Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Considering all the other lies and acting Kotoko was bouncing between in that conversation I doubt she doesn’t hate adults, she just also hates Monaca too now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The final episode of voice actor talk!

Kotoko Utsugi is my favourite of the bunch, mainly due to her fabulous voice actor, Erica Lindbeck. Kotoko was one of her first big roles and since then she's been carving out a great career for herself. She's Kaori Miyazono in Your Lie in April, Futaba Sakura in Persona 5, was recently Black Cat in the 2018 Spider-Man game and recently hit the big screen as Cheelai in the new Dragon Ball Broly movie. To say she does a great job playing Kotoko is an understatement, as she's able to perfectly capture Kotoko's normal state, her anger and most importantly her triggered panic attacks. When you confront her as the boss of Chapter 3 she gives one of the best performances not only in the series, but one of the best vocal performances I've heard in a video game. She's really, really good.

Next we have Nagisa Shingetsu, voiced by another Erica, Erica Mendez. Erica Mendez has great range, and is primarily known for rough voices like the one she gives Nagisa thanks to her roles as Ryuko Matoi in Kill La Kill and Gon Freecs in Hunter x Hunter, but she also does cute high-pitched voices extremely well, such as Akko from Little Witch Academia and Yuuki Konno from Sword Art Online. As of recently she's actually been getting criticised for being in too many dubs, which is kind of insane to me, as she only has a couple of other big roles besides the ones I mentioned already. Maybe she gets so many roles because she's a great voice actor? Nah, couldn't be.

Satan, I mean Monaca, is voiced by Cristina Valenzuela, or Cristina Vee for short. Starting out with a YouTube channel and doing (really great) song covers of various anime songs, she's been voice acting professionally for a decade now. Her most famous roles are Homura Akemi from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Noel Vermillion from Blaz Blue, Killua Zoldyck from Hunter x Hunter and Shantae from the game series of the same name. She has over 200 roles credited to her name on behindthevoiceactors.com but despite that hearing her is always a pleasant surprise, as you never really know where she's going to pop up. Monaca is definitely outside of what she's most famous for playing, but she does a really great job. Props to her especially for managing to somehow make the most disturbing kissing sounds ever when she was forcing herself on Nagisa.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I don't think I've particularly drawn attention to it (apart from when it involved Monaca, because of course), but I think the VA for this game is really excellent, front to back, particularly where it counts.

Komaru in particular is a standout, which is good, because she's a character that goes through a lot of change, going from a scared shitless, whimpering mess to a heroine confident she can take on what needs to be taken on.

I'm also a fan of the Warriors of Hope's VA in total. I can understand why some might find them annoying, but I think they fit perfectly for what's going on, and there's a big VA hazard with the Warriors in that they all have dramatic character shifts at times - the first four having major freakouts that have them almost breaking down entirely, and Monaca turning from adorable and innocent to literally the spawn of Satan. If those aren't executed well, it can really drag the effectiveness of the scenes down, but I think it's pulled off really well here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Wonderful Dead 005

Alright, let's keep going. We could head up the stairs...

...or we could find more collectibles.

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Wh-Where did this come from?
Just be honest! I'm annoying, right!?
Uh... Maybe?
That's right, I knew it. I'm an annoying woman. I'm scared that...Master might hate me.
No, it'll be alright! If you don't want to be seen as annoying, all you have to do is remember the 3 don'ts.
The 3 don'ts?
That's right, just keep the 3 don'ts in mind, and he'll never think you're annoying.
Wh-What is this magic you speak of!?
What are the 3 things!? Tell me, woman!
The 1st one is: don't want. If you say you "want" this or that, boys will think you're demanding. If you want them to do something for you, first you must be a woman *worth* doing something for!
The 2nd is: don't be greedy. It's true, it is a woman's nature to never be satisfied and always want more... But you have to fight those urges to be the ideal Japanese woman.
And the 3rd is: don't last long. You have to give off an aura that makes boys think they have to take you quick or you'll disappear. And if you have that attitude, guys will start paying attention to you all the time.
Sounds simple enough... But how do you know this stuff?
Well, to be honest, I just came up with the 3 don'ts myself. I used to give love advice on the internet all the time.
Y-You... You're a virgin! How are you gonna give advice like that!
I thought you said that kind of experience doesn't matter! Chastity is a virtue!
Not right now it isn't!

On to the next floor.

We find some sparklies here.

♪ Jingle: Hidden Kids Discovered!

Looks like we missed Jataro. I'll have to see if we can backtrack and get everything we missed this time.

Next, we run into a fairly unpleasant looking area.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

What should we do? Are you actually planning to open this obviously creepy-looking door?
I mean, there might be something important or useful in here...
I-I'm not gonna help you out if a head starts rolling on the floor like last time!
Don't say that, it's scary...

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

Th-That's why I warned you! Argh, jeez, let's get outside!

Wait... This is...

What is this? It's written in blood... They're letters, right?
Hey, Toko, can you take a look at th--

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

Kyaaaah!
Gyaaaah!
D-Don't scare me like that! If you were gonna tag along with us, make your presence known! Jeez!
...So...it was here...
Um, Mister Haiji...?
You have no idea what this room is, huh? Well I'll tell you... This is a torture room. Those kids were torturing our loved ones in here.
Torture!?
You guys saw that broadcast too, right?

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

It actually had the opposite effect, though. We were all too afraid to come out...
Wh-What?
Such a despair-inducing idea... Someone with experience must have planned it...
You understand now, right? This room... It represents all the despair we were forced to feel. ...All the adults back at the secret base... Their loved ones were killed right here.
...All of them?
It's not an exaggeration. Every single one of us had loved ones killed in this room.
Then...those kids somehow discovered all your identities and found your relatives...?
Yeah... So?
Well, doesn't that sound strange to you? Do you really think those brats are capable of that?
Well, "capable" or not, that's what happened! And that's why we can't show any mercy, not anymore! I'll never forgive those bastards, never!

...You want to see it? When you do... I'm sure you'll no longer want to take their side.
W-We're not "taking their side"... It just... It seems like something's off to me...
...You go on ahead... I want to stay here a little longer. I have to... I have to tell the others about this place. I want to be able to describe it.
Mister Haiji, I understand how you feel, but... Those kids didn't do it of their own free will...
...Let's just go.
Ah, but...

He won't even listen to us. It would probably make him even more upset.
But...I wanted to ask him about his little sister, too...
You heard about that from your hallucinations, right? You shouldn't take that as fact...
And not just that, but... A lot of things seem off.
Off...?

The victims are all relatives of the people at the secret base... Doesn't that seem strange? No matter how smart those brats might be, how could they possibly learn who they all were?
Jeez... Things are starting to get fishy...
But we've come this far... No way we can head back now.
I'm sure it will be alright. You and me... We can do this.
Y-You're right...no choice. We have to press forward.

Next up, we get to blast some Junk Monokumas.

And then, on to the next level.

Huh? How do you know?
I can smell him... His aromatic, sweet fragrance is getting stronger...
...You mean his B.O. is getting stronger?
Don't say it like that! It makes it sound like he smells bad!
But then again, a smelly Master is good too... That itself is a reward for us...
Us...? You're including me in this?
Anyway, there's no mistaking it. He's close.
But first, we have to get the key.
I-I know! That brat called Monaca has it, right?
But before we go, let me nourish myself...
Ahhh.... Hahhh... Ahhh... Hahhh...

Nothing much here, we can only enter this door. Which leads to...

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

For some reason...this room creeps me out.
I guess they used this room as a war room. Probably made it creepy for ambience... Pretty blunt if you ask me. But I guess you can't expect much from kids...
Wow, you're mean. I'm glad you're on *my* side!
That's a backhanded compliment...

So, here our main objective is to blast this Bomber. And when we do...

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

Do you think Byakuya could be in there? This is exactly the kind of room where he'd be hidden!
Gch!

But before we head for that passage...

...collectible!

...this is the last Socki page. I think Socki just loving died. drat.

Anyway, on to that passage. Let's head up the ladder and see what's there.

♪ BGM: Alice in the Children's Land

But Master is inside a storage room... What kind of storage room would be up a ladder?
Well, let's just check it out for now.

