage initiatives on the ballot, driving up turnout of his voters. It was a particularly gross time.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Wrestling is kind of a mirror to the overall society though. It's not that wrestling fans were especially homophobic in 2003 - it's that Americans in general were especially homophobic in 2003. Bush won re-election in part because states had anti same sex marriage initiatives on the ballot, driving up turnout of his voters. It was a particularly gross time.

This tracks to me. It's not that wrestling fans are all awful it's just that you don't want to have your significant other around during the Thanksgiving tradition/Survivor Series because there are some members of your group who are absolutely the worst.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Speaking of 'disgusting' things...

I recently remembered the 1994 IRS/Tatanka feud whose trigger was "Tatanka gets a ceremonial headdress from some Native tribe, IRS demands he pay a gift tax, Tatanka says no, IRS destroys the headdress in dastardly fashion not seen again until 1999 Big Bossman." The WWE really played this up in their magazine, calling it "an atrocity" and Tatanka did come off as more upset and angered than the general 'face wronged by a heel' reaction would. But, as far as I can tell, there was no big blowoff. This was in April or so; the next mention of this (in print) was the WWE King of the Ring magazine article issue which talked about how Tatanka was the favorite to win, 'despite his ongoing war with IRS' (that win instead famously went to Owen Hart) and then in the summer of 1994 Tatanka started claiming Lex Luger had sold out to Ted DiBiase, resulting in a match at Summerslam where Tatanka turned heel (and ironically ended up on the same side as IRS. Ah, 90's wrestling face/heel logic).

So, was there some match on Raw or something where Tatanka actually got a win/revenge, or did it just sort of fall by the wayside?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

remusclaw posted:

This tracks to me. It's not that wrestling fans are all awful it's just that you don't want to have your significant other around during the Thanksgiving tradition/Survivor Series because there are some members of your group who are absolutely the worst.

Yeah, i don't think wrestling fans are worse than society at large on average. I do think wrestling brings out the worst in society sometimes. There's examples of people on this forum defending some indefensible poo poo all around. No point in rehashing it because it would just make people defensive. But wrestling has such a "carny", irreverent, disrespectful history that it tends to bring out that poo poo.

But some of that is sports in general and mob mentalities.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Have you tried the WWE Network, only 9.99 per month

Man it looks like so need a cable plan to do this in Canada, was hoping to just watch it in an app or on my tv or something.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Man it looks like so need a cable plan to do this in Canada, was hoping to just watch it in an app or on my tv or something.

No. Wwe Network is an app or website. Even in Canada.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

forkboy84 posted:

No. Wwe Network is an app or website. Even in Canada.

Pretty sure they tie it to a cable account in Canada because that was the lovely deal they made to do business there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spongeh posted:

Pretty sure they tie it to a cable account in Canada because that was the lovely deal they made to do business there.

It was until recently. Now you can just sign up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe what research is out there suggests that wrestling fans skew older, whiter, poorer, and less educated than average. So it's not exactly a perfect mirror of society.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LividLiquid posted:

It's none of that. It's just that it's so long.

That isn't long for a football song :psyduck:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, was there some match on Raw or something where Tatanka actually got a win/revenge, or did it just sort of fall by the wayside?

It was mostly just a set-up for a string of house show match-ups that had no payoff on television.
Much like the Luger-Crush feud at the time, or Jeff Jarrett attacking Dink to set-up a million matches on house shows where he went over Doink.

1994 was really kind of an anomaly in that it was the last year where WWF was clinging to the old-school mentality of "TV/PPV sets up the House Show market" rather than vice-versa; then in 95 when Nash on top tanked the house show business and they began monthly PPVs, the focus began to reverse.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I tried to watch How I Met Your Mother recently and it was extremely grating how often they used "gay" an insult, and that show ended like five years ago.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there any actual moderately sized wrestling organization that is LGBTQ positive in more than just name?

Riptide Wrestling are pretty great!

They’re based in Brighton, which is kinda like England’s version of San Francisco. Sometimes they have rainbow ring ropes as well which is cute as heck.

Riptide is worth checking out in general; camerawork is great, incredible inter gender wrestling, loaded with mid to big name indie eurowrestlers, etc

https://youtu.be/BD6HBrvmZwY
I can’t get it to go to the exact time (1:11:29) , but this is the main event of a show they had a while back. Intergender tag with comedy and brutality which is A+ in my book.
There’s no commentary over it; rather different but nice.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pro Wrestling WAVE sponsored lesbian pool parties and made ASUKA their champion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Corrode posted:

That isn't long for a football song :psyduck:
Look. You're countering my saying "this extremely common thing is still really impressive to me" with "but it's so common!" Does that make more sense?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, maybe if Becky was making an impassioned ethical argument about trust or something but she was throwing out a burn on a wrestling rival. And that burn was kind of calling Mickie out for sleeping her way to the top, no?

I thought it was her making fun of mickie doing a porno where the top star did, in fact, come first.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
After seeing him in the Royal Rumble do you think Johnny Gargano is too small for the man roster? 205 Live guy? NXT lifer? How will it pan out?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Is he shorter than Daniel Bryan?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He looked fine

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I forgot about the Rumble and read the summary on Wikipedia.

What's been the news the last year or so with TNA and GFW? Jeff Jarrett's been attached in various ways to everything and I guess TNA is still around but somehow Jarrett got himself a Rumble spot.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I guess TNA is still around

So is the WWE Hall of Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I forgot about the Rumble and read the summary on Wikipedia.

What's been the news the last year or so with TNA and GFW? Jeff Jarrett's been attached in various ways to everything and I guess TNA is still around but somehow Jarrett got himself a Rumble spot.

Jeff Jarrett has been out of TNA for a year and a half due to being drunk and racist, GFW is still his non-entity and he's pretty broke.