♪ BGM: DSO_Ocean Breeze Dead End

We enter the room, and...

Huh? This person is Junko Enoshima?
She's different than how I pictured her. She looks like your typical, trendy teenage girl...
Wh-What are you saying? Do you know how many people have died because of her?
Sorry... You're right.
And more importantly, this creepy room... It's like a cult headquarters.

Komaru then notices something.

...What happened?

I see... No wonder. She has a wicked face...
Really? Looks like a normal smile to me...
That just makes it creepier. Posing with Junko Enoshima and smiling like this...

Hmph, no wonder she wants to be The Successor. She worships Junko from the bottom of her heart.
...But...don't you think it's a little strange?
Wh-What do you mean? Don't tell me you're still on about that ghost or whatever... If you're curious, you can question her yourself.
I thought Master would be here, since this is a hidden room and all. But I guess not...

There's pretty much everything Junko in here.

The photos are combinations of random backgrounds and Junko sprites. There's also some repeats.

Also, a collectible!

So Monaca was basically being completely ostracized by her family.

That's about it for us in this room. Heading on, we climb another ladder...

...and find ourselves at a secret door.

That brings us to a higher area at the same place we were before.

We find a locked door!

No doubt about it, Master *has* to be on the other side of this door. ...
...Huh? You're not gonna lose your composure this time? You're not gonna like, cling to the door and cry and shout and make ugly faces?
Well, it's true that I *might* do that, but it's weird hearing it from someone else.
When your purpose lies just before you, sometimes you need be as calm as a corpse.
...That's a creepy example.
Anyway, I'm not going to have some half-assed reunion now, but a full, joyous reunion later.
And when *that* happens, I'll cry and shout and make ugly faces in Master's arms...
...Are you sure he'd be okay with that?
There's no way he'd dislike it! Jeez, you don't understand men at all!
You need to be in love... A woman in love is the most beautiful woman of all...
...I'll try to remember that.

And then, one more collectible.

Who wrote that? If it was the Warriors, you'd think they'd have called Junko "Big Sis Junko" instead of "The Goddess". So was it a Remnant? Hrm.

And that'll be it for this update. Next time, we're going to begin the endgame proper.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just remembered something funny that I'll have to bring up next time, when it's more relevant.

Also, I wonder how much face time Mukuro had with Junko's followers, if any.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheMcD posted:

Who wrote that? If it was the Warriors, you'd think they'd have called Junko "Big Sis Junko" instead of "The Goddess". So was it a Remnant? Hrm.

It did call her big sis Junko.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Well, Toko, you did rescue Kotoko from the Monokuma kids, helped Komaru rescue her from Monokuma, and just let her go both times. Taking their side might be a little far, but it's not as much of a stretch as it should be.

Socki's saga is finally over with. Thank god. That was the weirdest picture book ever.

Also, I now see something :airquote: shocking :airquote: coming up related to Monaca.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I liked that dating advice conversation; it was charmingly biting. I feel like Danganronpa has great potential for making a cutting feminist/gender-queer focused script if it didn't go for things like, say, a molestation mini-game.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
So Komaru's just going to completely ignore the bloody letters that weren't exactly heavily blurred that said "Komaru Makoto"? She clearly recognized them as letters, and generally people should be able to recognize their own name on sight, without having to call on Toko to help.

Like, I suppose it was probably more blurred kanji in the original version, but still.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just remembered something funny that I'll have to bring up next time, when it's more relevant.

Also, I wonder how much face time Mukuro had with Junko's followers, if any.
Close to none I bet. Mukuro seemed to just be Junko's lacky.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MonsterEnvy posted:

It did call her big sis Junko.

loving d'oh. Still, it's weird to just bring up "the Goddess" as a name for Junko out of the blue.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Cyouni posted:

So Komaru's just going to completely ignore the bloody letters that weren't exactly heavily blurred that said "Komaru Makoto"? She clearly recognized them as letters, and generally people should be able to recognize their own name on sight, without having to call on Toko to help.

Like, I suppose it was probably more blurred kanji in the original version, but still.

Granted the image quality's not great, but here: ('Komaru' in hiragana, and then what I assume is 'Makoto', but I genuinely can't read it. The only part I can clearly read is the 'Ko' in Komaru)

I don't wanna bag on the localisation team too much, but this happened in the first game too, with Syo's signature message. I know it's significantly more effort to make something look legitimately scribbled in blood than it is to put some filters on a font and call it a day, but it does kind of lessen the impact.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

mycelia posted:

Granted the image quality's not great, but here: ('Komaru' in hiragana, and then what I assume is 'Makoto', but I genuinely can't read it. The only part I can clearly read is the 'Ko' in Komaru)

I don't wanna bag on the localisation team too much, but this happened in the first game too, with Syo's signature message. I know it's significantly more effort to make something look legitimately scribbled in blood than it is to put some filters on a font and call it a day, but it does kind of lessen the impact.

It's not that much effort. Below is the version from the DR1 translation patch that never was. In the official translation, the message looked like it was stencilled on.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So I finished recording Chapter 5 and the epilogue, and...

...uh... poo poo. OK, I know I missed a book that I couldn't backtrack to from where I started from. Same with the Hidden Kid. But where the gently caress did I miss a Kill List and a Bling Bullet? This is going to drive me nuts, I can tell.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I did miss the second Kill List in Chapter 5. I collected it, but then I realized I couldn't backtrack all the way back to collect the other things I missed, so instead of walking all the way back, I just reloaded my save. OK, that solves one mystery, but still, where the gently caress are the other Bling Bullets? I bought every shop clean I found!

Oh, also, check that Monocoin count. Gotta get that cash.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 24, 2019

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Fedule posted:

It's not that much effort. Below is the version from the DR1 translation patch that never was. In the official translation, the message looked like it was stencilled on.

Yesss see if I hadn't been so lazy I would have pulled that image as an example of it done right, I remember you (or maybe oren?) posting it when Trigger Happy Havoc was released. The things we could have had :sigh:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

mycelia posted:

I'll be honest, turning that upside down, sideways, and any which way, I can't actually read that. Doesn't seem to look like it'd map to the same message, either, though that might just be the blur. I can see the 'ru', kind of, but that 'to' and the 'ma's are incredibly blurred.

They should have at least tossed on more blur for the localization.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, here we are. Time to get into the endgame. We run up this winding platform...

...and arrive at an elevator.

The elevator then brings us to the roof.

Does that thing even fly? It looks like a floating hotel!

♪ BGM: Last VERSUS

And upon arriving up there, the game throws us into a massive Monokuma melee.

There's a lot of them, basically. This is the last battle we'll have with these Monokumas, so the game goes all out. This group isn't too tough if you just keep your distance and pick them off - it helps that the game lags quite a bit for me here, so it's easier to react.

Some application of Genocide Jack helps too.

Also, in the middle of the fighting, we find some sparkles!

Only one left. Well, that and the one we missed earlier.

After the group of regular and Guard Monokumas, the game drops a bunch of Ball Monokumas on us, which is pretty hard to deal with, since you always need to be moving or you end up getting hit in the crossfire. I do get hit a few times, but mostly only with noodles, not with the bomb.

After the Balls, the game drops a fuckton of Destroyers on us, which creates a massive dead zone from all the Destroyers shooting at me.

So I decide to use Link for combat purposes for the first time, taking a Destroyer and shooting the others with it. This doesn't kill them, but it causes them to go into their suicide attack.

This would be a problem if I hadn't positioned Komaru behind the pillar so the Destroyers get stuck.

Oh, and there's also some Junk Monokumas. Just for good measure. Random thought: Throughout this entire LP I have been incapable of just typing "Junk Monokuma". My mind works like some phone autocomplete and turns it into "Junko Monokuma".

We pick off the Destroyers stuck trying to suicide attack me.

Then use the more open battlefield to snipe the remaining ones.

After we take out all the Monokumas, the Monokuma kids blocking the path forward bail.

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

Let's move on.

Also, suddenly, Donkey Kong perspective.

We make it to where we want to go - the entrance to the Excalibur.

There's no obstacles here, it's just a straight shot to the place where we first met the Warriors of Hope. But there's a lot of collectibles to be had on the side paths. And here too!

Monaca loves Junko. Also, I just now noticed that her diaries also have her name as "Monaca Towa". So much for keeping that at least slightly vague with the whole "coming from a ghost" thing.

Another skill shop bought out.

Now, we'll have a few collectibles from the different side paths.

These collectibles are going to show us another side of the Warriors of Hope. A side that shows us them trying to cope or justify sticking through the abuse their parents inflicted on them. We will not be seeing one of these for Monaca, mind. Because Monaca is literally Satan and therefore harbors no such feelings.

Nagisa's strange hangup about expectations still had him trying to live up to his father's insane expectations.

I'm sure *you* wouldn't know this, but that's not rare among pure novels. With a name as prestigious as mine, you don't need a summary to move units.
But because this is written by a friend, I at least want to know the synopsis.
O-Okay, as a friend...I'll tell you. S-Since you're listening to the author herself, you better clean your ears and listen carefully.
Wait! Oh, well, actually...never mind. It's fine, continue.
Wh-What's the problem!? Calling me a friend like that, then snatching my moment away from me! You sadist!
I-It's not like that! I just think that, maybe because it is your book, I should go into it cold!
If that's the case...I guess I understand. But you should be more clear when you speak! You startled me so much, you nearly made me forget the idea for my next book!
Oh? You already have an idea for your next work?
Who do you think I am?! always have more than 200 ideas in stock! I just haven't decided which idea to use.
Well, maybe it would be fun to write about your own experience, like in this town.
Write about my own experience, huh? I've heard that advice before. But I've already decided not to write about this town. Or, maybe I should say that even if I do end up writing something, I would never publish it.
I'd want to read it, though... A novel about this city, written by you.
Like, a novel written about me...
About this town...and about what happened to you...
I'd rather keep it a memory... A memory just for myself.

♪ BGM: This Is the Path We Follow

Raise your hand if you were waiting for Komaru to say this the entire game.

...Wait, what?
What I mean is, it's not just your memory. It's both our memories, together.
Right?
...You're an average...idiot...but... ... ...Your hairstyle is weird.
I-It's not weird! My antenna is charming and really pretty! Jeez, I thought you were actually gonna say something nice to me!
Not in a thousand years! But... You made me happy.
Hm? Did you say something?

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

...You didn't hear me!?
I-I said that you're an average idiot, with a weird hairstyle and a brother complex!
Really? I heard you say "You made me happy"...
What!? So you *did* hear me!

Next, we have another collectible.

Jataro develops his self-loathing complex.

Another one.

Masaru is basically scared shitless of abandonment.

And in one side path that looks like it might not have any collectibles hide some sparkles.

Only one left now, but we can't get it now. We'll have to wait for our second playthrough.

And with that, it's time.

♪ BGM: DSO_New World Order

As a side note, every video from now to the end is a very highly recommended one. They have Kurokuma being Kurokuma and Monaca being Monaca, so obviously I'm going to recommend them.

Toko...we're going to be alright, aren't we?
We've come this far already, don't go freaking out now. They should be scared of *us*!
You're right...
...Yeah, I guess you're right! After all, we're a powerful team.
Wait, "powerful team"...? Can't you think of a cooler name than that?
Well then, you think of one! You're the Ultimate Writing Prodigy, after all...
Yeah, you're right... I'll think of something after the happy ending.
Yeah... After the happy ending.

Alright, let's do this.

We enter the room, and...

...huh.

♪ BGM: DSO_Mr. Monokuma's Extracurricular Lesson

So slow! This isn't a manga, it shouldn't take a whole year for a day to pass!
A black...Monokuma?
What is he...? He looks...vulgar.
Hey, gently caress off, Four Eyes! I wouldn't expect some pasty four-eyed emo chick to understand my charm. I get no respect.

I know Haiji told Komaru and Toko to "get the gently caress out", but straight up telling somebody to gently caress off is another step above that. Kurokuma is great.

Yo, I'm so baller, if a professional musician ever came to my concert, they'd retire the next day! I'd make 'em choke on the Haterade! And you're gonna be chokin' too when I'm done with ya!
Wh-What is this thing!? Blabbering on with its nonsense...
Could it...? Does it have an AI, like Shirokuma?
Didja say Shirokuma? So ya know him, huh? How's Li'l Bro doin'!?
Brothers...?
Well, he's *like* a brother! We bearfolk stick together, y'know!?
But that ain't important! Don't you think it's strange? Huh? Weiiird!? I'm talkin' about why Monaca ain't here!
To tell ya the truth... It's nap time for little Monaca...
...Nap time?
Well yeah, she's still a kid, after all! She wore herself out bein' all hyped up!

I love this, too. You make your way to the big confrontation with the mastermind, and when you show up, she's nowhere to be found because she's taking a nap. And it's not like it doesn't make sense, either - she's like eight years old. Even hellspawn needs to sleep occasionally.

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

If you're brave enough chicks to disturb her nap, you could always try opening the door...
...Which door?
Hell if I know!
Monaca made this little trap to keep out bigmouths like me, see?
If you open the wrong door, blammo! Instant death! Hm, hello nasty!
Buuut, if you leave her be, she'll sleep for like, three years!
Now whatcha whatcha gonna do!? Hurry! Choose! Dammit you're makin' me impatient!
Komaru... You've seen that Monaca kid before, right? So what do you think? Any idea which door she would choose?
Hm, rather than "choose," it's more like... Which would she even be able to access...?
But it can't be *that* simple. He said it's a trap, so it can't be easy.
Y-Yeah, you're right...

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

Well, it's time to choose. Basically, the game expects you to be paying attention and notice this particular twist about Monaca ahead of time in order to answer this riddle. Yes, those that have been paying attention will have noticed a contradiction - when we accessed Monaca's room, we did it by way of a ladder. There is no way a wheelchair-bound person would make their room only accessible by a ladder, so the only conclusion is that Monaca is actually not wheelchair-bound. And with that, we know which door to choose.

The blue one, which is only accessible by a ladder.

This scene and the one that will be coming in the next update combine to make my favorite in the game. These scenes are why I love Monaca, and I hope you will too afterwards.

We open the door, and...

...Monaca just comes flying out!

And she sticks the landing!

Whoaaaaaaa!

Kurokuma can't deal and falls out of his throne.

Good morning! Good morning!

Komaru shows an expression that is less "doesn't know what the gently caress" and more "is Komaru Naegi gonna have to smack a bitch?".

Huh... I thought that's Haiji's line...
I knew it... You can stand... Your legs aren't paralyzed...

And you were like that from the beginning, right? You just pretended to be disabled.
Ah, don't tell me... You saw my secret room, didn't you?
So that *was* your room...

But something didn't add up.

There's no way you would make a place like that your room if your legs were disabled.

Ufufu, you might have a stupid-looking face, but you sure are pretty smart.
But why pretend that you're disabled?
Because pitiful children are the most powerful, don't you think?
...Huh?

♪ BGM: Ghost Stories From the School District of Revolution

Monaca's home life was terrible... She didn't feel like she belonged there. But Monaca was more brilliant than her brother or her father, and they hated her for it... But then, I thought of a way I could counter their neglect and cruelty...
All I had to do was become a pitiful figure... Then, I would have the whole world's sympathy.
The wheelchair was inconvenient, of course, but thanks to the act, I acquired much...

They thought they were the reason I ended up in a wheelchair, so they *really* pitied me.
You tricked everyone all this time...
You... You're the worst... You're more awful than all the other kids...
Maybe. But to survive in that horrible world... I had to be. When Monaca talks, everyone freezes... When Monaca smiles, everyone stops smiling...
For Monaca, the outsider, the eyesore, to survive in that house, she did what she had to do.
I wanna ask you... The "Papa" and "Big Brother" you mentioned... Are they from the Towa family?
...Oh, so you know that much, too...
See, Toko! It *wasn't* a hallucination! The ghost was real!
I-It's a coincidence! Delusion and fantasy with a little coincidence mixed in!

♪ BGM: DSO_Mr. Monokuma's Extracurricular Lesson

It's true, fantasy and reality overlap sometimes! I'm so desperate to make my fantasies real... That's why, whenever I think about the girl I like, I strip her naked in my mind, and pose her--
Okay, now's not the time for that talk. Silent mode!

So... You're the one who made Komaru come here by using that skinny white-haired boy, right? Why would you do something that could compromise your own plan?
My plan...? Oh, you mean the Children's Paradise.
Well, personally, I don't really care about that. Monaca has a much more important job to do.
Does it have something to do with The Successor...?
Yep, that's right. The Successor is the most important thing to Monaca. And for that plan, I wanted you to come this far, Big Sis. After all... You are essential for The Successor...
...Huh?
Just what I'd expect from the little sister of the Ultimate Hope! You're so impressive, meow! Completely different than when I first met you! How you have the face of a savior...
Savior? Komaru has the face of a high school girl you'd find anywhere... B-But who cares about any of this!? Hurry up and hand over the key to Master's room!
Key? Monaca doesn't have anyyything like thaaat.
Don't play dumb! Hand it over!
Like I said, I don't have it! You want to strip search me to make sure? Monaca doesn't mind... But weren't you guys in a hurry?

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

You wanna break this controller, right? You wanna stop Mister Monokuma, riiight?
I-Is that!?
Monaca Towa, chief executive of Towa Group Robotics Branch...

And as long as Monaca has her magic, Monaca can control the Monokumas and the Monokuma Kids...
Y-You're the one brainwashing them, too!?
Huh? You didn't know that?
Hmph, this idiot brat slipped up.
In that case, I'll make you hand over the controller by force! And after that, I'm going to make you hand over the key to Master's room with even *more* force!
Hm... No, I don't think that's possible... After all, I have a trump card.
A trump card...?
A super big awesome battle robot the Towa Group Robotics Branch created...
That is Monaca's masterpiece! It's sooo much better than the other Warriors of Hope robots!
Sooo, Mister Kurokuma! I leave it to you!

♪ BGM: Decisive Battle With The Mage

Hell yeah! Leave it to me, Monaca!

The throne gets covered with a red cloth...

...which starts twisting and moving...

...revealing a loving massive battle robot.

Kurokuma gets absorbed inside the robot...

...and Monaca takes a seat inside the staff.

It's time to fight.

Also, the adults outside of Towa Hills are also seeing the battle and are cheering us on.

♪ BGM: The Warriors Of Hope

So, time for the big boss fight. This, as you might gather from the robot being comprised of parts of the other robots, is a sort of culmination of all the other boss fights, with some new stuff on top. Plus, it's a boss fight with Kurokuma banter. That makes it even better.

The main way to fight this robot is to shoot the flashing joint parts. This is not always easy.

The first attack we get to see is the one from Kotoko's robot - it moves towards us and tries to attack us with the axe.

Then we get to see the one from Masaru's robot - it tries to charge us with the drills. This one is relatively easy to dodge if you're always moving.

Monaca tries to make her attacks for the sake of the other Warriors of Hope we've beaten, but... well, she doesn't quite care about them that much.

Next, we get the attack from Jataro's robot - we get some explosive Monokuma bullets shot at us. I'm still not good at dodging these.

The main opportunity we get to hit the joint parts on the back is after the axe attack. The other ones don't give too much of a window (though you can get one shot off if your aiming is good).

If you hit all the joint parts, Kurokuma comes out of the robot, and you have to blast him.

After shooting him a bit, he jumps back into the robot, and we repeat the process with more joint bits flashing.

We also fall victim to a new attack - the robot jumps into the air, then drops back down, causing a bunch of explosives to spread around the arena. I happened to be standing right in one and got blown up immediately.

Here's a better look at the explosives. They stay static, but make dodging away from this giant robot a bit hairy, especially since the arena seems smaller than usual.

I also get smacked around by Nagisa's robot's attack - the robot preps for a bit, giving you a warning, but then quickly jumps up and blasts everywhere.

This fight goes on for four rounds of this joint shooting, and at the end, basically every joint on the robot is flashing.

Eventually, we win. Overall, I think I prefer Nagisa's robot fight for overall execution because of the cool arena, but this one is also a great fight, plus, like I said, it has Monaca and Kurokuma, so that obviously makes it better.

Anyway, I know this is an odd place to cut, but this is where we'll end the update for now. I have a reason for this, so just trust me on this for now.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I blindly and completely trust that beating a giant robot is certainly the way to absolutely undo all of Monaca's plans.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Has komarov figured out that she Mr. Fuckwit is clearly the successor and not Monica?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So hey, I believe that this is the only boss where using dance doesn’t let you do more damage by keeping the weak point exposed longer. You can still make Kurokuma dance of course but it doesn’t really do much to keep him out of the robot.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Has komarov figured out that she Mr. Fuckwit is clearly the successor and not Monica?

Nagito will chop off his Junko hand and stitch it onto Haiji. Maximum wild ride.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Nagito will chop off his Junko hand and stitch it onto Haiji. Maximum wild ride.

Hell, I'd be down with that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot the ladder thing was actually addressed. That was the funny thing I was talking about last time.

Dab. :stonk:

Also, that "I was about to donate to charity" line reminds me of Bender.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 27, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Now, this particular video is like 45 minutes long. I know that seems absolutely massive, but this part is the highlight of the game IMO. This particular mammoth of a scene is the best out of them all. Also, this is very much a "this will explain everything" scene. Expect a ton of things to get cleared up.

Anyway, last time, we fought Monaca's battle robot and won.

The robot blows up like the other ones...

...and sends Kurokuma's head flying out the window.

The adults that are watching everything outside Towa Hills are celebrating...

...and the Monokuma kids are also watching from a distance.

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

That's right. Now be a good little girl and just give up.
No... Nooo... Is Monaca gonna be killed? I don't wanna die...
No, there's no way I'd kill you! Of course not!
But...if you don't hand over that controller, it will *not* be pleasant.
N-No, that's no good... If this controller is destroyed, Monaca's plan will fail... And if that happens, Monaca can no longer be The Successor...
That's enough. Just hurry up and hand it over, or I swear I will spank you good!
Ugh... F-Fine...

And then this uprising will be over.
But that was... Well, it was kinda easy. Is it really okay?
Hmph, ramen broth and climaxes should always be light.
Or would you prefer an ending that has us getting beaten up and thrown from one despair to another? ...Just like your older brother.
I don't want that, but...
Well, you're forgetting, the *real* happy ending comes after we rescue Master!
So let's hurry up and end this.
...U-Um, it's...really okay to break this, right?
It's obviously okay! You can stop the Monokumas *and* the brainwash gets lifted!
...Right...

So yeah, this is obviously all fine.

And here we are. Decision time! So, if Komaru's hesitation and Monaca's entirely out of place smile didn't convince you that something is up, you're going to stumble right into the game's trap.

The right choice is to not break the controller.

♪ BGM: DSO_All All Apologies

Wh-What...? What are you doing?
S-Sorry... Something...is concerning me...
...Concerning you?
...Concerning you?

...Concerning or disconcerting?
Could it be that maybe you wanna be Monaca's ally at the last minute? So you're hes...hesi--
No need to hesitate! Just break the controller! End this already!
Y-You're right.

I can't say this is a surprise.

Don't... Don't break the controller...
Yaaay! Kotoko, you came to saaave me!
Shut up! Who the hell would want to save *you*?
...Huh?
I didn't know breaking the controller would also end the brainwashing... That would be bad. If it's just the Monokumas, that's fine, but the kids... We'd lose all the friends we made...
If that happens... I'm gonna be all alone!
What "friends"!? You brainwashed them!
But even then... I don't wanna be alone! Please, pretty please don't take my friends away!
Kotoko's right. Don't break that controller.
If you don't, I promise... I'll kill all of the adults and build Paradise.
Sh-Shut your mouth, traitor!
Kotoko... Why are you saying such mean things? We're friends...
N-No we're not! You're just a traitor who killed her own friends!
Oh please, please forgive me... Let's just forgive and forget... Live in the now. Let's kill adults together again...
Shut up! Be quiet! Die!
Wh-What's going on?
Just let those idiots fight. Hurry up and break the controller.
N-No! Stop! Please... Leave me just some hope... I'll even settle for just a little!
Wh-What hope!? You really think there's "hope" for you guys!?
Miss Komaru Naegi... Please listen to Monaca's request too...

If you don't choose right, you're going to replay this moment over and over...
So make the correct choice and end this properly.
Correct...choice?

Once again, we're given a choice.

Once again, the right choice is to not break the controller.

Komaru...? What happened?
Huuuh? You're not gonna break it? That's weird... Why not?

Didn't ya want to stop those crazy kids? Didn't ya want to be the heroine of this dirty, lame, penal colony?
Didn't ya want to be everyone's hope? Just like your brother...?
I... I...
Are you sure? If you don't break the controller now, this will just repeat over and over...
H-Hold on a second! This is backwards! Why do you suddenly *want* her to destroy the controller?
Because! This! Is! A! Magic! Scene!
A happy! Ending! Scene! With all the Monokumas! And Monokuma Kids! Gone! For! Good! Right!?
I-Ignore her! It's okay, you didn't make a mistake at all!
Kotoko, give it up. Watch the controller get destroyed...
Sh-Shut up! You be quiet!

Toko... What should I do...?
...I...will leave that decision to you.
B-But...
However... Because I'm leaving it to you, I will share the responsibility as well.
So... Just do what you think is best.
What I think is best...

So, how about breaking that controller?

Nope.

Th-That's right... Good...

Thank you, Big Sis! Thank you so much for not breaking Monaca's special controller!
Jeez, which side are you on!?
It would be such a bummer if the end credits started rolling before all the cast was here...
Cast...?
Hm... He'll be here soon. Probably running down the hallway right now...

This is probably not surprising either.

Seee! Just like Monaca said! Bullseye! We do have a sibling connection after all.
Y-You... Why are you here?

They're being so mean! Everybody's bullying Monaca! Monaca's getting picked on by the kids *and* the adults... Isn't that awful?
Big Brother, save Monaca!
Don't tell me that's what you're actually here for...

Don't be an idiot! Who the hell's gonna save you!?
B-Big Brother...
Stop calling me that! You're not my sister! You're just the old man's mistake... I didn't want you around! I never thought of you as family!
Why...? Why are you being so mean...? Monaca's just a child...
You're no child! You're a brat who never learned her place and now it's biting you in the rear end! It's over, Monaca. I'm finishing this now.
Please, stop Big Brother... I'm scared...
U-Um, Mister Haiji...

...Huh?
What're you doing? Hurry up and destroy it! End this nightmare already!
Please stop! If you destroy that controller, all of Monaca's hard work will be wasted... I won't be able to create The Successor... I won't be able to inflict despair on the world!
How crazy are you...?
Now hurry! Hurry and destroy it!
I-I know, but...
Don't! You can't destroy it, this Is some kind of trap!
Destroy it! Destroy it, Komaru!
Wh-What...? What's going on...?

Hrm.

Once again, a choice.

Once again, declined. Note that at any point, destroying the controller is a non-standard game over. So far, we have no reason to know that, just a lot of suspicion that there's something really, really important about this decision we don't know yet, and because of that, we probably shouldn't take the option that can't be taken back just yet.

Ah... I'm glad...you understood us.
What is this? Why are you siding with those brats?
I'm not siding with them or anything...
Did you forget what they did? If that's the case, then shut up and listen!
Listen...?

We cut to outside, where the adults have taken to chanting "destroy" in unison.

Wh-What is this?
All this time, the people outside were watching. They saw you defeat Monaca's robot.

Huh? Monaca has no idea...
They're still watching... They're waiting for you to destroy that controller.

You...showed us hope. We were able to finally stand up to those brats because of your speech!
That's why I'm even here! That's why I'm not afraid of these kids anymore! It's all thanks to you... You are hope itself to us...
But if you still can't make up your mind... I'll just have to help you choose.

Tell them what you've done. Everything. The whole truth. Then there's no way they'd side with you.
E-Everything...?
The reason why you want a successor. Everything. Tell them the truth, or I'll make sure you regret it.
F-Fine... I'll talk.

♪ BGM: DSO_Desire for Execution...

W-Wait, what!? That was a prank?
Oh, of course. Monaca didn't intend to end her own life at all. But you all took it so seriously.
And around then, Monaca met Big Sis Junko with the most miraculous timing.

Big Sis Junko is light itself that will shine down on Monaca's boring little world.
It's a miracle! Thank you, God!
At least, at the time I thought it was a miracle. But later I learned it was inevitable. She came into my life just to take advantage of me.
...Take advantage...?
By then, Monaca was already a chief executive at Towa Group's robotics branch.
Oh, Big Brother, I'm sorry about that... Wasn't it painful to watch your little sister surpass you?
And I'm also sorry to you, Kotoko. You didn't want to hear that little truth, did you? Big Sis Junko only cared about Monaca. The other Warriors of Hope were just bonuses.
D-Don't make stuff up! Big Sis loved us all!
Love? What are you talking about?
There's no way someone would love you. Your own parents didn't even love you.
Ugh... Ugh!

loving *ouch*.

I-I'm sorry, I got it... Stop, Big Brother...

A-At first... Big Sis Junko was looking for a corporation that could mass produce machines. So that she could use them for The Tragedy.

Concentrating all of the resources of Towa Group's Robotics Branch...

I lied. To Papa and Big Brother. I told them I was building robots that could be domestic helpers and emergency aid workers...
And the adults actually *bought* that story?
No... It's more like...we turned a blind eye. She was the outsider in our family... But she's tenacious, with a genius intellect. As long as she kept earning Towa Group money... We let her do whatever she wanted.
This brat took advantage of her position and started mass producing these monsters on her own. I didn't know what the machines were even for, so as usual, I let her be... ...But I did think they had a weird design.
And thanks to that, Monaca made Big Sis Junko so happy. She started using them for the incident. That's what helped the incident get bigger and bigger...
That's when the old man finally realized what was up. And when he tried to stop you...

If we stopped, Big Sis Junko would reveal the whole thing... She would make it known that Towa Group built all those murder machines. And if she did that... Towa Group's finished.
Monaca... Are you threatening me?

You made them, and then you sold the weapons to fight against them as well?
The more out of hand the situation got, the more profitable Towa became...
Hmph... Just what a filthy Demon would do.
We didn't have a choice... We were in too deep. If we went against the Despair group, they'd reveal what Monaca did under Towa's name. Then Towa makes enemies with both forces. We'd be shunned... Go extinct.
Anyyyways, Towa Group did the riiight thing and chose to coexist with the despair. And to the public, they looked like heroes, fighting against the incident. But behind the scenes... They were working for both sides.

Those idiot adults didn't know that, so they worshipped Towa Group like they were saviors...

He supported the incident for money and honor. He ended up being a patron of Big Sis Junko.
Towa Group... Junko Enoshima's patron?
So that's why you distanced yourself from Future Foundation... You didn't want to get found out.
No matter how rotten it is... Towa Group is still my legacy. I want to protect it.
But the good times had to end eventually... Just when things were gonna get much, much more fun, Big Sis Junko died.

Since then, Future Foundation gained power, and Big Sis's influence got weaker and weaker... Monaca tried her best to rebuild it by any means necessary...
But Papa just said "It's over," and gave up like all the fickle, wishy-washy adults do. Papa betrayed Big Sis. No matter what Monaca said, Papa just wouldn't listen anymore...
And you couldn't forgive him for that, could you? That's why you targeted this city.
That's what you told us, right?

We shouldn't give up. We can't abandon hope.

Adults are dirty Demons who killed Big Sis... You guys killed them off so well for me.
I was sooo happy... It was just as I thought, kids are so simple-minded.
The truth is...Monaca didn't really care about things like revenge and paradise...
Succeeding Big Sis's will was far more important. Monaca...doesn't want Junko Enoshima's legacy to end.
So that's how you came to the brilliant conclusion that you should become The Successor?
And in order to become The Successor... What exactly did you do?
Big Sis used to say all the time that she wanted to paint the world with despair...
If someone could do that... Don't you think they would make the best Successor ever?
...What do you mean?

Huh?
Causing war. If a war breaks out, the world topples back into despair, right?
War...? What are you talking about, brat?
You're bluffing. You're trying to trick us again, aren't you? You've got some ulterior motive.
If you think so...why don't you just break that controller Miss Komaru has.
Break the controller...and start a war.
W-Wait...why would a war break out if this controller is destroyed...?

Ow! Heyyy, don't call Monaca a liar! You told me to talk...
I told you to tell the truth, not spew more of your lies!
Enough of this. No more talk, destroy that controller right now!
Huh?
Hey, hey what are you doing? Don't tell me you seriously trust what this kid said...

Another choice.

At this point, there might as well be neon signs around "break the controller" going "THIS IS A BAD IDEA".

So you're taking this little brat's word over mine?
It's not like that...
P-Please, wait! I remember!
Remember...what?
A while ago, Monaca and Kurokuma were having a secret talk... I was listening in...
What are you talking about? Get to the point.
At the time, I thought they were kidding, but... Maybe they weren't... If that's the case...this is very bad.
Wh-What are you talking about!?
The Monokuma Heads the kids are wearing... They're linked to the Monokumas' power source. If that power source is cut off...the helmets explode.
Explode!?

But all the Monokuma Heads will blow up! And then, headless children everywhere!

B-But I'm serious! I heard them say it!
You know Monaca would totally pull something like that... She betrayed the Warriors of Hope... She could do it without even feeling guilty about it.

S-So mean, Kotoko! Making me out to be the bad guy...
Monaca doesn't *want* the controller to be destroyed!
Bitch...
A rift in the group now, huh? Well if you're both lying, you need to get your stories straight.
No, I'm serious! I heard it!
That's enough. Destroy that thing already.
N-No! Never, ever destroy that controller!
Huh...? Huh...?

Once again, we get to choose.

Blowing up the heads of hundreds of children might sound hardcore as gently caress, but I think I'll pass on the idea.

Hey... What are you doing? Why aren't you destroying it!?
Because...the children might die if I do...
They're *bluffing*! I've been trying to tell you!
But even if there's a small chance they're not... I can't do it. The kids wearing those helmets... They're just being brainwashed, none of this is their fault...
Not everyone involved was doing this of their own will!
Brainwashing? Are you serious? Who the hell cares about that...?
...Huh?

You've seen what they did to us! They deserve it!
You can't be serious... You're just blinded by revenge.
Maybe I am! But how could I not be!? After what they did to us... Not even the harshest revenge is enough to make me forget what I've been through! Listen! Listen, outside! The screams of the adults, the ones who lost everything!

Once again, we cut to the adults chanting "destroy".

But you were the one who told us to stand and fight, right? It's because of your speech that we're even here right now!
If you really are our ally, then finish this!
Ugh...ugh...
You are... You're our hope. Please... Don't betray us... Destroy the controller, please... Please just... End this for us... We just want it to be over...
*sob*...

H-Hold on a minute!
You can't fool me!
Me...?

...Hm? Are you talking to Monaca?
I get it now... What you meant by "war"... You're trying to start a war between Towa City and Future Foundation.
...What?

They'd think the adults who survived were behind it... And then they'd find out Towa Group was involved with manufacturing the Monokumas... From that evidence, I'm guessing Future Foundation would think the adults were Remnants of Despair. And if that happens... Future Foundation would crush this town immediately.

...Nope, that's not quite it! Cuz it won't just end with a war between Towa and Future Foundation.
...Huh?

Future Foundation isn't the only one who'd see the adults as Remnants of Despair. The true Remnants of Despair that are spread all over the world... They'd learn about the war in Towa City, and they'd come charging in.
Towa City would become the heart of a resurgence of the despair that Big Sis Junko left us. Worthy of the name of Junko Enoshima, wouldn't you agree?
Are you serious with this?
She can't be... She's bluffing anyway.
Even if it were true, all you'd have to do is explain the situation to Future Foundation, right? And you're with them, right, Toko? I mean, you could straighten this all out easily.
Hm, I dunnooo... Because this city shares a past with the incident, they won't take any chances.
The moment they see the headless bodies of children in the streets... It's over.
They wouldn't even care about their hostage or Miss Toko's testimony, don't you think?
...What!?
Child victims have quite an impact on people. It's just like I said from the beginning. Pitiful children are the most powerful.
So that was your plan... You need the adults to take revenge, so they will cause more child victims. You chose adults with no children because you thought they'd kill the kids with no remorse.
I mean, adults with no children wouldn't have a single bit of mercy, would they?
W-Wait, then... We were... We were sorted and kept alive...?
You used Komaru to incite the adults to take revenge against the kids, didn't you?
...Huh?
Ufu, fufufu...
...Puhuhuhu...

That delicate little girl maturing, growing to overcome the despair as hope itself.

At times, hope can be a terrible burden... It can be a drive to hurt others. Just like now.
Th-That's...
What did you think would happen if you gave people who watched their loved ones die hope? Didja think they'd all be positive, working together, nice and peacefully? Of cooourse not!
They will turn into Demons. Demons who live for revenge. You see? Just *listen* to them...

Once again we cut to the adults, however they've now traded in chanting "destroy" for just outright chanting "kill".

Now, don't touch that dial! This update is too massive for one post to hold, so check further for the second half!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Why is this happening!?
It's because they've been waiting for you to destroy that controller for sooo long...
...What?
Those people out there don't care whether or not the heads of the children are gonna explode... Rather... They sound pretty excited about it, don't you think?
That's the sound of people who have completely transformed into Demons.
And this is aaall your fault, Big Sis.
M-Me...?
It's because you stirred up the adults. It's your hope that turned them into Demons, y'know?
So that makes it all, aaall, aaaaaall your fault, Miss Komaru Naegi!
Wh-What are you talking about!? It's not Komaru's fault, it's yours!
W-Wait, listen to what she's saying!
If what she said is true, then she should have wanted to destroy the controller right away! She could have just destroyed the drat thing herself! Then she would have her war!
No, that wouldn't do! That would not be worthy of The Successor, now would it?

Sh-She can stand!?
She stood! Monaca...stood up!?

Th-That's not important right now!
Not just the city, but the whole world... How could this happen...?

Are you gonna kill the children and play the savior? Or...are you gonna spare the children's lives, and let them keep slaughtering the adults?

Who lives, who dies? That is your choice. There's no way to save both. One side has to die.
...And you're going to kill them.
Ugh... Ugh...
How it's about time you made your final choice. The final choice you can make as Komaru Naegi. Choose wisely.

Another choice.

But again, we have to choose to not destroy the controller.

No, you're gonna break it all right. Monaca knows.
...Huh?
You're gonna destroy the controller, and then the children's heads are gonna explode. And that's when the war begins...
And The Successor, a new splendid symbol of despair, will be born!
Y-You don't know that!
And like, there's no way I'd ever accept *you* as a successor in the first place!
There's no way you can be a vessel of Big Sis Junko!
Kotoko... When did I ever say that Monaca wanted to be The Successor?
...Huh?
Monaca's not the one who's going to be The Successor.

...Huh?
"Paint the world with despair"... That's what Big Sis Junko always used to say, y'know? And what could be more despair-inducing than having Makoto Naegi's sister be The Successor?
Sooo, the one who's gonna murder all these kids has to be Miss Komaru herself.
Wh-What are you saying?
Oh, don't worry, it's not hard. All you hafta do is destroy the controller. I've already prepared cameras so that the moment is recorded and sent to Future Foundation. With Monaca's video message as a bonus set!
Monaca already declared that Miss Komaru Naegi will succeed the legacy of Big Sis Junko.
Wh-What do you mean? Why would I...?
Like I said, don't listen to her! She's just trying to keep you from destroying it!
Puuuhuhuhu... Big Brother, you've just been saying that over and over... Adults don't like change.
You lovely little brat! Enough! Give me the controller! I'll destroy it myself!
But if we do that, the children will die!
What else are we supposed to do!? We have to end this massacre! What about all the adults who died? Are we just going to forget about them!?
D-Don't go dragging us into your revenge! Komaru has nothing to do with this!
That's right! There's no reason to kill them! You don't have to be a part of this one bit!
No need, no reason... No relation. That's the difference between Big Brother and Miss Komaru. This isn't personal for her.
But I knew that might be a problem. So Monaca made sure to make a special request.
To get Miss Komaru to want revenge... I needed help from her parents.
...Huh?

You too, Mom and Dad.
The climax is gonna start soon... Your child will be born again as The Successor to Junko Enoshima. Aha...ahahaha.

Are you ready for this? Take a potty break? Get a list of insults ready for Monaca? Have you mentally prepared yourself to surrender to despair, unable to suppress the urge to kill?
Then I'll show you!

Well, we know that when Monokuma kids bring in a TV, what's on that screen isn't going to be particularly pleasant...

Oh no.

Puhuhuhu...

♪ BGM: Absolute Terrified Girl

You don't have to show them, y'know... I'm already well aware how terrible you are.
After all this, you're still showing off, killing adults!? How crazy are you!?

...Komaru?

Puhuhuhu... Didja notice? She wrote the names of her children before she died. You have such loving parents, I'm jealous.
Family love... It sounds so nice. Something I've never felt my whole life.

It's just a lie...
Th-Those bodies?
No, it couldn't be! There's no way! Normally a dying message is something like... Writing the killer's name...
Oh, that's not a very convincing argument at all... You can't refute me like that.
You hate me, don't you? You hate me, right? I played with the bodies of your family like toys, and now you want to kill me, right!?

N-No, wait! *That's* a lie.
Well... I'm not so sure about that...
You said your parents *are* missing...right?
H-Hey, what are you--
Showing it to you right now like this? That means it's gotta be true, without a doubt.
Now are you gonna just forget the fact that this bitch murdered your own parents!? Shame on you!
That's not fair! You said she was bluffing a minute ago!
You can't think of them as children, they're not anymore! They're the ones who are Demons! Destroy that controller and finish it! Kill them all! Not just for your sake, or your parents' sake, but for everyone who was murdered!
H-Hold on, w-we can't just do something like that...

K-Komaru?
If you want me to destroy it that much, I'll do it!
I-I said hold on! Calm down and think carefully, Ko--
Shut up!
...Ah!

Who...cares anymore...? No matter what happens to adults... No matter what happens to children... No matter what happens to this town, no matter what happens to the world...
I don't give a drat anymore! I don't give a drat!
K-Komaru!

I... I can't become like Makoto...
...This was all determined from the very start. The hope you felt was just for the sake of making you feel the worst kind of despair.
I knew from the beginning that you would fall into despair.

...well then. We only have one choice now.

But then, this happens.

We're suddenly in control of Toko, and when we run towards Komaru...

Uwaaaaaaaaah!

Toko just straight runs over Komaru...

...knocking the controller out of her hand.

Toko then quickly grabs it herself.

What are you doing? Outsiders have no business interrupting us.

I'm not an outsider! We're friends!
Huh?
Stop shouting nonsense!

Just hand that over!
No! I won't give it to you! I need to protect this controller! I need to for Komaru's sake!

Komaru, meanwhile, is in full "komaru.exe has stopped working" mode.

What are you talking about? She was going to destroy it!
Th-that's not how she really feels! I'm sure she's actually thinking that... that she doesn't want to do it!
Huh? How the hell could you possibly know that?

I-I don't know how, I just *know*!
Huh?
I've been told you weren't the type to interfere. That's why I chose you to take on the role of escort.

But it appears that the information Mister Servant provided was false.

So, how about this?

That's right! It's the key to the room where Mister Byakuya Togami is locked inside!

Say, you wanna trade this key for that controller? If you do, you can go home with Mister Byakuya Togami!
You're... telling me to choose between Komaru and Master?
Now it's your turn to make a choice!

Fine then... hand over Master's key.

I knew you'd do it! Now, why don't you just hand me that controller?
No, not gonna happen.
Huh?

Because... I'm taking Komaru home with me as well.
What are you saying? You gotta make a choice, that's the rules!
Wh-who cares about your drat rules?

You want me to make a choice? There's no way I could ever make that choice! I wouldn't choose one and leave the other behind!

Both are... both are important to me! So... so...
I'll definitely protect both!

What the heck? That's just unreasonable.

Enough already! Just hand over that controller! I'll crush it!

I'll... I'll never hand it over!

Do you want me to hurt you even more?
Hurt means nothing to me!

I'm sure you don't understand this, since you have plenty of disposable friends, but I finally made a friend in Komaru and I'm not going to hurt my friend!

So... I'll never hand it over!
Shut up! In order to keep the kids under control and end this nightmare, this is the only way!

No!

You're the ones who are out of control!
Let go!
I won't let go!

Hey... what are you guys doing?

But suddenly, the entire room starts shaking.

What... huh?

Uh... I don't think this was supposed to be possible.

Why is it... why is it moving?
Monaca has no idea... the only ones who can control Big Bang Monokuma are you and Papa... you are the ones who programmed it that way.
How...

Big Bang starts smashing up the place. While the others run, Monaca just kind of... stands there.

What are you doing? Jeez, come on!

Toko grabs Komaru and runs.

This feeling... it's so familiar.

And as Big Bang smashes into the place again...

Could it be?

Meanwhile, Komaru and Toko have made it to an outside deck on the Excalibur.

♪ BGM: This Is the Path We Follow

Wh-What? *You* hit *me*.
My hand hurts... But that's not the only thing that hurts...
This is the first time I've ever slapped someone in the face! See what you made me do?
Now come on... Hit me back.
...Huh? Why?
I-Isn't it obvious? It... It makes us even...
I've never had a friend, so I... I don't... know what to do in situations like this...

So hit me!
F-Fine...

Th-That was pretty strong, jeez...

You're right... You're right.
My hand hurts...but that's not the only thing that hurts...
Yeah...

If you can't do something on your own... All I have to do is help you. If I can't do something on my own... All you have to do is help me. Helping each other... That's the advantage of working together, right?
...Yeah.
A-And just so you know, I won't comfort you or pity you... I'm not good at that stuff. And we still don't know if... If those were really your parents...
We can't be distracted by the stuff that doesn't make sense... Focus on what's happening *now*. What do you want to do right now? Have you decided...?
...Yeah. I have. I want to protect both.
I'm not going to play her sick little game. I'm going to save the adults and the children!
Hmph, greedy girl... Can't say I don't approve.

Oh, right, there was something else.

Big Bang has it out for our intrepid duo.

It's time for one more fight.

Or maybe it's aiming for the controller... What should we do?
...Fight. I'll fight. I've decided. I'll fight to protect everyone!
...Toko... Will you help me?
...Isn't it obvious?
It's normal for friends to help each other.

♪ BGM: Discussion -HOPE VS DESPAIR-

And here we are at the true final boss fight. The game waited all this time to bust out the discussion theme, and boy did it pick the right time.

Big Bang has several attacks, starting with him swinging his scepter at particular areas of the arena. Moving solves this problem fairly easily.

When Big Bang moves its hand away from its eye, that's our chance to attack. The color of the eye indicates what we should shoot with. So here we have a blue eye we shoot with Break.

Next up is a yellow eye, meaning we use Paralyze.

However, I think if you're not fast enough, you get zapped. I didn't notice any real way to dodge it except shooting it quick.

The next attack is a light blue, meaning Knockback.

Here, Big Bang summons an explosive similar to what Jataro did, and we shoot it back at it.

At times, after getting hit, it falls forward, giving you an opportunity to attack it with Genocide Jack.

It also has an attack where it charges up something on its scepter and then slaps the poo poo out of you with it. The only way to dodge this seems to be to switch to Genocide Jack, who is invulnerable.

Big Bang can also glow red and start charging at you. Here, you're supposed to shoot Burn at it.

From that point on, it's just a matter of dealing damage whenever you can until you enter the final phase.

The final phase is, surprisingly, some Despair Time inputs! The first input has Toko shock Big Bang with the stun gun...

...then Komaru shoots it with Paralyze, and then we enter a cutscene.

Toko goes Genocide and jumps super high into the air with Komaru.

♪ BGM: DSO_DANGANRONPA

Komaru and I are not alone!

As long as there are friends who help each other, there's no need to despair at all.

I found it... I finally found hope. A hope to call my own!

Right, Komaru?
Yeah, me too!

Hope lives on!

And Big Bang gets blasted with the super Truth Bullet.

And it doesn't seem to be taking it all that well.

Its head blasts up into the sky...

...to the bewilderment of Komaru and Toko..

...but then also makes its way back down...

...landing right back where it started.

And the eye is about to shatter, revealing who it was who piloted Big Bang! And it's...

...Shirokuma!?

And as Big Bang Monokuma lies defeated, the adults aren't too happy.

Th-That's... ...

I-It's not over yet... Nothing's finished yet... This is just... It's just delaying the inevitable! The children are still brainwashed, the adults still want revenge... In fact, they're even more angry now, having their hope killed like that.
So nothing's changed! This isn't a happy ending or a sad one! This isn't hope *or* despair! Nothing...has changed.
So are you gonna kiiill Monaca? Take a little revenge for yourself...? It's just fine, if Monaca is killed by Makoto Naegi's sister... That should be enough despair.
Give me...the key to Byakuya's room.
...Huh?
Hand it over.

Hm... At this point, I suppose I have to compromise. With no more hostage, Future Foundation will come, and the Remnants of Despair will follow. Maybe it's not going exactly to plan... But maybe a small-scale war will start... ...I'll compromise. Monaca has to be an adult sometimes, after all.
But this really has nothing to do with you two, does it? This town, this planet, they don't matter to you two. You just want your happy ending...
You're not even letting me have a small taste of despair!
Hmph, yak all you want. Let's go, Komaru.
Monaca miscalculated... I overestimated you. Though I guess Monaca was not the only one... You thought too highly of yourself as well. Monaca tried to imitate Big Sis Junko, you tried to imitate your brother... But in the end we both failed. Neither of us could live up to expectations.
...There's no way I could imitate him. And no way I'd want to. I am not my brother. Makoto is Makoto...and I am me.

And ending without hope or despair... Monaca will definitely...

I-I gotta get out of here!

I better not hear you beg for your life just because your plan didn't work.
...Huh?
You must have noticed by now. I was acting this whole time. ...But even now, I love you lots. Even though you betrayed me, my feelings haven't changed.
So... It'd be great if you could die in a totally adorbs death! Bye bye forever!

And off she goes.

You aren't satisfied with this, right? You aren't just gonna walk away...
I don't want it to end like this, either! Big Sis Junko would hate me if I let it end like this!
...Hope...? Despair...? ...I don't care anymore.

And off he goes too.

...Aha... Ahahaha... So this is what despair feels like...

And all she can do is laugh.

The Excalibur starts blowing up...

...and crashes into the ground near Towa Hills.

This causes Komaru and Toko to lose their footing. They've already made it back into Towa Hills and have entered the area where Byakuya is supposed to be kept.

Wh-what is that?

Whatever it is, there's really no point worrying about it now. More importantly, we need to save Master and get out of here right away.

♪ BGM: DSO_Desire for Execution...

I... I know I can save both the adults and the children...
Well, we can chat about it after we get out of this drat town once and for all!

I'm staying in this town.
... ...
...Huh!?

And that's the chapter! I missed out on one Hidden Kid, but thankfully, that's enough for an A.

You actually make me angry and happy each time... You have more influence over me than anyone. Let's be together for the rest of our lives. Grow old together, die together... For now, we depart. Take off towards our future.

And as a reward, we get high praise and a new skill. I haven't checked what it does yet, though it's related to Genocide Jack somehow.

♪ BGM: Chapter End

We're almost done. There's only two things left to do - replay Chapter 5 and get the stuff I missed, and the epilogue. We'll be doing them in that order.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hell of a place to stick a Simpsons reference.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
That was a whirlwind of a series of events, that's for sure.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Suicide pact? Just a prank, bro.

TheMcD posted:

D-Don't make stuff up! Big Sis loved us all!
Love? What are you talking about?
There's no way someone would love you. Your own parents didn't even love you.

:drat:

Also, regarding Monaca being able to detonate people's heads at will

TheMcD posted:

Tee hee...

Suddenly, loving explosion!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

TheMcD posted:

No... Nooo... Is Monaca gonna be killed? I don't wanna die...
No, there's no way I'd kill you! Of course not!

Why not? She deserves to die. Leaving her alive is just going to result in her trying all of this poo poo over again. What is wrong with all of you?

What war is going to break out with a city that's been reduced to rubble and had nearly all of its citizens killed?

There's video of the atrocities committed against these people. The adult's bodies are lining the street. Two of Future Foundation's members are in the city and have first-hand experience with everything that has happened. How exactly is a war going to break out? Do you think the remaining adults are just going to immediately attack when people come to rescue them? Is Future Foundation just going to see what happened and go "Oh, well I guess we better start a full-force assault without investigating anything"?

I have so many problems with what is going on here, and I have a feeling the epilogue is only going to compound those problems. Kotoko appears to be heading straight for a redemption resolution, which is flat-out unacceptable garbage.

Is this Despair and Hope thing like the Force of this universe? Does it have the same bullshit properties of people being one or the other, and a single action just pigeonholes them into the "Dark Side"?

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 27, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

What did you think would happen if you gave people who watched their loved ones die hope? Didja think they'd all be positive, working together, nice and peacefully? Of cooourse not!
They will turn into Demons. Demons who live for revenge.

I can't believe Kodaka predicted Metal Gear Solid V.

Psycho Knight posted:

Is this Despair and Hope thing like the Force of this universe? Does it have the same bullshit properties of people being one or the other, and a single action just pigeonholes them into the "Dark Side"?

Yes.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I still don’t understand the worship of despair or why junko and all these bad guys jump through hoops for a plan that boils down to “make you all feel like poo poo”

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That was some climax.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I still don’t understand the worship of despair or why junko and all these bad guys jump through hoops for a plan that boils down to “make you all feel like poo poo”

Same. If you're enjoying "despair" or getting off on "despair" (which Junko and the Remnants of Despair were clearly shown to in DR1& DR2)...well then it's not really "despair" then is it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, Monaca isn't exactly like Junko. She didn't set up her plan to fail here like Junko does, she just genuinely just had no idea Toko would change and that Shirokuma would try pull shenanigans. She basically set up an inescapable situation for Komaru that got interrupted by outside forces.

So I don't think Monaca is really as big on despair as Junko despite trying to follow in her footsteps. She even says she overestimated herself in trying to be like Junko.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Liffrea posted:

Same. If you're enjoying "despair" or getting off on "despair" (which Junko and the Remnants of Despair were clearly shown to in DR1& DR2)...well then it's not really "despair" then is it?

Junko is portrayed as being aware of the contradiction, which only makes her psychosis worse. Likewise, it's more the case that the Remnants are, much like the Warriors, worshipping Junko without being really conscious of the implications of that.

But I've come to the conclusion that when dealing with Junko, it's probably best not to think of her as a character in the story, but rather as an element of a game. Why do these things happen? Because there wouldn't be a game otherwise.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Psycho Knight posted:

Why not? She deserves to die. Leaving her alive is just going to result in her trying all of this poo poo over again. What is wrong with all of you?

(and if you're not joking, I can also add murder to the skinner one)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, is there any dialogue or anything in the non-standard game over triggered by breaking the controller early?

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Personally, I've always thought that despair requires hope to exist. Without hope, despair becomes resolution. People have to have some kind of hope of an alternative outcome in order to feel despair.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, is there any dialogue or anything in the non-standard game over triggered by breaking the controller early?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Psycho Knight posted:

What war is going to break out with a city that's been reduced to rubble and had nearly all of its citizens killed?

There's video of the atrocities committed against these people. The adult's bodies are lining the street. Two of Future Foundation's members are in the city and have first-hand experience with everything that has happened. How exactly is a war going to break out? Do you think the remaining adults are just going to immediately attack when people come to rescue them? Is Future Foundation just going to see what happened and go "Oh, well I guess we better start a full-force assault without investigating anything"?

They are going to investigate. Which will reveal Towa's connection with Junko. And they will think that the surviving Adults are remnants cause they are about to be going around parading headless children.